Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The American Rolling Stones...
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2006 17:46

kienan, I saw his (Wayne Cochran's) display at the Georgia Music Hall Of Fame. He was billed as the white James Brown. I need to check him out.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 1, 2006 17:53

Agree with RoddyD on everything.
Just watched the Crowes in concert on DVd last night. From around their best days. They did go down like a lead zep real fast, but while they cooked they were on.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 1, 2006 18:30

I was at the first of those Fillmore shows that were used for the DVD...wonder which songs came from that night....do the DVD notes tell you, Chelsea?

Posted by: NastyHabits ()
Date: March 1, 2006 18:53

The Georgia Satellites.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:17

The Grateful Dead? I'm sorry. THey are good but they are no Aerosmith. They are what they are. A Jam band. Not close to being the Stones at all. Aerosmith is still intensely popular, they still make good music (regardless what ppl on this board think), and they are still very popular on tour. I know Just Push Play was a bit poppy, but Nine Lives is a VERY kickass album. Every song on it is a winner. I highly doubt that anyone on this board can say they don't think Nine Lives doesnt kick ass b/c most of the songs on there are fast-paced, heavy guitar, super screaming songs. ALso, Honkin' On Bobo is awesome. Aerosmith is the best. period.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:18

New York Dolls (they wanted to be anyway). However, Johnny Thunders made Keith Richards look like a model of sobriety and clean living, so it was not to be.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:31

J Geils should definitely be examined closer by those who think 'Centerfold' or 'FreezeFrame" is what they are all about. These songs were the beginning of the end. This was the riff that destroyed them, the dilemma and argument was should they go 'Pop' and get radio play or stick with the R&B roots.
I was a huge fan until these songs came out. Dig Deeper.

I saw Aerosmith with Lennie Kravits (He rocked) and Aerosmith sucked. Tyler cannot sing, Perry is pretty good. Rolling Stones lite is an insult to the Stones.

Guns And Roses may be a good comparision, Van Halen had its 5 solid years, CCR is a great choice,

Motley Crue, I agreed with that entire post until I read 'Motley Crue', I respecfully disagree and suggest GNR, drugs, dating models, soldout shows,....

Aftr the British Invasion, what has England produced?????? Nothing the past 25 years. U2 is Irish!

Its kinda funny that the Stones hero's were all American.

Tom in NC

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:34

Elmo! The most recent version of an American Rolling Stones would have to go to The Stone Temple pilots. As far as charisma goes on stage no one can touch Scott Weiland. I guess his newest group Velvet revolver would also have to be consided.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:36

stone-relics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Black Crows
>

It's CROWES, not crows.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:38

I forgot, there's no American Rolling Stones.
Each band noticed is good in his way.

Date: March 1, 2006 19:46

T&A I was watching a different DVD re the Crowes. But about the Fillmore disc - I think it only says that they are all from the Fillmore shows and no more.

The Stone Temple Pilots aren't even in the same league. And this has nothing to do with if they're good or not, but they are in no way a band l.ike the Stones, Faces, Crowes etc. Or even Velvet Revolver.
They, STP, have a frontman, a writer, a bitch guitarrist - just ingredients, not personalities.

Date: March 1, 2006 19:47

Jane's Addiction could be counted in.

Date: March 1, 2006 20:02

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
> The Grateful Dead? I'm sorry. THey are good but
> they are no Aerosmith. They are what they are. A
> Jam band. Not close to being the Stones at all.
>

True....but it's pointless trying to have a serious conversation about the Grateful Dead on a Stones board. Most Stones fans aren't the least bit interested in this band. It took me many years of failed attempts to "grasp" the Dead, but what a total revelation when I finally "got it." Another life-changing time. The best way to describe the Dead as they relate to rock'n'roll -
The Stones are a blues-based Rock band (no argument from anyone, I'm sure).
The Dead are/were a jazz-based Rock band

For a jazz fan who likes rock'n'roll- the Dead are the creme-de-la-creme.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 1, 2006 20:03

ChelseaDrugStore! To me, STP were a great band. With a frontman like Weiland they had personality. I think Velvet Revolver has what it takes to be a great band. Others include: Black Crowes and REM.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 1, 2006 21:54

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
I
> know Just Push Play was a bit poppy, but Nine
> Lives is a VERY kickass album. Every song on it is
> a winner. I highly doubt that anyone on this board
> can say they don't think Nine Lives doesnt kick
> ass b/c most of the songs on there are fast-paced,
> heavy guitar, super screaming songs.

I voted for Aerosmith as the American Rolling Stones, but disagree with this statement. Personally, I don't think that Nine Lives is that good at all; it may be if compared to Just Push Play, but definitely not if compared to a record like Get A Grip. Now, that's what I call a great rock record! Great tunes, great guitars, fantastic vocal parts! It's as raw and dirty as can be! And it's also very very well produced. Nine Lives turned out to be a weak, uninspired and overproduced record, with so many horrible power ballads, such as "Hole In My Soul", "Full Circle" or "Fallen Angels". I bought it on the day it came out, hoping for another Get A Grip, and I got a major disappointment. When they switched from Geffen to Columbia, they really lost something, as far as making good studio records is concerned.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 1, 2006 21:57

Elmo,

Your from the South? did you ever listen to Toy Caldwell & Marshall Tucker?

That guy was one of the best's

I saw Skynyrd open for Marshall Tucker out here in LA, back in the 70's..

GREAT SHOW - but Toy was better than all (3) of the Skynyrd's guitarists
combined, IMO

MLC

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: March 1, 2006 21:59

I think Get a Grip is a great record too. However, I think while they were on Geffen they were sort of in an 80's hair band state. I know it was that time period, but I think once they switched over to Columbia and switched management, they got a better look and a more modern sound. Get A Grip though is definitely one of the best albums of the 90s and helped set the soundtrack for the decade. It's hard to think of music in the 90s with out thinking of the singles off of Get A Grip.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:00

Can't You See is one of the all time great songs

Date: March 1, 2006 22:17

Yeah, MCD, I always loved Marshall Tucker Band and you're right Toy Caldwell was very impressive. Rock, country, blues, jazz - he could handle all of 'em. I wrote a song about Toy when he died called "Long May He Ride". E-mail and I'll send you a copy.

sbking@sowega.net

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:25

Hey Elmo,
Can you please include "Long May He Ride" on that CD you might send me? You know I love Marshall Tucker.. saw them at least three or four times. I even saw Toy Caldwell play on stage as a guest with Charlie Daniels in 1978.

I loved his song, "This Ol' Cowboy"

Later.

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:48

Peter Wolf shows up at rock clubs around boston all the time, he is always checking out and supporting new bands. He also jumps up on stage occasionally with this band or that. At the Stones gig in Boston in January I was in the fifth row Ronnies side and Peter comes stumbling through the row in front of me, everyone seemed to know him, and he kinda hung between seats even though I don't think he even had a seat, he was standing next to me the whole time the Stones were on the B-stage talking to some nice looking women in the row behind us.
I am not aware of any band or new recordings by him though..the few that he put out after Geils failed miserably, and they were good....unlike Mick''s albums, hehe. In fact, Mick guested on one of them...

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 1, 2006 23:47

Peter's "Sleepless" album from 2002 is damn near perfect! A splendid duet with one Mick Jagger on "Nothing But The Wheel" and Keith sings and adds some tasty licks to "Too Close Together". The rest is a great combination of good ole American R&B, Country and soul reminiscent of The Stones vintage years!

I pronounced this my favorite album of 2002! Highly recommend to Stones fans!

Ross

Date: March 1, 2006 23:49

Hi Kienan, I was just writing about Weiland in your thread next door.

Date: March 1, 2006 23:51

good call, Ross. I'm not that much of JGeils fan - but peter's Sleepless really surprised me. Was there that night when several of the Stones went over to the album release party for this one after their Orpheum gig. Good memories....

Date: March 2, 2006 00:03

T&A Wrote:
Was
> there that night when several of the Stones went
> over to the album release party for this one after
> their Orpheum gig. Good memories....

WOW! I guess so! What a "right-place right-time" moment! Did anyone perform?

I always admired Peter Wolf. I saw J. Geils Band open for The Stones in '75 and became a fan. They certainly deserve mention as a Stonesey American band!

Ross

Date: March 2, 2006 00:12

oh - they didn't let us in - private affair. we hung out til all hours of the early mornin' waiting for the Stones and other celebs to come out...which they did and we met a few - Ronnie included.

Date: March 2, 2006 01:27

That's still way cool, T&A!

Ross

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: March 2, 2006 11:42

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
> The Grateful Dead? I'm sorry. THey are good but
> they are no Aerosmith. They are what they are. A
> Jam band. Not close to being the Stones at all.
> Aerosmith is still intensely popular,

The Grateful Dead is merely "good" ??

Aerosmith couldn't warm up the Dead...

BUT they are different sounds... if you're looking for garden-variety sex-rock, then Aerosmith clearly has more songs in that genre than the Grateful Dead...

But Aerosmith has nothing to compare to the vast discography of the Dead spanning 30 plus years.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: March 2, 2006 11:44

T&A Wrote:
> jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Grateful Dead? I'm sorry. THey are good
> but
> > they are no Aerosmith. They are what they
> are. A
> > Jam band. Not close to being the Stones at
> all.
> >
>
> True....but it's pointless trying to have a
> serious conversation about the Grateful Dead on a
> Stones board. Most Stones fans aren't the least
> bit interested in this band. It took me many years
> of failed attempts to "grasp" the Dead, but what a
> total revelation when I finally "got it." Another
> life-changing time. The best way to describe the
> Dead as they relate to rock'n'roll -
> The Stones are a blues-based Rock band (no
> argument from anyone, I'm sure).
> The Dead are/were a jazz-based Rock band
>
> For a jazz fan who likes rock'n'roll- the Dead are
> the creme-de-la-creme.

Not to mention very heavy Country, Folk, and Psychedlic influences in the Dead's sound... nobody really sounds like them or has their range.

Because the Dead have such an amazing Discography, if you're trying to get a taste for their best music, make a bee-line to the following albums, no particular order:

The Grateful Dead. The live album that starts with Bertha. IMO their very best album. Any Stones fan is likely to connect immediately with this.

Europe 72.

American Beauty.

Workingman's Dead.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-02 11:50 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: March 2, 2006 14:04

To all - I'll try to get your CD's burned this weekend. Extremely busy at work. Thanks for your patience!

Scotty

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home