Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitars Miss You - 1978?
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 3, 2006 15:43

Yesterday, on my way back home from the office, in a semi-empty milano (xmas holydays), after a terrible day at work, I played this disc I picked up from the bunch of stuff I download and never have the time to listen to. The disc happened to be an amazing soundboard recording of the concert at the Will Rogers Center, Fort Worth, Texas, July 18, 1978.

Great performance (those 78 gigs were true killers) but I had to cry for the miracle when it was the turn of Miss You!!! Nothing less than perfect. Note how both Ron and Keith, even when they are playing the hell one on top of the other, even with guitars that must have been at Led Zep volume levels, NEVER cover that amazing bass line and drum groove: bill&charlie are always there, way up the front. WHAT A BAND!!!

Unfortunately the disc is not here with me now and I can't share it.

Anyway, for those who were there (Chelsea?), what guitars were K & R using on this one?

C

Re: Guitars Miss You - 1978?
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 3, 2006 16:43

I was not there (because i'm only 26 years old) but i think Keith played on a telecaster. I'm not sure what Ronnie played.

It is my favorite Miss You version. You can find it on Handsome girls disc one. The whole Fort Worth concert is awesome!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: veronus ()
Date: January 3, 2006 17:21

Hear the weaving guitars on miss you on the bootleg GARDEN STATE that,s great!

Date: January 3, 2006 18:49

Wuudy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was not there (because i'm only 26 years old)
> but i think Keith played on a telecaster. I'm not
> sure what Ronnie played.

If it is the tele, it has to be the custom (or some other HB guitar): it sounds biiiiiig. Wood I don't know. It is not a strat (think so) and sounds "softer" than the zemaitis (but truly I am guessing here!).

> It is my favorite Miss You version. You can find
> it on Handsome girls disc one. The whole Fort
> Worth concert is awesome!!!!

So, at last I HAVE some of the great Handsom Girls boot!!!

Thank you

C

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 4, 2006 03:51

Wood played pretty much all of the Some Girls songs on the '78 tour on his silver Zemaitis, except Far Away Eyes, of course.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 4, 2006 04:32

I seem to recall Keith playing 6string and standard tuning on Miss You. Which guitar would that eb then? I want to say one of the Juniors but somehow MY rings of Fenders. Who would p[lay that counter melody on guitar during the bridge "Oh baby why you waitin so long?" Ron or Keith?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 4, 2006 10:12

<Who would p[lay that counter melody on guitar during the bridge "Oh baby why you waitin so long?" Ron or Keith?>

In 1978, Ron and Keith teamed up for a two-stringed melodic theme for that part. Why did they quit it? The effect is similiar in When The WHip Comes Down.

Date: January 4, 2006 13:07

tomk Wrote:
> Wood played pretty much all of the Some Girls
> songs on the '78 tour on his silver Zemaitis,
> except Far Away Eyes, of course.
>

OK, further questions then!

Did ron use the same guitar for slide and non slide then?

Did he play all the slide parts in standard tuning?

I always thought that all down the line was in open E!!!

Re: Keith - yes, it has to be standard tuning, and it does sound as if there is a little fender in it. What stadard tuning guitars was h eusing in 78? (should go and check all withssoul's guitar 3D!!!)

C

Date: January 4, 2006 14:01

yes liddas that is what I think too. But no guitar comes to mind. There are the black teles but were they not already 5 strung by then?
Ron played the Slide parts on the other Zemaitis, my fave guitar of his. It is the black one with the silver circle in the middle. That one seems to be his favorite slide guitar from the older days. Used it extensively with the Faces. One time I saw Ronnie with bernard on Howard Stern, right? And Howard gets him to play some guitar. They hand him a guitar that is in regular tuning. While Ronnie is conversing he is re-tuning the guitar into open. He is getting ready to play "Stay with me". And before he has even finished you can already hear the whole SWM riff coming at you. I start going" Oh but of course! Tuned like this it could only BE Stay with me!" LOL
Same with Keith's Stones riffs. Once one has figured out the wqhole 5 string, open G deal it all becomes so obvious. But those are only the famous shorter riffs. Keith has many many tricks up his sleeve. I will never be able to figure out what he plays. Keith can make a regular tuning sound like some arabic quartertone thing.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 4, 2006 14:17

i did check those guitar threads looking for an answer to this but haven't found one -
Keith was using that Newman-Jones-made Tele a lot in 78, of course;
he used the Zemaitis on Brown Sugar (at least sometimes);
and a single-cutaway LP Special on Beast of Burden. but Miss You? [scratchin head]

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-04 14:20 by with sssoul.

Date: January 4, 2006 16:13

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> yes liddas that is what I think too. But no guitar
> comes to mind. There are the black teles but were
> they not already 5 strung by then?

I don't think so. I am quite sure that during the Tattoo You tour the black telecustom was in standard tuning.

C

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 4, 2006 21:52

Keith used a Fender Strat for standard tuning, too. Check the well-known live DVD from that tour, and you'll see Keith plays Let It Rock (standard tuning) with a Strat.

About Ronnie's slide: have to check it on that DVD, but I think to recall Ronnie playing ADTL with the 3-pickup LP Custom, which is the same guitar he begins the gig and plays @#$%& with (>>>standard tuning)>>> So, if I'm not absolutely wrong (which can perfectly be the case! grinning smiley) , Woody did play slide on standard tuning too.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: January 5, 2006 03:54

As far as I can tell from photos, Ron used the following ont he 1978 tour:

-Gibson Firebird (for LIR, sometimes ADTL and, most of the time, SW 16).
I have a feeling he bought this guitar at Norman's Guitars
out here in the San Fernando Valley as there's a picture of him
on the wall with 2 Firebirds: One sunburst, the other red (!).

-black Les Paul (for ADTL, HTW, Star Star)
Funny because he's mentioned in interviews he's not a big fan of Les Pauls.
HAs he used this guitar since?

-the mirrored Zemaitis (for TD)

> the black Zemaitis (for LIV and HAppy)
Tuned to open-E (as it always is)

-the silver Zemaitis (for everything else)

-pedal steel (for FAE)

I don't think i've seen a photo of him from the '78 tour
with his sunburst Strat which was his main guitar duing '75 and '76.
I could be mistaken. I'm sure it was there for backup.

BTW (if anyone cares), when Dylan was on David Letterman back in 1984
right after Infidels came out, he was using Ronnie's sunburst Strat.

Date: January 5, 2006 07:28

>> the silver Zemaitis (for everything else) <<

for what it's worth, in the Miss You promo video, Ronnie's got a Zemaitis (it's kind of hard [for me anyway] to tell which one it is);
Keith's got the Newman-Jones-made tele. the photo's (obviously!) not from the video, but ...

- oakland, july 26th 1978, by Greg Myhra

Date: January 5, 2006 08:04

Re: the photo,

that's the silver Zematis and the Newman-Jones Tele.
They're playing either Shattered or Respectble.

Date: January 5, 2006 08:29

>> that's the silver Zematis and the Newman-Jones Tele. <<
smile: i know, that's why i posted it.
(sorry if i wasn't real clear in my previous post.)

Date: January 5, 2006 22:34

I wonder which song it is. Thing is either one (more likely Keith) could very well not be playing at all for a second and just muting the strings for a minute. Since it looks like they're singing pretty hard I would say "respectable" because the "shadoobee's" are not really belted out. Ron's left hand doesn't look like it fits "Shattered" but Keith could be doing it. What I found really intersting while watching the SNL footgae is the way Keith plays the Shattered" riff. Well, actually his way makes all the sens ein the world. For some reason when I stared playing it I play it all on the low E. To me it is easier than to play it down in 2nd and 4th fret incorporating the A string the way Keith does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home