Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some Girls on vinyl
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: January 5, 2006 09:37

I am listening to Some Girls on vinyl and I am in heaven. I have every Stones album on vinyl after 1971 and I have to say that listening to Some Girls on vinly is the best experience I have had with a Stones lp. If you don't have this on vinyl then you are really missing out. IMO this is by far the most awesome Stones listening experience. THE ALBUM SOUNDS 500 TIMES BETTER THAN THE THIN SOUNDING CD. Do yourselves a favor and lisen to Some Girls on vinyl. IT IS SO DAMN COOL. Mick's vocals are so clear and the guitars are perfectly balanced around his voice and the bass and drums are so warm. I am loving this.

Re: Some Girls on vinyl
Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: January 5, 2006 10:04

Gonna get a new system - with incrediable turntable & sound - Some Girls should sound good in vinyl...a great Stones record anyway.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: January 5, 2006 10:16

Not wishing to plug this - but the new Rarities LP is out on vynyl too, wonder how that sounds?

I have every Stones LP up to Tattoo you on 8 track cartridge - even they have a warmer sound than the equivalent cd's.
My biggest disappointment was getting Exile on Cd when it first came out in the mid 80's. The sound quality is so poor, Sweet Virginia actually fades in volume half way through the track. Charlie sounds like he's playing on biscuit tins and the guitars are really thin - I should have taken it back.
I pity more, the people who are downloading albums from the official sites, boy, are they getting ripped off.

Date: January 5, 2006 10:21

turd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not wishing to plug this - but the new Rarities LP
> is out on vynyl too, wonder how that sounds?
>
> I have every Stones LP up to Tattoo you on 8 track
> cartridge - even they have a warmer sound than the
> equivalent cd's.
> My biggest disappointment was getting Exile on Cd
> when it first came out in the mid 80's. The sound
> quality is so poor, Sweet Virginia actually fades
> in volume half way through the track. Charlie
> sounds like he's playing on biscuit tins and the
> guitars are really thin - I should have taken it
> back.
> I pity more, the people who are downloading albums
> from the official sites, boy, are they getting
> ripped off.

Turd, any chance for a trade - I'm still looking for a clean copy of the 8 track cartridge of Some Girls. ([email protected])

Thanks
silk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-05 10:22 by silkcut1978 aka smith.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: January 5, 2006 11:53

Sorry Silk - I only have the one copy of Some Girls on 8 track and it's by no means a good, clean copy. They come up on ebay from time to time, more so in the USA than UK. If I see one, I'll let ye know....
I wouldn't recommend collecting 8 tracks, they are fiddly things. Invariably the sponge pressure pads have disintagrated with time, the foil splice has become unstuck, the tape is jammed etc. It's something to do on those long winter nights, but I can think of better things to do.

Date: January 5, 2006 12:19

Thanks turd - my problem over here is that it's nearly impossible to get a good player for it. Shipping from the US is often more expensive than the player/recorder and that's why I never bought one myself. But I still have a few 8-tracks (Stone Age - funny enough as it wasn't even an US-LP, Got Live, Flowers and GHS and maybe a few others) and as you wrote, mine look really bad too - no idea how they might sound...

But you're right, it's probably a good idea to look for one or even more copies of Some Girls on Ebay - maybe I'm able one day to transfer it on my PC as I would really love to have this incredible Beast Of Burden-demo as good as it can be - not to forget the other versions of Miss You and Shattered (think that's it, isn't it?)

Cheers
silk

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: January 6, 2006 06:07

I hear ya. I just scored a pristine copy of the some girls LP a couple of weeks ago and CRANKED it on my top of the line stereo. The CD can't come close!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2006 06:13

silkcut1978 aka smith...buy yaself a SOTA built like a tank and sound incredible.

[www.sotaturntables.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 6, 2006 07:21

At the time I bought Some girls,directly when it came out,still have the''mother''intact''There was a lot of buzz about the cover,,after a few months this album had a different cover!!!was it Lucille???

Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: January 6, 2006 07:36

I remember back in the early 80s getting both some girls and sticky fingers original master recordings LPs at a mall. They do sound different than the CDs and are great.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 6, 2006 09:30

I read in an audio magazine that the best sounding vinyl edition of Some Girls is a Dutch pressing on orange vinyl. I found one on eBay and sure enough, it sounds great. I'd recommend it over a been-through-the-washer US or UK copy.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 6, 2006 09:35

I have a blue vinyl of;;Black and blue.

Date: January 8, 2006 02:21

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> silkcut1978 aka smith...buy yaself a SOTA built
> like a tank and sound incredible.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ROCKMAN

I don't have a SOTA but mine is well enough (with a pretty good moving-coil system) BUT the 8-track of Some Girls holds a fascinating demo-version of Beast Of Burden and that's the reason I'm still looking for a clean and good copy. I think there's also an edited version of Miss You and a clearly different take of Shattered on it, but I may be wrong. Porky once released this on a CDr but I would like to have a better transfer. Apart from this - VINYL RULES !!

Cheers
silk

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 8, 2006 03:31

I agree re SG the best pressings are the Dutch & UK - US is bleh, but my fave Exile is the original US pressing. Check out the site musicangle.com - Michael Fremer edits it, & it should have a very worthy guide to Stones vinyl he wrote for his Tracking Angle magazine around 10 years ago, in the archives section. Also much other great stuff, new vinyl reviews etc.

Date: January 8, 2006 07:27

Yeah, it's Fremer's article I read. Exile was the only LP for which he recommended the US release.

At that point it gets hard to determine which pressing would have been from the masters, b/c the band is no longer based in the UK.

For the other early-mid 70s, he generally recommends the EMI-Toshiba Japanese pressings. Pre-Sticky Fingers, UK Deccas are the way to go.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-08 07:37 by cc.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 8, 2006 21:02

Hey cc, glad to meet someone else who knows about Tracking Angle & the musicangle.com site - what makes Fremer a 'good' audiophile is the music comes first, so you don't have some idiot drooling over Supertramp or Earl Klugh records, or gold discs of Toto. Plus he used to DJ for WBCN Boston in the 70s, where he intro'd me to the NY Dolls and other cool stuff on his late night show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 8, 2006 23:20

Yeah Japanese pressings are incredible...I've picked 'em up over the years.. have 3 Japanese pressings of Exile....also scored early test pressings of Sticky Fingers and Some Girls on Mobile Fidelty, Sticky sounds great and yeah UK Deccas rule..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 8, 2006 23:26

Vinyl just sounds better for rock n roll , hey its not Mozart, im listening to Wire "Pink Flag" on vinyl this very minute AWESOME!

Date: January 9, 2006 04:46

If you like vinyl, check out Fremer's writing. I'm not a huge audiophile (esp these days -- no dough!) but like john r says, this guy keeps it in perspective; he seems to give good advice. He actually points out which Jap. pressings are better and which not worth it. After a while I felt a bit like a chump, just accepting all his recommendations, but hey, he's heard all the different versions, and he's got a much better stereo than me!

Wire - Pink Flag -- one of the top items on my vinyl wishlist! Plenty of later copies around, but I'd like to find an original Harvest. Someone always outbid me on eBay.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: January 9, 2006 05:22

Can honestly say I've disliked CD sound since the first one I ever heard.
I think cassette tapes even sound better. We've [well, I have anyway] taken the bait of the convenience of CDs over other mediums.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home