Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Studio versions played live
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 16, 2006 17:56

What Stones song or songs would you like to hear the band play live like it is recorded as the studio version?

For me its JJF or Respectable.

Or how about Under My Thumb or Satisfaction?

The fast uptempoed live versions have could use some re-mastering

Re: Studio versions played live
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 16, 2006 18:37

Respectable, definitely. Don't like the arrangement they've been using since '99 at all. The original (and live '78) is so simple it's perfect - why clutter it up?

JJF - at this point I almost prefer the live version over the studio one! I think it's Keith's guitar intro live that does it for me.

Thumb - the version I heard from Bridges seemed to try and recapture the studio vibe - and sounded really limp and too keyboard driven. I like the '81/'82 versions much better.

Satisfaction - it's actually kind of close to the studio version nowadays, at least compared to '69 & '71/'72. Love the current arrangement.

The one song I wish they'd stay faithful to the original is IORR. Too much of a Chuck Berry-by-numbers showtune nowadays. Slow it down and give it some of the sleaze and the dynamic that's on the record. Neighbors, too - another song that got too Chuck Berried in recent years.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 16, 2006 18:49

With no doubt LSTNT: Still Life 1982!!!

Best!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 16, 2006 19:08

i would pretty much echo Juan's post.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: February 16, 2006 20:37

I would say Honky Tonk Women. Although, as has been discussed here before, they caught lightning in a bottle in the studio when they recorded HTW. I don't know that they've ever captured that magic onstage no matter how many thousands of times they've played it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home