Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hal Alshby/lets spend the night together
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 15, 2006 21:27

ryanpow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reptile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > First of all, twanghound, it was Duke
> Ellington,
> > not Glen Miller. With that said.. it's my
> favorite
> > movie of all time!! I grew up watching it 5
> times
> > a day. We'd recorded it from some crappy
> > telivision broadcast and everyday I'd
> actually
> > play the tape and I'd pretend I was Mick
> Jagger.
> > Yeah I know what you're thinking, he's a
> nutcase.
> > Well, some kids play cowboy, can I play Mick
> > Jagger?!~
> >
> >
> >
>
> Noting wrong with that, ive done it myself.

Yeah, but I was 6 years old and you were 40. Makes a difference, man!

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: March 15, 2006 22:38

Actually, the film when it was released in the U.S. never contained When the Whip Comes Down. It was cut completely and unfortunately the guitar intro to Let's Spend the Night Together was also cut. Editing really hurt this film in my opinion. Brown Sugar, All Down the Line, JJF, and others lost an entire verse. The band's performance was very good as can be judged by the bootlegs from the Meadowlands and Phoenix shows.

IMHO the tour was great from a standpoint the sound was raw and electric. The crowds were still wild and not too old. The band looked the part of a rag tag rock and roll outfit as well.

The Stones are much healthier, although considerably older, now. The sound has changed and side musicians like Chuck and the horns are no longer bit players, but have integral roles in the show noted by Tim Reis'solo on the Worst and Blondie playing acoustic guitar on several songs including JJF. God, what a sin! Just let me hear Keith play JJF by himself with Ronnie. That's why I'm glad they open with it now as opposed to being a show closer as it was earlier in the tour.

The movie successfully captured the Stones at their zenith, according to some. Most likely, if the Stones of '81 are lumped in with previous tours it probably compares favorably on most nights to the '78 or '75-76 tours, but pales next to '72.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: March 15, 2006 22:42

======The movie successfully captured the Stones at their zenith, according to some.=====

Well it was their last tour as a true creative and working band at the peak of commercial popularity. So it is a great document....

How many original studio albums have they made since 1981....something like 6 in 25 years?
Geez, that is depressing.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: March 15, 2006 22:48

You're right gut. They stopped concerning themselves with making music in the studio and concentrated on how they started their careers, playing live. Unfortunately, they forgot the two usually go hand in hand. However, their catalog is so large they can afford not to record.

Their shows have taken on the roll of the big circus. It's a production with emphasis on lighting and a big fat sound, crisp and precise as it can possibly get with the Stones, a band who follows their guitarist, not their drummer.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 15, 2006 23:04

Reptile Wrote:
> ryanpow Wrote:
> -----
> > Reptile Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > First of all, twanghound, it was Duke
> > Ellington,
> > > not Glen Miller. With that said.. it's
> my
> > favorite
> > > movie of all time!! I grew up watching
> it 5
> > times
> > > a day. We'd recorded it from some
> crappy
> > > telivision broadcast and everyday I'd
> > actually
> > > play the tape and I'd pretend I was
> Mick
> > Jagger.
> > > Yeah I know what you're thinking, he's
> a
> > nutcase.
> > > Well, some kids play cowboy, can I play
> Mick
> > > Jagger?!~
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Noting wrong with that, ive done it myself.
>
> Yeah, but I was 6 years old and you were 40. Makes
> a difference, man!

Well, actually Im 26. I did my jagger impersonation between the ages of say 17-19. I do it now on rare ocassions. did it once last year. but Im over it pretty much.

Date: March 16, 2006 01:09

woah, i was being defensive there. sorry. I hope I still rock out at 40. f**** it!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 16, 2006 02:29

My favorite bit is when Keith takes off his guitar and swings it at some fan rushing the stage in the middle of a balloon storm during Satsifaction

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 16, 2006 02:48

Two of those albums - VL & ABB - as well as Stripped could have been doubles in the days of wine & vinyl, & any band can wait 2, 3 , 4 years between albums now whereas in the 60s the great groups were much more prolific (Stones' 11 US studio albums '64-69, & some classic non-lp singles too). When Alannis Morrisette did that silly remake of her debut to mark its 10th anniversary she'd only issued what, 2 or 3 other albums of new material?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 16, 2006 02:52

onlyrnr68 Wrote:
> best scene for me : Ronnie put a cigarette on the
> floor to begin a guitar solo, and naturally Keith
> take it immediatly !

mine too (obviously staged, but who cares)

It's when singing the backing vocals on the chorus of "just My Imagination" and he still doesnt miss a word of it!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 16, 2006 04:36

Saw this film twice in a theatre when if first opened, and I remember being disappointed by it.

The scene where Keith swings his guitar at the fan happened on that tour, but it was during the pay-per-view show on Keith's birthday, not in the film Let's Spend the Night Together (it was shown in Video Rewind as well)

Hal Ashby was a great director (go to imdb.com for the credits) and Stones fan (he poured their music all over "Coming Home") but he really dropped the ball. Their performance had already been documented (on the pay per view) that year, so this movie should have been about more that just "the Stones live."

Instead of another "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones" it could have been more of a "Gimme Shelter" or "Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll." That is, more of a documentary--a film with a THEME.

That tour, as the Stones entered their 20th year, was the first time you saw "old" and young people at a concert together. Now it's common to see parents and kids taking in the same show--it was a new phenominon then.

Plus it was a great moment for the Stones--they had survived disco and punk, and were now back at the top of their game. You wouldn't know that watching the film now.

This is one rock movie that actually cries out for more shots of the crowd. During "Black Limosine" there's a pan of the crowd, and it's a perfect open for some examination of the relationship between them and their audience...but it doesn't happen. They play in a void.

The Time Is On My Side montage is a disaster...starts with some early shots of them, and weirdly goes into some vintage newsreel footage of a burning monk, etc. and then suddenly drops the whole thing. (Not long later I saw a German documentary on the Stones that that whole sequence was lifted from.) An unfinished idea.

As much as I hate the hyperactive cutting of today ("Four Flicks") some of the stadium footage is way too static.

If you want to see an amazing Hal Ashby movie, check out "The Last Detail."

Date: March 16, 2006 05:24

loog droog Wrote:
> > The Time Is On My Side montage is a
> disaster...starts with some early shots of them,
> and weirdly goes into some vintage newsreel
> footage of a burning monk, etc. and then suddenly
> drops the whole thing. (Not long later I saw a
> German documentary on the Stones that that whole
> sequence was lifted from.) An unfinished idea.
>
> >
>
> I dont think it was a disaster.
To me this shows how despite their image, in the overall scheme of things the stones are very innocent. I thought it was powerful nostalgic and ironic all at the same time.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 16, 2006 05:43

I have a hard time seeing the Stones as innocent, in terms of the word being the opposite of worldly or naive...I guess they live in a protected sort of way, but there has never been much innocence in their music, at least after the initial phase of getting the band together to play the kind of music that they loved.

Date: March 16, 2006 06:36

when you compare them to the sick and twisted things that went on in the world during the 20th century, which is what that montage shows, I think they are.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 16, 2006 06:46

My favorite part is when Mick tells all the Honky TOnk Women that He'll take them to Kansas City w/ him. Watching the movie on opening night at the Bannister Mall in Kc, my friend Vince and I(who saw the KC shows, me 12/14;him 12/15) just yelled out loud in the theatre and had a great laugh between us.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: March 16, 2006 07:03

===As much as I hate the hyperactive cutting of today ("Four Flicks") some of the stadium footage is way too static. ===

Yep, totally agree.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: March 16, 2006 11:56

No the directing is relaxed!! On Four Flicks they zoom in and out and in and out and they switch camera's every 2 seconds. I tried to watch the complete theatre show the other day but I just went completely mad!! Long live "Let's Spend The Night Together"!!

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: March 16, 2006 13:38

Onlyrnr68 wrote that his favorite part was Keith & Ronnie exchanging a cigarette by placing it on the floor...that was a joint...I knew the guy in the front row they handed it to after a few tokes. He said he had a choice: save it or smoke it, so in the spirit that it was given to him he puffed away. If you look really close at the end of Keith's and Ronnie's exchange. Keith reaches down into the crowd...then the camera cuts away. That's when he hands it to this guy. Too bad I was on the side of the stage that night, instead of down front.

Date: March 16, 2006 14:14

As much as you hate drugs; when Keith gives you something you smoke it!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 16, 2006 17:16

I agree that parts of Four Flicks are so frantic that they become unwatchable.

But as far as "relaxed" direction....to me it just seems to go slack. It doesn't reflect the tension in the music. Some of the framing of the shots in the stadium parts have so much empty space as well...it's too loose.

I

Date: March 16, 2006 17:22

I don't mind.. I think the Stones give plenty of energy by themselves that tour. Mick hopping around and Ronnie frantically running all over the stage.. if they'd combined that with those nervous shots it would have been hell..

Anyway, I asked it on another forum, but maybe I'll get more response here.. Does anybody have an MP3 of that studio version of Take The A Train used on the '81/'82 tour?? I can't seem to find it. There's so many versions.

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: March 16, 2006 21:41

I saw it when it came out in the movies and then I got the video. The problem I have is that the sound is terrible am I missing something? Has it changed?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 16, 2006 21:46

loog droog Wrote:
> If you want to see an amazing Hal Ashby movie,
> check out "The Last Detail."

Not camparing it to LSTNT, but you're very right, this movie is faboulas.

Date: March 16, 2006 22:19

I think the editing durng "Shes So cold" is pretty fast paced. but that mostly a montage, not concert footage. Overall, I like the way concert is filmed.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home