Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Atlantic City '89 - Best live sounding show?
Posted by: spbetz ()
Date: February 19, 2006 23:01

Hi group,

Is there a betting sounding live show out there than the 1989 Steel Wheels Atlantic FM show?

I don't like their official releases - no base, drums mixed way too loud, guitars sound flat and too much treble.

I haven't heard anything close to the mix on the '89 show EXCEPT for the recent American Music Awards with 'IORR' was fantastic with a smooth mix and the guitars cranked way up but only half the friggin song!

Other opinions?

-S.

Re: Atlantic City '89 - Best live sounding show?
Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: February 19, 2006 23:02

from nick,
the tokyo 2/26/90 shows is as good if not better, great sound on the sister morphine cold steel blue version

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: February 19, 2006 23:02

I've never heard it. Sounds good, though...

Posted by: adamdean ()
Date: February 19, 2006 23:49

I was at this show and will never forget it! This was the show where Axel Rose came out to touch up his tatoos and played Salt Of The earth - SALT OF THE EARTH!!!! It also had Eric Clapton and John Lee Hooker make guest appearances.

The radio feed was recorded and I still have it on cassette tape (sorry, it's old technology but its MY old technology. so that's OK).

yea, a great show!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: February 20, 2006 00:41

I also have the FM feed, in stereo. It was one of the best concerts the Stones ever did. The Empress Valley 'dead man cumming' release of the two complete run throughs of the opening night set (August 28 and 29, 1989) is a true soundboard with perfect sound. I think this is the best bootleg release ever.

I would love to hear great quality recordings of the other two Atlantic City shows. On the show before (17th) and the one after (20th) both John Lee Hooker and the Axel/Izzy duo performed the same songs as during the PPV on the 19th. Audience recordings exist, but they are not very good.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Date: February 20, 2006 13:14

Same quality as Atlantic City:

Hampton 81
7th Of July (London 90)
Tokyo (90 and 95)
New Orleans 94
Miami 94
St. Louis 97
MSG 2002
Olympia 2003
Twickenham 2003

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 20, 2006 13:16

Where do you place Houston, Dandelion? ... Or havent you heard it yet?

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 20, 2006 13:19

Dallas '69

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 20, 2006 13:26

Better sound quality than Atlantic 89 by far has the stadium rehearsal show Philly 89 on "Better than Real Rebirth".

Posted by: adamdean ()
Date: February 20, 2006 15:46

adamdean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was at this show and will never forget it! This
> was the show where Axel Rose came out to touch up
> his tatoos and played Salt Of The earth - SALT OF
> THE EARTH!!!! It also had Eric Clapton and John
> Lee Hooker make guest appearances.
>
> The radio feed was recorded and I still have it on
> cassette tape (sorry, it's old technology but its
> MY old technology. so that's OK).
>
> yea, a great show!

uh, oh - i am getting that old? memory gone? time for the memory motel.
i am thinking of pre-christmas december show in atlantic city, what year????
i think the date was 12/19/19+89, that correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-20 17:02 by adamdean.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: February 20, 2006 18:04

Tokyo 95 is one of their best shows ever. Quality varies however, still have not found a dvd that has a good sound as the cd has.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: February 20, 2006 19:35

truth be told, now that the stones' guitars FINALLY have some overdrive again this tour, i have had alot of trouble listening to the 'plink plink' guitars and over-separated sterile sound and high piano mix of the 1989-2003 tours. it's really a crime, because the stones guitars will never be as sharp as they were these last few tours. i would give almost anything to somehow mix in guitar overdrive to the boots and official live releases from '89-'03; MR, CYHMK, OH, RO, SFM, BS, WTWCD, Undercover, ICGNSatisfaction, MonkeyMan, etc.

that said, the AC '89 show you're refering to is quite good for several reasons: 2000 LYFH, LRR w/clapton, small venue (13k?), JL Hooker, 2nd to last show of the tour and the band is in great spirits...the only downer is axl rose and the somewhat antiseptic sound mix. i got to see the last show of that tour and was listening to the radio broadcast driving there. i remember wanting to throw something at axl. haha!

the 'stripped' era shows in '95 A'dam and some of the licks theatre shows and a few of the NS shows in '99 might be more to your liking, but overall, AC '89 had 2 great guests, 2000 LYFH, and a very good vibe. surely one of the best of the 'modern era' stones.

Date: February 20, 2006 20:35

"i remember wanting to throw something at axl. haha!"

someone wrote this....you know what.... I was there...and whether or not Mr Axl Rose is a moron or not.... It was so very exciting when he came up on stage to sing with Jagger.... Even today, it is still one of my all time favorite recordings from the vast Rolling Stones library....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1282
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home