Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ticket prices worldwide... an analysis
Date: December 28, 2005 17:19

I made an analysis in full detail of many venues worldwide. The weighted average based on prices breakdown and venue distribution put Monterrey as the most expensive venue and based on the audience capacity probably this gives the biggest gross or one of the biggest gross sales.

The highest weighted average prices are

1.- Monterrey, NL México
2.- Las Vegas, NV USA
3.- New York City, NY USA

Also because of the NAFTA (North America Free Trade Agreement) the expenses will be as high as other cities in he USA, so probably this gives one the most attractive venues so far in terms of net profit.

This is a comparative table and below a graphic, in all cases these are the bases for the analysis:

* I took the prices today from the ticketmaster (or equivalent) websites

* I made the currency conversions to dollars using the currency exchange rates for each country from the same source, in this case Yahoo Finance.

* In all cases the ticket price is the one at the website before all other charges (ticketbastard, S&H, etc)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-28 19:00 by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland.

Re: Ticket prices worldwide... an analysis
Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 28, 2005 18:05

Interesting. But do you really show the average price.

Date: December 28, 2005 18:57

It's not an average but a WEIGHTED AVERAGE which is more objective to make the comparison.

The formula used was

Weighted average = Sum((amount of tickets for each price) times (price for that section))/(Total mount of tickets for the venue)

If you see the venue map for Monterrey (from this website, IORR), the expensive prices are almost 85% of the venue capacity, this is why the weighted average for this venue gives the most expensive weighted average

Date: December 28, 2005 18:59

Also the venue is 38,000 (I think it's a little bit more than 40,000) while Las Vegas is 14,000

Posted by: jfmiii21 ()
Date: December 28, 2005 22:17

While the formula you gave would give the weighted-average, the graph does not show this. You have the ticket price on the Y-axis and the city on the X-axis. For this to show the WAC of a ticket in NYC, LA, Monterrey, etc., there should be a single price for each city on the graph. Also, you state that the most expensive tickets are 85% of the venue. Ok fine. But for NYC, if that is true, then the WAC should be $403.70, assuming that the highest bracket (454.50) is 85% and that the other three brackets each are 5% for a total of 15%--which all together equals 100%. Nowhere in the entry for NYC do you indicate that the WAC is $403.70. It is a very nice looking chart, but all it really shows are the different ticket prices for each city.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: December 28, 2005 22:33

========I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeping--- with your girlfriend =======

I like your tag-line, Voodoo Chile. Reminds me of what David Lee Roth used to say in concert in his glory days with Van Halen....

"Some @#$%& just threw a beer bottle at me.....Ahh, but thats all right...'cause after the show I'm gonna @#$%& your girlfriend!"

An oldie but goodie.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 28, 2005 22:41

What the f*** ?????

Take your MS Excel graphing habits elsewhere if you wouldn't mind; you'll give some normal people nightmares. What are you, a perv or something ?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 28, 2005 22:46

Interesting to see, Voodoo!
Would it be possible to include the actual weighted average as a figure somewhere - I cannot see it in the graph above? Don't get why Monterrey is so expensive, btw!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: December 29, 2005 02:16

jfmiii21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While the formula you gave would give the
> weighted-average, the graph does not show this.

The graph shows the REAL information, the one I got from ticketmaster's websites

> You have the ticket price on the Y-axis and the
> city on the X-axis. For this to show the WAC of a
> ticket in NYC, LA, Monterrey, etc., there should
> be a single price for each city on the graph.

To make the analysis in deep detail I need the seats distribution, I made the calculation based on the surface of each color

> Also, you state that the most expensive tickets
> are 85% of the venue. Ok fine.

The 85% is ONLY for Monterrey, just see the map and calculate the surface of the expensive prices (all but the last two are expensive)

> But for NYC, if
> that is true, then the WAC should be $403.70,
> assuming that the highest bracket (454.50) is 85%
> and that the other three brackets each are 5% for
> a total of 15%--which all together equals 100%.
> Nowhere in the entry for NYC do you indicate that
> the WAC is $403.70. It is a very nice looking
> chart, but all it really shows are the different
> ticket prices for each city.

For MSG the $454.5 tickets don't represent 85% of the seats, again I made the calculations based on seats distribution and prices breakdown. BTW, I have been at MSG several times not just on Stones shows since 1981 but many others, and can't say 85% is the $454.5 tix

Date: December 29, 2005 02:19

paulywaul Wrote:
> What the f*** ?????
>
> Take your MS Excel graphing habits elsewhere if
> you wouldn't mind; you'll give some normal people
> nightmares. What are you, a perv or something ?

LOL I see you don't like math or computers, sorry it was not my intention to give you a nightmare and no, I'm not a perverted or something, My intention was to show how unfair are the prices there

Date: December 29, 2005 02:22

Lorenz Wrote:
> Interesting to see, Voodoo!
> Would it be possible to include the actual
> weighted average as a figure somewhere - I cannot
> see it in the graph above? Don't get why Monterrey
> is so expensive, btw!
>
>
> Meet you 2006 in: Barcelona, Brno, Vienna,
> (Munich), (Amsterdam)

Hi Lorenz!

I didn't include the weighted average in the figures as I only made the calculations for three venues. I don't have the percentages for each price here but what I did was to compute the % surface. i.e. the surface of each color and divided by the total surface on the specific maps.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: December 29, 2005 02:44

And what does it say? Nothing! Do you have any idea what people in Czech earn a month and what a ticket costs? What about busines situation in Argentina? And so on.

At least more than slow ticket sales in Germany says it all! It makes me somewhat scary that you still can buy tickets for every section you like. Even FOS (just at this moment you can buy Cologne FOS) will be available every now and then. That's the the real statistic, i.e. life!

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 29, 2005 02:47

When there are fans like this, it's no wonder why the band travels with a lot of security.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 29, 2005 03:12

I thought that Tokyo pricing was interesting. Top price ($160) is "low", but I know from experience that the top price usually covers most of the stadium, and it holds over 45,000. I would be that overall, they do very well there. I would have preferred to see the US stadium shows priced more along these lines.

Posted by: thor ()
Date: December 29, 2005 04:03

in a "nutshell", prices seem to be VERY cheap in Europe and pretty expensive in the USA. It cost me $400 for each of the shows that I went to....even for the Licks Tour I think I paid $350 per show. In Europe they seem to be cpmplaining about $100 or $150 per ticket...guess the US economy and standard of living is just higher so they can command higher tix prices?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 29, 2005 04:06

I don't know about pricing in different markets but when I was looking for 2nd (& checking 3rd) level pricing for Boston shows 1/13 & 1/15, and last summer for Fenway & MSG, my curiosity led me to make numerous requests for tickets at the $400 (or 450$) level - checking where these seats would be, etc, & if they'd sold out yet - as well as the $160 tickets (which, as at other shows I attended, are the level I buy) and 3rd or 4th tier prices ($95 or whatever they were). A woman I know who works at Fenway told me the high price tickets for Fenway were a minority, and I may be wrong, but it seemed like those loge sections closest to the Fleet ctr stage had the $450 price, maybe a third of the entire loge? The small # of so called club seats were expensive, and the balcony seats all appeared lowest price (Never accessed tix near the stage, but further back the floor seats seemed second level priced with some $450s thrown in with no clear reason why - perhaps sightlines, etc, not on the chart. So my point is merely that it looked like far less than 85% of NY/Boston seats were top price. And as many agree high prices have negative consequences - fan resentment, harder sell, more moneyed audience) as well as positive ones for the band & its tour there have been quite a few, especially younger, people I've spoken to who simply assume a) the shows more or less sell out instantly, and b) most tickets are $450 or even much more, and this provides an unfortunate disincentive for younger as well as working class fans.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: December 29, 2005 04:09

in munich the highest price i 231 USD = 195 euro

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 29, 2005 05:04

Interesting.
$450.00!

One Big Mac costs me JPY 250 in Tokyo.
We can buy 72 Big Macs for one ticket (JPY 18000) for Tokyo Dome.
Bless ourself.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: December 29, 2005 06:59

Voodoo,

That's OK for one stat. A couple of better stats are just the simple conversion of foreign ticket prices to your local currency so you know what's coming out of your bank acct if you make the trip; 2nd is the conversion to the relative amount for the local schmuck against your base currency... example... per capita income in the US is 418% higher than in Mexico ($40,100 vs. $9,600), which translates to Monterey's $357 ticket being = to $1495 USD! Now that's expensive.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 29, 2005 11:10

Thanks for remembering me the formula. But it is not shown on the graph. Based on what I know of Stade de France and helped by the colour, I can make the estimate of the weighted average price.
WAP Paris in Euros : 146.50 x 1/12 + 129.50 x 2/12 + 107.50 x 3/12 + 96.50 x 3/12
+ 91 x 1/12 + 80 x 2/12 = 105.7 Euros.
Gross Revenue = 80,000 x 105.7 = 8,456,000 Euros.
As you took an FX of 1.18, the figure that you should indicate on your diagram is
105.7 x 1.18 = 147 $. Regards. Hope this will help

Posted by: joelle ()
Date: December 29, 2005 13:41

Very interesting chart. Thanks !

As a matter of fact, prices for the Paris gig are more "reasonable" compared with 2003 when the Gold Circle tickets were at 220 Euros. For 2006 they are at 146 Euros, which is not cheap of course, but a better value (at least I hope so...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-29 16:14 by joelle.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 29, 2005 15:53

very strange indeed, joelle

Maybe theyre facing the car park instead of the stage!

Posted by: joelle ()
Date: December 29, 2005 16:12

Non, non !!!!!
Tickets are on Keith's side... in a good section....

I suppose the ticket price has to do with the current economic situation in France, as mentioned by another poster on this thread...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home