Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

About guitar players
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 8, 2006 04:09

I have a standear fender stratocaster and a marshal 15cdr.My main question what do I need to get the sound of the solo on sympathy for the devil.Don't tell me things like change your guitar or buy an equipment that costs 400 euro.I want to make a similar sound if it is possible.

Re: About guitar players
Date: April 8, 2006 04:14

Sorry for the second question but I watch Jimmy Hendrix performing at Woodstock.His guitar looks exactly the same and I wonder if the guitar he holds is at the same quality of mine,beacuse I have heard that Jimmy never had good equipment.If his guitar there is like mine or similar what kind of effect is the pedal he uses at the end of purple haze and makes that great sound?(sorry for my english)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 8, 2006 04:49

Sorry, but you will never be able to sound like Jimi, because you're not Jimi. Most of the sound comes from the player, not the equipment. Same with the solo on SFTD. However, that solo sounds like it has a lot of treble, so try increasing that on your guitar and/or amp.

Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: April 8, 2006 04:51

You might try a wah-wah pedal left in the highest treble position to get the edgy ultra-trebly lead sound on SFTD. Or just set all the controls to treble. It also sounds like a tube amp where the tubes are "breaking up" a bit according to the attack on the notes. Hope this helps.

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: April 8, 2006 05:05

get an mxr petal. it's gold color with one button.
turn up all of the knobs on the amp and the button. then slowly turn up the volume on your guitar until you're ears hurt. A fender bassman amp through a vox 6X10 cabinet would be nice as well. all as vintage as possible, of course.

Date: April 8, 2006 16:17

Yes I am not even the 1% of Jimmy but I mean he steps on the pedal and immediately the sound of his guitar changes.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 8, 2006 17:01

Jimi's set up:

And about Sympathy For The Devil: just slam up your distortion and treble.

Date: April 8, 2006 18:30

From your experience which is better.To have singe effects or multi effects?Are any of these effects on the pic with JImmy's setup(thank you very much for this) gonna be useful in stones songs or blues songs like bb king?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 8, 2006 19:19

Sure, any effect is useful in Stones or blues songs. But you need to understand that just getting the equipment won't get you the sound. You are as a player the biggest influence on the sound. Oh, and his name is Jimi.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 8, 2006 19:22

For BB King all you need is a good amp. He doesn't use any effects. And ofcourse, the fuzz face will give you access to allot of those typical 60's sounds like Eric Clapton in the Cream. But the uni-vibe and octave effects are not really used by other bluesmen.

So you'd be best off buying a multi-effect that does stuff like the uni-vibe, octave and reverb too, and buying an original Vox Wah and fuzz face, although you're very unlikely to get an original fuzz face these days, and if you do, it will be pretty expensive. But ofcourse, any other fuzz pedal will do too.

Date: April 8, 2006 20:39

He changed it to Jimi from JImmy right?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home