Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ballad War-Horses
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 3, 2006 21:50

Call them kindler, gentler, warhorses. Perhaps they're not involved in warfare at all. Maybe they're ponies, not horses. What they are is the Stones ballads that have "war-horse" status - a.k.a. are known by even the most appalling of "casual fans." I'd say the Stones have 4 of these:

1) Wild Horses
2) Beast of Burden
3) Angie
4) Ruby Tuesday.

Anything else? Disagreement? ANYTHING AT ALL TO ADD, or are we all still fighting over TooTough's comments? (hey, guys, he's just living up to his name!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-03 21:52 by nikkibong.

Re: Ballad War-Horses
Date: June 3, 2006 21:56

Memory Motel was getting close to a semi-warhorse from '94-'99 until they eased up on it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 3, 2006 23:37

I think that pretty much covers all of them. The other ballads are too rare to be warhorses.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 4, 2006 04:49

Maybe add Waiting On A Friend to the list?

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: June 4, 2006 05:02

yeah that's it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 4, 2006 05:55

Yep, that's the top 4 four Stones-ballads that most people recognize & like.
But can they sing it?
I've never met ONE person, who could do that falsetto-part of Waiting on a friend....apart from me, before I touched the burning-magic nicotine.
The 4 you mentioned is the ballad-war-horses.

Date: June 4, 2006 06:43

DGA35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe add Waiting On A Friend to the list?

It's only been played five times other than '81 but,it should be played more.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 4, 2006 08:25

I don't think Beast of Burden can be really considered a ballad.

Yes, Waiting On A Friend should be played more! Ruby Tuesday wasn't played for 22 years. After 67 I don't think they played it until Steel Wheels tour.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 6, 2006 09:36

In my mind BOB and RT aren't in the same league as Angie and WH. Fool To Cry could maybe get in there.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 6, 2006 10:28

You can't always get what you want, maybe?

C

Date: June 6, 2006 11:32

The Worst has been played a lot, so is Slipping Away.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: June 6, 2006 13:41

BOB is one of my all time favourite songs by the Stones.
I have burnt in my mind the image of Keith grinning during his solo while strolling away, sunset on the background, on the catwalk in the "Let's Spend the Night Together" movie. Simply wonderful.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: June 6, 2006 15:18

Though they hardly played it on modern tours I would still consider "Time Is On My Side" as a warhorse. It's a very famous tune.

Date: June 6, 2006 22:23

dunhill Wrote:
> BOB is one of my all time favourite songs by the
> Stones.
>

ME TOO!!!!

I have burnt in my mind the image of Keith
> grinning during his solo while strolling away,
> sunset on the background, on the catwalk in the
> "Let's Spend the Night Together" movie. Simply
> wonderful.

YES.

Date: June 6, 2006 22:27

Alright.What is the definition of a warhorse?I thought it was a song played almost all of the time,not just a very famous song.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 6, 2006 22:27

"Let's Spend the Night Together" could be slowed down and played as a torch song. I wish they'd plsy "Almost Hear You Sigh" enough to make it qualify.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2006 22:48

Theif in the Night Wrote:
> Alright.What is the definition of a warhorse?I
> thought it was a song played almost all of the
> time,not just a very famous song.

if it solely was a song played almost all of the time, then You Got Me Rocking would be a warhorse ahead of many far more fanous songs - the reality would be a combination of both

I wouldnt consider anything that isnt on 40 licks a 'warhorse' - which would disqualify songs such as Midnight Rambler - because that album is nowadays the benchmark for any casual fan as far as having a basic knowledge of the band's history

Warhorses for me would be :

Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Satisfaction
Jumpin Jack Flash
Miss You
Sympathy for the Devil
You Cant Always Get What You Want
It's Only rock 'n' Roll

bubbling under (only excluded as theyre not played as much as the ones above, but could be elevated easily to the 'premier league of warhorses' if played more often)

Paint It Black
Lets spend the night together
Gimme Shelter
Angie
Ruby Tuesday
Get off of my cloud
Street Fighting Man
The last time

an average Stones show on the current tour runs for about 20 songs - sometimes 21. The ten songs in the first list get played pretty much every night and usually about 2-3 of the others do as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-06 22:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 6, 2006 23:34

Bravo Gazza......the Stones in 2006 would not do a show with at least 50% of the songs you list as primary warhorses. The secondary list of songs presents a "dilema" for the band and fans I think, since that's when they get worried that they must play the most recognizable songs in their cannon.

Date: June 7, 2006 00:06

Rip This,those primary warhorses have been played at every 2006 show (except for the concert in China).I think IORR was skipped a few times but,that has been it.In addition to those songs,there always seems to be good representation from the secondary list except for The Last Time & SFM on this tour.If they wanted to play their most recognizable songs,they would not be playing You Got Me Rocking all of the time.There are quite a few more recognizable songs that they rarely or never play.The non-warhorse songs have become a problem because,they have started recycling the same ones from recent tours.They always have done this but,not to the extent that they are doing it now.When the set lists went from 22-25 songs down to 20-21 songs the rare live songs were mostly squeezed out.(The exception was the No Security Tour when some warhorses were left out to make room in a 20 song set.)That's what it boils down to,the way I see it.If they had to play,let's say 23 songs per show again,at least a couple of the extra songs would probably be the ones that the diehard fans want to hear.One new,one from the catalog?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 00:07 by Theif in the Night.

Date: June 7, 2006 00:10

If you look at the set lists on the BTB tour, they really didnt use a lot of rare songs. mostly just war horses and new stuff from that ablum. Id say, set list wise, not show wise, there were great shows, but purleley set list wise that tour blew.

Date: June 7, 2006 00:32

That's not true.It's one thing if you don't like the songs they used but,there were a good number of rare songs.Just look at what was played on the b-stage ~ mostly rare songs such as Crazy Mama,Little Queenie,Under My Thumb,I Just Want To Make Love To You,The Last Time,Let It Bleed + they had the web vote which was always a rare song except for a few shows when Gimme Shelter was involved.It may have been rigged but,either way,they still played every song off the list other than I Go Wild.Ten out of the 13 new songs were played and there were no KR warhorses.Songs such as Sister Morphine,All About You,She's A Rainbow and Wanna Hold You were played live for the first time,Crazy Mama for the first time not including El Mocambo.Songs like When The Whip Comes Down,Star Star,19th Nervous Breakdown,and Factory Girl were played for the first time in many years.

Date: June 7, 2006 00:35

yeah, but they didn't play all of those in one night!!

Posted by: eric ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:36

How about these nuggets. i think most everyone know them anyway

Lady jane

Tears go by

Heart of Stone

Much bette to hear these than WH or Angie......Tears go by has been amazing on this tour. Heart of Stone in Philly at the Tower..WOW! Lady Jane never heard live but what a great song......Come on boys...mix it up!!!

Posted by: eric ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:40

You can add ... I got the blues.. to the ballad list as well. Imagine what kind of Show these boys could put on if they put some GUTS into the setlist. and then keep... worried about you in the rotation... with waiting on a friend...Hey imagine if they extended the shows 15 mins.... all this could be accompished... If crappy Mecca can do it so can our boys..15 min. more thats it.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:42

I would like to reiterate that I hate that expression "warhorse".

and that's all I'll say about that. Mom always said, life was like a box of chocolates.

Date: June 7, 2006 00:43

yeah, so Theif, I didn't mean to just "scoff" at your post, those are good rare songs they brought back, but to me it just seems like from night to night theres more variety on the last couple of tours than there was on BTB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 00:46 by ryanpow.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 7, 2006 00:47

>> Lady Jane never heard in concert <<

in 66 and 67 it was.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: June 7, 2006 00:48

ahhhhs.dffffsdcx v

v, vi, vii, viii, ix, x, xii, xiii, xv,...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-07 00:49 by ryanpow.

Date: June 7, 2006 00:53

Here's the set list of a '97 (October 20th) show that I attended ~ 12 non-warhorses that were not recycled from recent tours :

1)Satisfaction - warhorse /
2)IORR - warhorse /
3)Let's Spend The Night Together - wasn't a warhorse then (second tour it was used on since '67,first since '82) /
4)Flip The Switch /
5)Gimme Shelter - warhorse /
6)Sister Morphine /
7)Anybody Seen .... /
8)19th Nervous Breakdown /
9)Out Of Control /
10) Star Star /
11)Miss You - warhorse /
12)All About You /
13)Wanna Hold You /
14)Little Queenie /
15)Crazy Mama /
16)The Last Time /
[warhorse section]
17)Sympathy /
18)Tumbling Dice /
19)HTW /
20)Start Me Up /
21)JJF /
22)Brown Sugar ~

Date: June 7, 2006 00:57

ryanpow Wrote:
> yeah, so Theif, I didn't mean to just "scoff" at
> your post, those are good rare songs they brought
> back, but to me it just seems like from night to
> night theres more variety on the last couple of
> tours than there was on BTB.
>
>
>
> Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/06 00:46 by
> ryanpow.

You're right about that,at least as far as the Licks tour goes but,my point is that the songs they're rotating around now are mostly things that we already heard on recent tours.I would take less rotation if it meant more gems.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1338
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home