Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Faces vs Sweethearts together
Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 14:07

Sweethearts togheter, beautiful song!!! New faces is a lovely one too, but has that "60's song recorded in the 90's" feeling. The two are good, and I think the whole Voodoo Loung album (excepting Brand new car and Suck on the jugular) is maybe one of their best ones.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:03

The only thing worth listening to of these two horrendous songs is Keith's lead playing in New Faces - and that's only due to the boot box sets that revealed how he went about recording them!

Other than that, neither are listened to and have been removed from the albums.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:15

dandelion1967
Sweethearts togheter, beautiful song!!! New faces is a lovely one too, but has that "60's song recorded in the 90's" feeling. The two are good, and I think the whole Voodoo Loung album (excepting Brand new car and Suck on the jugular) is maybe one of their best ones.

BNC and Suck are the only two songs on it that i like. sigh. dammit. hate this.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:15

Date: February 6, 2013 18:16

Silver Dagger

perfect. my fave song from one of the best bands around. new cd forthcoming, too...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:36

T&A
dandelion1967

BNC is a poor man's Jump On Top Of Me.

Date: February 6, 2013 18:44

treaclefingers
T&A
dandelion1967

BNC is a poor man's Jump On Top Of Me.

c'mon, man. one is a song about an automobile, the other is a nasty song about sex.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: February 6, 2013 19:30

BNC is awesome too. Lecherous and dirty R&R!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 6, 2013 19:53

mr edward
New Faces is ok, but Sweethearts Together is one of the worst songs the Stones have ever recorded. I cringed when I first listened to it and still skip it.

Sha la la. Give me a break.

^ this sums it up for me to perfectly.
Considering what we all know they COULD have put on the album (Brew, Stew, b-sides, etc), putting ANY filler on Voodoo Lounge is a crying shame. Brand New Car, Suck on the Jugular and Blinded By Rainbows are all worse though.

Voodoo Lounge - doesn't really stand the test of time.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 6, 2013 20:04

jamesfdouglas

to be fair, it was never told there would even be a test so prolly it didn't study properly....

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 7, 2013 01:18

The harpsichord on "New Faces" is nice but "Sweethearts Together" wins this big time.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 7, 2013 03:39

I prefer Sweethearts Together I actually like it. I love the accordian bit. New Faces is in the okay category. Out Of Tears is better than both of them by far.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 7, 2013 04:13

Sweethearts Together.... it's like the Everly Bros on Spanish Fly....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-07 04:29 by Rockman.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 7, 2013 04:30

New Faces. Loved the instrumental outtake on Voodoo Stew (Brew?) with flute. They should have kept that in there.

Date: February 7, 2013 04:37

T&A
jamesfdouglas

to be fair, it was never told there would even be a test so prolly it didn't study properly....

Look, it was a pop quiz, it should have known. These things are never a surprise...or something.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 7, 2013 05:12

It doesn't seem to be the popular view around here, but I really like both of them. To me, they both fall into the category of pretty songs, lovely to hear when I'm in the mood, but not something I choose to listen to all that often.

Date: February 7, 2013 06:30

latebloomer
It doesn't seem to be the popular view around here, but I really like both of them. To me, they both fall into the category of pretty songs, lovely to hear when I'm in the mood, but not something I choose to listen to all that often.

Look, I'm a man, man, and while you may have little street cred, I do (OK, I actually have no street cred, just mock bravado).

And even I say YES to these songs. They beat the hell outta the rockers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-07 16:52 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: February 7, 2013 07:22

I am joining latebloomer and treacle's camp on these songs! New Faces in particular is an inspired, strong melody, its the arrangement is sparse and tasty. It also has lyrics that very much tell a story, suit the mood of the music, and unlike some other latter-era tracks, sound unforced, genuine and creative. It's one of Mick Jaggers most successfully realised lyrics over the past 30 years, where he really finds the essence of a theme without overt ornamentation.

Sweethearts is a touch more generic in its lyrical approach, but the light touch of the playing and arrangement make it a nice addition to the album in my view. It's a damn enjoyable album all in all!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 7, 2013 08:02

You can put me in the 'these songs are terrible' camp. To me both of these songs are cheesy, soap-opera styled songs. I can see these tracks being used in a 1995 powerpoint slide show of photos of Mick by a female obsessive fan who cries every time she hears these songs.

I was 12 when this album came out, and it was a big deal for me. YGMR and Sparks Will Fly were my favorite at the time. Crap like Faces and Sweethearts just disappointed me. Is this my band? Did I hit 'FM' on accident??

Both of these songs make Indian Girl sound like a symphonic masterpiece. Heck, I'm going to listen to that track to get this bad sound out of my mind.

Sweethearts together... We'll take life as it comes... DAAANNNGIT!!!! Now you got me singing this crappy song in my head.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2013 16:20

flacnvinyl
You can put me in the 'these songs are terrible' camp. To me both of these songs are cheesy, soap-opera styled songs. I can see these tracks being used in a 1995 powerpoint slide show of photos of Mick by a female obsessive fan who cries every time she hears these songs.

I was 12 when this album came out, and it was a big deal for me. YGMR and Sparks Will Fly were my favorite at the time. Crap like Faces and Sweethearts just disappointed me. Is this my band? Did I hit 'FM' on accident??

Both of these songs make Indian Girl sound like a symphonic masterpiece. Heck, I'm going to listen to that track to get this bad sound out of my mind.

Sweethearts together... We'll take life as it comes... DAAANNNGIT!!!! Now you got me singing this crappy song in my head.

Both are absolute shit, yes. It doesn't matter how old or young you are, they're both shit. The reviews of VL at the time reeked of baby boomer identification 'look how we've matured and are still keeping it real' when talking about these songs. VOMIT is what comes to my mind.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 7, 2013 21:23

GasLightStreet
flacnvinyl

Both are absolute shit, yes. It doesn't matter how old or young you are, they're both shit. The reviews of VL at the time reeked of baby boomer identification 'look how we've matured and are still keeping it real' when talking about these songs. VOMIT is what comes to my mind.

I wrote a very angry response to the implication that anything enjoyed by female fans is automatically vomit-inducing shit, but I won't post it. Time I took one of my temporary vows of iorr-silence.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 7, 2013 21:40

Green Lady
GasLightStreet
flacnvinyl

I wrote a very angry response to the implication that anything enjoyed by female fans is automatically vomit-inducing shit, but I won't post it. Time I took one of my temporary vows of iorr-silence.

Go for it Green Lady, I'll back you up! Nobody puts baby in the corner...

Date: February 7, 2013 21:46

alright fellas...this is war....man your battle stations....have a swig from your flask and be prepared...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 7, 2013 22:12

You guys crack me up. Didn't realize I was declaring war. My wife is a Stones fan and she hates these songs. They are JUNK. OVER-EMOTIONAL junk.

I am certain that there are Jagger-obsessed girls who have grown up with posters of him in their collective bedrooms, and they enjoy these tracks with a box of tissues, but they are lousy songs.

Here is a list of 'ballads' that are worlds above New Faces & Sweethearts. No particular order. All with better melodies, better lyrics, less cheese and less fake emotion.

Woried About You
As Tears Go By
Time Waits For No One
She Smiled Sweetly
All About You
Lady Jane
Almost Hear You Sigh
Wild Horses
Memory Motel
Waiting On A Friend
Angie
Ruby Tuesday
Heaven
Out Of Tears

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 7, 2013 23:05

Like both songs but love Sweethearts Together, my friend used it as his wedding song and a band performed it live and it was great, so many people at his wedding asked who that song was by and loved it.

Date: February 8, 2013 02:01

GasLightStreet
flacnvinyl

And yet, I'd give my left nut to see New Faces over YGMR at the next show.

HUH?!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 8, 2013 02:24

New Faces versus Sweethearts Together is a bit like asking which tastes better, Alka-Seltzer or Pepto-Bismol? And while some may prefer the taste of one over the other, viewing the list of ingredients that went into the making of either is enough to cause stomach upset.

Date: February 8, 2013 04:24

stonehearted
New Faces versus Sweethearts Together is a bit like asking which tastes better, Alka-Seltzer or Pepto-Bismol? And while some may prefer the taste of one over the other, viewing the list of ingredients that went into the making of either is enough to cause stomach upset.

And ironically, by taking either, you actually cure your upset stomach.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 8, 2013 04:43

treaclefingers
stonehearted

And ironically, by taking either, you actually cure your upset stomach.

But what if you take it when you don't have an upset stomach--is it still good for you, or just the opposite?

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: February 8, 2013 04:48

Voodoo Lounge is by far my favorite later years Stones album and I love Sweetheart Together.

Also very surprised all the hate for Brand New Car, this is pure Stones to me.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home