Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones
Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: April 8, 2006 00:55

I would love to see L&G released on DVD. Bring it on!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 8, 2006 06:12

Great responses!
Ok, for me LG is a classic. I saw it when I was in highschool. My english teacher showed it all day and I skipped two classes to watch it over and over. Yeah, it does focus a lot on Mick, and to a lesser extent Keith, but man the music. And when it does focus on Mick Taylor's hands during Love in Vain it is stunning to see his work up close...
It is a classic and I am sorry I have to disagree with the poster who said Let's Spend the Night Together is better! Sorry no comparison. That was the warm up pants safe jagger who was more barking out the lyrics than growling them...
I have had the pleasure of seeing Mich Taylor live several times in small club setting and yes, he was usually smashed out of his mind...and in one instance we were hanging outside of the bar during an intermission and he staggered out and asked if we had a joint! Shit man! We got stoned with a former stone, and he hit the stage and didn't miss a note and played with pure passion!
So for me LG is a classic and should be released and given the delux DVD treatment, and as for Alen Klien...no way he wasn't even involved with them at that point.

Release it!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 8, 2006 15:06

There are some excellent DVD copies of this film that are around on Ebay that are really great. The Widescreen from Bad Wizard is the best of the bunch IMHO. You will flat out dig this one. If you have a quality a/v setup this one will knock your socks off. I have floored friends with this one. Buy it, turn it WAY up and hold on. Yes this film should get official release treatment by the band as it is probably the best concert film ever made. Yes, the video shots close up on Jagger get a little redundant. I prefer more full stage footage, but this movie is awesome. Would have loved to get a full show from 1969-1970 filmed like this. Alas all we have is Gimme Shelter, but the live footage there is stunning. No matter how many times I watch that I always find myself wanting more. Like when they cut away from SFM to go to a DJ talking! The Criterion version with the extras though is terrific and all fans should own it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 8, 2006 16:15

Alas all we have is Gimme Shelter, but
> the live footage there is stunning. No matter how
> many times I watch that I always find myself
> wanting more. Like when they cut away from SFM to
> go to a DJ talking! The Criterion version with the
> extras though is terrific and all fans should own
> it.

The Criterion GS is stunning. L&G would be fantastic, but I am not sure when we'll ever see it remastered, so maybe the best thing to do is just buy the boots. The other thing I'm hoping exists is a pro-shot MSG from 72. I think it does.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 8, 2006 17:03

OpenG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > WATCH and learn about the VIBRATO.Watch his
> technique and his fluidty on his solo on dead
> flowers.watch how he uses his pinky to support
> those COUNTRY BENDS and Licks that Gram Parsons
> showed Keith and watch how taylor mastered those
> country licks.

When Jagger says, "Play that guitar, boy," Taylor really shines. He was a difference maker in the 72 tour....no doubt about it. Just because you love Taylor doesn't mean you hate Wood.

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: April 8, 2006 17:17

Could not agree more with you Shawn20. I've had Woody's Kilburn 74 show on this morning which is absolutely awesome! Followed my Mick Taylor's a Stone's Throw which is also brilliant! Why do we have to split into diffrent factions on this? I appreciate the two different but unique talents. Pity we could not have them both in the same band though!

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: April 8, 2006 17:37

The Video was officially released in Australia some 20 years ago, my copy is second generation unfortunately - why didn't I buy it when it was available....

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: April 8, 2006 18:28

I ordered a dvd of this concert on ebay and got it a few days ago. I have a high def t.v. 43 inch and excellent sound system hooked up. It is quite good all around but just not the magic it was in theatres when it came out, I was 14 or so at the time. All the years of film improvement, stage designs, etc, make this one kind of boring actually, but there are some real high points, Tumbling Dice is probably the best live version I've ever heard, Midnight Rambler is great, as is Happy. Love in Vain is also very good. The rest of the W.H.'s are just okay. Nice to have but you can't go back to the magic of the time.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 9, 2006 01:52

The Quad sound system this film initially carried to various cities was incredible. They had it cranked up and it was like being at the concert. I saw this maybe 5 times in that format simply because it was sooo good and it was better than just going out to the bars for the night. No one left disappointed if you were a fan. The original soundtrack was terrific. If they ever get this one togther as an official release the bar was set awfully high when it first came out. The technology these days though can get it done if the original prints are good. Once it left the Quad format though it just wasn't anywhere near as good in the theater in stereo. Still if the projectionist had his/her shit together and turned it way up it helped alot. LIke I said there are some excellent copies of this around and with a quality a/v system you will be in heaven with this film. I agree with forligan. TD is huge on L and G. Keith just kills this one and drives the band. They were in top form on that tour and it carried right over to Europe as the bootlegs confirm. It was fun being there.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 14, 2010 21:20

whitem8

It is a classic and I am sorry I have to disagree with the poster who said Let's Spend the Night Together is better! Sorry no comparison. That was the warm up pants safe jagger who was more barking out the lyrics than growling them...
I have had the pleasure of seeing Mich Taylor live several times in small club setting and yes, he was usually smashed out of his mind...and in one instance we were hanging outside of the bar during an intermission and he staggered out and asked if we had a joint! Shit man! We got stoned with a former stone, and he hit the stage and didn't miss a note and played with pure passion!
So for me LG is a classic and should be released and given the delux DVD treatment, and as for Alen Klien...no way he wasn't even involved with them at that point.

Release it!

Just saw this movie today. Wow. Best Rock film I have ever seen . . better than Gimme Shelter, because the Stones were much better musicians by 1972 and they also added some interesting songs.

Bill Wyman seems bored out of his mind on stage . .is that just an act, or is he thinking about all the groupies he is going to sleep with after the concert?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-14 21:21 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 14, 2010 21:31

I actually saw the Rolling Stones live in concert in 1972. It was the best live concert I've been to. Believe it or not, they didn't play in the 49ers football Stadium like Led Zeppelin did the next year.

The Stones played multiple performances at small Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, which only seats 5800 people! a far cry from modern concerts. of course the Stones could have easily filled an arena 3 times as large, and they did in other cities . but they gave special treatment to the fans in S.F.

It was a very close and intimate setting. And the acoustics were incredible. Ladies and Gentlemen th Rolling Stones brought back a lot of good memories. The version I saw was bootlegged off of an old Australian VHS release . . so the sound is good but not great. I can barely hear my favorite Nicky Hopkins on the soundtrack. Probably will be a good investment to buy the Blue-Ray version when it comes out in November. I, like everyone else, am trying to figure out why they waited almost 40 years to release this? I guess it has been playing at the IMAX Theaters the last few years?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-14 21:42 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: fuman ()
Date: July 14, 2010 21:37

Manhattan
Nowadays Taylor's stomach is FULL of CHUNKY food.

Does this mean that you no longer find yourself attracted to Mr Taylor?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 14, 2010 21:43

The 4 Reels version if from an original Theatrical print bought at auction...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 14, 2010 22:02

mitchflorida
I guess it has been playing at the IMAX Theaters the last few years?
IMAX?

Date: July 14, 2010 22:14

Oops, that was ROLLING STONES AT THE MAX, the first feature-length IMAX concert film, features the Rolling Stones in top form during their highly acclaimed Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle 1990 Tour,

It doesn't have Mick Taylor playing so I am not as interested in that one. .

Has anyone seen it?

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: July 14, 2010 22:14

Cinerama?

Date: July 14, 2010 22:18

dancingmisterd
Cinerama?

Cinerama!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2010 22:32

Have only seen clips of this through the years. This is a must have purchase for me.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 14, 2010 22:35

Yep,
can't wait for this to come to the theaters with a "SUPER" sound system!!

PS - Wonder if Taylor get's any $$ from this release??

MLC

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2010 00:16

mitchflorida
dancingmisterd
Cinerama?

Cinerama!

Smellorama?!

Date: July 15, 2010 00:24

Man, Keith Richards really earned his money in those days. He really is the band leader for the entire group. He moves his body in an amazing way when he laying down the rhythm guitar for the song. No Keith, no Rolling Stones.

I think that Mick Taylor had to be crazy to leave the top rock group in the World. .what got into him? There is someone on this thread who said it got to the point that MT would play blues at some dive nightclub and smoke pot with the paying customers. From the Madison Square Garden to Joe's Blues Joint. But no, he has no regrets . . sure. Did MT really think he was going to be the next Eric Clapton?

For me the two biggest tragedies of the 1970's . . the break up of the Beatles and Mick Taylor leaving the Stones, so he could take time off to become a druggie.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-15 00:30 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:16

or take time off the save himself FROM being a druggie. according to taylor and others...who knows? i think it got real nasty there around him; and he was in trouble for whatever reasons with it...he was already the biggest star...he went on to fascinating projects with the best players writers and producers that exist... hard to believe that not everybody wants that kind of objectified superstar lifestyle...especially in the post sixties thing....
i don't know for sure but it's probably best not to just assume he was trying to top the stones with jack bruce in a new band. i believe him he says, for whatever reasons and whatever his thinking at the time, it was a basic survival move for his life; and then probably he was feeling constricted as a contributor, but this is me guessing....he had been there since tracks on bleed...into ya yas sf and exiles and soup and beyond...he came into them very very young straight from bluesbreakers...it's hard to imagine anybody wanting to leave the stones but things were changing...i do not blame the degradation of the general quality of stones output to the lack of taylor tho; i think mick and keith dropped the ball in various ways and just started to hate each other and eat everybody up all around them. none of us can imagine what that must've been like in those times. we do know that bill, pretty mellow cat; was kinda livid a lot of times and wanted out out out...so....he seems happy; i don't wanna second guess any of them; i'm just glad they're still around and playing...charlie and bill and mick taylor or OUT TOURING MAN.... all the time almost these last years. the main two have an agenda that supersedes the music of their past association probably...maybe taylor saw the foundations shaky in a personal heart to heart way as far as a future with albums he could be challenged by etc...i just don't know, i do know that the seventy two is legendary for a lot of things. and hugely, mick taylor barnstorming and burning down every single house in which they dared hook him up to an amplifer...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:22

mitchflorida
Man, Keith Richards really earned his money in those days. He really is the band leader for the entire group. He moves his body in an amazing way when he laying down the rhythm guitar for the song. No Keith, no Rolling Stones.

I think that Mick Taylor had to be crazy to leave the top rock group in the World. .what got into him? There is someone on this thread who said it got to the point that MT would play blues at some dive nightclub and smoke pot with the paying customers. From the Madison Square Garden to Joe's Blues Joint. But no, he has no regrets . . sure. Did MT really think he was going to be the next Eric Clapton?

For me the two biggest tragedies of the 1970's . . the break up of the Beatles and Mick Taylor leaving the Stones, so he could take time off to become a druggie.

mitch...7 edits in 6 minutes...alltime record.

Date: July 15, 2010 01:24

Mitch -Please knock off the comments about Taylor and the druggie stuff.

Believe me when I say this - HE doesn't appreciate it.

if you want to question why he left the Stones poise those questions.

thanks

MLC

Date: July 15, 2010 01:37

Mick Taylor was peeved at Keith and Mick for treating him like a second-class citizen in the Stones. But MT was a second-class citizen in the group because first he was a newcomer, and second Keith and Mick are the leaders . . Taylor tried to edge in and I think stepped on some toes.

Did MT get ripped off of some songwriting credits? Probably, but so what? You swallow your ego, you move on, and you dedicate yourself to making more great music . . not settling some imagined "slight" that may or may not have existed in the first place.

And it has been said time and time again, Mick Taylor's drug problems never caused him to leave the group. That is out of his own mouth. And his drug problems got worse when he started hanging around Jack Bruce and the other crack-heads he befriended. He didn't hit rock bottom in 1974, but probably 1980 when his album flopped and his drug intake increased.

Date: July 15, 2010 01:41

Wow Mitch you really don't "get it"

do a little more homework before popping off, you really don't have a clue..

MLC

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 15, 2010 03:10

wyman, as always...playing brilliantly with Charlie...
wyman always underrated i dunno why... maybe cause he split...
his crescendos and pulsing, staggering, stuttered stylings...
but melodic ascending and descending lines KICKING of the band right along with chollie...every fill...very subtle but the foundation is so solid and kicking.
holy moly; can i get an amen anybody...

Amen! Absolutey. Wyman may be under rated but he is a fantastic and inventive bassist, some of his licks are mind blowing.

Taylor, what can you say; he took the whole band to a whole other level theyd never been to before or since.

Ladies & Gentlemen's performance is great - sonically though, the bootleg sound quality is only so-so unfortunately, but highlights for me are MT's soloing on GS, LIV, YCAGWYW; and his riffing on Johnny B Goode; Keiths Bitch solo is great, same for Johnny B Good, and open G riffing everywhere is superlative

Charlie and Bill hold it down like no other tandem

Visually - I find the thing too Mick focused but hey, on DVD maybe there will be lots of additional new footage and vastly improved sound

I hope

still, there's no better definitive Stones full running concert video than this

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-15 03:25 by stones77.

Date: July 15, 2010 03:28

MCDDTLC
Wow Mitch you really don't "get it"

do a little more homework before popping off, you really don't have a clue..

MLC

Sorry if I offended you. I have never taken a liking to Ronnie Wood in the Stones.

And I just found out that Ron Wood didn't even play on the great song Hand of Fate!

That is so funny. It was some other guy playing that great riff.

Date: July 15, 2010 03:31

stones77
wyman, as always...playing brilliantly with Charlie...
wyman always underrated i dunno why... maybe cause he split...
his crescendos and pulsing, staggering, stuttered stylings...
but melodic ascending and descending lines KICKING of the band right along with chollie...every fill...very subtle but the foundation is so solid and kicking.
holy moly; can i get an amen anybody...

Amen! Absolutey. Wyman may be under rated but he is a fantastic and inventive bassist, some of his licks are mind blowing.

Taylor, what can you say; he took the whole band to a whole other level theyd never been to before or since.

Ladies & Gentlemen's performance is great - sonically though, the bootleg sound quality is only so-so unfortunately, but highlights for me are MT's soloing on GS, LIV, YCAGWYW; and his riffing on Johnny B Goode; Keiths Bitch solo is great, same for Johnny B Good, and open G riffing everywhere is superlative

Charlie and Bill hold it down like no other tandem

Visually - I find the thing too Mick focused but hey, on DVD maybe there will be lots of additional new footage and vastly improved sound

I hope

still, there's no better definitive Stones full running concert video than this

I was surprised how little Bill Wyman changed his expression the entire concert. He just was chewing gum and looking straight ahead. lol

I consider him a good , solid bass player. Nothing great about his playing, but it is solid. I like a flashier player, like Jack Bruce or Noel Redding style.

P.S. It is Bye, bye Johnny .. not the other song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-15 03:33 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 15, 2010 04:01

mitchflorida
whitem8

Release it!

Just saw this movie today. Wow. Best Rock film I have ever seen . . better than Gimme Shelter, because the Stones were much better musicians by 1972 and they also added some interesting songs.

Bill Wyman seems bored out of his mind on stage . .is that just an act, or is he thinking about all the groupies he is going to sleep with after the concert?

Great story about turning on Taylor, whitem8. I would have asked him every annoying guitar question I have been saving up all my life!

As to Wyman, I used to think he was bored, now I know that he was always casing the first rows for girls!

I was there too for the original quad theatrical release of L&G, and can confirm it was indeed magic. It lost a lot when I saw it later without the quad.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home