Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question re: YaYa's
Posted by: dj ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:27

I was listening to GYYYO today. Who plays the lead on SFTD? I know that there are overdubs, but this is smoking!

Re: Question re: YaYa's
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:31

First: Keith
Second: Mick T

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:32

Keith takes the first solo, Mick T the second.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:41

1-KR
2-MT

PAINT IT BLACK YOU DEVIL!!!!!!

Date: January 7, 2006 23:42

Thank you Thommie and with sssoul. Actually I was referring to the second solo - I should have been more specific. Isn't it weird that they rearranged this song for the 69 tour (so soon after it was released) and then reverted back to the studio version for subsequent tours?

Date: January 7, 2006 23:48

... what do you mean by "revert to the studio version"?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:50

A little too early but anyway... Gotta go hit the floor!

Appy Berfday Withsssoul!!!!! grinning smiley

Date: January 7, 2006 23:52

LoFL - thank you Baboon Bro!
you noticed - i'm touched!
happy Elvis's & Bowie's birthday to you too. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 7, 2006 23:56

beginning in '89 EVERY song has "reverted" back to studio form/arragement.

Date: January 8, 2006 00:02

sure - SFTD in particular. lemme give the 75 version a listen, then the 89/90 version, the Voodoo version, the Licks version, the 05 version ...
[scratchin head]: *which* one is just like the studio version? i forget. :E

- Keith

Date: January 8, 2006 00:04

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... what do you mean by "revert to the studio
> version"?
>
The 69 (YaYa) versions is driven by the rhythm guitar and the lead vocal is more melodic. Subsequent live versions are more similar to the studio version. I was just pointing out that they rearranged it so soon after it's release, only to re-rearrange it after that.

Date: January 8, 2006 00:31

don't mean to make you defensive or anything, Dj - i'm always interested in the way numbers evolve on stage.
they played SFTD in 70 too, of course, but the next official concert recording is from 75 -
that one sounds to you like the studio arrangement? interesting.

someone around here recently noted that the YaYas arrangement with the trade-off of the solos was only played a couple of times on the 69 tour.
smile: at the Baltimore 69 gig Mick threw in a line from Hey Jude just to see if anyone was paying attention -
that was indeed a distinct departure from the studio version. :E

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-08 00:35 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Berlin ()
Date: January 8, 2006 00:54

That`s the way they could play it on stage in 1969 as a 5 piece band. The Beatles didn`t play live anymore, cause they couldn`t play their studioversions on stage, cause the technique was far away from what it is today. The Stones always stripped down their studioversions to a live-version: sometimes these versions are better and sometines not. But this makes it interesting. So since 1989 they try to copy their studioversions on stage. The technique makes it possible, but its a little bit boring sometimes..

Date: January 8, 2006 01:32

Point taken, with sssoul. Just listened to the 75 version and it's more like the 69 version than the studio version. My collection from the 78 & 81 tours doesn't have any SFTD. Starting with the SW tour, the song starts w/ the faux bongo and piano riffs, which is more like the version on Beggars. For what it's worth, my fave of all of these is the YaYas version.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: January 8, 2006 03:24

that Baltimore 69 sympathy has some killer licks ,& isn't love in vain on Ya Yas from that Baltimore show ,here's some pics 4 the photo shoot 4 the album cover ,on the Gimmie Shelter dvd charlie looks like he was freezin his ass off at that shoot, but it made 4 a great album cover

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2006 03:26

i wonder you had the brilliant idea to put the jewewls and binoculars on the mule, a la Vision of Johanna....

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 8, 2006 04:02

Someone else noticed the same very thing recently on another Stones room on the Net.
I am not where I can listen to the Baltimore 69 show. What is the line of the Beatles song that Jagger throws into SFTD?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: January 8, 2006 04:45

had 2 check that out , i like that taylor solo from that version ,its right @ the end of the song when jagger is sayin thank u ,he also does the Hey Jude na na na , na na na na , bit , with sssoul sure knows her stones boots,here's the boot cover

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 8, 2006 04:53

I tell you one thing here: in that second photo, the colored one, those two boys sure are handsome. they should be stars...

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 8, 2006 07:25

Rearrangement: it's true you couldn't say they've ever tried to reproduce the studio cut onstage, but where I agree with the original poster is that the opening rhythm guitar riffs of '69-70 never reappeared. Would like to see them try it that way again. It's harder to screw up and sounds great. Then again, it was taylor's part, wasn't it.

Overdubs: been a while since I studied that site "Revelations on the Rolling Stones," but I believe it concluded that those solos are _not_ overdubbed. There are cuts in the song, though.

Re: Question re: YaYas
Date: January 8, 2006 12:09

>> My collection from the 78 & 81 tours doesn't have any SFTD <<

right - i believe the history (so far) of SFTD in concert goes like this: 68, 69, 70, 75, 76, 89, 90, 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 02, 03, 05.
now i feel like spending a while comparing SFTDs, but off the top of my head i remember the 68 rendition as closest to the studio version,
but i'm very likely wrong - comparing concert renditions with studio versions isn't really something my own personal mind naturally leans toward.
(someone recently asked why JJF isn't played in concert the way it is in the studio, and my main reaction was just: "because the stage is totally different from the studio."
which sure is true, not to mention the personnel changes and other developments over 37 years - but still, i'm sure there are more insightful things to say about it.)

- Keith

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 8, 2006 12:09

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy biiiiirthday, happy birthday to ya!

Re: Question re: YaYas
Date: January 8, 2006 12:12

thanks my dear - and to Elvis and Bowie as well!
have some popcorn - have some confetti - have some raisin toast. :E

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: January 8, 2006 12:43

Happy birthday 'with ssoul'

The link to [www.rollingstonesnet.com] was very interesting. Thanks CC

Date: January 8, 2006 20:24

When was it played in '68? Rock 'n' Roll Circus?

The key difference of the Ya Yas version is the strummed opening chords, where all the other versions I can think of open with something like the percussion and grunting on the studio track. Omitting that stuff gives you a more rough-and-ready rock tune, for better or worse, or just different, but certainly easier to orchestrate.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 8, 2006 20:31

The same goes for Stray Cat Blues on Ya Ya's. Compared to the studio version the Ya Ya's version is a real killer!

Date: January 8, 2006 22:01

No, not really the same.

Both versions of "Stray Cat Blues" have guitar intros, basic rock stuff (though of high caliber!). "Sympathy" in the studio opened with a very unusual percussion ensemble, some dramatic and bizarre grunting, then an almost pop-operatic piano and vocal duet. On Ya Yas, it's reworked to fit a basic rock band. As the number of players onstage and general level of orchestration grew in later tours, it's understandable that they would, when essaying "Sympathy," try to re-introduce (ha!) some of the original arrangement. But possibly not for the best... still, the one improvement I could have imagined to the roseland show I attended would have been hearing this tune.

Date: January 9, 2006 00:12

<was listening to GYYYO today. Who plays the lead on SFTD? I know that there are overdubs, but this is smoking!>

There are no guitar overdubs on Ya-Ya´s at all. Only vocal overdubs.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 9, 2006 03:18

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> beginning in '89 EVERY song has "reverted" back to
> studio form/arragement.

I'd like them to do this with Jumpin Jack Flash. I much prefer the intro on the studio version

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 9, 2006 12:18

Keiths rhythm part on Ya-Ya's Sympathy is arguably his best ever. The way he shapes and moulds the song and 'manages' the time - pure genius.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home