Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The American Rolling Stones...
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:09

I love J Geils, seen them 7 times. Everyone who ever went to a J Geils show for the first time always became an instant fan.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:10

I'd have to say either Aerosmith or the Black Crowes. Only my opinion. smiling smiley

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:13

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
If he is not already doing it, Wolf should go get him a show on Sirius like Steve Jones or Miami Steve. He would be perfect as the allknowing DJ with the deep knowledge and the Cred.

Not sure if this is old news, but did you know he was a dj back in the 60's at WBCN in Boston. I've seen him around the city a few times, can't miss him with that messy jet black hair and pale white skin.

J Geils was my first concert back when Freeze Frame came out. They were great. All the girls had a big crush on Steven J. Bladd the drummer (is that his name, i forget).

But as for the American Stones, since that band is no more, I have to go with Black Crowes. Especially live, they remind me of the Stones in the early 70's, @#$%& Blues era.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:15

LOL, OK I gues it would go Lil Walter first, then Jagger, then maybe Dickie and then Brian,.... long long pause...then that guy who sang "the future's o bright I gotta wear shades"
Oh and THEN Stevie Wonder! And his damn glass harmonica.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: ruby t. ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:16

The Black Crowes!

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:51

Bob Seger Band pre-1980 they were awesome
J. Geils - blew my face out - saw them a number of times in the seventies
Bruce Springstein - pre River - New Years Eve 1979/80 Cleveland - It was as a concert gets.
Fleetwood Mac - These guys kicked in the late 70's - actually saw them with J.Geils at Cleveland Stadium

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 1, 2006 01:56

So I am curious about this Bob seger Band. He did get inducted into the R&R Hallof Fame, right? All I have ever heard by him is this AOR crap. Then there seems to be soem stuff from before that is even more lame like "They got the fire down below". When were they good? And how were they good? And what happened?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: March 1, 2006 02:03

gnr

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: March 1, 2006 02:37

I saw J Geils several times and like someone said seeing them live was to be an instant fan. I already loved their live album.
J Geils opened for the Stones in '81 when they were at their commercial peak with the Freeze Frame album. I saw them as headliners just before seeing them open for the Stones. My buddies were convinced after seeing that show, that J Geils would blow the Stones away as opener (actually Thoroughgood was first then J Geils). J Geils didn't come across as well in a stadium as they did in a smaller venue. They were good but not close to blowing away the Stones.
Funny how no one thought of Springsteen - just not Stonesy enough to be considered although I've seen several awesome live shows

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 1, 2006 03:17

Elmo! IMO, no American rock group has become an icon like the Stones. As close we came was Hendrix. Elvis, Little Richard, Bill Haley,and other Rockers from the '50s swept England. Then in the '60s we had the British invasion. I don't think America has ever produced any groups that has reach the popularity of The Beatles, The Who, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2, even The Bee Gees.The list is endless. One of the hottest rock Cds of late was Zeppelin's "How the West was won." Box office records would be broken if they toured with a new drummer.The Stones have no equal. I'm ranting............

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2006 03:42

kienan, I agree whole-heartedly, but please note that I said "the closest thing we've got". As always, I bow at the throne of your musical knowledge.

BTW, I need to get with you about the Jimmy Rodgers All-Stars. E-mail me and maybe we can get together soon. Got some blues you might like.

Date: March 1, 2006 03:57

Elmo! I was ranting. I started my reply to your great post as the closest American group and got side- tracked. Damn ADHD! Where was I? J.Geils was close till the band decided to get rid of Peter Wolf. Guns and Roses till Axel imploded. Van Halen, Roth or Hagar? REM? I like them. In the '60s we had groups like The Seeds.......remember them? "Pushing too hard" was the only hit by them I can remember..... I'll E-mail ya, got some cool stuff you'll like! By the way, Thomson, Ga. in May sounds good. Humbly yours.

Date: March 1, 2006 04:01

I'll be waiting on a friend. Gone for tonight.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: March 1, 2006 06:48

The Joe Ely Band live in the mid-to-late 80s...can I get a witness?

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: March 1, 2006 06:56

The absolute best American band EVER is Aerosmith, period. Bruce, J. Geils, Lynyrd Skynrd, The Eagles, anyone else, none of them are as talented as Aerosmith or have the staying power (well the Boss has the staying power:chart success and concerts). But when you look for true success, artistic, critical, concert grosses, album sales, awards, plain old attention, no American band has ever been as successful as Aerosmith. Okay well I guess I do have to admit I sort of put myself in a corner b/c Bruce is probably equally as successful, but when I'm thking of an American band that is HUGE like the Stones, it has to be Aerosmith. I really don't think there is another band from my great country that can compare. Plus Steven Tyler is a badass mf-er. Really, who can sing as well as Steven Tyler. Not even Bono can hit the notes that Tyler can.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: March 1, 2006 10:31

Bon Jovi? puh-leeease................kidding I hope.
J Geils? Centrefold? Aw come on, they're only JUST better than Huey Lewis.....
Black Crowes NEARLY NEARLY NEARLY got there, but after Moneymaker and Southern Companion just went downhill so quick it was like watching Eddie the Eagle...
CCR? Yep, close, GREAT GREAT band, but not the Stones...
The Doors? Their greatness is a myth....handful of great tunes and that's it. If Morrison hadn't died, their "greatness" would not have been discussed 2 decades on...

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 1, 2006 10:40

I'd have to admitt that i really don't know the J. Geils band and i think i'm missing out on something.

My vote would definetely go to Aerosmith!!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 1, 2006 10:44

"The Doors? Their greatness is a myth....handful of great tunes and that's it.
If Morrison hadn't died, their "greatness" would not have been discussed 2 decades on" (RoddyD)

Haha. Deconstrucivism? History revisionism?
Someone has not heard Doors back catalog.

Well; this is, albumwise, what they released only in 1 9 6 7 (not mentioned
the edited releases on box sets etc)...

Break On Through (To The Other Side)
Soul Kitchen
Crystal Ships
Twentieth Century Fox
Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) cover
Light My Fire
Back Door Man rearr. cover
I Looked At You
End Of The Night
Take It As It Comes
The End --- "The Doors, 1967 Jan

Strange Days
You're Lost Little Girl
Love Me Two Times
Unhappy Girl
Horse Latitudes
Moonlight Drive
People Are Strange
My Eyes Have Seen You
I Can't See Your Face
When The Music's Over --- "Strange Days", 1967 Oct

I wont take up more space; but yer hands gotta be pretty full by now, huh?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: March 1, 2006 10:51

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
> The absolute best American band EVER is Aerosmith,
> period.

Honestly, Aerosmith would do good to OPEN for the Grateful Dead, the greatest band the U.S.A. has ever produced.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: March 1, 2006 10:51

Got all- repeat - all - the Doors stuff. Had to, back in the 'pre-download days'. Like, had to buy each album for the one or two good songs on each. Honestly, with all the hype, I thought I had to be missing something. Apart from Morrison Hotel, they are so patchy it's hard to believe. Prolific, yes. Good, no.

And Aerosmith? Gimmie Rocks, keep the rest...almost like they're a video band nowdays that HAS to put SOME music over their pastiched, sexist videos. But musically....crap.

Hands are full all right mate, holding my (not inconsiderable!!!!) belly, having a good laugh at your post...;-))

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 1, 2006 10:53

The Doors were great. Last album - LA Woman - was a good comback from the worst one (Soft Parade) a few back.
As far as American Stones go, The Black Crowes and Aerosmith (especially the earlier work)

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: March 1, 2006 10:58

The U.S. sort of lacks a top line "straight ahead rock/blues" band like the Stones...

We have EXCEPTIONAL Country-Rock bands like CCR, the Allmans and Skynyrc..,

An extremely unique "country-blues-rock-psychedlic" band (the Dead)...

great folk rock like Dylan, Neil Young, CS&N, Simon & G...

Great "mostly blues" rock like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Janis, and Derek & the Dominoes

Epic rock like Mountain,

Great pop-rock like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi...

Great psychedlic rock like Jimi Hendrix, the Airplane, the Doors

Experimento-Rock like Frank Zappa...

and really great Funk-Rock like the Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Not to mention we've got great straight country and straight blues of all varieties (delta, country, rock, chicago... etc.)

But if you want the American band that comes CLOSEST to the Stones, here they are.... drumroll please....

Motley Crue. That's right, choke on it... they ARE the closest to the Stones... the dope, the girls, bad boys, straight ahead rock... go ahead and try to deny it.

Not to mention the heavy Sagittarius influence (Keith & Nikki) that just says "I ain't fakin' this..."

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-01 11:22 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: March 1, 2006 11:09

1970's Aerosmith 1972 to 1986

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 1, 2006 12:36

when i first read this thread title, i thought it was about the stones selling out

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 1, 2006 12:52

God help America if the J Geils Band are the closest they have to the Stones. "only just better than Huey Lewis" is possibly being kind to them. I saw them at Wembley in '82: they were crap.

Creedence Clearwater Revival or the Stooges is closer to the mark.
The Seeds & the Chocolate Watchband in the 60's had the sound, the look and the attitude down pat.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: March 1, 2006 14:24

Heino, our all american hero ofcourse. tss...to choose otherwise...

Date: March 1, 2006 14:58

Roddy, is all you know by J. Geils is Centerfold, you really need to dig deeper. Try "Blow Your Face Out" or "Full House" for starters. Both are excellent live albums. Lots of good stuff in their catalog.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 1, 2006 16:49

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> I guess if there is one instrument that
> sounds better and better the less you know about
> playing it, it's the harmonica.

It's always good to know your stuff also when you play harmonica. Yet, by your talent alone you can play great blues harmonica, but well used knowledge of the instrument can take you to unexpected heights. When speaking of great harmonica players, you forgot to mention the best ever: Howard Levy.

About the topic, I too think that Aerosmith can be considered as the American Rolling Stones. It's one of the best bands around, at least live (their latest record of original compositions, "Just Push Play", really stinks), but of course if compared to the Stones turns out to be just a pale imitation.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Date: March 1, 2006 16:57

What about Wayne Cochran and The CC Riders? Ever heard their version of Harlem Shuffle? Just one of the almost- made- it- big- artist from the '60s. Elmo, he's from Thomaston, Ga.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 1, 2006 17:04

The Black Crowes, no discussion on this one.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home