Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT : The Strokes
Posted by: Gimme Shelter ()
Date: January 24, 2006 17:26

what do you think about them ? yesterday i saw them on mtv live and NICK VALENSI is one of the coolest guitar players on earth ...

Re: OT : The Strokes
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 24, 2006 17:27

I like them,good band.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 24, 2006 17:59

Not sure about the new album- prefered, "Is This It".
Struggled with "Room On Fire", too.
Good, tight, live band, when i saw them.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 24, 2006 18:48

I thought Room On Fire was better then Is This It. Just finished downloading the new album, haven't heard it yet. Would love to see them live...

Posted by: Larso ()
Date: January 24, 2006 19:00

Cool band "Is this it" rocks quite good i think..would love to see them warm up in Europe

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 24, 2006 21:35

Culturally, the Strokes were a big influence on me. They're the reason I grew my hair long and wore Converse all stars. They're the reason why I started to look beyond the actual music of bands and started getting interested in fashion. So many of today's bands owe a hand of gratitude to these New Yorkers. They opened so many doors. I believe they really did get kids interested in rock n' roll again and whether you're personally a fan or not, surely you'd have to admit that’s a good thing.

I love the new album, I think it's refreshing and VERY different to the previous two, but it's no Is This It. That record means everything to me.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: January 24, 2006 22:55

In february I will attend the shows in Hammersmith Apollo, London. I have never seen The Strokes live before, so I am really looking forward to it. The first record "is this it", is a great rock record. But if you want the rock to roll, listen to the stones=)

Posted by: stanbooth ()
Date: January 24, 2006 23:04

Great band. Saw them very early on in Boston before the hype and they kicked ass. At the time I thought they could save rock but eventually fell victim to the star making machinery that ruins every young band these days. BUT an almost Stonesian performance; boozy, absolutely gorgeous girls who could stop traffic, and a f*&^ you attitude. Plus it was only 5 bucks.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 24, 2006 23:07

I think they're good but not great. They're very overrated in my opinion. Their fame seems to be more due to their looks, their hairstyles, their clothes and all the hype surrounding them rather than their music.

Date: January 24, 2006 23:13

Well, ohnonotyouagain, I guess you can say the same thing about Rolling Stones.

Date: January 24, 2006 23:16

The Worst. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, ohnonotyouagain, I guess you can say the
> same thing about Rolling Stones.
>
>
> I'm called the hit-and-run raper in anger, the
> knife-sharpened tippie-toe..

No doubt the Stones got attention for all the things I mentioned, but the difference to me is the Stones are an outstanding musical group and the Strokes are just a notch or two above average. Just my opinion of course, if you dig them then more power to you. I'd rather see people listening to the Strokes than Britney Spears. Even though a much better choice than either would be the White Stripes smiling smiley

Date: January 24, 2006 23:26

But the stones would never had that legendary status today without the hype surrounding their looks, their hairstyles, their clothes. But of course I agree, the reason for their long lasting sucsess are based on a musical foundation of quality. Let's wait and see where The Strokes are in a decade!

Date: January 24, 2006 23:54

The Worst. Wrote:
> But the stones would never had that legendary
> status today without the hype surrounding their
> looks, their hairstyles, their clothes. But of
> course I agree, the reason for their long lasting
> sucsess are based on a musical foundation of
> quality. Let's wait and see where The Strokes are
> in a decade!
>
> I'm called the hit-and-run raper in anger, the
> knife-sharpened tippie-toe..

Agreed. Maybe one reason I'm not crazy about the Strokes, besides the fact that their music doesn't thrill me all that much, is because two of their daddies are rich and famous. Singer Julian Casablancas' dad is the head of the world-famous Casablancas modeling agency, and guitarist Albert Hammond Jr.'s dad is Albert Hammond, the A&R guy who signed Dylan and Springsteen, among others.

I suppose I shouldn't hold that against them, but I do. I feel like they got an unfair leg up because of that. I can't help but think if their parents had been nobodies they would still be playing in bars in front of 50 people. But oh well, at least their drummer is nailing Drew Barrymore. Who, ironically, also comes from a famous family!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-24 23:57 by ohnonotyouagain.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 25, 2006 00:58

The Strokes are lame. Much prefer The Hangmen;Supersuckers;Streetwalkin Cheetahs;Screeching Weasel; Nashville Pussy;Backyard Babies: Guitar Wolf; thee Michelle Gun Elephant;Hellacopters;Wildhearts and many many more!

Date: January 25, 2006 01:25

"Room on Fire" : A reviewer recently named it "Hype on Ice". I agree.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 25, 2006 01:27

Big Al Wrote:
> Culturally, the Strokes were a big influence on
> me. They're the reason I grew my hair long and
> wore Converse all stars. They're the reason why I
> started to look beyond the actual music of bands
> and started getting interested in fashion. So many
> of today's bands owe a hand of gratitude to these
> New Yorkers. They opened so many doors. I believe
> they really did get kids interested in rock n'
> roll again and whether you're personally a fan or
> not, surely you'd have to admit that’s a good
> thing.
>

So Rock n' Roll for you is about having long hair and wearing Converse???

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: January 25, 2006 02:14

Ohnonotyouagain, you have your Hammonds mixed up. It was John Hammond who was the A&R rep who signed Dylan and Springsteen. Albert Hammond, Sr is a musician from Los Angeles most famous for his song It Never Rains In Southern California.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 25, 2006 02:22

Big Al Wrote:
> Culturally, the Strokes were a big influence on
> me. They're the reason I grew my hair long and
> wore Converse all stars. They're the reason why I
> started to look beyond the actual music of bands
> and started getting interested in fashion. So many
> of today's bands owe a hand of gratitude to these
> New Yorkers. They opened so many doors.
>

well, speaking of New York converse-wearing rock'n'rollers.....ever hear of the Ramones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-25 02:25 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 25, 2006 02:36

One of my all time favorite bands. The new album is excellent, much better than the underrated "Room On Fire" and on par with "Is This It" IMO.

I saw them live in 2002 during the absolute peak of the "Is this It" hype and it was one of the greatest, hottest, wildest and sweatiest shows I ever saw even though they only played for 50mins with no encore.

Date: January 25, 2006 06:25

Halup Wrote:
> > Ohnonotyouagain, you have your Hammonds mixed
> up. It was John Hammond who was the A&R rep
> who signed Dylan and Springsteen. Albert Hammond,
> Sr is a musician from Los Angeles most famous for
> his song It Never Rains In Southern California.

Darn it, you're right. I think I need to hire a fact checker.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 25, 2006 14:18

I like just about everything about them except the new album; it still has not grabbed me.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: moonsup ()
Date: January 25, 2006 17:15

this group sure makes me laugh. first read of them years back and the name alone cracked me up, seems to be the only interesting thing. saw them 5-6 years ago when the hype was there, and thought phil collins rights better songs. they were dire. the 'room on fire' title made me smile, just compare it to 'exile on main street'... everything about them is lame in spades. all done before way way better. was amazed lou reed seemed to endorse them! yes there are so many current bands on full throttle rock and there long before strokes, good eg. above was guitar wolf, + howlin hex, RTX...so many sheesh even cat power has more guts then those gumps. this is MHO. i did try give em a chance but not for me. no surprise new one has bad reviews. check out other stuff thats goin on now.

I'm free to do what I want any old time...
I'm free to sing my song knowing it's out of trend

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: January 25, 2006 18:26

Laughable corporate r

ock - though the songs are more carefully constructed than most corporate rock. Yes, I've seen them live, on Randall's Island in 2004, right before the Stooges went on. They were un-nerved and whiney because people weren't there to see them (which was pretty funny).

Date: January 25, 2006 20:37

Corporate rock? Thats a good one, the Strokes record couldnt be less corporate, its a garage band record run riot. Its also good coming from someone mentioning the Stooges, Iggy is the sell out king of the last few years, Skull Ring is corporate dung of the first order. The Stooges reuninon is the most overrated hype of all time, great band who died in 1974,Williamson at least had the decency not to get involved in this embarassing reunion.Lets see if they ever finish this proposed new Stooges record, hopefully it wont be as bad as the last few Iggy catastrophes.

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: January 25, 2006 20:45

Gee, Williamson wasn't invited. You see, there are actually two records by the Stooges that pre-date Search & Destroy - which don't have Williamson or his wanking which are very much worth hearing (to put it mildly).

There a few good songs on Skull Ring - but the bad ones designed for formatted FM play are indeed unspeakibly bad - but I digress - The Strokes are pre-packaged, over-produced coporate rock marketed to folks who know nothing about the sources of the musical/aesthetic references which they (errm, I mean their management team) make.

Date: January 26, 2006 10:11

Are you sure James Williamson wasnt invited? where did you read that.
Calling his guitar playing "wanking" is just bullshit, he's one of the greatest rock guitar players IMHO, and much as I like Ron Asheton, Iggy didnt originally relegate him to bass for nothing.

I dont deny that the first 2 Stooges records are great, but its kind of redundant playing a concert almost exclusively with those songs 35 years later. My point was that deciding to do that comes completely from "corporate" i.e Iggy. Iggy famously said that the Asheton brothers couldnt organise a fishtank, so its funny there all buddy buddy now, Iggy jut wants to buy another Corvette for his silicon titted girlfriend.

By the way,i've been watching Iggy for 30 years and he has become a huge disappointment, the records are just dreadful, and live most of the tours since the eighties have been anyway a Stooges cover show.

"folks who know nothing about the sources of the musical/aesthetic references which they (errm, I mean their management team) make.".
And this comment I take as an insult, I would bet I know just as much as you, if not more, about these hallowed references you talk of. 2006 - Strokes good band, good new album. 2006 -Stooges, boring circus act.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 26, 2006 17:26

humanriff77 Wrote:
> Are you sure James Williamson wasnt invited? where
> did you read that.
> Calling his guitar playing "wanking" is just
> bullshit, he's one of the greatest rock guitar
> players IMHO, and much as I like Ron Asheton, Iggy
> didnt originally relegate him to bass for
> nothing.
>
> I dont deny that the.
>
> By the way,i've been watching Iggy for 30 years
> and he has become a huge disappointment, the
> records are just dreadful, and live most of the
> tours since the eighties have been anyway a
> Stooges cover show.
> >
>

humanriff77....i agree with ya on James Williamsons geetar playin....friggin amazing!....the notes he plays compete with Iggys vocals for center stage...almost like a call and response...the tone is a fantastic, barbed-wire creature jumpin outta the speakers ready to strangle anything in its path....dangerous & abrasive sounding......dont know a lot of iggys solo work from the past couple of decades but "skull ring" is allright in my book, with some Stoogy tracks and a great track called "Whatever"and another called "Little Electric Chair"....and the Igster can still tear it up on stage with the best of 'em...he's one of the great rock'n'roll "athletes" of all-time imo....and for a guy who was hell-bent on self-destruction in his earlier years, has actually kept himself in great shape.....heard a rumour about Williamson wanting nothing to do anymore with the Stooges...supposedly he's in the computer world somewhere in Southern California (not sure if this is true)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-26 17:35 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 04:37

Mick actually appears in their new Drag Queen video literally for fractions of a second (three times close together). See if you can find him. smiling smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 4, 2016 06:06

Great band.
I know nothing about their fashion or style or management, nothing.
But my son plays their their CDs in the car when we go on road trips and it's good stuff.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: June 4, 2016 13:57

Saw them open for stone in D.C. And Hartford in 2002......they sucked.....they must have gotten better if they're still around....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home