Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

china and concert
Posted by: hi1 ()
Date: February 27, 2006 12:27

Will the Stones have to discard some of their songs like it was supposed to happen during their Licks Tour. I think of Brown Sugar, for example. Or will they play anything they want this time around?

Re: china and concert
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 27, 2006 12:48

I guess we will only know afterwards.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 27, 2006 16:23

In 2003, Brown Sugar , Honky Tonk Women, Beast of Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together had to be skipped from the official Chinese 40 Licks release.

Maybe that's a hint.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-27 16:23 by Doc.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 27, 2006 19:25

Of course. If the most popular event in USA have to censor 2 out of 3 songs at Superbowl then I would expect 9 out of 10 songs being censored in China. Mut may be they can bring back Street Fighting Man.

Bjornulf

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 27, 2006 19:27

in china jagger would have to sign..

street cleaning man? ha

Date: February 27, 2006 19:32

They released "36 LICKS" because they did not know exactly what the songs was about. Remember English language is not the main one in China. They have a different language and they are not that well educated on Stones. In fact if you ask for Stones in a store there you will get that physically. So later on I think they understod those songs was not all that much of a problem and they might play them still. Plus playing in front of 12,000 people out of one and a half billion Chinese will probably not be the basis of a contra-revolution I think.

Bjornulf

Posted by: iFox ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:47

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They released "36 LICKS" because they did not know
> exactly what the songs was about. Remember English
> language is not the main one in China. They have a
> different language and they are not that well
> educated on Stones. In fact if you ask for Stones
> in a store there you will get that physically. So
> later on I think they understod those songs was
> not all that much of a problem and they might play
> them still. Plus playing in front of 12,000 people
> out of one and a half billion Chinese will
> probably not be the basis of a contra-revolution I
> think.
>
> Bjornulf

I think I remember Chinese officials saying "Brown Sugar" is promoting "interracial sexual encounters" that's why they have objected this one.
I think recently Chinese put priority in learning English. Many people are of the opinion Chinese are already better in English than Japanese.

Brno 22.07.07 & Warsaw 25.07.07

Date: March 1, 2006 02:09

Doc Wrote:
> In 2003, Brown Sugar , Honky Tonk Women, Beast of
> Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together had to
> be skipped from the official Chinese 40 Licks
> release.
>
> Maybe that's a hint.
>
>
>
> Please update your favorites, DoctorStones has
> moved to a new place !
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/27/06 16:23 by
> Doc.

They're in the prehistory

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 1, 2006 02:35

Nobody buys official releases in China, anyway. Bootleg copies abound - I have a Chinese copy of 40 licks that has . . . 40 licks!

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 1, 2006 02:38

good the stones can mix it up a bit.....i am going to be there!!!

Date: March 1, 2006 05:20

It is a common misunderstanding that English is a world language. It is true that quitre a few people in some smaller countries in Europe like Scandinavia and Netherlands do understand and can speak English, but most people in the would would not be able to understand one word of English. And in Italy, Spain, Germany, Finland, Hungary or any other coutry with their own culture and life a lot of people I met don't understand one word english. I would guess may be 300-400 million people in the world speak English native, less than 10% of the total. Then Spanish is a lot more widespread. Even in USA, and South America. And Spain of course. Then Chinese or Kanji or whatever it is called is the biggest language in the world, next to India/Hindu, each of these spoken by 1-1.5 billion people. I don't think the average Chinese would ever need to speak or understand one word English in normal life to be honest. They have a critical mass, and may be in around 50 years time we all speak Chinese.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 1, 2006 06:07

I have been to China multiple times, and in Beijing especially and to a lesser extent Shanghai, you will have no troubles finidng people that want to practice their English. You can get by without speaking a word of Chinese very easily. And never speak in English and get derogatory about the people or culture around you, I promise within earshot is someone that understands your rudenes 100%.

The ticket Agency is overwhelmed. The seats , I have read, have actaully been cut back to 8000. The Grand Theater may hold 12,ooo, but a large part is blocked out without seats. I was able to get through by following the IORR link at 6 AM my time(4 AM Shanghai time) and order tickets. By noon my time following the link got you to a page that was pulled. As a follow up I called the agency at about 10:30 AM Shanghai time and spoke to a wonderful girl with great English that promised me seats in section in A but could give me no more info than that...and a promsise to try and get me front row. A freind called an hour later and was told to call back in two hours for an English speaker.I have two orders in now, an internet and a phone order.

Section A is about $375 US, an astronomical sum for the average Chinese worker, and I imagine I will see many American and European Travellers and Expats (large expat population in both Shanghai and Beijing) in those seats. The seating map and the size of the hall make it hard to believe any bad seats are being sold, and they get as cheap as just over $35 US.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-01 06:33 by kahoosier.

Date: March 1, 2006 17:26

In Hong Kong which is a city that used to be under control by the English I took a taxi from the airport and the chinese driver did not understand the name of my hotel, verbal or written. I got a paper from him with names of all hotels in English and Chinese, pointed to the one I saw was my hotel name and then he saw the chinese equivalent. Then he took me there and it turned out my finger was ponting wrong. So I had to tell him it was not correct and then I had to talk to his boss on his radio and by this in-between person I could tell the driver where I was going. I mean you will find many people across the world who want to speak and learn English but then again most of the locals are more concerned with day by day things in life and don't have a clue about the difference of "yes" and "no".

Bjornulf

Posted by: rocksoffKR ()
Date: March 1, 2006 18:55

i read today that honky tonk woman, LSTNT, beast of burden probably wont be played, plus its 8000 seat crowd, should be a cool show, prehaps no b stage since no HTW

Date: March 1, 2006 19:14

Doc Wrote:
> In 2003, Brown Sugar , Honky Tonk Women, Beast of
> Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together had to
> be skipped from the official Chinese 40 Licks
> release.
>
> Maybe that's a hint.
>
>
>
> Please update your favorites, DoctorStones has
> moved to a new place !
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/27/06 16:23 by
> Doc.

I just heard a guy on the Boston classic rock radio station say that the Stones have agreed not to play these four songs.I can't understand why Beast Of Burden is being banned but,that's fine with me.That song and Let's Spend The Night Together are usually left out anyway.The real question here is what will they replace Honkey Tonk Women and Brown Sugar with,if anything at all.Too bad it has gotten to the point where it has taken a national government stepping in to force the Stones to give these two songs a rest.Also,I remember hearing in '03 that the Stones might only be allowed to play songs off of the 36 Licks release as it was the only album officially released in China.Have there been any more RS albums officially released there since then?There are alot of songs on that album that I would like to see them try.

Date: March 1, 2006 21:07

So if you go to the show in Shanghai may be it will be only 12 songs in the set list, or may be there will be many different songs, harmless lyrics still reat Stones songs. I am sure they will play 20 songs +/- one so this is win/win.

Bjornulf

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:42

bv Wrote:
> Mut may be they can bring back Street
> Fighting Man.
>
> Bjornulf

Ha Ha - I like it. "in sleepy Tiananmen Square there's just no place for a street fighting man" - literally!

Date: March 2, 2006 05:38

It's pretty odd that Beast Of Burden is said to be banned but,Street Fighting Man & Parachute Woman (you could name a few hundred more) are evidently acceptable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home