Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Musical Taste Is Swayed By Peers
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 11, 2006 16:54

Just thought this was interesting:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Re: OT: Musical Taste Is Swayed By Peers
Date: February 11, 2006 22:22

I think it's completely wrong, I'm 16 and play in a band of 16 year olds playing Stones, Kinks and Beatles, whoa are my favourite bands, so it's wrong!

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:28

If that was true, when I was a kid I would have been a Scorpions fan, bullshit study IMHO

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: February 12, 2006 01:30

"It also suggests that even if an act creates high quality music, you might not be successful," he said.

That part is right just lok at some of the carp in the charts there are people out there busking better than a lot of them.

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: February 12, 2006 01:33

[iorr.org]

I rest my case.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: February 12, 2006 03:54

Yeah, that is all wrong. I remember listening to Jimi Hendrix and Muddy and the Stones when i was in 7th grade. 1985 I think. My friends didn't know what the hell I was listening to. I guess for some it can be true. Just look at what is so popular nowadays. I think that if people were not so scared of what their peers thought then they probably wouldn't like most of the stuff that the media shoves down their throats. My musical tastes have NEVER been swayed or influenced by peers. I like what I like and that's it. No one can stand me right now cuz all I've been listening to is Naked City and other John Zorn stuff. DEFINITELY NOT FOR EVERYONE. Those who's musical taste is swayed by their peers really don't have musical taste to begin with.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: February 12, 2006 05:36

I would say that taste in ANYTHING, not just music, is swayed by peers. There are *exceptions* of course, but a majority of people, especially when young, like what they think they should-- in a desperate attempt to fit in. And if they like something else, they keep it to themselves, or call it a "guilty pleasure".
The exceptions are, I think, people who truly love music for the music itself (or whatever else the taste is about).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home