Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Take an honest look at the future of the stones- post 2006
Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: May 10, 2006 04:11

what is next for the stones after 2006- it seems this is a turning point for them almost like 69 when brian died and 81 when it was their " last tour"- does it make sense for them to continue?how do u see them continuing- sporadic shows with charlie, a mick& keith tour, or something else??

Re: Take an honest look at the future of the stones- post 2006
Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 10, 2006 04:37

it is over after this.......c'mon people....they are in their 60's----they just can't leap around for two hours and play 110 gigs for a yearlong tour anymore---time marches on!! they must go out on top, and another major tour might be pushing it......ever heard of something called "bowing out gracefully"?........how about becoming a parody of yourself!??.....yes, this is harsh, but so is the inevitable slowing down from old age---hey, in case you don't realize it--THESE GUYS ARE OLD MEN!!!! yes its true--sorry but thats life.. i enjoyed the last tour very much.. saw 9 gigs..but now they head to europe and will play less than two hours and maybe 18 songs??...hmmmm...please don't say " oh well, the old bluesmen played until they were 80 blah blah.." hey, guess what? the stones aren't bluesmen in that sense...they are high-energy rock and rollers and that is primarily how they will be remembered...........i hope

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2006 04:48

"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near..." - Jim Morrison

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 10, 2006 04:54

back to the same ole thing with this...
it's racist and weird if you believe that they are truly deep and soulful artists and writers and performers...
nobody is telling 80 year old b.b. king to get off the stage for godssakkeee!!!

all those great old blues guys on their last legs still showing up for festivals and knocking everyone out... jeezum crow come on guy....

time waits for no one and alla that... let 'em be...let 'em grow...let 'em evolve...if it gets past the pop spectacular stadium eventorama, maybe even cooler...like radio city...or even something lower key...why not?

not that i personally believe that their big touring days are over...
if they want to keep it going...i am sure the talent and drive are still there...once keith gets better...whatever shape it takes...changed or not...love is love not fade away...

let 'em develop...keep developing and expressing...let 'em keep focusing on what's inside of them and how to express it joyfully, regardless of the shape it takes... set them free from our expectations...just love 'em...all of 'em...past and present...
set 'em free cause
they did that for u & me in many ways...
and i don't think it's gonna end until they DECIDE to end it...
big and little injury challenges aside...

hold them close...set them free...allow them to be who and how and what they are at any given moment in their lifetimes...jeeze louise....
a lot of banquet is acoustic and low key and it's a certain high water mark album; folky and whatever wherever it went...
less product more soul; they got plenty of both...

an honest look at the future of the stones means that they'll be ten years older in ten years, if they live...same as you and me.
meanwhile, tho we bitch, i do...
they can still MORE than pull it off...at any level...
let it roll. let it rock.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 10, 2006 04:57

Can't take an INFORMED look right now, but if things work out, I thought they were fantastic in 2005-06, & remember the huffing & puffing Mick of 1981 & thinking it had to wrap up soon, not to mention Nick Kent's 1986 Spin magazine piece "End Of The Road for the RS - and this time it's true" written during what then seemed like a possibly terminal mid-life crisis, Charlie on heroin & speed, Bill moaning, Mick working on the feature length video of She's the Boss (Running Out Of Luck), the MJ/KR tension, no tour in site, and worst of all Stu suddenly gone.
Keith in March '77.
Charlie in 2004.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 10, 2006 05:04

IMO the Stones will take the Chuck Berry route. Meaning they will play the occasional show, but not in a touring fasion. I could be wrong and maybe they'll just stop, but I hope not. They arent youthful anymore but they still put on a fantastic show. If they take the Chuck Berry route then they'd just play amazing club shows and not big hit stadium shows. Interesting thought though. If they do call it quits I hope Ronnie and Keith reform the Barbarians again.

-Drake

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: May 10, 2006 05:43

Look, by all indications the Rolling Stones could go on a long time if Keith recovers. Mick is just in fantastic shape; Keith looked great strutting all over the stage before this whole incident. Besides, they look like they still have a great time together. The issue is not whether they *can* withstand another grueling, year-long tour, but whether they would want to. I don't know about the latter, but I am not buying the notion that it's all over after this.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 10, 2006 05:53

They will go on as long it is fun for them and the audience...
More power to them!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 10, 2006 05:59

lunar!! nailed it.

C'mon, it's almost over guys. We'll have a lifetime of memories to enjoy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2006 07:32

You know what? I think they will try to make it up to a 50th anniversary tour. And at the press conference, when Mick is asked "Is this going to be the last tour?", he'll calmly say "Yes, it will be". Do you imagine how much money Cohl and the boys can make out of that? Please forgive the bluntness, but this is business after all -big business, Fortune-magazine-cover-kind-of-business.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 10, 2006 07:33

KEEP ON ROLLING!!!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 10, 2006 14:55

Honest answer?

If Keith recovers (hopefully) they will do the European dates.
No more US or Asia shows, because of the timeframe. Then he has to
take care and make a long break.

Charlie will quit. I have the very strong feeling that he just wants
to do what he REALLY likes: buying horses, doing jazz.
His cancer made him think.

Mick is still hot for new stuff: making films, doing solo records.

Ronnie will find a way to get Rod back on the rock track (with Mac and Kenney).

I think that this is the last year of the Rolling Stones as a touring band.
Sorry to say.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 10, 2006 15:01

Everyone's saying they can't do it no more.. well guess what.. THEY'RE DOING IT RIGHT NOW!! And they're gonna keep doing it till they drop.

Date: May 10, 2006 15:04

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone's saying they can't do it no more.. well
> guess what.. THEY'RE DOING IT RIGHT NOW!! And
> they're gonna keep doing it till they drop.

You might not have noticed that one of them has already dropped!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 10, 2006 15:22

READ THIS

[www.mtv.co.uk]

Date: May 10, 2006 15:31

TooTough Wrote:
> You might not have noticed that one of them has
> already dropped!

Keith also got the European tour postponed in 16 years ago. That has nothing to do with them stopping to rock.

Let's face it: music would be lost without the Rolling Stones. So many bluesmen and rockers are dying nowadays, and there's so much 40 Cent and J Ho.. WE NEED THE STONES!!

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: May 10, 2006 16:22

TooTough Wrote:
> Ronnie will find a way to get Rod back on the rock
> track (with Mac and Kenney).
>

Rod Stewart will NEVER reform the Faces for a tour. He's stuck in his not so glorious of late solo career, and hes happy with crooning, he wont form another rock and roll band. rumor is hes slated to take up residency in Vegas sometime in 2007.

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: May 10, 2006 16:44

I think they will carry on..but no year long global treks anymore. Maybe a another couple of albums with a short tour to go with it. Charlie does not want it and Kieth and Ron may not be fit enough - so world tours are surely finished..but the Stones as a band - I doubt that they will stop anytime soon.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 10, 2006 16:46

I wish Mick and Keith would tour like Chuck Berry and I could be in the back-up band one night!

Elmo: Keith, what songs are we gonna play?

KR: Some Rolling Stones songs, Jack.

Date: May 10, 2006 17:10

I think the Stones should call it quits for tours. I saw them opening night in Boston and then watched them at the halftime show for the Super Bowl - It kills me to say it but age has caught up to the Stones.

I would like to see them try one more Studio CD - and really go for it -

Date: May 10, 2006 17:18

Reptile Wrote:

> Keith also got the European tour postponed in 16
> years ago. That has nothing to do with them
> stopping to rock.

Well, the tour wasn´t postponed in 1990, some dates have been postponed
while the tour was already running. This time it is/ was a life threatening
thing, not just an infected finger. At the moment the "rocking" is over.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 10, 2006 17:25

Keith's finger injury in 1990 led to just THREE dates being postponed over a period of four days (as far as I'm aware, the first time in their entire career that they had to call off a show due to illness/injury). Hardly the same as 'getting the tour postponed'.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 10, 2006 18:46

Well my take on it is this: If you say you wanna be rolled on stage in a wheelchair if you have to, and if you say you will do it until the day you die, then you better frickin' do it.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 10, 2006 19:14

Is is an ignorant person whom even deems themselve worthy to comment about the future of The Rolling Stones.

Why would you comment????? So you can say "I told you so". Do you need that?

Get a life. The future will be, what it will be. BE AN OPTIMIST.

Date: May 10, 2006 19:16

Saw BB last year. May be 80 but damn he still beat the shit out of loads of (good) young blues artists I've seen.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 10, 2006 19:17

bottom line, if they are breathing , they will tour again, thats it

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: May 20, 2006 06:17

what i'm saying is.....let 'em go people... we've had a lotta good (great) years and they have fulfilled all our expectaions (no puns please) and i think IMHO that the time is NOW and RIGHT to let it go...out on top...out with a recent studio work that was killer...and a world tou r that was'nt marred by anything having to do with age or ability...you really can't compare them to the old blues guys.. you just can't --its not fair to anyone....i saw john lee hooker twice in the last four years before he died and i can tell you it was awful---his family sent him out on the road to make money off his name and the band with him played 30 minutes before he came on stage ( with help, he could not walk), and then he did'nt know where he was and he could'nt remember the lyrics....sad!! do you want to see the STONES reduced to that?? i don't.. don't be selfish-----let them go.....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: May 20, 2006 06:24

Who ever said we were keeping them?

Date: May 20, 2006 06:30

Well,the Stones may not be where they were in '72 but,they are a long way from being rolled out in wheelchairs.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 20, 2006 07:03

The Stones still have some great studio work left in them. If they would decide to stop writting shitty ballads (SOL) and dance tracks (RFD) that are aimed at 15 year old girls.

Those days are over. Why would the Stones (Mick) want to compete on that level? Been there done that.

A great producer (Rick Rubin) could get the Stones to write another masterpiece and stop trying to appeal to the MTV generation. I'm not putting ABB down. I think it has some pretty great stuff on it.

But, now is the time the Stones should really grow the music up. And stop worring about singles charts and playing 75,000 seat football stadiums. They could become artists again instead of the business men they have become.

I say bring Rick Rubin and write mature rock/blues/Jazz that will expand on their legend. If they did that I'd bet my life it would sell 4 times what ABB has sold thus far. Rubin could do for the Stones what he did for Johnny Cash.

Plus, they will continue to tour (not monster tours of the last 17 years) until they drop.

The Stones will roll in the future.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home