Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Let's Spend The Night Together - The Movie
Posted by: deuce ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:42

What does everyone think of this movie? I just got a copy of it on DVD. I have never seen any footage from the '81 tour but I have heard many boots and I love it. I have yet to watch it, but I thought I'd just ask what some people's opinions are on it.

Gonna go pop it in the player in a few minutes...

Re: Let's Spend The Night Together - The Movie
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:44

I saw it at the 7:00 and 9:30 showing the first day it came out. People were screaming for the theatre to turn the sound up. I really enjoyed it. Picks up steam during Beast of Burden.

Date: January 20, 2006 04:49

What shows were the songs filmed at?

Date: January 20, 2006 04:51

Tempe, Arizona for the outdoor show and the Brendan Byrne (sorry about the spelling) arena for the indoor portion. (New Jersey)

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:55

Arizona and a New Jersey show were in the flick. When Mick tells the women in HTW that he's taking them to KC with him, me and my friend Vince let out a scream at theater in KC that we were at as I saw the 12-14 (MT SHOW) and he saw the 15th in KC. A great memory indeed!

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 20, 2006 05:03

Saw it & sorry but I think 1981 was thier worst tour. DUD.

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: January 20, 2006 07:46

That tour was so-so, start of the big arena/colloseum stuff, over the top staging, Mick running around too much wearing knee pads and all. . . . .

I seem to remember he was cool on beast of burden. . .and maybe waiting on a friend - that sort of thing. I'll need to pop that tape back in and study. From what we're hearing in recent tours - so much better and mixing it up and more refined. . . .and tighter.

ain't I rich enough?

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: January 20, 2006 07:53

Great Movie !
especially the movie ,which was shown during Time is on ...,
IMO their best tour ever. I love the "phaser"guitar sound and their speed.
Great setlist. Nothing to complain.Furthermore the daylight "mood" is incredible.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 20, 2006 09:43

Everyone has different opinions. I never liked the daytime shows -- something about blues and sunshine don't mix. . . But, if you're a Stones fan, you have to own it. Then wait for the day they remaster Ladies & Gentlemen (with bonus footage of course!)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 20, 2006 11:13

i've only seen the European version of the movie, but it bugs me totally that the director "edited" the numbers.
the Hampton 81 concert is a lot more fun to watch, for about 38 reasons. :E

Date: January 20, 2006 11:35

Great movie, but the edits and tempo adjustment didn't work out so good. They look great and play great though.

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: January 20, 2006 11:36

the best version is the Japanese edition with no doubt
great picture and stereo sound. This one plays at the right speed

Date: January 20, 2006 12:10

I think that's the one I have...

Posted by: Infamy ()
Date: January 20, 2006 12:24

I went to see the movie in a theatre when it was new. I thaught it was amazing, and I still do!

Ray
15 and counting. No stopping. Stockholm next.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 20, 2006 12:38

I rather see my Houston 81 video tape,much more real,I only like parts of this film,to much flim-flam and montage and much to much monkey b....the worst film...that said I love the opening(under my thumb),BOB,and Let me go is fun to see...its worth your money,cause that opening with the crowd ,moving to the stage,Jagger jumping,Ilove that part,so there you go.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 20, 2006 12:48

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone has different opinions. I never liked
> the daytime shows -- something about blues and
> sunshine don't mix. . . But, if you're a Stones
> fan, you have to own it. Then wait for the day
> they remaster Ladies & Gentlemen (with bonus
> footage of course!)

Daytime and blues, I agree, but I like that daylight too. Difficult.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 20, 2006 12:58

No, I don't think the movie is that good. And what is Mick wearing? Really!!!

The highlists musically:

Under My Thumb
She's So Cold
Neighbours
Just My Imagination
Beast Of Burden
Going To A Go Go

but i don't care much for the rest....

Probobly their worst tour...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:54

Actually two things mess it up for me: Micks clothes - they really, really @#$%& things up. And Keiths midagerocker moves on stage. It was cool then maybe but now Ive seen him do those kicks and arms too many times. OK, he is cool and maybe its just the coldness between the Glimmers that is the worst thing really. Love it anyway. The Stones were the Stones.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:55

In the film, check out the ending to Start Me Up. They do the big finale ... but Charlie keeps playing!!! Bill Wyman and Ronnie Wood immediately see what's going on and jump back in so that the music doesn't suffer - Keith then chimes in as well.

All the while you can see Ronnie looking at everyone and laughing hysterically, as if to say: 'Like the song says:'If you start me up, I'll never stop!''

They do 4 more bars and end it properly, Ronnie still laughing, Keith grinning too. A great moment in rock n' roll history, captured for all time.

Posted by: Berlin ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:11

In Europe the title of the film was Rocks Off and included a great version of When the Whip Comes Down. It was dropped on the later versions. I always miss this one!

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:42

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i've only seen the European version of the movie,
> but it bugs me totally that the director "edited"
> the numbers.
> the Hampton 81 concert is a lot more fun to watch,
> for about 38 reasons. :E

You're so right; they wanted to include all songs at any price,
would have been much better if they skipped songs and kept
the rest unedited.
Especially the second half is terrible, you almost hear the 'cuts' JJF for example

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:47

Keith-lookin, playing great. So is Ronnie. But thereĀ“s no dynamics. Like the Ramones. 1234-"next".
Cheers

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 20, 2006 16:03

Great memories of when it came out.
I saw it in a theatre in East Lansing MI with some buddies that I had to drag along. There were about 20 people in the audience and we all rocked!
The 40 oz beers that we snuck in helped. I will never forget the look on my friend's face when he dropped his and it fizzed and sprayed all over the floor. The manager kid came up and they just looked at each other, not knowing what the hell to do. Deer in the headlights. I could not stop laughing.

Only a few things in life conjure up consistently great memories. The Stones are definitely one of them!

That movie is like a time capsule to me.

Date: January 20, 2006 18:30

Well, I've watched about half of it now. Turned it off right before 'Waiting On Friend'. Gonna watch the rest tonight. It's great to finally see a visual of the '81 tour. Although, yeah some of the cuts are noticable. Being familiar with the tour, the fact that the Stones are - like Bjorn said - playing like the Ramones isn't a shock to me. Like I said, I dig the tour because they just sound so raw and sloppy but somehow it sounds great. It's all subjective though I guess because some people worship the '81 tour and some despise it. I love seeing the Stones as much as I can so this is a treat for me either way.

Sounds like I gotta get my hands on a copy of the Hampton '81 DVD though. Anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-20 18:31 by deuce.

Date: January 20, 2006 18:32

I really thought the guitar sounds from this movie was so lackluster. Muddy and unclear.....compare the guitars to Gimme Shelter.....doesn't it sound like the same band.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2006 18:34

Deuce, beware of Ronnie's solo on YCAGWYW. It's from Nov. 6th, the so-called "sloppy" NJ-show. But it is a real killer, this song! And it's very irritating that it has been edited that much, it would be much better in full lenght. Little T & A is as good as it gets too, which means awesome!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 20, 2006 18:46

My dvd has horrible sound. Is there a quality one out there??

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 20, 2006 20:25

>> Sounds like I gotta get my hands on a copy of the Hampton '81 DVD though. <<

right: you absolutely have to! everybody in the whole wide world needs that one.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 20, 2006 20:51

My mom took me to see in the theatre when I was 9 years old. It was an incredible experience. It was what moved the Stones ahead of the pack of other bands I was listening to at the time (Journey, SKynyrd, assorted classic rock records an uncle left in my room when he went into the navy). I was immedietly hooked as a Stones fan for life. I didn't have every album and song memorized so I didn't realize the song edits til I rented and copied it around 1987.

Date: January 21, 2006 07:03

'81 rocked

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home