Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Just Heard On The Radio....
Posted by: RollingStonesUSA ()
Date: May 14, 2006 11:54

On the local station, the Dj said about the New Chili Peppers album, "It's the Exile of our generation"....I dont know about all that, it's a damn fine album....

"It's Good To Be Here, It's Good To Be Anywhere"-Keith Richards

"Halloween Is Every Night Of My Life"-Keith Richards

"I Got The Sticky Fingers, For Some Girls"

Re: Just Heard On The Radio....
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 14, 2006 11:55

but if it was really the exile of this generation, the Dj wouldn't say it for another few years!!

Posted by: RollingStonesUSA ()
Date: May 14, 2006 11:55

Agreed!

"It's Good To Be Here, It's Good To Be Anywhere"-Keith Richards

"Halloween Is Every Night Of My Life"-Keith Richards

"I Got The Sticky Fingers, For Some Girls"

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 14, 2006 11:58

Is anyone keeping track of all the Exiles of their generation?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 14, 2006 11:59

RHCP is has-beens in my eyes & ears.
They're good but so are many bands.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 14, 2006 11:59

seems like generations last about 6 months these days.

p.s. the term has been so degraded that some people called A Bigger Bust the next exile!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 14, 2006 15:39

Their new video is great.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 14, 2006 15:45

Exile my a*se

If we must find something to compare...
the nearest thing in my opinion was the Clash's London Calling.
Nothing's come any closer since.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: May 14, 2006 16:15

Blasphemy.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 14, 2006 18:18

I thought the same thing as I was listening to it yesterday. It's actually a carefully honed double CD as opposed to being accidentally a work of genius like Exile. The comparison is accurate insomuch as it's a two record (CD) set encapsulating all the styles of their career - and it's the best album they've ever done.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 15, 2006 01:24

the Exile comparison was meant as a compliment.......I think the Stones would appreciate the compliment...........your album used as a measuring stick for a band that today is arguably one of the best on the planet.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: May 15, 2006 01:35

there will never be anoter exile of any generation.

john scialfa

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: May 15, 2006 01:50

nikkibong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but if it was really the exile of this generation,
> the Dj wouldn't say it for another few years!!

Nikkibong, welcome to the Ultra Modern Supersonic Jetson's World were information moves faster then thoughts and Astro the robot dog pisses on your ipod........ please take a seat in any bubble chair that's free...You Make it to CDG young man? Kiss the ground for me will ya please....

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 15, 2006 02:02

I loved London Calling when it came out, but I don't think it holds up as well as, or has the depth & complexity of Exile. In fact, I now prefer the string of singles the Clash put out during 1977 - 80 to LC....I'm a less than rabid RHCP fan (like some of their stuff, not the early derivative stuff, but don't routinely all their albums when they're released), but what I've heard sounds very good...I got the Pearl Jam, suppose I should get - or borrow first - the RHCP's new one...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 15, 2006 02:07

I think the key to the statement is the word "our". Maybe he is not so much saying that they are similar albums, but they occupy a similar role in their respective generations. So for that to be right, they dont have to be similar at all. Just like people used to say that Jane's Addiction was the Led Zep of their generation, and crap like that...
I actually don't agree with the statement at all. Exile was a REVOLUTION. An nobody even knew it was there at first. But it impacted like a bullitt. The Peppers album (especially the "Mars" side) is very very good IMO, but it is no revolution. It is aband making a really good album. There is none of the outlaw spirit that is essential to Exile. There also is not the overall flow of lyrics in the same vein. Jagger wrote many of his best lyrics on Exile. But more than that he wrote kind of a Mission statement. (Sorry guys, I couldn't think of a better analogy..)

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2006 09:19

Did they jump the power to record the album...Love that piece by Keith where he says Exile cost us nothin' to make...

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home