Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hey, Don Henley, Jon Bon Jovi and David Gilmour
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 3, 2006 23:58

@#$%& OFF!!!

Don Henley- The Eagles have not put a new album out in over 25 years. Thus, they are a nostalgia act that charges $100's of dollars to hear the same old songs year after year. Who even on their best day are not in the same class as the Stones. Henley forgets the Stones have been very active over the last 25 years.

Bon Jovi- I put his weak ass band in the same class as Poison or Britney Spears. His comments would be like Jessica Simpson taking shots Billie Holiday. Your out of your league boy. Besides 99% of Bon Jovi's audience is made up of 45 year old milfs and gay guys that want to hear Living on a Prayer (ie: nostalgia) and think he has a nice ass.

David Gimour- Is the only one of these people who has any credibility. But isn't he 60 plus and doing the same thing but on a lesser scale than the Stones? Perhaps he is jealous that he can't do it at the same level the Stones can in 2006?

I for one am tired of people talking shit about the Stones. The reason these people are picking on the Stones is because it is the year 2006 and the Stones are still the most visable band in the world as well as the biggest concert draw (2 million people in Rio) on the planet.

Not to say the Stones are perfect. Their $450 tickets are bullshit pure and simple. Plus, the Stones have been good at putting out product rather than inspired music for too long now. And not really pushing their new stuff in concert.

The only way the Stones put an end to all this criticism is if they put out one more masterpiece. If they went into the studio with a great producer (like Rick Rubin) and cut another truly great (not simply very good Voodoo,ABcool smiley Stones album. I would love it if the Stones could produce one more masterpice (that hit #1 on the US charts) to stick up the ass of hacks like Jon Bon Jovi.

Re: Hey, Don Henley, Jon Bon Jovi and David Gilmour
Posted by: drake ()
Date: June 4, 2006 00:11

Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion but even Gilmore would rather retire than continue on. I admire the Stones for continuing.

-Drake

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 4, 2006 00:15

Me too.
But I consider much of their "recent" output to be extremely good anyway.

I look at it like this.

What if VL or ABB had a been an album from an unknown band ? ...and the Stones didn't exist ?

Who ever made it would be hailed as the best new band in 20 years !

Because it's the Stones there are certain standards which were set with albums like Beggars & Exile. You can't compete with the aura around works like those.
The bar is set higher for a band with the Stones history... and the critics more critical !
I suspect there are lots of fans who actually prefer the newer stuff...but it's "educated" out of them by the folks who "know better" ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-04 00:17 by Spud.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 4, 2006 00:19

I completely agree with this post.

I think the Stones indeed have some serious producing problems.

Posted by: WNY Stones ()
Date: June 4, 2006 00:22

Hey James; I totally agree with you. Keep it up!!!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 4, 2006 00:31

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 03:16 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: June 4, 2006 00:49

I am with you, guys. And I also do like their new work. Sure, it doesn't rise to the level of the 1968-1972 (or 1978) albums, but I would be hard pressed to name any bands that have produced anything that does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-04 00:51 by Raoul Duke.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: June 4, 2006 01:53

While you're at it you can add another sour grapes: Billy Wyman.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: June 4, 2006 01:55

Spud, that's very true, the standard is always higher for the Stones. What pisses me off is the fact that these other artists think it's OK to criticize the Stones, like it's some kind of new sport! WELL IT ISN'T OK, and it's time us Stones fans started to let these artists know that we have alot of power in our numbers and we have can influence their popularity! Gilmore should know better, he's their age and isn't exactlty setting the world on fire these days; for that matter, as someone said, Bon Jovi has been recycling the same crap for 20 years and the same for the Eagles! The point is, the Stones are classier than they are and never take pot shots at other artists but these hacks are showing how SMALL and ignorant they really are.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: June 4, 2006 02:38

Debra - you are right. I am never going to a Bon Jovi show or buying one of their CDs again!!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: June 4, 2006 02:40

I was so mad I went to destroy my entire Bon Jovi collection. Then I remembered I didn't have one.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: June 4, 2006 02:48

James Kirk, Nice Rant but WHAT DID THE DUDES SAY? You forgot to include their negative quotes about the Stones (get Spock to help out)...

The Stones will NEVER have another #1 album or song again because the big music now is rap and all you see on MTV is "The Pussycat Dolls", "Black Eyed Peas", stuff like that..... They had the right timing most of their career but their kinda music is not what all the Zombies listen to on their iPod's these days. There's songs on ABB that would have made #1 20 years ago, back in the rock and roll days.....

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 4, 2006 02:51

Nikkibong, in all of his erudtion, has this to say:

zzzzzzz . . .

People can say what they want about the Stones. That doesn't change the FACT that they remain the world's greatest rock N roll band.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: June 4, 2006 03:24

NikkiBong, did you see that non GIMME SHELTER footage from 69 of the Stones doing JJF on YOUTUBE or MYTUBE? Now that is the boys at THEIR BEST !! PURE ENERGY AND Rn'R !! Just kicks ass....

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 4, 2006 03:27

yep, and i love it. but as i was pre-conception at that point, i have to make do with the 21st century incarnation of the Stones. And, for all intents and purposes, it ain't too shabby. (OK, OK, I know, it's not quite the LA Forum gigs that you were lucky enough to attend. But I, unlike you, can happily say that I still don't need a "2" in my age!) smiling smiley

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 4, 2006 03:48

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 03:14 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 4, 2006 03:55

Its weird cause they went through the whole "strolling bones" thing about 20 years and I thought they had shaken it off. Now its not the media slagging them for still doing it but other musicians. Jon Bon Jovi is one of those w*nkers who says he will retire but never will as long as there are middle aged old slappers throwing their knickers at him. Didnt Jagger say way back that he could still see himself doing this in his 60's. Its called vision, honesty, integrity...and a blues attitude!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home