Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ever refused giving an encore?
Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: May 15, 2006 11:28

have they ever refused giving an encore? i can imagine that they did it in the 60s. but has it ever happen after 1969? they must had good reasons not to give encores....

Re: ever refused giving an encore?
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 15, 2006 11:30

In my opinon, if you've been doing practically the same encore for 30 years, you can't really call that an encore anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-15 11:30 by Reptile.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 15, 2006 11:37

If you look at an encore as an extra song after the regular setlist has ended, then they haven't given a 'real' encore in a long, long while. All is planned these days.

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: May 15, 2006 11:38

yeah...i know what you mean.but they have definitely been too exhausted b/c of weather or health or.. the lousy crowd several times.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 15, 2006 11:39

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the same encore for 30 years

Which one do you mean?

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: May 15, 2006 13:44

At the Vredenburg clubgig in 2003 Ronnie wanted to do an extra song (after the regular encore) coz the crowd was going wild the entire gig, but Mick refused...

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 15, 2006 14:04

There are a LOT of things Ronnie wanted to do that night at Vredenburg, some of them he could do (play a wonderfull show (No Expectations!!!), eat a banana, smoke while laughing at the no-smoking sign) and some of them he unfortunately couldn't do, like endlessly continuing on Saint of Me and IORR, or playing an extra encore... What a night...

I hope Paris II or Amsterdam II will provide me with a second live performance of Worried About You, I can't live with the thought of having seen it only once...

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: May 15, 2006 14:07

They were due to have performed Sympathy for the Devil as an encore at Knebworth in 1976, but obviously realised that the audience were too exhausted to go on any longer.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 15, 2006 14:08

saintmick Wrote:
> At the Vredenburg clubgig in 2003 Ronnie wanted to do an extra song (after the regular encore) coz the crowd was going wild the entire gig, but Mick
> refused...

Same thing at the Stockholm Cirkus show in 2003.

Date: May 15, 2006 15:29

We didn't get any "regular" encores in 1973, Brøndby - Copenhagen. As far as I know that was the same all over.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: May 15, 2006 15:30

mr edward Wrote:
> If you look at an encore as an extra song after
> the regular setlist has ended, then they haven't
> given a 'real' encore in a long, long while. All
> is planned these days.

Agree, but that's true of most acts. The encore songs are already on the setlist. I remember reading once that Springsteen, after a half-hour "encore", came out again as the fans were leaving the arena. Now that's an encore.

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: May 15, 2006 15:36

You can always create your own encore

like going to the next show, or whatever gives you pleasure...

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: May 15, 2006 16:05

Same in Circus: The crowd was so wild that Keith and Ronnie wanted to add one, but Mick refused. But he was really worn out and the show was so perfect with the ending of Sympathy...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2006 16:16

dj Wrote:
> mr edward Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you look at an encore as an extra song after
> > the regular setlist has ended, then they
> haven't
> > given a 'real' encore in a long, long while.
> All
> > is planned these days.
>
> Agree, but that's true of most acts. The encore
> songs are already on the setlist. I remember
> reading once that Springsteen, after a half-hour
> "encore", came out again as the fans were leaving
> the arena. Now that's an encore.

The longest encore I've seen Springsteen give at a show I've personally been at is about 70 minutes - he had already been onstage 2 and a half hours prior to that. At one show in '78 he decided to come back on long after the house lights had come up and when the crew were starting to dismantle the stage and played another couple of songs

The Stones rarely did encores up to and including 1973 or so. On the Licks tour, there were a couple of arena gigs in oct 2002 (Florida and Atlanta I think) where they just went straight back to the main stage after the b-stage set and played one more song - technically not an encore as they didnt leave the stage. Generally everything for years has been planned to the last second and theres pretty much nothing impromptu

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: May 15, 2006 16:58

Yes, during Licks 2002 in Ft Lauderdale they did no encore.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: May 15, 2006 16:59

They didn't play an encore at JFK/Philly in 1978. By all accounts the worst show of the tour, as Mick was sick, but my first show so still great for me. The crowd pelted the stage with bottles, etc after seeing the Stones fly off in a helicopter.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: May 15, 2006 17:20

posted about this before.. the encore is all in the set list before the light has even started so they don't really do an encore it's all pre planned and no matter whether they like the crowd or not it will be there and nothing extra is added in

remember at Wembley once Mick shouted out any requests and they played Gimme Shelter but we all know the lights were setup for that anyway and it was bound to be said by someone

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 15, 2006 17:31

Van Morrison did about 12 encores at a show I went to at the Greek in Berkeley in the early 90's - it was really done as sort of a joke. He left the stage and returned after each one. The encore section of the show last longer than the main set!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 15, 2006 17:57

About the "pre-encore" show, ie until 1981 (or 89 ?)

At that time the Stones were so DISTANT, we considered as normal there was no encore. It was obvious they would not "lower" themselves with an encore like common pop stars. I think the are encore they did before 1981 happened with Stewie Wonder in 1972.

Then they came a little more politicians, crowd-pleaser. And the encore became a ritual. I have to say I was both pleased (more music) but also disappointed when I attended for the first time to a Stones show with an encore.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 15, 2006 18:23

The Joker Wrote:
> At that time the Stones were so DISTANT, we
> considered as normal there was no encore. It was
> obvious they would not "lower" themselves with an
> encore like common pop stars. I think the are
> encore they did before 1981 happened with Stewie
> Wonder in 1972.

There were Sympathy For The Devil in Newcastle 1971, Satisfaction or Street Fighting Man in 1978, Key To The Highway in Leicester 1976.
And I suppose you could call Sympathy in LA and NY 1975 for encores.
Midnight Rambler in LA 73 and Baton Rouge 75, also
So, it's not that seldom.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 15, 2006 18:39

Cheers Erik_Snow, you are a real expert.

But I guess you'll concede it was not automatic. Midnight Rambler in LA 73 was Nicargua benefits show, right ?. Sympathy For The Devil LA 75 was something presented in the boots as a special after-midnight present (or something similar, it was on the special 3 LP box)

And nothing until 1971.

Date: May 15, 2006 18:50

Yes, the 73 and 75 encore was planned, I agree.
In Newcastle 71, they decided to do an encore after walking off stage, with the cheering crowd behind. I think it was Bill who suggested that they'd do an old number...Not Fade away I believe. That would have been fun!
Stones nowadays elude the encore-problem by sending up 10000$-worth of fireworks.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2006 18:56

they also did an encore of HTW (which was very rarely played that year) as a thank you at the infamous Boston show in 1972 where the show was delayed for several hours due to Mick and Keith being thrown in jail in Warwick, RI en route to the gig

Date: May 15, 2006 19:04

Here's from Newcastle 1971:

(.......)

"Curtain call, chappies," a roadie says when it's over.
"They don't do curtain calls," their publicity lady says.
"No one is leaving" Chip Monck says, sticking his head in the door.
"Should we then?", Mick asks.
"What do we do?", Keith says.
"Uh, Peggy Sue?"
"Not Fade Away?", Bill says
They pour through a narrow door and file back on stage into a cosmos of light and noise for their first encore in 3 years, "Sympathy For The Devil" followed by "Let It Rock".
(from David Dalton's book)

Date: May 15, 2006 19:05

And that particular Boston show was one of the best shows of the tour, too, which leads me to suggest that Mick and Keith should be in thrown in jail before every show.....

Date: May 15, 2006 19:27

Reptile Wrote:
> In my opinon, if you've been doing practically the
> same encore for 30 years, you can't really call
> that an encore anymore.

THATS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD ON THIS BOARD, BESIDES THE TIME THE GUY STATED THAT BRIAN WROTE START ME UP

Date: May 15, 2006 19:32

hey whip - give the kid a break! He's written far dumber things on this board.....

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 15, 2006 19:41

Gazza Wrote:
> they also did an encore of HTW (which was very
> rarely played that year) as a thank you at the
> infamous Boston show in 1972 where the show was
> delayed for several hours due to Mick and Keith
> being thrown in jail in Warwick, RI en route to
> the gig

that dusts off the memory...anyone remember what mick said upon finally arriving...some kind of quick apology...something like 'sorry to be late boston, we were trying out your jail'... that's not a direct quote at all...
but i was following that tour around a bit and now remember reading about that in the newspapers.

now, after reading your post, i'm also realizing that ladies and gents and all the exiles tour i've heard on boots (not very many) never have HTW...

wonder what they got poppped for...must've been some quick and smart processing to get them out like that...
police all thinkin', well we've got about 50,000 rowdy fans in one place that are NOT gonna just go home...not in '72...
ha... they would have probably driven to the hoosegow and sprung those dirty boys themselves...

wonder what the back story on alla that was...

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: May 15, 2006 20:16

Nothing to do with the Stones but I went to a Pearl Jam show a few years back where they did 3 encores, the first 2 having 6 songs each while the final set had 5 songs. My friend and I left after the second encore thinking the show was over. I had to wait for the boot to come out before I heard the rest.

Probably the most interesting encore I can recall hearing is on a Who boot from the 1989 tour I believe where there was some sort of incident between Townshend and Daltrey toward the end of the show, and Daltrey stormed off the stage and refused to come back out for the encore. So Townshend did his solo song "Let My Love Open the Door" instead of whatever they had planned to do.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 15, 2006 21:27

I don't think they did any encores on the 1978 tour except in Oakland (Mick's birthday) and perhaps at one other show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-15 21:27 by georgeV.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home