Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Buck Owens RIP
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: March 25, 2006 19:02

Another good one gone...

Re: Buck Owens RIP
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 25, 2006 19:38

an important part of the "Bakersfield Sound".....goodbye to the great Buck Owens........a true country great.....r.i.p.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 25, 2006 19:41

never got to see him. glad I saw his comrade, Merle, last year. Get and see these cats 'fore it's too late....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2006 20:08

Sad news indeed.

Buck was a influence on Gram.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 25, 2006 20:33

And he was great in Hee Haw. Sorry, somebody had to say it.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 25, 2006 20:36

What a loss. I took some road trips to Bakersfield and saw him play a number of times at his Crystal Palace club, where he would perform every weekend. (The shows would be broadcast on the local radio station, which he owned.) That club is a great place, filled with walll-to-wall memorabilia.

He was king of the hill in that town.

I recommend his three disc box set on Rhino. For a rock fan who is unfamiliar with the material it's a box of buried treasure.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 25, 2006 20:38

Whether you like his music or not, a good man. The streets of Bakersfield have lost their icon! RIP, Buck.

Date: March 25, 2006 21:22

atip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whether you like his music or not, a good man.
> The streets of Bakersfield have lost their icon!
> RIP, Buck.

What's not to like about Buck Owens music??

I think most people haven't heard his best music, songs such as "Above and Beyond", "Kickin' Our Hearts Around" "Nobody's Fool But Yours" etc.

He recorded a pair of great Christmas albums too, mostly new material, worth seeking out.

His main man, Buckaroos guitarist and harmony vocalist Don Rich died in '74. It was like Mick losing Keith. But he carried on.

For a musician to be so successful, to own his old masters, and to be able to call the shots, he was living the dream.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 25, 2006 21:26

Oh, I didn't know this. While I'm not much of a country fan, I make exceptions for a few artists. Buck was cool, and I also like Dwight Yoakam, who was an admirer of Buck.

I'm from West Virginia, so a touch of C&W is embedded in my genes. Not many left of the old guard, who were distinctive and instantly identifiable. Hank Williams Sr, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, and now Buck are all gone.

The Stones explored "old-style" C&W many times, so the connection is undeniable.

I'm gonna play "Far Away Eyes" right now -- "As I was driving home, through Bakersfield..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-25 21:32 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 26, 2006 00:49

"Pickin' & Grinin'"

A musical great.

RIP Buck

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 26, 2006 01:01

No question. He made that show. And all he had to do was "Act Naturally"

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: March 26, 2006 03:43

Yeah, Buck was the Bakersfield talk of the town.... I used to spend my summers in Bakfersfield in the 70s as a kid.....A lot of my relatives live in that contaminated dustbowl and Buck's presence in the city is important. Oh well at least we still got the town drunk in Merl Haggard. He is still wreaking havoc .... Buck, RIP

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 26, 2006 04:45

When I was a kid, we (my sisiter and I) loved "Tiger By The Tail" on Hee Haw. My mom worked at a country radio station in 60's south Georgia. If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass! Almost ODed on Merle, George, Tammy, Loretta, Charlie Pride and the rest.

Buck always played that red, white, and blue guitar back then. Glad to see that Dwight always acknowledged Buck as his major influence. "Little Ways" even sounds like TBTT when it starts off.

On a related note, my piano-playing jamming buddy (soon to be star Alex Clements)won an American Idol type contest last night and opens for the great George Jones next Thursday in Albany, GA (home of the Rays - Charles and Stevens) . My first concert since the Stones. Is this the best of country following the best of RnR, or what?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 26, 2006 04:52

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was a kid, we (my sisiter and I) loved
> "Tiger By The Tail" on Hee Haw. My mom worked at a
> country radio station in 60's south Georgia. If
> that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass! Almost
> ODed on Merle, George, Tammy, Loretta, Charlie
> Pride and the rest.
>
> Buck always played that red, white, and blue
> guitar back then. Glad to see that Dwight always
> acknowledged Buck as his major influence. "Little
> Ways" even sounds like TBTT when it starts off.
>
>
> On a related note, my piano-playing jamming buddy
> (soon to be star Alex Clements)won an American
> Idol type contest last night and opens for the
> great George Jones next Thursday in Albany, GA
> (home of the Rays - Charles and Stevens) . My
> first concert since the Stones. Is this the best
> of country following the best of RnR, or what?

Pretty cool, Elmo. You should see if you can get backstage and get an autograph from George Jones. Just be careful he doesn't hit you with a whiskey bottle or something. Or maybe he has shelved his two-fisted drinkin' ways by this point?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 26, 2006 04:55

Yeah, I'm going. Don't know yet about backstage stuff. Last report George was sober and showing up at gigs. Maybe I can get a job as his lawnmower, I meant, limo driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-26 16:32 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 26, 2006 06:03

Buck Owens is gone. Guess my Dad will finally get to meet his favorite C&W star. RIP.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 26, 2006 08:32

Pickin and a Grinnin..........

Date: March 26, 2006 08:53

kienan, of all the great posts I've read on this board, that was my favorite.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 26, 2006 11:04

Buck was a cool dude. He could play guitar quite right. Watch how many people come to pay their respects to Mr. Ownens.
He may have moved along but he sure left us a lot of music that will never die. Thank you Buck.

Milo, NYC
With a smile on his face and a teardrop in his eye

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 26, 2006 11:42

Sort a milestone, I reckon; but always have had a tough time comprehending
the 'true' or pure country/C&W. Never heard the guy (!)... R.I.P!

Date: March 26, 2006 13:23

Hey Bro.....you'd know the connection though....Buck Owen's tune Act Naturally covered by?... come on Bro you can do it...come on...drummer for the Fab Four..first letter R last letter O....come on Bro you know the tune

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 26, 2006 13:25

I guess the bignosed funny guy, the Starr of the fab 4?

Date: March 26, 2006 13:36

That It!!!... That's It Bro!!!... you win a free Kangaroo steak...I'll send it to ya but eat it quickly or it'll hop off ya plate...boing...boing!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: March 26, 2006 14:45

Sad to hear. I really loved his music. In some way I think he was also an inlfuence for the Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-26 21:42 by bartman.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 26, 2006 14:53

inopeng. Thanks, it came from the heart.

Date: March 26, 2006 19:15

I could tell...if ever asked to give a eulogy I might borrow it...just great...

Date: March 26, 2006 22:03

It's Cryin' Time, people. From today's LA Times:

Just hours before he died, Owens was on stage Friday night with the Buckaroos singing at his $5-million Bakersfield nightclub and restaurant, Buck Owens' Crystal Palace, something he'd done routinely since opening it almost 10 years ago.

"He had come to the club early and had a chicken-fried steak dinner and bragged that it's his favorite meal," Shaw said. After dinner, Owens told band members he didn't feel up to performing and decided to drive home. On his way to his car, fans on their way in told him that they had come from Bend, Ore., and that they were really looking forward to hearing him sing. Owens turned around and did the show.

"He mentioned that onstage: 'If somebody's come all that way, I'm gonna do the show and give it my best shot. I might groan and squeak, but I'll see what I can do,' " Shaw said. "He died in his sleep — they figure it was about 4:30 [a.m.] — probably of heart failure. So he had his favorite meal, played a show and died in his sleep. We thought, that's not too bad."

Not a bad way to go. And talk about love for his fans.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: March 29, 2006 12:53

=====On his way to his car, fans on their way in told him that they had come from Bend, Ore., and that they were really looking forward to hearing him sing. Owens turned around and did the show. "He mentioned that onstage: 'If somebody's come all that way, I'm gonna do the show and give it my best shot. I might groan and squeak, but I'll see what I can do,' " Shaw said. "He died in his sleep — they figure it was about 4:30 [a.m.] — probably of heart failure. So he had his favorite meal, played a show and died in his sleep. We thought, that's not too bad."
-----------------------------------

Man, this week I'm going to Ernest Tubb's Record Shop and buy a greatest hits if they haven't sold out already. This entire thread topic has moved my heart.

I hated Hee Haw when I was young but wish to God it was back on today. With a 1,000 freaking channels out there, it would be better than 99% of the pure sh-t there is today.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 29, 2006 13:15

can anyone recommend, a particular good compilation cd of his work? -thanks

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 29, 2006 20:31

Yes. He had an 8 track released around 72 that I listened to and really liked it. Couple this with Hee Haw and I was a child basket case.

I tried to find the 8 track last night and couldn't. I think my brother has it. If I find the name, I'll edit the post.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home