Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Do men want more from Stones than women?
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 15, 2008 07:02

CindyC
If it is true that the men dissect the music more... I believe they HAVE to do this to mask the sexual attraction they may have to the Rolling Stones, we women do not have to hide/deny this. Guys - just GO with it - the only shame is your own shame - forget about it.

Charlie Is My Darling ... its not just a film for me. The shame, my God, the shame. That's it, I'm going back on drugs.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 15, 2008 14:29

The Sicilian

Cindy, Cindy,

There is more to life than just doing household chores. For the record, I do all the grocery shopping, and work 65 hours a week, help clean and watch my children. I get home late during the week so I don't cook but I do make Sunday dinner. Many nights I have washed dishes at midnight and wake up at 5:15am to start all over again. (I do have a 3 year old daughter in addition to two young teen daughters) I also take care of all outdoor needs such as cutting the grass and cleaning the pool. Shall I continue??

I'm sure a lot of men do the same. Its called time management. Only there is not enough time to do everything. Do I need to come home from work and crack a beer to wind down? Hell no. I don't drink the piss. Pepsi or milk work for me, and sometimes an energy drink.

A sexual attraction to the Stones? I don't think so. I don't have any sexual fantasies including the Stones, or Amy Whinehouse. You see, in general, I don't fantisize about someone that I will never have. A waste of time. It has to someone where the possibility exists for contact. Now you have a male secret to ponder.

The Sicilian - see how easy it is to get upset when people make random generalizations?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 15, 2008 14:42

Hey Sicilian, I knew I liked you for a reason! Do you have a single brother??

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: September 15, 2008 17:33

Whether it's true or not,I have the perception that my opinions are seen as lightweight on IORR because I'm a woman. I've chosen a non-gender specific user name for that reason.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: September 15, 2008 18:25

I think this is not a Rolling Stones phenomenon.

I personally think it is safe and true to say that men are more obsessive when it comes to details like lyrics, collecting all kinds of bootlegs, accumulating tons of unnecessary information and so on...

Take a look away from the rolling stones at the so-called "dylanologists" who know every stupid detail about Robert Zimmerman, including which songs have been played on which dates: they're mostly male!

I don't want this to sound too much like a cliché, it is just an observation I made and I don't mean it judgementally. In NO way would I get the idea to consider any opinion less valuable because of the speaker's sex. In fact I'm sorry to read that some women have made negative experiences there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-15 18:34 by MacPhisto.

Date: September 15, 2008 18:45

Interesting viewpoint MacP, and one I think is often true. Perhaps we can all agree to be equal without having to be identical - in life not just on IORRsmoking smiley.

I certainly didn't mean to sound as though I have had negative experiences here. On the contrary I have a lot of fun reading the board and posting from time to time.

I try not to judge a book by its cover, but I can't help but give less weight to someone who signs their posts mickhasacuteass - help I hope that user name doesn't exist - if so no offence meantcool smiley.

MacPhisto
I think this is not a Rolling Stones phenomenon...

...I personally think it is safe and true to say that men are more obsessive when it comes to details In NO way would I get the idea to consider any opinion less valuable because of the speaker's sex. In fact I'm sorry to read that some women have made negative experiences there.

Posted by: mickhasacuteass ()
Date: September 15, 2008 20:01

I am so incredibly offended right now. And you hurt my feelings. I think I'm going to cry! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 15, 2008 21:48

Hooray for Stargroves and McPhisto!

I would like to shed a few tears but I'm concentrating on cleaning out a closet...man, woman's work is NEVER done!

Plus I'm worried about The Scilian's "energy drink". Or maybe just jealous.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 15, 2008 23:59

stonesrule
I'm a woman and what I want is a tour featuring more emphais on the band, more early songs and less backing musicians unless they're "guest stars" a la Clapton, Beck, Thorogood, John Hammond etc. etc,less over the top stage production. In other words, the less Las Vegas the better. In arenas or comfortable venues that hold no more than 25,000 men, women and children...

Or less. stonesrule, you put that very well.

Date: September 16, 2008 02:19

Whatever Sicilian drinks, I want to slip some into my boyfriend's beer!!! All he does is fall asleep!!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 16, 2008 04:32

Well ladies I just finished the dishes, started a load a laundry and helped my daughter with her homework. Now a few moments online before I'm off to the grocery store for a couple things.

Oh I almost forgot, I also made of pan of brownies with my oldest daughter. Just waiting for them to cool and then....

To the precocious Debra, I'm a Catholic, but for you I wish I was a Mormon.

Cindy,
I've always had a admiration for your work ethic and maternal skills which you have mentioned here from time to time. Your devotion to the Stones far surpasses mine. Besides you reside in colonial heaven of the Boston area. That I envy as well.

Stonesrule, one day in your life during the 60's is more than a lifetime of music for me.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 16, 2008 05:21

I don't think I'm intelligent enough to really understand this thread.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 16, 2008 07:01

Yeah, ya need some kind of IQ to live this life. Thanks Sicilian, I remember two things -- little sleep and never home. But fantastic music!

Date: September 16, 2008 09:10

cirrhosis
I don't think I'm intelligent enough to really understand this thread.

[nfgashf]bsdds

Date: September 16, 2008 09:50

smileys with beer
mickhasacuteass
I am so incredibly offended right now. And you hurt my feelings. I think I'm going to cry! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:42

Ten years ago I attented a Dylan-convent in Stockholm. There were 99% men in the building (one woman sold bootlegs), they were wandering around, stroking their beards, discussing - deadly serious - every single thing Bob dylan ever did in his whole life. I remember thinking to myself, these men don´t really listen to music, they analyse everything they hear and see. I can´t say I was surprised over the fact that there were no women on that convent, how fun is it to discuss why Dylan often played Silvio as sixth song during the tour -96?

Date: September 16, 2008 15:01

My dear Sicilian, I am Catholic too, so I don't wish you were a Mormon....I may wish other things but not that!

Date: September 16, 2008 21:52

mickschix
My dear Sicilian, I am Catholic too, so I don't wish you were a Mormon....I may wish other things but not that!

Sometimes people tell me they wish I wasn't such a Mormon, but for some reason they spell it m-o-r-o-n. Those idiots left out an M!

Date: September 16, 2008 21:58

The Sicilian
Well ladies I just finished the dishes, started a load a laundry and helped my daughter with her homework. Now a few moments online before I'm off to the grocery store for a couple things.
Oh I almost forgot, I also made of pan of brownies with my oldest daughter. Just waiting for them to cool and then....

Cindy,
I've always had a admiration for your work ethic and maternal skills which you have mentioned here from time to time. Your devotion to the Stones far surpasses mine. Besides you reside in colonial heaven of the Boston area. That I envy as well.

Good man for helping around the house and with the kids! I knew you did though- you and I had the whole male chauvanism (sp?) conversation a few years back, so I wasn't really directing those remarks at you, sorry if it came across that way. My comment is just that it's an unflattering stereotype of men.

I shouldn't even be posting on this thread myself - as I am one of the girls you speak of - I don't dissect every thing they do - but my love for the songs is tried and true - even if it is just the album cuts.

Oh and thanks for your nice words about my mommy-ness. That makes me happy smileys with beer

Date: September 16, 2008 22:01

CindyC

Oh and thanks for your nice words about my mommy-ness. That makes me happy smileys with beer

Oh come on Cindy, we all say nice things about your mommy parts all the time.

Date: September 16, 2008 22:03

Well start say them directly to me then - otherwise it doesn't count!

Date: September 16, 2008 22:04

CindyC

You mean writing them on the bathroom wall doesn't count? I had no idea!

Date: September 16, 2008 22:08

ohnonotyouagain
CindyC

You mean writing them on the bathroom wall doesn't count? I had no idea!

No - and that goes for those drawings as well.

Date: September 17, 2008 02:25

mickschix

I know you got the joke of my meaning of the traditional Mormon's having more than one wife. But no, I do not wish to be one either. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Either way, I enjoy your posts and insights very much.

Date: September 17, 2008 15:46

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Well, Sicilian, I guess we belong to that " mutual admiration society" and that's a good thing!! Kindred spirits, very cool! smileys with beer

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 19, 2008 02:06

In summary, because I do think that the Stones are a band that appeal to more men than women, men expect more technically from the band. They demand that they not screw up chord changes, remember all of the lyrics, they notice what parts Blondie plays, when a string breaks, when Ronnie plays a brilliant steel peddle etc. Women notice the costume changes, what Lisa wears, the props etc.This is not a put down because I don't consider myself to be in the later category and I'm sure the women that take time to post here are more serious fans. This is not a guess! I've been to Stones shows with guys and then with girl friends; the guys review the shows in an entirely different way. They're much tougher on the band, notice details, like I do!! My best friend could hardly recall the names of the songs, let alone recall the " weaving" or when Keith posed and Blondie played!! Just the facts. I guess there's really something to the " left side, right side of the brain theory!"

Date: September 19, 2008 03:53

Debra
In summary, because I do think that the Stones are a band that appeal to more men than women, men expect more technically from the band. They demand that they not screw up chord changes, remember all of the lyrics, they notice what parts Blondie plays, when a string breaks, when Ronnie plays a brilliant steel peddle etc. Women notice the costume changes, what Lisa wears, the props etc.This is not a put down because I don't consider myself to be in the later category and I'm sure the women that take time to post here are more serious fans. This is not a guess! I've been to Stones shows with guys and then with girl friends; the guys review the shows in an entirely different way. They're much tougher on the band, notice details, like I do!! My best friend could hardly recall the names of the songs, let alone recall the " weaving" or when Keith posed and Blondie played!! Just the facts. I guess there's really something to the " left side, right side of the brain theory!"

See, I had to pull this old thread out to activate the real Debra!

In your summary its apparent that only a New Yorker could come to such a conclusion. I second that.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 19, 2008 07:51

Hmm, Mickchix brings up the point about the female fans here and how different they are from the average or more casual female fan.

I wonder how the average male fan is different from the male fan here. In other words if the female fan on IORR doesn't fit the stereotype so much, does the male fan perhaps deviate from the stereotype too? Or do both types in both genders fit some of the stereotypes, except for with sssoul, of course. :-), maybe less so for serious female fans and more so for serious male fans...
Is this making any sense? Then we all have our individual proclivities, eccentricities and felicities, huh.

(Do men or women put more smileys in topic titles...?)

Great topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-19 07:55 by angee.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home