Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Where was Stu?
Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: April 4, 2006 04:23

Just a couple of quick questions.....Where was Stu during the '75-'76 tours? Was he there all along behind the scenes? Was he even on the road with the Stones? Did he and Billy get along?

"I'm the bleeding volcano"

Re: Where was Stu?
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: April 4, 2006 04:41

i think he was behind the scenes.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 4, 2006 07:19

There are a some pictures of him playing on those tours,
but his playing was certainly few and far between.
Remember, he only really played when he felt like it, so...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 4, 2006 07:35

That's right. You hardly see him around in pics form then. Maybe he didn't like the heavy drug years. Ron Wood and Mac tell of that tour and lines of Boy and Girl laid out for them to snort up on the back of stage.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 4, 2006 07:41

He played some on the '75 tour, like he did with Hopkins in '72,

Lisa Robinson did an interview with him in Creem that year. Pretty big article with lots of pics too.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 4, 2006 08:13

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's right. You hardly see him around in pics
> form then. Maybe he didn't like the heavy drug
> years. Ron Wood and Mac tell of that tour and
> lines of Boy and Girl laid out for them to snort
> up on the back of stage.
>
> I took the dream poison before someone else taught
> me right.

Ive brought this up before In the book according to the rolling stones, theres a picture with bill, billy preston and elton john from the 75 tour and In the lower part of the picture it looks like theres drug paraphanialia (a rolled up dollar bill thats become somewhat unravelled and a mirror or overturned ash tray). theyre at the back of the stage, but its actually during the show. you can see mick from behind and then the crowd in the background.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-04 08:15 by ryanpow.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 4, 2006 09:39

I definitely know that he played on stage with them at Stuttgart, Neckarstadion, 19 June 1976. I remember him sitting behind a big white piano. To us youngsters it seemed sensational when Mick Jagger played the opening chords of Fool to cry on the piano. But after that Stu took over again. Of course Billy Preston also played keyboards, and Ollie Brown was on percussion. So they had three guest musicians.
I must check back the recording to see if Stu was introduced by Jagger.

Date: April 4, 2006 13:58

Now that I think of it, I have heard many many introductions from Jagger of the band on different tours, boots etc. But I can hardly think of an instance where Stu alone is introduced.

Date: April 4, 2006 15:34

Ryanpow, where in that book do you see that shot?>

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: April 4, 2006 16:09

its there chelsea just look for it in period around 1975.. there's a pix with elton john and billy preston... if you look up at elton john in index its probably there..

yup under elton john in index there is only one entry 194

look at page 194

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: April 4, 2006 16:43

In Cleveland, 1975, prior to the show, I saw Stu walking around the stage helping set up the band.

Date: April 4, 2006 16:58

Thanks a lot Stoned. I was scanning for Stu; and somwhow missed that huge Afro and big Cowboyhat LOL, dwarfing little Billy. But that's right: sure looks like a rolled up $ Bill there. Never would have spotted it. When I was looking for the shot earlier I did see a shot of Stu with Keith on the plane from 75. Of course we knew he would have been on the tour, but I had actually not seen many shots of Stu on that tour. Eg -in the big green book from the 75 tour I can't even think of a picture of Stu.

Date: April 4, 2006 23:09

I like how Stu never changed his style. He always wore golf clothes, no matter what the latest fashion was. He was hard core. He could play whenever he wanted to but if he didnt feel like it he didnt have to. The piano chair was always there for him.

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: April 4, 2006 23:18

Wow, that's got to be the greatest gig of all-time, "play with the Stones whenever you feel like it". I want that job!!!

oh well, that's why I have DAY jobs I guess. . . .

You got to roll me. . .

Date: April 4, 2006 23:27

yeah, that tells you how much he meant to them. he aslo was like their head roadie. he did a lot of behind the scenes stuff. and Im pretty sure during the 78 and 81-82 tours he played every show. or close to that.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 4, 2006 23:38

I first read about Stu in depth on the '75 tour. Lisa Robinson, who did press for the RS that year, conducted an interview with Stu, published in Creem (Jan. '76 issue?) during July & August.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: April 5, 2006 05:03

tats Stu btween Keef & Wyman b hind amps

thats not Jaggers shadow , its Stu

Stu's gets in pic again ,lil head far left

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 5, 2006 05:25

Maybe we should call him Waldo instead?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home