Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Goats Head Soup - Their most underrated album
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 3, 2006 05:48

Dancing with Mr. D has the sexy dirty raw vocals that I like most about the Stones - that and Heartbreaker are two of my most favorite songs - I was so glad to hear Heartbreaker so much on the last tour- I just hope they pull it out a little more on this one...100 Years Ago is also amazing and Coming Down Again is one of Keith's best. I could live without Silver Train and Can you Hear the Music but they're not their worst tracks.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 3, 2006 06:02

Pales in comparison to Exile, but time has been kind to GHS. It sounds pretty good today. They should play Brown Sugar, Some Girls and Star Star at the Super Bowl.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: January 3, 2006 07:09

it's really a badass record. if u want to show your friends how 'badass' the stones are, play this one. Dancing with Mr. D is amazing. Heartbreaker, Hide Your Love, Star Star and Winter all are impressive too. And I don't even need to mention Angie. I named my dog after the song for goodness sake.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 3, 2006 08:30

Musically, "Goat's Head Soup" is great, but the album is underrated because the song lyrics are the worst of any Stones record.

The haunted-house "Dancing with Mr. D." lyrics are daft. The "Silver Train" lyrics are meandering and practically meaningless. Both of those songs could have been Top 40 hits if the lyrics were better.

Like others, I like the wistfulness of "Winter," but you have to admit that the lyrics fall short ("and the restoration plays have all gone round" -- huh?).

I think Jagger was smoking to much green bud in that period.

Date: January 3, 2006 10:54

I think Black And Blue is more underrated - and a better album. But of course I love GHS with 100 Years Ago, Coming Down Again, Angie, Hide Your Love and Star Star. There is something about this album though, that doesn't add up for me - production, mood and the collection of songs - too dark, too lazy maybe?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 3, 2006 16:43

One of their best.Recorded in Jamaica of course.The title is a culinary classic out there.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: January 3, 2006 18:00

It's nowhere near their most underrated.

Star "Star" is probably the most derivative rocker they ever put out. I am allergic to songs that repeat one word in the chorus over and over ad nauseum.

I never have and never will understand the snooze that is Coming Down Again.

Mr. D is ridiculous.

Hide Your Love is okay.

Winter, while nice, is one of those once-in-a-blue-moon do I actually want to listen to it...

Can you hear the music is imo actually more decent than any of the above, but 4 times as trashed.

Heartbreaker, Angie, Silver Train and 100 Years ago are LOVELY songs, but that's too few to qualitfy for Most Underrated Album Ever.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: January 3, 2006 18:07

Compared to Exile, GHS is a masterpiece of production. No stupid back-up singers, annoying horns, and yes, one can hear Mick Jagger in the mix! MT is also a lot more prominent in GHS than he was in Exile, which is a good thing. It's not a bad album, but there is something missing. Perhaps there is too much Billy Preston, I don't know. Anyway, I would certainly not consider it underrated, particularly in Stones boards. GHS recieves, for instance, a hell of a lot more attention than most albums from the 60's (ie. Aftermath, BTB, Out of our Heads, etc.) . . .

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: January 3, 2006 18:29

neptune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Compared to Exile, GHS is a masterpiece of
> production. No stupid back-up singers, annoying
> horns,

Rocks Off and Happy wouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are without the horns.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: January 3, 2006 18:43

I recently stumbled on a brief item published in Rolling Stone in 1973, shortly before Goats Head Soup was released. The published track listing included "Through the Lonely Hours" (which should have been called "Through the Lonely Nights" and did not surface until the following year, as the B-side of "It's Only Rock 'n Roll") and "Criss Cross Man." Omitted from the listing were "Coming Down Again" and "Winter." It's hard to think of Goats without those two cuts.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home