Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Please can someone post yesterdays SWAY !!!
Date: January 22, 2006 17:17

G-

Can you repost please? I'm not able to open it and i'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 22, 2006 17:55

I would love to hear it too.I can't open either link!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 22, 2006 18:23

Hmmmm . . . not bad, but not great either. I'm no longer kicking myself for choosing to go to the Weds. show instead of the Fri. show! I like Mick's vocal on this, though the tempo is definitely a little fast and Ronnie is most certainly all over the place. Better than Columbus, though. I think the overload on the taper's microphone makes the whole thing sound heavier, which is good because I thought it was too light on the clean Columbus recording - does that make any sense?

Question for anybody who was there on Fri. - what guitar was Ron playing on Sway? The sunburst Strat? The big one with 3 pickups & the mirrored pickguard that he's been playing most of his slide on since the Faces days? The silver metallic Zematis (which I remember him playing on Weds. at MSG, though I was up in the rafters and also pretty drunk, so I could be completely wrong)?

Cheers,

John

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: January 22, 2006 18:24

Please repost. I can't open it either. Thank you G Cock! You be da man!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 22, 2006 18:47

JuanTCB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what guitar was Ron playing on Sway?

From what I can see on the video clip, a Firebird.
[homepage.mac.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 22, 2006 19:16

my thoughts:

1) overall better than Columbus - they should keep working on it
2) too fast - the song is a slow grinder; slower is better with songs like this
3) Jagger's still effing up the emphasis on the wrong words in the opening lines
4) Woody? As good as he's capable of at this stage - you can read into that comment anything you like
5) They need a better ending - I assumed they had blown the intended ending in Columbus, but apparently not...

6) On a more general note - I'm reall beginning to get bothered by Jagger's vocal cues (to and from bridge) - "here we go." "Here we go" is not in the lyrics, Mick! Most competent bands use subtle visual clues (nod of the head is common)....why the GRNRBITW needs to hear their singer say "here we go" to catch a cue is beyond me).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 22, 2006 19:21

Still not perfect, especially because of Ronnie's solo but I hope they will give the song more tries and I'm sure it will get better and better.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 22, 2006 19:30

Excellent thank you. Now does anyone have " A'int to proud to beg" Please post .

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 22, 2006 19:38

Is this some kind of figure skating competition where the judges rule by reading reports? I was there. Ronnie was just great. I don't understand how people can review a guitar player, and certainly not from a bootleg recording. If you don't like it, or if you don't like the way Ronnie is playing, then stay home or at lest don't tell us. We are not interested. He is part of the band and it is an offense to the band if you try to change him or replace him. That is the way he is playing and 18,000 people at the Garden loved it. If you don't like it then start your own band or start listening to studio musicians who are probably technically superior but musically dead boring.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 22, 2006 19:53

here we go keeping this thing,together.

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: January 22, 2006 20:08

Here we go again as requested,

"Sway" mp3: [s42.yousendit.com]

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 22, 2006 20:09

no sway without Mick Taylor...as well as winter or TWFNO...or even CYHMK...Ronnies skills are somewhere else.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 22, 2006 20:16

Since I've only listened to this song more times than I can count for several decades, I'm surprised I only now recognize this...

Sway has ALOT of TEMPO CHANGES.... starts, stops, crescendos... at some points it slows down to a crawl....

IMO this makes it a more difficult song to produce a good live arrangement than is first obvious. It seems like such a simple song at first but it's really anything but.

Wild Horses has a similar "feel" to it and has been their go-to song in the category because they have such a great live arrangement of it.

Sway still seems a work in progress, though a very worthwhile one.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: January 22, 2006 20:17

G. the Cock Wrote:
> Here we go again as requested,
>
> "Sway" mp3:
>
>
>
> Truth is stranger than fiction
>
> stoned greetings
> G. The Cock

Could just entirely be my imagination, but this version seems somewhat cleaner sound that the first u-sendit post.

Date: January 22, 2006 20:17

bv Wrote:
> Is this some kind of figure skating competition
> where the judges rule by reading reports? I was
> there. Ronnie was just great. I don't understand
> how people can review a guitar player, and
> certainly not from a bootleg recording. If you
> don't like it, or if you don't like the way Ronnie
> is playing, then stay home or at lest don't tell
> us. We are not interested. He is part of the band
> and it is an offense to the band if you try to
> change him or replace him. That is the way he is
> playing and 18,000 people at the Garden loved it.
> If you don't like it then start your own band or
> start listening to studio musicians who are
> probably technically superior but musically dead
> boring.
>
> Bjornulf

"We" are not interested? For whom exactly to you presume to speak? And, you need to BE THERE in order to evaluate an audio recording? Excuse me? I guess my evaluation of all Stones live recordings prior to 1981 are ones I'm not qualified and/or capable of evaluating, I suppose.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 22, 2006 21:13

bv Wrote:
> Is this some kind of figure skating competition
> where the judges rule by reading reports? I was
> there. Ronnie was just great. I don't understand
> how people can review a guitar player, and
> certainly not from a bootleg recording. If you
> don't like it, or if you don't like the way Ronnie
> is playing, then stay home or at lest don't tell
> us. We are not interested. He is part of the band
> and it is an offense to the band if you try to
> change him or replace him. That is the way he is
> playing and 18,000 people at the Garden loved it.
> If you don't like it then start your own band or
> start listening to studio musicians who are
> probably technically superior but musically dead
> boring.
>
> Bjornulf

I don't understand your argument. Most uf us say, that Mick Taylor is a great guitarist, hearing the boots like "Brussels Affair". I say that Ronnie has been one of the best rock guitarists, because I know the boots from the '70 and the '80. So it must be possible to give a bad review hearing the present boots. I don't think that a bad review is a "offense to the band". Many uf us complain the present guitar work of a member of our favorite band. Nobody or nearly nobody of us want to see Ronnie replaced by a new guitarist. The function of reviews, particularly bad reviews, is that the artists reflect their work and improve something.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 22, 2006 21:23

I thought "Sway" was very good. A few bum-notes, but otherwise a fine solo by Ronnie at the end.

Posted by: charles wattage ()
Date: January 22, 2006 21:28

I liked it,was cool to see.Ronnie played the solo well,I thought.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 22, 2006 21:30

And I believe this community on IORR was important for the performance of "Sway". Nice to think of.

Date: January 22, 2006 21:48

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I thought "Sway" was very good. A few bum-notes,
> but otherwise a fine solo by Ronnie at the end.

Ah - you must not have gotten the memo - THERE WERE NO BUM NOTES PLAYED DURING THE ENTIRE SHOW. We'll make sure you are on the distribution list going forward.

Posted by: FAH3 ()
Date: January 22, 2006 21:58

I was there and the playing of Sway was just magical. I am tired of hearing all this bitching and moaning about it not sounding like the studio version. Mick Taylor is gone and he isn't coming back. Should the band just not play anything from the Mick Taylor era. Do you seriously want to hear the same material over and over again? I appreciate their effort and would rather have a rough version of Sway over You Got Me Rocking, for example, any day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-22 21:59 by FAH3.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 22, 2006 22:05

I was there, I didn't find Ronnie so good on Sway. Kind of found him better when I listened to the boot, but still sub par compared to the others.
But that's just my opinion.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: January 22, 2006 22:10

CYHMK worked very good live in 2002-03. And now Sway works. Good for the Stones, for Ronnie and for us. Unforturtunately, we have not LIVE versions of the 1971-1975 years to make comparisons...

Date: January 22, 2006 22:19

stickydion Wrote:
Unforturtunately, we have not LIVE
> versions of the 1971-1975 years to make
> comparisons...
>

I think they made one rehearsal on Sway back in the 70's and said "wait a minute"... this things a bear to arrange live... all the tempo changes, screw this.

Which leads to one point... Sway is as much a DRUMMERS SONG as it is the Lead Guitarist... to really nail all those transitions the drums have to have it down. As I listen to Sway on these recordings it's my opinion that Charlie's still working on it.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: January 22, 2006 22:25

BornOnTheBayou, i think they made one rehearsal on Sway in the 72- 73 and said "OK, we need a guitarist better than Taylor to play it live!..."

Date: January 22, 2006 22:27

stickydion Wrote:
> BornOnTheBayou, i think they made one rehearsal on
> Sway in the 72- 73 and said "OK, we need a
> guitarist better than Taylor to play it live!..."
>

Before everyone blames Ronnie for this, I'm still of the opinion that the Drums are more important on this tune... to get the transitions right.

Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: January 22, 2006 22:35

Love that last post. It sounds to me like Ronnie is attempting to follow the basic structure of Mick's solo on the album. He does this a lot, like in Heartbreaker and CYHMK. He doesn't try to cop the solos, but does attempt to follow where those solos go structure-wise a bit. I wonder how Ron would be if he just let loose and did it his way. Everyone seems to agree that he was great in 78, when he was playing like himself on newer material that Mick never played on. When he has to play a classic that Mick played on, it sounds like he's trying to at least pay some respect to the original solo, which may take away from really feeling it. I would personally like to hear Ron just rip for himself, do it his way.

As for Mick Jagger, he will never sing the way he did in 1970, he's not a young punk in his 20's anymore. He hasn't sung the correct melody on Rocks Off in years, and he sings Sway differently too. They changed the key of IORR for his voice. At least he doesn't sound like a Jagger impersonator on the last album. The Stones will never sound like they did when they recorded these songs, and they will continue to sound like guys in their 50's and 60's for as long as they are in their 50's and 60's. What it comes down to for me is do you want to hear them play Sway or not?! For weeks, everyone said that they did. Well, you have to deal with the fact that it is the Stones NOW playing it. It sounded good to me and I was glad to hear them digging in to the obscure stuff (and obviously trying to please some fans here, too bad this is what they get for it). The Stones, then and now, do it the best period! Be glad that you got Sway.

Date: January 22, 2006 22:44

let's get something straight - there are NO tempo changes in Sway.

Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: January 22, 2006 22:59

Very true, just a turn on the "one" in the intro, classic Charlie (studio version). A pretty basic tune, simple to play with a 5 piece in fact, alright 6 for the piano. To agree with BornOnTheBayou, the drums are absolutely magical on Sticky Fingers, feeling somewhat sloppy, but very perfect at the same time. That's where the groove of the tune comes from, that and the fact that Jagger is playing the rhythm and Keith was out to "tuning up" somewhere.

The best thing about music, is you like what you like based on your opinion. The arguments here are meaningless because people like what they like. No text book can give us the answer the the Ron vs MT thing. At least the Stones have or had at least one line up for all their fans, whether it was with Brian, MT, or Ron. I thought the recording of Sway posted here was great. It's the Stones in 2006, and it sounded good. Glad to see the Stones trying to please their fans.

Date: January 22, 2006 23:08

StonesTod Wrote:
> let's get something straight - there are NO tempo
> changes in Sway.

What do you call the transitions around 125 secs - 145 secs into the song....."there must be ways.... Love is the way...." when they have to shift gears and move into heavy lead guitar line...

Then again around 215 - 230 when the song downshifts, again around "there must be ways..."

Around 305-315 when transition again to dominate lead guitar...

BTW, Keith's "clanging" on this song is really fun to listen to...

BUT, IMO alot of the transition work on Sway falls to the drums... Charlie can really make or break this song.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home