Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: springsteen
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 25, 2006 23:23

I know alot of American Stones fans, and I can honestly say i don't personally know a single American who likes Bruce - lends credence to the Erik theory...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 25, 2006 23:30

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know alot of American Stones fans, and I can
> honestly say i don't personally know a single
> American who likes Bruce - lends credence to the
> Erik theory...

A lot of people liked him. And then he got Uber popular and that's when I think a lot of people backed away from him.

In a way, I want to reference Elton John. In the early 70's he was writing really good stuff and then it turned kind of top 40, less rock and roll. That's how I feel about Bruce. He's not really top 40, but he is less rock and roll.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: April 25, 2006 23:31

good call on elton - he was all aces with me until post-Blue Moves (a HIGHLY underrated album, imo)...had a lot to do with his Taupin disassociation, too...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 25, 2006 23:33

Elton has just gotten lame. As much as I respect Reg he is just not that good any more. I do not like Bernie Taupin one bit but he gave something to Elton that made both of them better.
Bruce on the other hand changes continually. I have never been a fan of any incarnation but he keeps wanting to challenge himself and his fans. That one has to respect. I just don't like hi smusic that much. Except that new video "Pay me my money down" is funny.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: wemblywammer ()
Date: April 25, 2006 23:33

That says a lot about Americans then, supports my theory that the worst thing that ever happened to the world was the Americans winning the War of independence. look at them now "out of Control"

Date: April 25, 2006 23:36

Bite Me

Date: April 25, 2006 23:37

oh, he has loads of American fans, wembly - just not many "without taste"

as to the war of independence, we're doing what we can in the world to make that debacle look pale by comparison....

Date: April 25, 2006 23:38

No I think you just bit!

Date: April 25, 2006 23:39

Yeah, you think we're nothing but a bunch of little screw-ups. Well, we're not! We're really BIG screw ups.

Date: April 25, 2006 23:40

btw, what is a wemblywammer? What is a wammer? Did you mean whammer?

Date: April 25, 2006 23:42

right - let's nail him on spelling

Date: April 25, 2006 23:42

I'm all about winning the battles, not the war

Date: April 25, 2006 23:45

hell - he didn't spell "wembly" right for that matter....and he's whining about stuff that happened in the 1700's...

Date: April 25, 2006 23:50

Yeah you caught me out Cindy, was a bit smashed when I did my log in not only did I spell Wammer/Whammer wrong but could not even spell Wembley correctly, realised later but did not then know how to change it. Anyway don't want to get into politics or anything, just having some banter, have lots of American friends, but if I say "Team America" is the funiest movie I have seen for a long time, then you will probably know where I am coming from.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 25, 2006 23:55

All right, all right, I leave you kids alone for a few hours and you're all over this good humored wemblywambley guy like a couple of hyenas.

As much as I like to run with you two, Cindy and Tod, I'm going to have to say I've got bunches of friends, American friends, who absolutely love Bruce...still to this day they travel long distances to see him. Personally, I can take him or leave him since the mid 80's, like Cindy said, but there are bunches of people here who will buy anything he produces. Hell he could fart in a microphone for 40 minutes and they'd buy the deluxe box set.

As for the Elton comparison, I like Chelsea's response. I loved his early music; hell, who didn't, but he has tanked since then and I don't think we can say the same about Bruce, at least not in my opinion.

Date: April 25, 2006 23:57

wemblywammer Wrote:
but if I say "Team America" is the funiest movie I have seen for a long time, then you will probably know where I am coming from.

TEAM AMERICA! Now you're talking! That is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. OMG, I watched it 3 times in one weekend because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Rone-ree, i'm so rone-ree.

Date: April 26, 2006 00:36

Lukester Wrote:
Hell he could fart in a microphone for 40 minutes and they'd buy the deluxe box set.

Who wouldn't buy that, i know I would! hahaha, you're gross.

Date: April 26, 2006 00:39

I should say out of respect for Bruce, because I really do like him, that it would be some good quality farting...maybe not something that would get a lot of airplay on top 40 radio, but some good farting nonetheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-26 00:54 by Lukester.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 26, 2006 00:46

I just previewed his new cd on the net....Thought I was gonna die! Had to turn it off after 3 or 4 tunes. (...love The Rising though!)

Give War a Chance

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 26, 2006 01:07

Thanks for picking up on my post.
But I really mean it, I think of having a beer, driving a car, jogging or whatever, when I hear Bruce. Things you do in the summer.
Quite honestly I don't like a lot of his newer songs,
I like his early work, that came right from the heart.

If you're into politics and stuff, it's different.
It's like being a "woman-rights-woman", and hearing or looking at Shakira.
You'd think she's discraceful.
But if you're a horny teenager, you like to see her dance.
(And I don't understand what JKentF meant by that rude post, he don't answer my e-mail.)

Date: April 26, 2006 01:11

Hey Erik,
How are things in Norway today...I assumed that JKentF was being funny...joking...and that in his subtle kind of way he was telling us he was stoned...am I right, Kent? It's all good fun, right?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 26, 2006 01:17

Lukester Wrote:
> Hey Erik,
> How are things in Norway today...I assumed that
> JKentF was being funny...joking...and that in his
> subtle kind of way he was telling us he was
> stoned...am I right, Kent? It's all good fun,
> right?

Hi! I thought he meant I was the fool. I'm still not sure.
Well, today is the first summer-day, and I'm free from work. I've been biking all day, having picnic with my brother, fantastic! My legs are num.
That's how we do it up here, the winter is so long, that we acts like sheeps in the spring, when the sun starts to warm. In one week, my legs have fallen of, from the abuse.

Date: April 26, 2006 01:21

Ah the spring thaw...sounds good my friend.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: April 26, 2006 02:14

StonesTod Wrote:
> I know alot of American Stones fans, and I can
> honestly say i don't personally know a single
> American who likes Bruce - lends credence to the
> Erik theory...

I'm an American who is a huge fan of Springsteen and I'm from California, not the Northeast. I agree with Gazza and the other guy that Bruce, especially with the E Street Band, is the best live performer there is. As much as I enjoy Stones shows, I rarely leave a Stones show as satisfied as I do from a Springsteen show. Last year on his acoustic tour, I saw him do 50 different songs in just 3 shows. In 2002-03, I saw him do 63 different songs in 8 shows, so besides playing longer shows than the Stones, he also gives you more songs per show and throws in far more suprise songs per show than the Stones.

I just bought the cd at lunch today, and have not had a chance to listen to any of it, but I saw Bruce on Good Morning America this morning. I think this is going to be a real cool tour ahead for Bruce. If you don't like this album or tour, the good thing is that Bruce should be back with the E Street Band next year.

Gazza, I want to hear your comments after you see the Dublin, which is a full month before I get him here in Los Angeles. Like you, I was at that 2003 Dublin show which was amazing.

Date: April 26, 2006 02:17

you just underscored my point, Halup. I don't know you!

seriously, I'm happy some of you get off on Bruce...different strokes, I guess. But, we can now never be friends.....you're lucky.

Date: April 26, 2006 02:18

nice post Halup

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 26, 2006 04:11

Hey, BV, KILL THIS DARN THREAD....its killing the joy of being a Stones fan...no comparison between "Bwoose" & da Stones...

Make it go away..

yawn, again...

JR

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 26, 2006 04:14

youre prolonging it!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2006 04:59

This was a great thread. Hearing many differing opinions about someone other than the Stones.
The Boss...some of us love him, and some of us despise him.
Truthfully I don't think he has the crossover appeal to the masses such as the Stones though.
Either you love him or you hate him, there's no in between.
For Bruce fans, it's their little secret. For the rest of us, I say they can keep it a secret.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: April 26, 2006 05:43

bruce a little secret?

is that a joke or an idiotic statement? he sells out stadiums regularly! what the heck are you talking about?

i saw bruce on the vote for change tour finale here in dc... he put on a great great show....

i always thought it was commonly known that bruce is a great live performer.. not sure what all these naysayers are about..

you might not like his music but he is a great live performer..i don't think there is any debating that..saying he is not a great live performer is like saying dylan is not a great songwriter.. you might not like bob dylan's songs but thats your problem not his!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home