Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Stones Come Back To The U.S Next Fall...
Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: March 16, 2006 09:05

I do think they WILL be back for some more US shows (fall or spring) to extend the ABB Tour and get as much mileage & $ out of it as they can (don't blame 'em).

I, for one, will buy a ticket (or two!) to catch them again - as the 2 shows that I did see so far were great (SF1 & Fresno) - and am sorry that I missed the Forum show as I understand that it ROCKED all the way!

SvSFO

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 16, 2006 09:19

Lots of folks thought 30 was scary, then 40, and we all remember the steel wheelchairs jokes in '89, when Mick & Keith were 46, Charlie 48, Bill the old guy at 53. It IS possible they'll keep going til the band's 50 (!), adapt, as always, but I wouldn't place a large wager on it

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 16, 2006 11:58

The Sicilian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> erikjjf Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Gund Arena in Cleveland backed out in
> 2005, so
> > I don't see them playing there later this
> year.
> > Many other US arenas they've played in the
> past
> > backed out. Refused to pay Colh's guarantee.
>
>
> What was the guarantee that they refused to pay
> and what other arenas are you talking about?
>

theyd intended to play a higher % of shows in arenas on this tour than they ended up doing. The problem was that the ridiculous amounts of money that Cohl was demanding as a guarantee left a lot of arenas to make very little profit - so many of them backed out

The most glaring example was the Auburn Hills show, which ended up being a stadium show even though there wasnt really the demand in Detroit for a concert of that size. Ticket sales were slower for that gig than pretty much any other US show, with a lot of 'freebies' being used to fill up the venue.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 16, 2006 13:31

Maybe those fall shows will be the PROMISED club gigs

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 16, 2006 15:32

Its too bad a lot more of the venues did not get together and squeeze that prick.

So why did the stadium shows fare any better especially if they have a hell of a lot more seats to fill?

Posted by: eric ()
Date: March 16, 2006 16:20

According to sources here at billboard. The talk is that they WILL be coming back this fall or early 2007. Philly is the rumored last tour date. HOWEVER, its too early to tell. Like other posts... it DOES depend on how the band feels as to weather or not they will do it. Mick's voice is the major subject to that... so it seems. IF it is going to happen the inital word here is that it would be announced in June for fall and Sept for early 2007 sometime. IF its not announced by those times it wont happen. AGAIN- this is still a rumor but it IS being talked about.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: March 16, 2006 16:33

Gazza Wrote:
> theyd intended to play a higher % of shows in
> arenas on this tour than they ended up doing. The
> problem was that the ridiculous amounts of money
> that Cohl was demanding as a guarantee left a lot
> of arenas to make very little profit - so many of
> them backed out
>
> The most glaring example was the Auburn Hills
> show, which ended up being a stadium show even
> though there wasnt really the demand in Detroit
> for a concert of that size. Ticket sales were
> slower for that gig than pretty much any other US
> show, with a lot of 'freebies' being used to fill
> up the venue.

All too true Gazza. I was at that Detroit show and while it was sparsely sold ticket-wise, the energy was tremendous for that one being only the 4th or 5th gig of the NA tour. In fact somebody bought tickets because I don't recall seeing that many empties from my vantage point.

A question for you.

Any plans for a return stateside visit if (when) the Stones come back??

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 16, 2006 16:33

There are ALWAYS rumors of a return to the states in the fall after the European run and such an extension to the tour has never materialized. That said I hope they do come back but don't expect anything new. It'll likely be all arenas and go like...

Boston, 3 nights
MSG, 3 nights
Chicago, 2-3 nights
Vegas, 2-3 nights
L.A. 2 nights
Frisco 2 nights

and perhaps a few cities that did well last time like Dallas, Columbus, Atlanta and St. Louis. The Palace of Aubrun Hills near Detroit would be my favorite choice but they struggled to sell tickets there in '99 as well as the ball stadium last fall

Date: March 16, 2006 16:38

The Sicilian Wrote:
> > Its too bad a lot more of the venues did not get
> together and squeeze that prick.
>
> So why did the stadium shows fare any better
> especially if they have a hell of a lot more seats
> to fill?

because they can sell more of them at lesser prices, plus it leaves more room to fill up empty seats with various corporate packages, ticket-for-charity type scams etc....

the guarantee would be the same regardless of whether its an arena or a stadium -so, an arena that seats , say 18,000 is going to make a lot less profit and have more risk than a stadium that seats twice as much.

The % of tickets in each category varied greatly depending on whether the show was in an "A" market or not. There were plenty of seats available for $160 in smaller markets that would have cost $450 in places like New York, LA or Chicago for example. They had a deliberately very untransparent way of selling tickets where what you got for your money depended greatly on what show you were going to. It was pretty hard to find a seating chart for each venue which showed you where each pricing range was.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: March 16, 2006 17:58

The Detroit show might have been slow in selling tickets but it was sold out by the time they took the stage.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 16, 2006 18:03

YEAH, I really hope this is true. If they play Boston in the fall, I hope it's not a stadium like Foxboro. They've done that in the past a few times in October and it's freezing. I hate going to a concert dressed in a million layers. I hope they play the Fleet. The last Boston Fleet show was FANTASTIC!

Date: March 16, 2006 18:09

Rickster Wrote:
> The Detroit show might have been slow in selling
> tickets but it was sold out by the time they took
> the stage.

Not strictly true, Rick. There was a lot of 'wallpapering' at that show needed by Cohl more than any other to fill the place up. It was possibly the slowest selling show of the entire US leg

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 16, 2006 18:23

CindyC Wrote:
> YEAH, I really hope this is true. If they play
> Boston in the fall, I hope it's not a stadium like
> Foxboro. They've done that in the past a few
> times in October and it's freezing. I hate going
> to a concert dressed in a million layers. I hope
> they play the Fleet. The last Boston Fleet show
> was FANTASTIC!

Cindy, baby! Ain't no way it will be a stadium, even it were a domed stadium. I just don't see it since there were already 4 shows in Boston, and you can only milk it for so long, even if Boston is one of the cities w/ a big fan base. My guess would be arenas in some of the larger towns they missed on this leg, like Cleveland, Vancouver, and San Antonio, plus a few shows in cities they've already been to.

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: March 16, 2006 19:00

IORR Folks--

Yes, it has been rumored that the Stones will return to the US-Canada in the fall of 2006, ever since May of 2005.

One would imagine that the following would be probable cities/venues played:

MSG in New York

Fleet Center (or whatever the hell the corporate name is now) in Boston (after all, the've only played Boston 4 times this tour!)

Toronto

United Center--Chicago

Las Vegas--a sure bet!

Los Angeles metro area

San Fransisco-Oakland metro area.

No decision will be made until probably Mid-summer. The Stones willingness to continue (Charlies hopefully cancer free), the economy are the issues.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: March 16, 2006 19:57

It's not a rumor. The fall US shows are half booked(NYC,Phila,Boston). They're going to do a few smaller shows, not exactly club gigs, but smaller than 20k seats.

Posted by: cherry red ()
Date: March 16, 2006 19:59

They freaking need to play the Fillmore for 5 nights!!!!!!!

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:24

Yeah I definitely think Philly will be one of their stops, IF they return to the U.S. They did two arena shows there last fall in comparison to their Atlantic seaboard cousins from Boston who had a stadium and two arena shows, and even the D.C. metro market got two arena shows if you count the one in Baltimore.

Philly is traditionally VERY supportive of the Stones and could easily sell out two arena shows this Fall.

Timing and just the desire not to do stadiums will keep these shows indoors. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't return this year. Road weary and lack of creative reason (no album to promote, just played here recently and have played in the U.S. more than 50% of the years since Voodoo Lounge) may keep them away in '06. Plus, Jagger and co. would have to design a new stage set(stadium only) as he is not one to repeat their stage look, unlike Aerosmith who has used the same stage for the last two tours, at least.

God, I hope I'm wrong. Hell, I'll even take a stadium show in October over nothing at all!

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:46

Probably a copy of No Security tour spring 1999 - just starting mid october 2006.....

In would suit them to play some club gigs instead of just doing arena shows...

Set list: 20-22 songs - 15 of the ones we have seen on this show and then a couple more from ABB and 3 more rarities.....

Who could have guessed this...... difficult ain't it?

But for sure - to me, a trip to US is fine - one or two conserts to me and shopping for my wife.......

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:47

And the same songs yet again...
The US is hoping for a return so they can hear Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, Miss You, Tumbin Dice all again and again... But like everyone keeps saying most of the people that go to the shows are seeing the Stones for the first time.... whatever...

Hope you can tell I am being sarcastic.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:49

there's no place for sarcasm on this board.

...wait! I just found some......proceed....

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 17, 2006 00:11

rockdoc8885 Wrote:
> >>
> Plus,
> Jagger and co. would have to design a new stage
> set(stadium only) as he is not one to repeat their
> stage look, unlike Aerosmith who has used the same
> stage for the last two tours, at least.
>
>

Thats right they are going to use the Tongue stage from the superbowl when they come back.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: March 17, 2006 00:34

There must be an awful lot of people out there seeing the Stones for the first time each tour!

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: March 17, 2006 01:29

The Stones ARE set to return to the USA in the fall because the crew have been hired to work that long, and the schedule is already set; they all know but we won't find out the exact dates until summer. A male buddy of mine told me this is true! The tour will end in the USA in early December.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: March 17, 2006 01:38

I heard over at Shidoobee that the US fall tour will include college towns.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 17, 2006 01:41

any specific colleges mentioned? School of Rock? Wazzamatta U?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 17, 2006 02:26

3DTeafoe Wrote:
I heard over at Shidoobee that the US fall tour will include college towns.

That means Boston is out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-08 20:48 by CindyC.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 17, 2006 02:28

3DTeafoe Wrote:
> I heard over at Shidoobee that the US fall tour
> will include college towns.

That would certainly be different but to me, it does make sense
for two reasons. One, the overwhelming majority of college kids
find the Stones passe, at best. Secondly, exactly how are most of the kids in college going to swing these ticket prices?

Does not make sense--unless, we are describing "college towns" as Boston, NYC, Philly etc

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 17, 2006 02:30

ITT Technical Institute, Phoenix Online etc...

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: March 17, 2006 02:36

Yesss its true!!!The Stones will play in my grage this comming fall!!! Please let me know if you need tickets!!!!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 17, 2006 07:14

3DTeafoe Wrote:
> I heard over at Shidoobee that the US fall tour will include college towns.

The Bryce Jordan Center at State College, PA was mentioned.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home