Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Article from THE SUN ., a UK tabloid
Posted by: jfm.iii ()
Date: May 10, 2006 09:59

Aroung 9:30pm EST an article that has a comment from the Stones was released by Reuters. Drudge was reporting that he had brain damage and this was what followed, in case nobody saw it. I think this is getting ridiculous with The Sun:

Stones deny Keith Richards suffered brain damage
Tue May 9, 2006 9:38pm ET
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, recovering from a head injury caused by a fall last month in Fiji, has not suffered brain damage, a spokeswoman for the band said on Tuesday.

The Stones' New York-based publicist, Fran Curtis, issued a statement denying a report in the New Zealand Herald that Richards, 62, had undergone two surgeries since his accident and that doctors were concerned about brain damage.

"Keith Richards did not undergo a second operation. The first and only operation was done on Monday, May 8, and was 100 percent successful," the band's statement said. "There was no brain damage. He continues to improve as expected."

The European leg of the band's "A Bigger Bang" world tour would begin in June, the statement said.

The hard-living Richards, a founding member and mainstay of the band with lead singer Mick Jagger since the Stones formed in the early 1960s, has been in Auckland, New Zealand, under medical observation and treatment since taking a fall while on vacation in the island resort of Fiji in late April.

Last week, a spokeswoman for the band said Richards had suffered only a mild concussion and would not need surgery.

But the band issued a statement on Monday acknowledging that after complaining of headaches, he had undergone "a small operation to remove the pressure."

The New Zealand Herald, citing an unnamed source, reported that Richards had undergone surgery 11 days earlier, on April 28, to stop bleeding in his skull, and that medical staff feared for his life at that time.

According to the Herald, he was discharged a few days later but was readmitted to the hospital after passing out and complaining of major headaches.

The second operation, which the newspaper described as major surgery, involved drilling holes in Richards' skull, and removing a portion of the skull, to remove blood clots.

Ascot Hospital in Auckland declined comment on the report.

Richards' two daughters -- 21-year-old Theodora and 19-year-old Alexandra -- also were reported to have arrived at the hospital to join their mother at Richards' bedside.

The Stones' publicists have given few details of Richards' fall, which happened after the band's tour through Japan, China, Australia and New Zealand. Newspaper accounts have variously reported that he fell from a tree or from a watercraft while on vacation.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 10, 2006 10:18

RS spokespersons (whoever they are) are dealing in smokescreens and disinformation.... stalling tactics.

They know as little as we do- it's down to the Doctors and Surgeons- not RS.COM or Michael Cohl's goffers.

Who in their right mind is going to insure Keith, to tour Europe in June, after everything he's been through??? (and continues to go through).

Today's Sun newspaper paints a fairly bleak picture....so far, in the last two weeks of this enduring story, they have been, by far, the most accurate source of information.

Get well Keith- we're all rooting for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-10 10:19 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 10, 2006 10:27

The Sun is still the Sun and has not turned
into a scientific annual. They were 'lucky' to be close
to the truth; as they speculated on fatal surgery
several days before the second operation was done.

The Stones circle did not reveal the first surgery;
and that may comprehensive. But I dig people are mad at them.

The mysterious source might be one in the extended band, dont you think?
Whatever; when that source stops talking, the Suns fuel will fade away.
And it will be easier to reach the truth.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 10, 2006 10:34

This news in from The Daily Mirror, The Suns tabloid rival in the UK.

KEITH 'NOT IN PERIL'
By Allison Martin
THE Rolling Stones last night laughed off claims that Keith Richards was paralysed and could be left braindamaged after his fall from a tree.

A spokesman also rubbished reports that the 62-year-old rocker's family were holding a bedside vigil after a second operation in New Zealand to remove a blood clot from his brain.

He added: "There is no brain damage, there is no paralysis, there was no second operation and there is no bedside vigil.

"Keith has had one operation and has since been on the phone laughing and joking."

NickB

Date: May 10, 2006 10:36

Thanks, Nick! Fairly different news that was.
Now off to my garden and the Other World.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: May 10, 2006 10:47

Even the Sun writes ""Keith was very slow. He seemed frail and drained of energy."
What were tehy expecting???After any operation, I would love to see the "reporter" running after a week.
Keith is a survivor with more lives then a cat!!
Go Keith , GO!!!

Posted by: turd ()
Date: May 10, 2006 10:59

I just saw todays Sun newspaper (not online Sun) - says Keith is doing well, no permanent problems etc, should be back on the road soon.

Seems to be a discrepancy between their own news reporting - crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-10 11:02 by turd.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 10, 2006 11:46

If this has seriuos consiquences than it would be very ironic. Keith has done almost anything in all those years with drugs and whatever that should have killed him or at least fry his brain that much to be a second Ozzy Osbourne and not be able to play like he does. If this would end up in a bad way, and i'm talking about not be able to tour anymore and of course not something more serious, than his carreer ended because he fell out of a coconuts tree...
Doesn't sound very rock n' roll now does it?! On the other hand, it would be typicall Keith :-)

Let's just hope the man can recover and have a good live and hopefully be able to still play a couple of notes for us with the Stones!!!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: May 10, 2006 11:59

Maybe it would be best if they cancel the whole sout so Keith can get a proper rest.

I think it would be quite unwise to getting on a huge tour after this serious accident :-(

Date: May 10, 2006 12:01

Something in his brain cant stand the silent life in tour breaks
or in-between tours. Climbing/drinkin or shooting smack = all the same.
Worst he could do now would be going home to smooth CT;
hope someone kind-spirited will make a friendly kidnapping
of him to Jamaica for some spiritual rastafari jamming week.
Along with some CrashBox Lust etc.

(Yeah; I know I have quoted that he d i d n t climb; b u t given
he fell 15 ft. he must have hung the hammock way high... ;0I

I helped a kid that once fell about 15-17 ft. from a tree
and that was a scary thing. She had an actual mild concussion and broken ribs.
Guess it aint easier to fall wdown when you're 'old', as we have to regard Keith's biological age.

Date: May 10, 2006 12:03

When you think about it; four dudes around 60 years of age
maybe shouldnt have started this global touring craze at all...
Maybe this is the very event that will make them downsize things.
Cut the stadiums and crap; and give us musical gourmets
what we want.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 10, 2006 12:04

What is interesting is that although in some respects the SUN's reporting to date has been not that far off the mark, this latest story that claims that he might NEVER play with the Stones again is in some considerable contrast to last night's article on the ITV evening news - which DID feature a short interview with the surgeon. Certainly the little that he had to say did NOT give cause for alarm; the kind of alarm that you'd have every right to feel if evereything the SUN says is true. I would therefore prefer to think that the SUN is being unecessarily exaggerationist.

There are elements of this entire affair that do concern me however. The Stones camp silence is indeed pretty much deafening, and nothing feeds a rumour-mill better than official silence. The fact that a paper - which in lots of respects has so LITTLE credibility - holds to a particular reporting line for days, and then is by and large proved CORRECT - that DOES worry me !! What the hell do they know that others don't, and HOW do they know it ?

I really don't what to either believe - or THINK - amymore. Ultimately however, I have warmth in my heart for Keith, so even if it means that not only I, but everyone else too, have seen our last appearance by the Stones, I'll be very very sad but I'll live with it.

All good things to Keith. Be strong, get well, no matter how long it takes.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 10, 2006 12:32

country honk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doesn't look very good..... and until now Sun has
> been the one closes to the truth....
>
and the 'truth' is...what?

the official story which denies that there were TWO operations would suggest otherwise

Today's "Sun" mentions Anita and Marlon being there - but doesnt even mention his two kids by Patti who we KNOW are there. Doesnt say much for their credibility.

Strikes me they're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill as they tend to do, but covering their asses credibility wise by mentioning "sources" and "he may never play again" (which can also mean afterwards "but he may be able to as well. we didnt say he WOULDNT play again").

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 10, 2006 12:44

Well, the official sources (Stones) denied the first surgery until it had happened and then came out with a press release......

They have already mentioned the other kids being present. Mentioning Anita and Marlon was just adding to the first story....

But of course, all of us here want Keith to recover as fast as possible and me too want him to be on stage again.....

Being a long time fan (since 68), I want Stones to continue specially with Keith included - Stones without Keith isn't Stones anymore - then the bands time is over......

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 10, 2006 12:52

Sorry if it has been written before,
but in the Norwegian paper VG, Fran Curtis (Rolling Stones' spokesman) denies 2 operations, and also tells that the first operation was a 100% success. Keith is making big progress.
(I haven't had the time to read all posts before I wrote this)

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 10, 2006 13:00

Gazza Wrote:
> Today's "Sun" mentions Anita and Marlon being there

"Patti has been joined at Keith’s bedside in Auckland, New Zealand by his two children with Anita Pallenburg — Marlon, 36, and Angela, 34."

I take it that Anita isn't there, but Marlon and Angela are. Not that it matters.

Date: May 10, 2006 13:02

country honk Wrote:
> Well, the official sources (Stones) denied the
> first surgery until it had happened and then came
> out with a press release......

But the reported "first surgery" (ie from last week) DIDNT happen, according to the Stones press office - so they HAVENT actually changed their story.

The only surgery that they state DID happen occurred due to a change in Keith's condition which occurred after their INITIAL statement

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 10, 2006 13:16

Does any of us actually know what's happening?? Don't think so....

1) We have some official ressources, which are very slow to relaese any news..
2) we have a mixture of tabloid press wanting some drama / sell a good story..
3) We have more serious news like CNN to keep us updated with news somewhere in the middle...... - a mixture of official press release and very reliable sources at the location (giving news before Stones makes thngs officially)....

Date: May 10, 2006 13:20

country honk Wrote:
> Does any of us actually know what's happening??
> Don't think so....

>no..of course we dont, mate - but the impression I got from your previous post was that you were suggesting the Stones office revised their original story. They didnt.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: May 10, 2006 13:39

Quoting the Sun
"ROCKER Keith Richards may NEVER play with The Rolling Stones again, docs warned yesterday."
and then
"The Stones put back the Barcelona gig from May 27 to June in the hope Keith could join them. "
Its here a contradiction ???
what kind of journalism is this??

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: May 10, 2006 15:06

CindyC Wrote:
>
> Well so far, in this case, they have been more
> reliable than the RS press people. Besides, what
> they are writing is reaffirming my feelings this
> morning when I found out Marlon and Angela flew
> halfway around the world to be with him. Marlon
> has a family. If things weren't serious, I
> imagine that Patti would have told him to stay
> home as everything is fine.

Occasionally, even the Sun and National Inquirer do stumble on the truth, but not that often. Also, I never said the RS people were credible in any way. In fact, I am not very inclined to believe much of anything they say either. It seems that the only thing they are interested in doing is damage control and so far have done a horrible job at it (by the way, do they know Scott McClellan is out of a job? Perhaps they should hire him). The only saving grace for them is that Keith is in New Zealand and the local press is completely clueless.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into Marlon and Angela's visit. These people don't operate like you and me. They are flush with money and probably have a lot more free time, so the threshold for flying across the globe on two days' notice is much lower than it is for must of us.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-10 15:11 by Raoul Duke.

Date: May 10, 2006 15:20

READ THIS

[www.mtv.co.uk]

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 10, 2006 15:44

Even The Sun turnaround now: Keef doing very well

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Date: May 10, 2006 15:53

MORE TO READ

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: May 10, 2006 15:56

Thommie Wrote:
> Even The Sun turnaround now: Keef doing very well
>
> [www.thesun.co.uk]
> .html

Bloody hell, this is some change of line from the SUN. In the circumstances I'm inclined to think optimistically and positively. There's lots of life (and tunes no doubt) in our beloved old warrior yet !!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home