Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rio DVD
Posted by: LittleHelper ()
Date: February 12, 2006 17:53

Just read there going to make a dvd out of the rio show. should be pretty
cool.

Re: Rio DVD
Date: February 12, 2006 18:26

Let's hope for a good set list & performance.

Posted by: LittleHelper ()
Date: February 12, 2006 18:31

i kind of hope they put 'this place is empty' instead of the usual
songs like 'happy'.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 12, 2006 18:42

hope its the whole show at least

Posted by: johang ()
Date: February 12, 2006 19:16

Who cares? Look at their continues lack of imagination in Puerto Rico. I mean how many times do you want to hear Brown Sugar, Miss You, Tumbling Dice etc etc etc...

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: February 12, 2006 19:23

I don't wanna hear it always, but once again, let's face it: That's why the people came for. They are going for ONE and only concert and some of us are lucky enough and put their money on concerts. Because of the Stones I am nearly broke, but what the heck it's the thrill of an evening and I am happy to receive one or the other new song every night I go...

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: February 12, 2006 19:35

Hey Lodge, at last someone has seen the light.

If you didn't spend all your bread on the Stones you'd only spend it on something else. Trust me on this one. I too am always broke because of them.
Every time I get ahead of the game I spend it on the Stones.
Can't wait for the DVD.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: February 12, 2006 20:00

That's true.Stones are trapped in their greatness I think.They have done so many good songs that casual fans come for warhorses and the hardcores want new stuff.This is why I think that they should do one theater show anywhere they go.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2006 20:02

johang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares? Look at their continues lack of
> imagination in Puerto Rico. I mean how many times
> do you want to hear Brown Sugar, Miss You,
> Tumbling Dice etc etc etc...

for once, I'll step out of the "setlist whiners" group and disagree with you on this one

last night was the first time theyve ever played in Puerto Rico. Unlike most cities they've played on this tour up to now, I think its a safe bet that most of the 18,000 people at that show had never seen the Stones before.

Aside from the legitimate complaint that you would expect to hear more ABB songs, it was a pretty understandable and reasonable setlist for a "first time" audience

Date: February 12, 2006 20:46

Good point Gazza

Posted by: The Flasher ()
Date: February 12, 2006 21:29

Johang:

It always fascinates me that you never hear the people who were actually at the concert bitch and moan....It's the people that hang around here and on RO and Shidoobee following the setlists online...strange,huh

Date: February 12, 2006 21:34

The Flasher Wrote:
> Johang:
>
> It always fascinates me that you never hear the
> people who were actually at the concert bitch and
> moan....

thats actually not true. I've read plenty of reviews from this tour by people who have come away from shows with a "seen it all before" attitude, wishing they'd take more chances - even if the performance itself was very good.

You could always turn it the other way around and say its as equally absurd/valid (delete where applicable) for people on the same boards who werent at the shows to enthuse about them by saying "great setlist" as it is for those who say the setlist could have been better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-12 23:43 by Gazza.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 12, 2006 23:29

Gazza Wrote:

> thats actually not true. I've read plenty of
> reviews from this tour by people who have come
> away from shows with a "seen it all before"
> attitude, wishing they'd take more chances - even
> if the performance itself was very good.

Gazza, this is,I'm afraid, how I feel about it too since this tour.

Date: February 12, 2006 23:35

I think the people on this board actually go to a good number of shows.

Posted by: The Flasher ()
Date: February 12, 2006 23:42

Theif in the Night Wrote:
> I think the people on this board actually go to a
> good number of shows.

and that is exactly the point..

The common man doesn't spend their life following the Stones around the world and read and post about them on messageboards. They see one show in their hometown and they get a hell of a ride.

And of course it IS going to get static if you see 10+ shows a year( which you americans should remember is a damn privilege) and follow the setlists online.

But we just have to face it 98% of the audience would rather hear BS than WAY and we are just freaks....;o)

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: February 13, 2006 00:04

it was the first time they played in Puerto Rico...so people want to hear Brown Sugar or Tumbling Dice.

Date: February 13, 2006 00:09

That's not entirely true.Yes,it will get repetitive if you go to ten shows on the same tour but,they should do more to make different tours different.They always used to.I just think this is the tour where they have crossed the line of being too redundant.I went to the January 13th show with a friend who was seeing them for the fourth time ever & he was wondering why it has to be the same hits over and over again.In Hartford '99 the lady next to me was calling for Coming Down Again.The people that I went with to Foxboro '97 were upset that Hang Fire wasn't played.They have quite a few options with new songs,rare songs from the past or even some different,less played popular songs like Under My Thumb,Waiting On A Friend,and/or Play With Fire for example.

Date: February 13, 2006 00:10

But in Rio they have played tons of times you should hope for some improvement on the setlist.

Posted by: pedromilfont ()
Date: February 13, 2006 00:11

I am going to the concerts in Argentina and I want to hear Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Satisfaction and other warhorses. I think american fans are a bit spoiled, since the band peforms so many concerts in the US every tour.

Date: February 13, 2006 00:17

Did you go during Voodoo Lounge and/or Bridges To Babylon?Just wondering.

Posted by: pedromilfont ()
Date: February 13, 2006 00:21

No... I was too young then

I´m brazilian, and live far from Rio de Janeiro, so it is very expensive for me to go see a concert. As the show in copacabana will be free, I decided to go to Argentina, to get a better view and sound.

Date: February 13, 2006 00:48

johang Wrote:
> But in Rio they have played tons of times you
> should hope for some improvement on the setlist.

They've only played there on two tours ('95 and '98) - 3 shows in all

The fact that they havent played there in 8 years plus the size of the crowd (and therefore a HUGE number of people - HUNDREDS of thousands, maybe a MILLION - who havent seen them before and have little or no knowledge of their music - which is quite probable as its a free show and more an 'event' than a paid concert would be) would make it most likely it'll be an almost exclusively greatest hits show

I sure as hell wouldnt expect any surprises or to hear stuff like "Worried about You" or "Sway". Maybe they might do something with a few local percussionists on "Sympathy" or something, but expect a standard setlist on an occasion like that.

Plus, as a lot of the appeal of a show being filmed for DVD relies on the visual aspect of the concert and the crowd reaction, that would also indicate a "heavy on the warhorses" type show.

This is unlike any show the Stones have done since Altamont. You cant really have the same expectations as to the songs they play that you'd have at the rest of the shows on this tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-13 00:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: February 13, 2006 01:20

The show in Rio will be free, so there will be a lot of non-stones fan there, so i dont think they are going to play rare songs...

Date: February 13, 2006 01:26

I don't think so either but,something needs to be done to make this dvd different from the ones already out there.Maybe this show will only be part of what is released.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: February 13, 2006 02:04

im hopin we'll get a longer show , mayb 2 hr 20 min. or 2 & half hrs. + a great version of shes so cold would do me

Date: February 13, 2006 03:28

Yes that is the point unless the put on a good show, why bother about a DVD? But with the latest releases nothing would suprise me.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 13, 2006 03:37

I just saw a preview for the Rio show being shown at my local movie theatre on Tuesday Feb 28th. Stones at the movies. Cool. I'm sure I'll go.

The preview came on before "Curious George", which, by the way, for those of you with kids, is boring.

Date: February 13, 2006 17:08

Maybe songs like Midnight Rambler,Night Time(Is The Right Time),She's So Cold etc. will be used for a live album.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 13, 2006 19:12

I wanna hear all the warhorses + gems + new stuff, and I'll get it. Jagger said that he can't be bothered what songs a fan wants to hear. Absolutely correct. I'd go to a show with Gomper played 20 times in a row, because A) They play great on this tour (All I heard was cool for the most part), and cool smiley They make good setlists as far as I'm concerned (But that's of course very individual what one thinks). Why should the Stones bother with how many times you have seen them? The real culprit is the fans, who simply have spoiled themselves with too many Stones shows. I'll make an experiment on whoever reads this: Put your fave Stones song in the CD-player and put it on repeat. Listen to it for a day or so, you will get sick of it no matter how much you like it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: February 13, 2006 19:14

It´s the audience that will make this show special no matter what they play. It´s not the lame popcorn eating sitting down beerbelly audience the Stones play to at 90% of the North American tour. Shows in Argentina/Brazil/Spain always give the band a little extra energy, because people simply go nuts.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home