Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: springsteen
Posted by: R ()
Date: April 25, 2006 17:12

I saw the show this morning. It was more than a bit overwrought which is typical of Bruce w/ ANY band. It also had a forced and somewhat contrived feeling about it. The album is okay but I'm going to skip the tour (a virtual first) because I don't think I could handle two hours of fairweather Bruce fans clapping out of time and drunkedly calling for "Born To Run." I'll save my $100 (that's ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS) for the Who and HOPEFULLY A return of the Stones this fall.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 25, 2006 17:35

Jake wrote:

Dear Cindy, I don't know what you're talking about, but mr Springsteen made us (in Europe, you know what Europe is? winking smiley believe there is a better america than that big arrogant machine which is brought to us by the news. He showed us the soul and spirit, and made us understand your patriotism. You go ahead and puke, puke all over yourself, cause that is what you're already doing right now. Springsteen does not think he represents everyone in America, I know he is not representing you.

Hey Jake, I would suggest researching a poster before you decide to bash them. I am American, and proud. However, I have spent a lot of time in Europe and certainly do not appreciate your assumption that I have no idea what is going on outside my little corner.

As for Mr. Springsteen, I stand by my earlier assessment. When he first started, he was not a wealthy man, he just played great rock songs about normal things. Then Born in the USA comes out, and he is thrust into the role of the American Everyman. Suddenly all his songs have a deeper meaning as he acts as if he is the voice of the working class.

He becomes a rich man singing about the poor man. Why wasn't he doing that when he was a poor man? It feels hypocritical somehow. If he was poor and sang about being poor, I would have bought it.

Aside from all that you mention in another post to Elmo "Nebraska bores you when you don't listen to lyrics, I suppose there's no value for you in lyrics"

Well, I like good lyrics, but the music has to hold me too. And from what I've heard of the post Born stuff (beginning with Philadelphia) the music is a complete snooze IMO. Therefore, I am not going to waste my time listening to bad music just to hear good lyrics. If I'm looking for something meaningful, I'll read a book.

You keep speaking about being young, and you fancy yourself to be wise beyond your years. When you finally grow up, you will learn that it is not necessary to treat another as an idiot to make your point.

Posted by: Jake Blues ()
Date: April 25, 2006 17:36

Elmo Lewis, I am not, when you say NEBRASKA BORES ME TO TEARS I don't understand you, because there is no argumentation. As I am studying Music it irritates me when people, like Cindy, are just screaming and shouting nonsense. which explains my 'long' story. The fact you saw Bruce Springsteen live and rocking before I was born, and still talk in a way you just did, well, I don't know man. but I do respect your opinion if you don't like acoustic music and only want rock n roll.

Joliet Jake

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 25, 2006 17:40

"screaming and shouting nonsense?" come on Jake, we've got a long day ahead of us, let's try to get along.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 25, 2006 17:54

Thanks Cindy and Luke. When I can't sleep, I'll put on "Nebraska".

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 25, 2006 17:55

better yet - just go there.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 25, 2006 17:56

Yawn......

JR

Date: April 25, 2006 17:56

So true, ST, so true. winking smiley

Date: April 25, 2006 17:57

Jake Blues Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elmo Lewis, I am not, when you say NEBRASKA BORES
> ME TO TEARS I don't understand you, because there
> is no argumentation. As I am studying Music it
> irritates me when people, like Cindy, are just
> screaming and shouting nonsense. which explains my
> 'long' story. The fact you saw Bruce Springsteen
> live and rocking before I was born, and still talk
> in a way you just did, well, I don't know man. but
> I do respect your opinion if you don't like
> acoustic music and only want rock n roll.
>
> Joliet Jake

Jake, if you re-read my post, you will see that I wrote his persona is what makes me puke, not his music. However, I still agree with everything I said about his music sounds boring to me. I cannot name one song of his that came out after Born, because it left no mark on me. It was that bland.

I further went on to say, that it was MY uneducated opinion. And I meant that, as I have not listened to any of those albums. I do think I have decent taste in music, and if someone has to tell me why the music is so good, than how good can it really be?

Additionally, why do you have to take what I say so personally? You seem to feel I am just a moronic American, I can't imagine why my opinion means anything to you.

Date: April 25, 2006 17:59

Additionally, why do you have to take what I say so personally? You seem to feel I am just a moronic American, I can't imagine why my opinion means anything to you.

He must have seen your picture, CC. Hope that isn't why he's bugged by me!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 25, 2006 18:02

why we getting so angry over "Bwoose"...he doesnt even deserve a mention on a Stones page...way to white, imho....no soul...forced, no back beat...

JR

Date: April 25, 2006 18:03

I wish someone would relieve me of my self-imposed ban on posting my thoughts about Bruce. T&A - where are you??!!

Date: April 25, 2006 18:09

Is T&A like your Mr. Hyde? Or like the Hulk. He only comes out when StonesTod needs some extra muscle?

BTW, Thanks Elmo! You made my day.

Date: April 25, 2006 18:18

it's much more complicated and sinister than that, Cind. You don't know the half of it...in fact, none of us does...

Date: April 25, 2006 18:20

hmmmmmm, i'm completely intrigued. Tell me more.

Date: April 25, 2006 18:25

i can't - like I said - none of us knows - if anyone out there has more to add to this - please tell Cind and me....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 25, 2006 18:28

StonesTod Wrote:
> i can't - like I said - none of us knows - if
> anyone out there has more to add to this - please
> tell Cind and me....

he's lying. he knows.

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: April 25, 2006 18:31

If Bruce Springsteen is the Boss, I quit.

(I don't really feel that way - I enjoy the man's work, but I couldn't let the chance pass to drop that line)

Date: April 25, 2006 18:32

take this job and shove it, eh?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 25, 2006 18:35

I'm one of those, who don't think about anything negative about Springsteen, concerning "a spokeman for the common man" and politics, etc. I really love some Bruce Springsteen, especially mid 70s untill 84. Perhaps it's easier to like him, if you're not an american

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-25 21:31 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2006 19:31

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I'm one of those,

...Melodramatic fools. Neurotic to the bone no doubt about it. Sometimes I give myself the creeps, sometimes my mind plays tricks on me. It all keeps adding up. I think I'm cracking up. Am I just paranoid, or am I just stoned??? LOL

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 25, 2006 22:19

The new album is great.

Posted by: wemblywammer ()
Date: April 25, 2006 22:44

Anyone who wants to diss Springsteen has no taste in my book, the guy is a genius. I have just got the new album and must admit I was very sceptical but it is great! the most fun album I have heard for a long time,it has the same kind of vibe that Steve Earle gets playing with the Pogues,has a couple of songs that would not be out of place if Tom Waits were doing them, and some great New Orleans funeral procession style brass,I love it.

Would like to here that Stone R&B/soul covers album, now that would be good.

Date: April 25, 2006 22:47

i have no taste in wembleywammer's book

Date: April 25, 2006 23:08

yeah me either. I guess we don't taste so good.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: April 25, 2006 23:09

I stand corrected, obviously you are a big Stones fan so you do have taste, it is just limited maybe?

Date: April 25, 2006 23:10

wemblywammer Wrote:
> I stand corrected, obviously you are a big Stones
> fan so you do have taste, it is just limited
> maybe?

I think limited is a good description. Let's go with that!

Date: April 25, 2006 23:11

i can't accept that compromise. i stand by my "no taste" status.

Date: April 25, 2006 23:20

Maybe no appreciation or maybe respect is a better way of putting then. We are talking about a guy with a back catalogue of songwriting, probably only bettered by The Stones and Dylan.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 25, 2006 23:20

Erik said something IMo really deep: perhaps it is easier to like Bruce if you are not American.
That is the topic I have been discussing lately with everyone. That certain acts can be big on both sides, but will be big for different reasons. (This is a very short condensed version)

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home