Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble
Posted by: Too Rude III ()
Date: May 6, 2006 02:28

Hey everyone,

For you Americans out there, have you ever been to one of Levon Helm;s "Midnight Ramble" sessions up in his studio Woodstock NY? I've got tix for one in October. Apparently Levon & his band (not "The Band", mind you) jam out for several hours, abetted by "surprise guests" which have included Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Elvis Costello, Garth Hudson, and others. He does this once every few months.

ANYWAY, curious as to what it'll be like! (And, also, if it's a BYOB affair).

Levon's singing again, thank god. (Had throat cancer a few years back, like another famous drummer we all know and love...)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-06 02:30 by Too Rude III.

Re: Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 6, 2006 05:06

you're a lucky guy...heard a few of these, but never attended. he's singing again, but refuses to sing Band songs anymore

Date: May 6, 2006 05:47

yeah yeah - BUT he played W.S. Walott Medicine Show recently - thank GOD I really do love the Band!!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: May 6, 2006 07:41

Too Rude III:

Well, well, well...

You are in for a treat, my friend. I was lucky enough to score a last minute ticket for the 3 December "Ramble" (feat. Emmylou Harris) and subsequently had occasion to write a little bit about it for this board:

7 December 2005

Saw Emmylou Harris and The Levon Helm Band last Saturday night.

Every six weeks or so, Levon opens up his home studio (in a beautiful barn) in Woodstock, NY and basically throws a big house party--"guests" bring cakes, pies, chicken...whatever. Plus, beer, wine, and any other refreshments. It's about 150 people surrounding the musicians in a big wood and stone room. Also, it's easy to wander around and out onto the large decks surrounding the barn/studio to smoke, drink and socialize. When they describe the tickets as "invitations," they're just being accurate--the only thing that feels like a "concert" is the calibre of the musicians.

Smokin' R&B and gospel from the Alexis P. Suter Band. Then, Ollabelle (great young gospel/country/r&b band featuring Levon's daughter Amy on lead vocals and mandolin). The right girl holding a mandolin turns out to be a very sexy thing, indeed.

Then, Emmylou with Malcolm Burn on bass/percussion, and guitar genius and Dylan alum Larry Campbell on mandolin, fiddle and acoustic. Plus, Malcolm's wife adding some sweet harmony. "Pancho & Lefty," "Orphan Girl," "Boy From Tupelo," "If I Could Only Win Your Love," "Save The Last Dance For Me" "From Boulder To Birmingham" and more...

Levon started out with Springsteen's "Atlantic City" on mandolin with his dog Muddy sitting at his feet. Then Emmy comes back out to do "Evangeline" with Levon for the first time since "The Last Waltz." Then, a tears-in-your-eyes "Angel Band."

Then Levon's full band comes out (including Larry C.)--horns, keyboards, the girls from Ollabelle singing, Little Sammy Davis on vocals and harp. Mighty.

"Don't You Tell Henry," "Forty Days And Forty Nights," "Don't Wanna Hang Up My Rock'n'Roll Shoes," "Bring It On Home To Me," "Back To Memphis," "Baby Scratch My Back," "Crazy About My Baby," "W.S. Wolcott Medicine Show," "Hoochie Coochie Man" and a personal favorite: Dylan's "It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry"--done like it was bein' played in a whorehouse.

I hung out for a lot of the show in one of the balcony areas that run around the room. With me were two fourteen year-old kids who had begged their parents to bring them from Washington, DC to Woodstock specifically so they could get a look at The Soul Of The Band. Meanwhile, there was a ten year-old kid below pounding along on the floor (very much in time) and singing with Levon on a rollicking "Don't Ya Tell Henry." His name is Jackie and he catches frogs with Levon in the pond out back during the summers. The distinguished National Book Award-winning critic and historian Peter Guralnick ("Lost Highway," "Last Train To Memphis") was there, as was former Atlantic Records president Danny Goldberg. They were joined by cops and firemen from Woodstock, Vietnam vets, and friends of Levon's from around the world.

The Soul, Gospel, R&B, Country, Blues and Rock & Roll that we heard are some of the very best expressions of what is possible in America. At a time when it feels as though the identity of the country has been hijacked by the narrowest, most petty and most limited of political movements, it can be very difficult to retain faith in the value of this big, funky American experiment. Being with Levon, who hangs his Marine Corps. flag right next to his Rasta flag, made everyone there feel that much better about the high spirits, good humor and the acceptance that are still possible in these old United States.

More than five hours of music and laughs. Then out into the starry, moonless Woodstock night and back to the Woodstock Inn. The next morning I woke up to the first snow of the season. Then had coffee and scrambled eggs before venutring out in the woods to find "Big Pink," where The Band and Dylan had worked on "The Basement Tapes."

A couple of goofy photos later, I was on the road home...

Too Rude: When did you say that you were going? I heard that when the weather is warm, Levon will sometimes sit out back by the pond with the early arrivals and play mandolin.

Like some kind of dream, I say.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: May 6, 2006 10:07

You're lucky guys, Ican can tell you! Sittin' here in Europe with noc chance to see Leveon and his Band. He's one of the greatest musicians we have on this planet and The Band was probably the best one in the world....
Last week I ordered The Midramble Sessions on CD...hope to get the stuff soon!

So many thanks to Levon and The Band for what they've done for music!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Date: May 6, 2006 15:03

Thanks for the review, Rev! What you've described sounds like an amazing occasion. I'm looking forward to October, indeed (hopefully still warm enough for mandolin-by-the-pond). Magical!

Posted by: Beaver ()
Date: May 6, 2006 15:20

A few weeks ago I bought a DVD with a CD of The Midnight Ramble Session vol 1. with Little Sammy Davis on vocals/harmonica. Great bluesy stuff. Well worth buying. Found it on Amazon. I'm thinking of buying volume 2 as well.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: May 6, 2006 18:35

Wow! Thanks for the great review, Rev. Robert W., would love to attend! Looking forward to Too Rude's report this fall. Good to hear that Levon's singing, again.

Date: May 8, 2006 22:03

October will be a wonderful moment to visit Woodstock. Depending on the weather and on the summer's rainfall, the leaves should be changing to glorious effect right at the time of the Ramble. Warm, dry days and cool, clear nights in the Catskills in early Fall...

If it wasn't for the Stones, I would never have gotten wise to all the great Blues and Country that is the backbone of everything that Levon does. Hats off to Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill, Charlie, Mick T. and Woody.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 8, 2006 22:18

Too cool.

Posted by: Sharks Will Cry ()
Date: May 8, 2006 22:23

Whatdya know! I'm going to that Ramble too!

Think he'll get mad if I contribute my hand-farts to "Million Dollar Bash"?

"We're all gonna smell it...that million dollar ass!"

Date: May 17, 2006 03:27

Beaver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few weeks ago I bought a DVD with a CD of The
> Midnight Ramble Session vol 1. with Little Sammy
> Davis on vocals/harmonica. Great bluesy stuff.
> Well worth buying. Found it on Amazon. I'm
> thinking of buying volume 2 as well.

Both volumes are excellent, but Vol. 2 features some of Levon's first vocals since his recovery from throat cancer. It's great to hear and his singing has only gotten stronger since that recording...

I'm going to have to get back up there myself. A must for anyone interested a dose of true Americana. The fact that it's in Woodstock and so close to Byrdcliffe (famed Arts & Crafts artists' colony and 1960's home to Dylan) and to "Big Pink" puts the whole thing way over the top for me.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: May 17, 2006 09:11

I'm from from Germany, but I'm thinking about a trip to the BIG PINK.
Vesterday I've got Levon's Midnight Ramble Sessions Vol.II and I can tell you, the opener is going to kill you! Perfect sound which creats an unbeliveable mood.
....excellent sidemen in Levon's band...

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home