Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

anyone like Steve Earle's Stone's covers?
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:23

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:54 by Beelyboy.

Re: anyone like Steve Earle's Stone's covers?
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:26

Steve is the only other guy in the world that has the "Stones" to do "Before They Make Me Run"...

He rules..

JR

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:26

I love love Steve Earle. One time I saw him and it was the very first time he ever played "Copperhead Road". Before it had been released. He played it alone with mandolin. Killer.
Funny thin was I was watching the HBO show "The Wire" and this guy who is this overweight reformed junkie who tries to get all the guys from the hood to go to NA, was played by Steve Earle. He really looks the part.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 28, 2006 21:27

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:53 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 28, 2006 21:30

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:54 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:43

Right you are.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 28, 2006 21:45

he does a great 'Sweet Virginia' too. he's always had the 'back to the wall gonna make my stand' attitude. Great stuff, makes his records with analog gear, as much as possible. great live. you can usually see him and band in small venues. I love it. Will Rigby on drums, Roscoe Ambel on guitar, Kelley Looney on bass.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:55

Check out his mini album with the Supersuckers!

Date: February 28, 2006 22:02

yeah sdstonesguy, thats one of the great underground EPs. Crazy Jackalope Eye...
and that punk version of 'She's the Devil I know"...which is also on 'Train A'Comin', his all acoustic cd, a very different version. cool.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 28, 2006 22:17

Hey Dillard, did you see him as the warm up band for Dylan at Carowinds in 1989? I thought he put on a great, yet brief show.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2006 22:36

Love Earle as a songwriter, except when he gets too political. I don't like this from any rockers regardless of his/her political views.

Date: February 28, 2006 22:36

Lukester, wish I'd seen that, no I really didn't get into SE until after I heard 'Train A 'Comin" then I started going back and listening. I thought Copperhead Road and Guitar Town were OK, but that one CD really got me. now I have a question- are there a lot of Steve Earle boots circulating? I'd like to trade if they're out there.
I missed that show but every show of his I've seen has been great. especially at MerleFest, I saw him with that Train band, they did the whole frkin CD...
w the late great Roy Huskey Jr. on bass...
D

Date: February 28, 2006 22:43

I don't know about the boots, Dillard, but I love the MerleFest. I heard from one of my students that Dylan was in attendance in 2004 (as an anonymous spectator). Also at the 2004 MerleFest was John Paul Jones (of Zeppelin, not the admiral) as a student of the mandolin. He jammed with other mandolin players at some kind of workshop. I can't make this stuff up, heard it on WNCW.

Date: February 28, 2006 22:46

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 07:35 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 28, 2006 23:09

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 01:28 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 28, 2006 23:17

at this point Beely; and by the way welcome aboard, I enjoy reading your posts, either you or Dillard needs to reveal your email address on a post. You can edit it out once you two connect. Then you can arrange to share the boots. If you were going to post the boot on a thread, I think you need to go to the trade section (not Tell ME section) and post as an mp3 or whatever, I'm not sure how that works.

Date: February 28, 2006 23:27

hang on, I'm fixin' to post an email addie..

Date: February 28, 2006 23:52

Beelyboy, thanks for your reply, please mail me at raidthebox7@hotmail.com
much obliged!
DR

Date: March 1, 2006 01:42

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love Earle as a songwriter, except when he gets
> too political. I don't like this from any rockers
> regardless of his/her political views.

respectfully elmo; (and happy birthday to elmo sr.)
i think, considering the "counter cultural" aspect of 60's rock, that
it's a necessary function of some great rock artists (tho personally i'm not a bono or sting fan) to have a 'voice' and represent a 'voice' in this troubled world... then again, in the 60's, at least in 'merica, we had an illegal and immoral genocidal war against civilians that were killing off the best of our own youth too, a corrupt secret federal government at war against their own citizens (who made them rich and powerful) and especially against artists and peace activists and environmentalists and women's rights advocates...

we had a really vicious mentally disturbed president with an 'enemies list' hooked right into the FBI and other secret police organizations...starting sneaky little violent acts using undercover spies, and then blaming it on the 'terrorists/activists/peacniks' ...and resultant hate campaigns...

wow, thank goodness things are so entirely different now.

the kids are alright, and maybe it's good that they are encouraged to be wondering about 'what's so funny about peace love and understanding...'

rock it seems to be, should be part of breaking thru to the other side.
break on thru, break on thru, break on thru...
hendrix, stones, beatles, jefferson airplane, kinks, dylan...many, many....

...part of the reason they kept huge success and enlarged upon it, (after initial top of the pops hits, was that they were breaking thru with something important...
it's a wonder they didn't kill elvis for bringing that 'jungle music' to the white kids... it's not like they didn't burn his records in hitlerian attempts to stop it... it's not like broadcasting is still here...and demographied narrow-casting is keeping everyone in their own little clubs, where they can get picked off and become vicitims of the masters of war...
let's not take the teeth out of art. off the soapbox...
i get tired of it too... but NOT doing something, IS doing something...in that it allows genocidal, maniacs to do a series of coups and take control of everything...
guess i'm trying to say that:

"I’m sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
I’ve had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope

and the stones WERE part of that movement bigtime... and 'neocon' from ABB should have been projected right into the face of every crowd in every red state on the stones itinerary...yeah i know keith didn't want to go there, and mick wrote that one...funny that is...
anyway.
writers and artists have always been the only front line defense and chroniclers of real history in cultures...
so...i also, get tired of the self-serving politics of some artists, and think i know where you're comin' from with all that elmo; often feel the same; but not today

...just adding another spice into the soup here, respectfully....
otherwise we'll be shouting out who killed the kennedys'(metaphorically and otherwise) and not realizing that by keeping society (and the PERMITTED artists) dumbed down and controlled and keeping kids stupid on purpose thru 'education' ; that after all, it's you and me. etc...

i understand that dylan didn't want "to sound the battle charge" and i'm not suggesting he should have...but there's a reason, considering his early writings, that all he'd ever have to do is pick up the phone, and keith and ronnie would be there for him, as they have in the past...

i'm going on too long... sorry; i think we, i, need to let artists be free to sing a song and not get blacklisted or on some enemies list and have their careers ruined and visas revoked, and having to think in narrow lines before they even write a song... not to mention the ensuing phony drug bust attacks etc...on pop artists at the time...

those cops kept busting the stones and the beatles because the government was genuinely petrified that people would 'come together and love everybody right now...' i know some will think i'm an old hippie...and i am...
but am younger than the stones and have seen a lot of stuff go down...
and it's worse now.
the whole dang world gets dixie chicked and then we have murderous blood lust genociders calling all the shots....
fingerprint file; undercover of the night etc...
not their best songs...but increasingly important cultural documents...
doncha think?
ok, don't worry; i won't post for awhile.

Date: March 1, 2006 01:56

again, I am humbled in your presence, Beestieboy.

Well said, my friend.

Whew..... it's a good thing we don't have a "really vicious mentally disturbed president with an 'enemies list' hooked right into the FBI and other secret police organizations...starting sneaky little violent acts using undercover spies, and then blaming it on the 'terrorists/activists/peacniks' ...and resultant hate campaigns..."

That would be bad.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 1, 2006 02:10

I used to play "Guitar Town" all the time (on vinyl, so a long time ago). I haven't really followed him since, didn't even know he was still making records. Any recommendations for his later work?

Date: March 1, 2006 02:19

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 01:37 by Beelyboy.

Date: March 1, 2006 02:49

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 01:36 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 1, 2006 02:54

El Corazon is the S.Earle cd i play the most....next would be "I Feel alright"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-01 03:29 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 1, 2006 03:13

In addition to all the Stones songs mentioned above, he's also performed "take it or leave it" in concert occasionally

I've all of his albums. A huge personal favourite of mine and having met him, a genuinely nice guy too - always has time for his fans.

And anyone who wears a skull ring is cool in my book winking smiley

Favourite Steve album : "Train A-Comin'" but theyre pretty much all good.

Posted by: vivici ()
Date: March 1, 2006 23:13

Gazza Wrote:
> In addition to all the Stones songs mentioned
> above, he's also performed "take it or leave it"
> in concert occasionally
>
> I've all of his albums. A huge personal favourite
> of mine and having met him, a genuinely nice guy
> too - always has time for his fans.
>
> And anyone who wears a skull ring is cool in my
> book
>
> Favourite Steve album : "Train A-Comin'" but
> theyre pretty much all good.

Please, send to me "Take it or leave it"!!

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: March 3, 2006 08:17

Just downloaded BTMMR and DF....pretty good.

Date: March 3, 2006 15:04

rocks off Wrote:
> Just downloaded BTMMR and DF....pretty good.

BTMMR= Been Tapping My Mommy Regularly

DF= Dumb F**ker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home