Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chesterfield Kings, anyone?
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 20, 2006 03:00

For anyone who loves Stones-like music (like WE ALL DO), look up the C. Kings cd "Let's Go Get Stoned"! It sounds as close to the 60's- 70's as anything I've ever heard but it's mostly original songs. They do do a cover of Street Fighting Man and Can't Believe It (or Get Yourself Together from the Black Box) my absolute favorite un released song! Their cd cover is a copy of AFTERMATH. On the MIRROR records label. You will really love it, trust me!

Re: Chesterfield Kings, anyone?
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 20, 2006 03:34

met one of the Chesterfield Kings in the House of Geetars (he worked there, blonde Brian Jones haircut...don't know his name), one of the most insane music stores in the world...it's like a guitar museum in there....high-priced vintage gear, but fun to look around if you're ever in Rochester, NY.....like their version of Street Fighting Man (sounds totally authentic) but that's all i've heard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-20 03:37 by Leonard Keringer.

Date: January 20, 2006 03:48

His name is Andy Babiuk, very cool that you met him. I have all theier cds,lps'and singles. An absolutely great garage, punk, blues-rock band! Obviously, I highly endorse them!

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 20, 2006 03:54

From Detroit, right? I saw them last year with the Romantics. I was a bit underwhelmed but they had the did have the R&R "look."

Date: January 20, 2006 03:58

Rochester NY, sorry if they underwhelmed you. Their cds are great but I've never seen them live.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 20, 2006 04:08

Great band.My old band recorded Got Yourself Together right around the same time and I thought we were really clever.Found out not long after we released it that they had just cut it and a superior version I might add.They were leaving the hotel we were arriving at(same promoter)in Madrid '94 and I was really impressed by the fact that Greg Prevost(lead singer)was dressed exactly as he would have had he been on stage(full on glam)and it was 10 am.And,yeah,Let's Go Get Stoned is an awesome album-some really good originals like the epic I'm so Confused(kind of Satanic Majesties meets Let it Bleed).Also worth checking out,though hard to find, is the live quasi-bootleg from that tour released under the name Paisley Zipper Band-Long Ago,Far Away on Imposible Records(promoters of that tour,also a Spanish record label and yes they spell it with just one s).They do Midnight Rambler and Jumping Jack Flash really well on this album and refer to it as their YA-yas period.It's funny,most of the garage rock purists hated that that they went in this direction but personally I thought it was their best work along with the album previous to Stoned,Berlin Wall of Sound.I'm starting to ramble here........

Date: January 20, 2006 04:18

andrewn, glad to hearb that I'm not the ONLY person to have the PaisleyZipper Band lp! If you saw them live, then I'm envious! They don't seem to want to come and play with us midwest hoosiers!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 20, 2006 05:09

Andy Babiuk is the author of the wonderful book The Beatles Gear,
which is about...the Beatles gear (guitars, amps, drums, etc...).
Rumor has it he's doing the same regarding the Stones gear.
The C Kings have a good version of Worried Life Blues, too.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 20, 2006 05:26

good album - been in my rotation many a year

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 20, 2006 07:28

Hey DrPete, Yeah,I saw them live but only cause I happened to be in Berlin(1988)when they were playing a festival there.They've never come anywhere near my neck of the woods(Victoria/Vancouver, Canada).Greg Prevost has a cool website for his fanzine Outasite and I actually emailed him about a month ago to ask about that very thing ie touring out here.No response so far but I noticed the website hadn't been updated in a long time.I think they're getting along a bit so probably don't tour much any more-too bad.Oh, and yeah,the Paisley Zipper Band lp is cool.The promoters did score me a good Let's Go Get Stoned tour shirt which pays homage to that great Stones shot where they're holding album covers over there pant-less torsos.

Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: January 23, 2006 06:05

I live across the street from the House of Guitars, where two of the Kings, Andy and Greg, still work. They are both fantastic guys. Andy is currently working on a Stones Gear book, although rumor has it the book will focus on the time period from Beggars to Exile or so. Let's Go Get Stoned is a great album. They were at the Hard Rock in Times Square on New Year's Eve and were broadcast with the New York Dolls on ESPN2 (another of Little Steven's weird publicity attempts for garage music). They have been touring and did a US tour in 2004 as the opening act for the Cramps, went to Irving in NYC to see them and they were just great. They are actually more active now than they have been in years (thanks in part to Little Steven, who put them on the save CBGB lineup as well as some other shows), so keep looking for them in your area. Not only do they play a killer Midnight Rambler, they also do Love In Vain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home