Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

2120 S Michigan Ave
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 15, 2006 09:29

It's in the title of this thread ............... I have nothing else to say other than the fact that THEY SHOULD PLAY IT !!!!!!

They won't of course, cos' it's an instrumental. But we live in hope, albeit with the realisation that it's forlorn hope. O well ........ sigh !

Re: 2120 S Michigan Ave
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 15, 2006 09:38

you're perfectly right and if you want to start a petition about it i'll have the pleasure to sign it first

before the tour started, when we were throwing wishes in the shape of setlists (also posted on the official website) I put this on top of mine, as an opener. I imagine a host (like in a James Brown concert) introducing the band one by one like it were a boxe match. The band coming in one by one on stage and starting to jam. First chuck with the organ, then charlie adding the beat then Darryl and Ronnie and Keith and finally mick finishing the song with the harmonica.

It could be a blast. Fit great exspecially for a club or theatre gig!

Keeep on dreaming!! winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2006 09:42

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2006 14:00

maumau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you're perfectly right and if you want to start a
> petition about it i'll have the pleasure to sign
> it first
>
> before the tour started, when we were throwing
> wishes in the shape of setlists (also posted on
> the official website) I put this on top of mine,
> as an opener. I imagine a host (like in a James
> Brown concert) introducing the band one by one
> like it were a boxe match. The band coming in one
> by one on stage and starting to jam. First chuck
> with the organ, then charlie adding the beat then
> Darryl and Ronnie and Keith and finally mick
> finishing the song with the harmonica.
>
> It could be a blast. Fit great exspecially for a
> club or theatre gig!
>
> Keeep on dreaming!!

I can see it, literally JUST as you describe it. It would work, it would SO damm well, that it could JUST BE WORTH petitioning them about it, it really could. I'm really glad you could relate, because that song for me has always stuck out as an absolute gem, that definitely HAS A PLACE somewhere in a Stones show, and the context that you've identified is perfect !!

MICK and KEITH ............. IF YOU READ THIS .......... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE incorporate 2120 S Michigan Ave in YOUR SETLIST ........ SOMEHOW, SOMETIME, SOMEWHERE !!!!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 15, 2006 14:19

I´m in. Ya can start it out on June 10?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 15, 2006 16:54

And then June 22?
Chuck? Are you there? Logged in? Take note and report to the twins please. Tell them, the same bunch of mad guys that wanted Sway so bad, now they're in for 2120...it will be fun (and also you'd have a glittering spot...)

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 15, 2006 18:02

it wouldn't work at all. love the song, but the band hasn't played a song that even remotely sounds like this in....40 years.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2006 18:18

T&A Wrote:
> it wouldn't work at all. love the song, but the
> band hasn't played a song that even remotely
> sounds like this in....40 years.

But so goes for As Tears Go By, Cherry Oh Baby (in 76), Melody (99) and so on.
I think that the reason why this won't work is because of the lack of Bill Wyman, and the lack of Ian Stewart. Chuck would turn it into a Las Vegas-schoolgirl-bossanova.

Date: March 16, 2006 09:50

T&A Wrote:
> it wouldn't work at all. love the song, but the
> band hasn't played a song that even remotely
> sounds like this in....40 years.

But they have a habit of confounding .............. well everyone really ? I mean, who would've thought that "Not Fade Away" would've worked as an opener, but they used it and it did work. I mean, it wasn't the best choice of opener for me personally, but use it they did and for the most part - it worked. I don't think you can dismiss this song just on the grounds of it (and its like) not having been given an airing in ........... well a long time anyway.

But just stepping back into the real world for a dreadful moment; if you ask yourself what the chances are of them playing it these days are, even "considering" dusting it off to be honest, I'd say they're not good at all. Crying shame if you ask me. They've done Route 66 for example, same vintage, worked great. On Stripped they did "the Spider and the Fly", similar vintage and also sounded great. So I don't think the "age" has got anything to do with it, but I just have a nagging gut instinct that they wouldn't dig it up and give it much consideration. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to be proved wrong !

Date: March 16, 2006 17:45

pauly:

how 'bout i lay 1,000,000-odds on this? You send me $1 if they don't play this by the end of the decade and I send you $1M if they do? Deal? It'll be the easiest buck I ever made.

On the NFA reference - the fact they did this in '94 didn't shock me at all. It was a well-recognized song - and not just because the Stones covered it way back when. The Dead, among other prominent acts, had included it as a staple in their sets for years. Also, it's not an instrumental, so that separates it rather dramatically from 2120. Having said all of that, I actually thought NFA didn't work well at all live in 94/95...weakest opener they've ever done. Great in theory, bad in execution. Ultimately, I think the Stones were in agreement, for when it came time for Stripped, you notice they went with a severely altered-in-the-studio version.....

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 16, 2006 18:31

what? so you prefer start me up and JJF as openers? zzzzz . . .

Date: March 16, 2006 18:33

I prefer a strong SMU or JJF to a weak NFA, yeah....

Date: March 16, 2006 19:22

T&A Wrote:
> pauly:
>
>
> how 'bout i lay 1,000,000-odds on this? You send
> me $1 if they don't play this by the end of the
> decade and I send you $1M if they do? Deal?
> It'll be the easiest buck I ever made.
>
>
> On the NFA reference - the fact they did this in
> '94 didn't shock me at all. It was a
> well-recognized song - and not just because the
> Stones covered it way back when. The Dead, among
> other prominent acts, had included it as a staple
> in their sets for years. Also, it's not an
> instrumental, so that separates it rather
> dramatically from 2120. Having said all of that,
> I actually thought NFA didn't work well at all
> live in 94/95...weakest opener they've ever done.
> Great in theory, bad in execution. Ultimately, I
> think the Stones were in agreement, for when it
> came time for Stripped, you notice they went with
> a severely altered-in-the-studio version.....

I won't send you the $1, but I do acknowledge the fact that if I did ........ it would no doubt be the easiest $1 you ever made. I'm in agreement with you about Not Fade Away. Great idea, not that well executed.

Date: March 16, 2006 19:24

nikkibong Wrote:
> what? so you prefer start me up and JJF as
> openers? zzzzz . . .

As compared to a badly executed version of Not Fade Away as an opener ............ yes absolutely.

Posted by: Brano ()
Date: March 16, 2006 19:41

I want Downhome Girl! Does anyone know any?

Really, it would be great if the Stones played it. We want more early songs!
Down The Road Apiece, Little By Little, I'm A King Bee, Around And Around, Suzie Q, You Can't Catch Me... I know these are mostly covers, but a lot of people associate them with Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home