Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: A Bigger Bang just too long
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 30, 2006 20:28

nankerphlege Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Watts Farting into a microphone
> is better than 99% of the music being released
> these days.
>
>
> Go Dawgs!

I have a bootleg of that if you are interested in a copy!

Are you from Georgia, Nanker? Im in Marietta!

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-30 20:28 by Ross.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 30, 2006 21:00

did someone say 'charlie watts farting into a can'?! can somebody post that on Hot Stuff?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 31, 2006 00:04

I like how mick answered this question in an interview. Ususally he talks shit about Exile. but when the record company was complaining that ABB was too long he goes "Which album of ours is always considered to be the best among fans" and the record exec said "exile" "So, there You Go".

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:12

Yeah Exile is even longer that's strange.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:22

i'ld rather get all the tracks and resequence them. i know it's not the 'original cd/intent', but i really feel we're all moving towards a more song-based listening experience precisely because there are so many thousands of filled-to-the-gills cds that only have 3 good songs. add UTR and WDWGH to the mix and slightly fill out the orchestration/production of ABB and we could have had one of their best albums ever.

it's still the best collection of tunes since TY, no?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:32

So my question is " Would you rather have and hear these songs now on ABB or have them released later when the Stones release songs from their vaults (hopefully!!) ??" If these songs were rarities instead of on a regular release, would we love them more? I'd just as soon the Stones fill up every cd to the max. Can't say there are many if any songs that I'm pissed off that they released even if some I don't like so much.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:35

DrPete:

If you're talking about some random collection of songs - I agree with you throw it all in there. If your objective is to put together a solid, cohesive ALBUM, I completely disagree with you.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:41

It could definitely use a few less songs. I removed SOL (can't bear to type out the full name), Infamy, Biggest Mistake, Driving Too Fast and Let Me Down Slow and added the bonus tracks, Under The Radar and Don't Wanna Go Home. Plus I rearranged the order of the tracks. I think if they had done something along those lines (less songs, different running order) the album would have been much better. I still like it qutie a bit as is, though (except for Streets Of Hell).

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:43

Release 2 versions then, the actual album for 12-13$ then a complete sessions cd(or 2) for 18-20$ and let us decide which version we want to buy! Problem solved.

Date: March 31, 2006 01:43

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
I
> removed SOL (can't bear to type out the full
> name),

LOL on the SOL knock.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 31, 2006 02:11

DrPete Wrote:
> Release 2 versions then, the actual album for
> 12-13$ then a complete sessions cd(or 2) for
> 18-20$ and let us decide which version we want to
> buy! Problem solved.

Good solution...but I bet then we would have posts about the songs that were only on the "complete sessions" version that should have been on the "actual album" version instead of the ones that "sucked" on the "actual album" version!

Ross

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: March 31, 2006 02:18

There are many artists who put out 45 minute CDs. One problem for the Stones is that they go many years between albums so they have a bit of a backlog of material to record notwithstanding Mick's solo crap.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 31, 2006 04:34

I think that SOL, Biggest Mistake, Neocon and one of Keith's two tracks would have been expendable. Let me think about it for a couple of days while I get ready for Saitama, and I'll come up with a classic ABB.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: March 31, 2006 04:46

It's a different (recording) world nowdays. Most artists are compelled to fill up the available space on the CD. Some don't.

The Stones, and their producer/s, engineers etc, must have thought the 16 tracks that made up Bigger Bang WERE the album. They have the successful musical career. I don't see how WE can second-guess them. Are WE as successful as they in THEIR given-careers? They couldn't do my job, I couldn't do theirs...

Me? Gimmie as many tracks from them as they can record and put out. I agree with most everyone, my PERSONAL Bigger Bang leaves off some of the songs that ARE on the CD, and puts on both Under the Radar and We Dont Wanna Go Home. And it's shorter than the album as released.

But, gee, I LIKE it I have the choice/chance to leave off, for example, Look What the Cat Dragged in....now. In 2 or 3 or 4 years I might WANT to keep, and listen to, Look What the Cat Dragged In or She Saw me Coming...If I hadn't had had the opportunuty to have it now, that future opp to re-evaluate wouldn't be there.

I am glad it is. Long Live the Stones.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Date: March 31, 2006 06:00

The thing is that nobody can agree on which tracks are filler.For me,the filler is Look What The Cat Dragged In & The Streets Of Love but,other people like those songs so,what do they do?Invite us all into the studio and have a vote?Also,since they are leaving tracks the quality of Honest Man,Jump On Top Of Me,Crushed Pearl,We Don't Want To Go Home,and Under The Radar off of these albums,I don't think that they are intending to fill up space on these discs with inferior tracks - they just think tracks like New Faces are better.

Date: March 31, 2006 06:10

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
-> name), Infamy, Biggest Mistake, Driving Too Fast
> and Let Me Down Slow and added the bonus tracks,
>
but these are good songs! you shouldn't get rid of them enteriley, maybe you'll appreciate them at a later date. It happens to me sometimes.

Date: March 31, 2006 07:28

u da man, thief. of all of the (mostly medicore) songs on ABB, its only SOL and LWTCDI that i would just be embaressed to play in front of friends.

Date: March 31, 2006 07:38

yes, i listened to SOL with a friend of mine in the car. AwKWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-31 07:39 by ryanpow.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 31, 2006 17:06

drbryant Wrote:
> I listened to this tonight, and realized that it's
> just too long. Thinking of BB, LIB, Sticky
> Fingers, Tatoo You, Some Girls -- those albums are
> 1/2 - 2/3 the length of ABB, but they are tight.
> If you keep the classic numbers (RJ, ONNYA, IWTL)
> and add Under the Radar, I'm not sure it matters
> which 4-5 you drop. It would have been a much
> stronger effort. Would LIB have been improved if
> they included Don't Know Why I Love You and Jivin
> Sister Fanny? Probably not.

The only thing that's too long is my cock. The more Stones the better. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: March 31, 2006 18:43

Totally agree, this album is too long, and there are a few songs that shouldn't even be on it. Neo-con........just ridiculous (from the guys that gave us Sympathy, JJF, etc.) Driving too fast, She saw me coming,Biggest Mistake of my life, jeez, come on people , face it, I am probably the biggest Stones fan in the world, but every time I play this cd, I listen to RJ, ONNYA, and Keiths catchy tune (it's no Happy though)Infamy. Be true to yourself and admit it, this album is a major let down after waiting so many years for something new. The extras from 4 flicks outshine this cd.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 31, 2006 18:50

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> The only thing that's too long is my cock.

lol

Posted by: lisalover ()
Date: March 31, 2006 18:56

If you have to boast about it,its not worth a w**k

Myself...i have a 12 inch.........stones album

Date: March 31, 2006 21:20

Still, ABB doesn't feel that long when I sit and listen to the whole thing. Bridges and Voodoo feel much longer even thugh they are actually shorter because they have weaker material.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: March 31, 2006 23:03

VL feels very long. But on the other hand, I always feel ripped off with an album that has only, like, 7 songs on it. Also, albums that last only 30 mins. With everyone complaining about the prices of CDs, it just feels like you are not getting enough for your money if an album is so short. I always found it a stretch to call Black and Blue an "album". They should have gotten rid of a couple of the crappy songs on it and had the decency to call it an EP. grinning smiley

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 31, 2006 23:24

It's not too long, it's just that there are tracks on there which would have needed some more work on the melodies of certain instruments, but got more noise instead.
First thing that comes to mind is Look What the Cat Dragged In.

And in contrary to the general opinion of this thread, Driving Too Fast would be even better if it had 3 verses.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: March 31, 2006 23:36

I am still in shock that so many people don't like Look What the Cat Dragged In. To me its one of the best songs if not the best song they have done since the 70s. How can you like the sound of the Stones and not like it, I guess its all preference.

I don't think its too long, we waited years for this album. Imagine how much people would be complaining if the cd only had 9 songs on it. Things have changed with cds, there is no side a and side b. The music world has changed and so have the Stones.

Date: March 31, 2006 23:39

Look What The Cat Dragged In is one of my favorites--great guitar work, great percussion, great lyrics, great everything.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 31, 2006 23:41

Don't think its too long, we live in the era of cds and ipods. Things have changed, the Stones would get slammed if they put out a cd of only 40 minutes of music.

Also I agree about Look What the Cat Dragged, by far my favorite song on the album along with Let Me Down Slow. Too bad they won't play either live.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: March 31, 2006 23:50

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> I am still in shock that so many people don't like
> Look What the Cat Dragged In. To me its one of the
> best songs if not the best song they have done
> since the 70s. How can you like the sound of the
> Stones and not like it, I guess its all
> preference.

I feel about LMDS the way you feel about Look what the cat...
I see people making their "ideal" ABBs and leaving LMDS out, and it's like what- what- WHAT!

But oh well...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 1, 2006 01:51

I for one am grateful for ABB............it may be their last recording.........wasn't the "fast forward" button created for a reason.......I suggest more people use it..........

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home