Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: The mighty "ABB" - no other Stones Album comes close to it
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 7, 2010 03:58

Here was a topic that raised some eyebrows. It's been almost 5 years has anyone changed their opinion that posted on this?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 7, 2010 04:13

I still say it's one of the best!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 7, 2010 05:16

More Hot Rocks
I still say it's one of the best!!

it's one of the best...of their three worst

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 7, 2010 05:31

where's ChelseaDrugstore gone?

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: December 7, 2010 05:39

amazing album, the best record the stones have ever made, no other album has EVERY song that is likable, the other records have some duds, but ABB is amazing, start to finish!

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 7, 2010 06:07

MICK_JAGGER
amazing album, the best record the stones have ever made, no other album has EVERY song that is likable, the other records have some duds, but ABB is amazing, start to finish!

I told you the Stones were listening in! Now do you believe me?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 7, 2010 06:24

I also prefer the last studio Monkees albums (before any reunions) - after Peter Tork, then Mike Nesmith left. Yep, just Mickey and Davy. Fantastic.

Seriously, ABB? I will say one thing about it. There were lots of songs!

Date: December 7, 2010 06:45

71Tele
There were lots of songs!

i noticed that too! and they all had words and notes and other cool stuff, too!

Date: December 7, 2010 06:51

StonesTod
71Tele

Yes, they did! And titles even...

Date: December 7, 2010 06:55

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

very exile-ish in that way, i thought....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 7, 2010 06:56

...I guess the good news is that whoever loved ABB will get more of it since Mick's doing most of the writing.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 7, 2010 08:18

i actually like the album a lot due to several songs, but i am very puzzled at how much some seem to like the songs that i think are so incredibly bad. for example, Rain Fall Down and Dangerous Beauty are non-listen-able (as is Look What the Cat..), yet so many speak like they are incredible songs. NO! They are really bad songs, up there with the Stones worst tracks. Horrible writing, horrible lyrics, etc. Good thing there is Rough Justice, Let Me Down, Laugh, Infamy, & Back of My Hand to offset these tracks.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 7, 2010 10:22

Roadster32
Sorry 'bout the title - seems like we had something simelar

but

the more i listen to it the more i'm convinced that this is the one they ever did.

Alcohol's a helluva drug, isn't it?

Date: December 7, 2010 12:15

71Tele

...And the Stones didn't do'em justice by not playing them on the following tour; not allowing them to fully 'grow' on stage, like every Stonessong does (& should do...).
A lot of songs on ABB would lead shining, brilliant lives now if they'd had had the chance to see the light of day back then...
...Still: it's not (never) too late, I guess.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 7, 2010 15:05

abb is sure standing the test of time huh .maybe it will win a posthumous grammy award.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 7, 2010 15:38

My mind haven't changed about it. I think the best of the tracks stands the test of time. It won't take long, Rain fall down, Oh no not you again and Laugh I nearly died are my four favorites, but I also like Rough justice, Let me down slow, Biggest mistake, Sweet Neo-Con, Driving too fast and Infamy (the best Keef-delievery since Before they make me run).
I think the stones could make a fabulous compilation from VL, BTB ans ABB:
From Voodoo: Love is strong,Moon is up, Out of tears, Brand new car.
From Bridges: Anybody seen my baby?, Already over me, Out of control, Saint of me, Always sufferering, Too tight (with no use of the tiny todger-angle...)

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 7, 2010 16:32

Its a Stones album so you will alway get songs that are really great...
ABB ranks up there when you play what was released by everyone else at the time.

Sadly the album just doesn't hold up for me like the truely great Stones albums. I really think its because Keith really didn't do much on the album.
Mick is all about flash and when you look deeper there is nothing there...Brian Jones, Keith, Woodie and Mick Taylor added to Jaggers songs.
They help make the songs deeper and more interesting. Every time i play Ruby Tuesday i hear something new..
Play SWAY.....and you will see what i mean..

Please, the next Stones album please bring Keith back!!! ha...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 7, 2010 17:03

The Sicilian
Here was a topic that raised some eyebrows. It's been almost 5 years has anyone changed their opinion that posted on this?

Well, not much changes in Doxa's mind... but something still:

ABB is a far cry from that (even though the best since Voodoo Lounge)

I find that line interesting one - I have seemingly started to appreciate more BRIDGES TO BABYLON during these five years. Now I think BTB is the best of their modern era, but at that time I ranked both VL and ABB over it.

- Doxa

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 7, 2010 17:42

Doxa---I agree with you !00%..

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 7, 2010 18:17

I think the songs and the procuction (the sound) of BTB is more coherent than ABB, but I think the highlights on ABB equals the highlights on BTB. When I listen to the three albums now, I find VL the weakest. Good, but to my ears not with as strong highlights as BTB and ABB.

Date: December 7, 2010 18:42

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele

very exile-ish in that way, i thought....

Yes, but only in that way. That's where the similarity ends.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 7, 2010 18:52

GetYerAngie
I think the songs and the procuction (the sound) of BTB is more coherent than ABB, but I think the highlights on ABB equals the highlights on BTB. When I listen to the three albums now, I find VL the weakest. Good, but to my ears not with as strong highlights as BTB and ABB.

Well, I think the merits of both VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON is that they have still kind of "band feel" in them that A BIGGER BANG lacks. But what rates BTB over VL and ABB is the "authenticity" it has and VL and ABB has not. Songs like "Saint of Me" and "Out of Control" are almost modern "classics" (it doesn't ask much...), and Keith's songs particularly are among his best during the modern era. I personally think "Too Tight" - a hidden small gem - rocks harder and more naturally almost anything they have done since, say, DIRTY WORK (there is, behind all that 80's crap, an actual groove going here and there in that bashed album...). I have even started to appreciate "Flip The Switch", even though I don't like the tempo of it, which shows nakedly the limitations of their age...

I unfortunately can't find any highlights in ABB. I like most the naturally flowing "Biggest Mistake", but the rest sound so autopilot-like, idea-free and forced to my ears. Even "Laugh I Nearly Cried". Keith's songs are total 'listen once'-throwaways.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-07 18:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 7, 2010 18:57

ABB, was an atrocious album, weak songs, awful lyrics and largely a very forgettable musical episode. How anyone can even begin to compare it to Exile is mind boggling, they are so far apart in every way. Each to his own, but I even went back and listened to it again after reading through this thread and it still does nothing for me.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: December 7, 2010 19:01

Hm. i like ABB, it's very good.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: December 7, 2010 19:09

If ABB had been the debut disc of some cutesy band in their early 20s it would be critically acclaimed and would have made more money.

Date: December 7, 2010 19:12

crumbling_mice
ABB, was an atrocious album, weak songs, awful lyrics and largely a very forgettable musical episode. How anyone can even begin to compare it to Exile is mind boggling, they are so far apart in every way. Each to his own, but I even went back and listened to it again after reading through this thread and it still does nothing for me.

i gave it a rest for a few weeks and then again for a few months, thinking an hoping the break between listens would do it/me some good. not so. it got to the point on the last couple of tries, where i found most of the songs either unlistenable or downright ANNOYING. the lads have fallen mightily. it's likely i'll never tee this turd up again, putting it on the same list with SW and DW. bad things come in threes, apparently....life's too short to waste on bad music, when there's so much wonderful stuff out there just waiting to be discoverd and enjoyed....

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 7, 2010 19:39

Sure it is one of their best. The best nearly in 3 decades. It could have turn to a major one provided : a) drop 6 or 7 songs b) and a more involvement from Keith. But some pearls are in there.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: December 7, 2010 19:44

I saw the thread title and just thought "you taking the piss?"

Date: December 7, 2010 20:19

I love ABB. The best since Bridges To Babylon eye rolling smiley

But even if it's far far to be my favorit, they should have played it more on stage.
If they don't have the bollocks to do it, they'b better stop to record new ones, especially when they name the tour from the album title.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: December 8, 2010 18:47

This constant critiscism is such a nonsense. I'll tell you that when this album would have been released by a new band, it would have been a sensation and would have dominated the nr 1 positions for weeks or months all over the world. but because it is just from the Stones it is not good enough. I honestly fear that even if the Rolling Stones would today make their best album ever, it would be panned down and not recognised as such. Maybe it is the midlife crisis most Stones "fans" are suffering from and hence shouldn't be taken to serious.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home