Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones' 'Sweet Virginia' would be a sweet state song
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 16, 2010 00:54

How cool would this be?

[www.roanoke.com]

Re: Stones' 'Sweet Virginia' would be a sweet state song
Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: July 16, 2010 01:14

It would be cool indeed. However, despite the author of that article trying to argue it, I can't see the uptight political folks green lighting this song with the lyrics about scraping shit off shoes and hiding speed in them.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 16, 2010 02:30

lettingitbleed
It would be cool indeed. However, despite the author of that article trying to argue it, I can't see the uptight political folks green lighting this song with the lyrics about scraping shit off shoes and hiding speed in them.

Good point!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 16, 2010 03:14

Maybe the Jerry Lee KILLER Lewis version ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 16, 2010 03:17

Would the Stones demand royalties every time this song is played at a state function?

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:22

Yeah and the Catholic church should probably make "Faraway Eyes" an official hymn. After all, Jesus gets a mention in it!
winking smiley

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:19

Sticky Fingers would make a sweet oil spill song. (if it was a song lol!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-16 07:20 by Markdog.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:27

come on boys and girls at every high school football game across the state!!!!::

"...you got GOT ITT IN YAAAAAA !! WHOOO....

now just the boys! well alright...cheerleaders have a special move for that one. i vote YES. come on virginia show some balls

Date: July 16, 2010 07:36

Beely, it's Jonathan from Seattle! Two years we haven't talked on the phone! I miss you, babesy!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:47

Even if Virginia's upstaters (Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William counties and the city of Alexandria, i.e., the people whose taxes account for 80% of the state's revenues) supported it overwhelmingly, the Richmond crowd would never go for making Sweet Virginia the state song.

There's that four-letter word in the chorus that might not go over so well downstate. People downstate were probably just fine with the way the FCC handled four-letter words until yesterday.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:53

The Menace of Mayfair
Beely, it's Jonathan from Seattle! Two years we haven't talked on the phone! I miss you, babesy!

yeah long time. be fun to catch up. have to catch as catch can crazy sched lately tho...send me an email w phone number; can't find anything; i lose my cell phone IN my car twice a week... i give u a call and send my # etc...rock on; too bad we never met to rock it up up thereah; but i'll be bock for visits...enjoy the summer; man if it wasn't for the rain i would have never left the pacific NW. portlands a gas too. great peeps...wonderful rootsy musics everywhere...ha chaaa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2010 15:44

gotta scrap that shite off my shoes .thank you california for your sweet and bitter fruit .

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: July 16, 2010 19:52

baxlap
Even if Virginia's upstaters (Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William counties and the city of Alexandria, i.e., the people whose taxes account for 80% of the state's revenues) supported it overwhelmingly, the Richmond crowd would never go for making Sweet Virginia the state song.

There's that four-letter word in the chorus that might not go over so well downstate. People downstate were probably just fine with the way the FCC handled four-letter words until yesterday.

Sounds like someone is familiar with how things are run in Virginia.

Based on my years living there, I would say the chance of Sweet Virginia becoming the official VA state song is zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-16 20:46 by dancingmisterd.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 16, 2010 20:01

The Greek
gotta scrap that shite off my shoes .thank you california for your sweet and bitter fruit .
Yeah that'll go over well in Virginia.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2010 20:47

sweetcharmedlife
The Greek
it's all off the top of my head, bright and early this morning when i got in the office.not bad huh?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 17, 2010 02:11

Seems like a pretty dark piece of music, with all the drug references and post 60s ennui.

Date: July 17, 2010 06:16

The Greek
sweetcharmedlife
The Greek
it's all off the top of my head, bright and early this morning when i got in the office.not bad huh?
Yeah the "I got the desert in my toenails" line would fit in good for Virginia....This sounds like a song written in LA if I've ever heard one.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 17, 2010 07:10

....the Attorney General in Virginia is so uptight he spent a ridiculous amount of money to have the state seal re made because it depicted a greek godess in a toga type dress exposing a tit.....no joke!!

[therichmonder.blogspot.com]

Date: July 17, 2010 20:30

Rip This
....the Attorney General in Virginia is so uptight he spent a ridiculous amount of money to have the state seal re made because it depicted a greek godess in a toga type dress exposing a tit.....no joke!!

[therichmonder.blogspot.com]
That's almost as bad as California where they want to change the offcial state rock. Serpentine,because it has asbestos in it. Which has led to many scientists coming to the rock's defense.....you can't make this shit up.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 17, 2010 21:07

...perhaps...but the greatest joke/travesty is that the Virginia DA got his degree from Bob Jones University....hard to imagine anyone even recognizes that as an accredited anything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home