Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT, Why all the hate for The Beatles??
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 14, 2006 02:40

I'm really stunned by the number of people who seem to really hate them, or Paul specifically. If your not a fan, fine, but the vitriol that comes from some people blows me away. The Beatles were the 1st bit of music that I ever became interested in (1975, mind you) and because of my love for them, I began to love the Stones, Who, Led Zep, and another 100-200 bands (listoning to the Brian Jonestown Massacre right now). While virtually all bands were initially influenced by Chuck, Elvis, Perkins, and the blues artists, the Beatles also started expanding what could be done in rock music whether it was using feedback, indian music, symphonic music, tape loops, etc. They were the 1st popular band that played and wrote their own music of which the vast majority of it still doesn't sound outdated. Yes, I realize Paul can be a bit pompous at times(as can Mick, for that matter), but, honestly, if I'd earned several hundred million $, it would be hard not to be pompous on occasion,haha! If you don't like their music or their personalities, FINE. But the hate seems very unwarrented. No I'm NOT!!!!! Ferrente by the way!! HAHAHA!

Re: OT, Why all the hate for The Beatles??
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 14, 2006 02:43

i don't hate the Beatles. i just don't like them (same with a million other bands)

i like rock n roll

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 14, 2006 02:49

DrPete, why not list some of the so called "hate" topics you found here, there must be many, or else you´re just making this up?. Not many lately, right? So why try to start a flame war? What´s the good of that?
I´m not interested in the fourheaded monster, but I think a post like yours is only made to try to provoke people here. This is a Stonesboard.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: April 14, 2006 02:58

Not trying to start anything Micki (honestly!!). It's just when the beatles and Paul are mentioned it just stuns me that a number of people realyy seem to despise them (or imply that they were NOT a rock n roll band!!). How obsured! Even the originators of punk and heavy metal (Iggy and Ozzy) love the Beatles and acknowledge their influence. Hardly a pop-boy band!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 14, 2006 03:02

I haven't seen much hate for the Beatles on this board.
(Apart from the 10% who seems to be angry all the way.)
You're pretty dumb if you hate the Beatles.
Besides, Ferrante even made me write some bad things about McCartney.

Date: April 14, 2006 03:10

You're right Erik! 10% truely are pissed at evrything (including the fact that SWAY might now be considered a warhorse, lol!!).

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 14, 2006 03:41

Pete, I love the Beatles second only to the Stones. Also, Zep, Who, Skynyrd, Allmans, CCR, Faces, Motown, Stax, reggae, blues, Sinatra, George Jones, Bach, and too many others to count. It's all music. There is good and bad of all genres.

Certainly, The RS are my favorite band, but I don't see why one can't enjoy all styles, etc..

BTW, I saw Macca 3 weeks before the Stones in Atlanta 2005 - loved both shows. Very different, but both good. Getting ready for Dylan.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: April 14, 2006 04:03

It tends to be 2 reasons primarily:

1) Many Stones fans seem to be put off or even a bit jealous about all the attention and praise lavished on the Beatles (deservedly so) while the Stones frequently do not get the praise they equally deserve. It sometimes seems like this board is populated by teenagers and we have been transported back 40 years in time when you could not admit to liking both bands amongst your peers for fear of not being considered cool.

2) It seems that many Stones fans are pretty narrow minded about the music they enjoy. The Stones themselves have explored and personally enjoy so many different musical genres, while many of their hard core fans seem to respond mainly to the harder sounding, riff heavy songs to the exclusion of anything they consider "wimpy". A band like AC/DC, while being a good, but a far from creative, band gets overly praised by many people on this board, while acts that really are as creative and diverse a band as the Stones, such as U2, get ripped on.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 14, 2006 04:04

Hello my cat and dog neutering friend, Dr. Pete. The Beatle were great. They rocked, they created silly pop songs, and they became a voice of revolution. The Beatles scratched all my itches.

I too remember some angry posts on this forum about Paul. I even joined an angry mob of postings around Super Bowl time in response to Paul's claim that the Stones have always followed the Beatles. I don't understand the bitterness, but I'm guessing there's been a good spirited rivalry that goes back for decades. Don't let it bother you. And for gods sake, don't ever second guess yourself as to whether or not the Beatles were great. You know they were.

Y'all have a nice night.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 14, 2006 04:10

we all live in a yellow submarine , yellow submarine..............any other questions????

Date: April 14, 2006 04:12

That's good, tat. Who's to blame - Paul for writing it or Ringo for singing(?) it?

Date: April 14, 2006 04:14

Great posts Halup, Erik and Lukester(aren't you a bit busy these days???)!!

Date: April 14, 2006 04:14

Sorry, I mean Elmo!! Not Erik, my bad!

Date: April 14, 2006 04:17

Right back at ya, Doc! I really don't see why should have to choose. It's soooooo 1965.

Date: April 14, 2006 04:21

Elmo..Ringo is my favorite.........no no no i dont sniff no more...da..da..da...da..da............da.........no thank you please it only makes me sneeze..........da da da da da ......

always liked that catchy number.....

Date: April 14, 2006 04:33

tat2you...do I detect some sarcasm here? I mean after all, "she said it was the finest in the land." I still like to sing Ringo's version of R. Sherman's, "You're Sixteen" in the shower.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: April 14, 2006 04:38

Love the Beatles and have tremendous respect for Paul, but I often resent the larger world automatically putting them ahead of the Stones in terms of quality music and innovation. I think the Stones were at least neck and neck during the 60's and their longevity/productivity places them at the top of all-time.

Date: April 14, 2006 04:46

and while we're talking about Ringo, let's not forget, "Don't Pass Me By," "Act Naturally," and, well, "Photograph."

Date: April 14, 2006 05:14

Ringo is the man...he got more pussy then those other 3 goofballs combined....not too mention i believe 5 number one hits.. more then those other nebishis combined.....

your sixteen your beauitful and your a line....i mean mine......da da da da

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 14, 2006 05:20

Although I recognize the craftmanship of the Beatles, I never was able to enjoy their music, too poppy, no rock, and even more important, no roll.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 14, 2006 06:23

The Beatles are great!
And they and the Stones were great friends. Competitive certainly. Remember they were in discussions to start their own label together.

For those folks who don't think The Beatles are rock, that is silly...ie The White Album, Helter Skelter, Happiness is a Warm Gun, and so many more...The Beatles are far more than silly pop...
One of the reasons they often are placed ahead of The Stones are there isn't one front man in the group. They all wrote, sang, and played well.

I love The Stones and The Beatles and they are both favorites. No need to hate or like either one over the other.

The great thing about The Stones is they are still with us rocking!

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 14, 2006 06:30

Naw, I was a little kid growing up on the Beatles and if you weren't there you just have no idea how TOTALLY ground breaking they were. Every single was better then the last and more abstract, fresh, different, totally new...They were amazing, the "Perfect Storm" in the art of sound. It will never happen again.....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 14, 2006 11:09

Funny thing about this jealousy thing: Jagger's always been jealous for the economical success of the Beatles, but Lennon was seamingly jealous for wild music and rebellous image of the Stones, and most of all, for Jagger being the biggest cock and sex symbol in town...

What goes for the original question, I think Halub nailed the answer. I match his categories. This Elvis-like hype of The Beatles is sickening me. Great they were but not the only one in the sixties (like it nowadays feels like). All this nostalgy thing is working for them, Macca gathers the money, while The Stones work their asses off and are ignored. As a Stones fan I don't see justice there. Of course, The Stones are doing their best to milk their past, destroy their legacy and to be remembered as old and ugly men and "the band who never understood to quit", but still...

And what goes for the idea that late-Lennon used to and Macca the stupid-looking idiot still promotes: that what The Beatyles did first, the Stones copied later... Let's have a look..

Maybe the most important thing John and Paul did for The Stones was the idea to start doing own original material. Okay. Thanks for that, but I don't think they were the first composers in the world; it wasn't their copywright... No one can take credit for that.

Then, how did the Stones actually follow The Beatles lead in musically? Yes, they did! But jeez, when they did, the results were horrible and let's say not the things that the Stones are famous for or to be remembered... Lennon's examples: after "Yesterday", the Stones did "As Tears Go By".. wow, what a milestone in the history of the band! Then "All You Need Is Love" -> "We Love You"... and of course: Sgt. Pepper -> Satanic Majesties... Well, if these are the cases The Stones followed the example of The Beatles, thanks godsake that they didn't do it more often!!!

Then again, one could ask where did the Stones get their ideas to come up with 'Beatles-tunes' as "Satisfaction", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Honky Tonk Women", "Gimme Shelter"... other way round: do you find thing things like that from the Beatles pop albums?

To make a long story short: if one likes easy-listening pop music and sing-along songs, one can always listen to The Beatles or ABBA, but if one is interested in blues oriented wild, nasty and sexy rock'n'roll, go ahead and buy Beggars Banquet, Exile or Ladys and Gents DVD... the question of musical preference.. I understand very well why John Lennon was so bitter... smiling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-14 11:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 14, 2006 12:58

Why?

They're too sweet.

They didn't release an album for about 40 years and still get so much attention.

Date: April 14, 2006 15:30

When's the last time Picasso painted a picture Reptile? Some things are just timeless. I'll say one thing about McCartney vs Jagger. Check out the set lists on Maccas latest DVD - Live in Red Square. Between Moscow and St Pete's you get all these never played live new ones - SHE'S LEAVING HOME / GETTING BETTER / HELTER SKELTER / I'VE GOT A FEELING / etc and at the NYC - MSG 9/11 benefit he opened with the never played live since 1965 I'M DOWN. The man does play around tons with his set list. Throws out a lot of War Horses. Don't get me wrong, I love the Stones but after the boldness of the 1999 No Security and Licks tours this Tour (basic set list) is disappointing.Playing it WAY TO SAFE..... Sorry dude, you know you're my favorite Reptile around here....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-14 15:50 by MicksBrain.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 14, 2006 15:43

I love the Beatles, and the Stones!

Date: April 14, 2006 16:08

That sums it all up, Shawn20, me too.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 14, 2006 17:25

Hate is a strong word................dislike enormously is better. Sacharin, putrid, silly, pop tripe are words that describe most of their music adequately. Watching Macca in concert is akin to water torture; and good for Yoko that she was near John to help him come to his senses and leave that band before he went over to the dark side completely.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 14, 2006 17:30

Yeah, I really dislike the Beatles too. At least, their later work. They were a fun band in their really early years. But then they went all poppy and whiny. And I really do HATE Paul McCartney. He just looks like a selfish peice of stinking fish, you know? And I really don't like the way he talks in interviews and all.. and his voice is WAY too girly.. he @#$%& up the Beatles, basically. John Lennon was kind of a bluesy guy, he was alright. Ringo Star a lousy drummer but nothing wrong with him either. And George Harisson added some likeable touches to some horrible songs, you know? I mean, Paul was, no, IS the thing that makes me "hate" The Beatles. They would have been a nice band without him, especially if they'd hire a rock 'n' roll bass player, you know? That's my theory on it.

There you go.

Date: April 14, 2006 17:34

See Rip This...you just weren't around for that once in a century journey (I'd be pissed at God for putting you on the planet at the wrong time) BUT, not all is lost....following the career and musical experimentation of Duran Duran wasn't a TOTAL waste.....hehehehe What the BEATLES achieved between 1963 and 1969 (6 short years) is just a total mind f*cker !!! They have MAYBE 5 throw away songs....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home