Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Your thoughts on a David Gilmour Gig, any good? Have presale link if u want it
Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 20, 2005 10:33

Just got announcement of a DG gig in Chicago... might be interesting, anyone have opinions on this ?

He looked pretty good at the recent 'Live 8' deal.

I've got links to a pre-sale... looks more confusing than even a stones pre-sale if that's possible. if you want the link, leave a place to e-mail it.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Re: OT: Your thoughts on a David Gilmour Gig, any good? Have presale link if u want it
Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: December 20, 2005 10:55

I bought tickets for the show in Milan (Italy). The Live8 DVD set is worth buying just for the 20 min. of Pink Floyd, pure magic.
Also is solo DVD is outstanding in my opinion.

Sjouke

Re: OT: Your thoughts on a David Gilmour Gig, any good? Have presale link if u want it
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 20, 2005 11:23

Dave Gilmour is one of the greatest and most skilled guitar players ever in the entire history of rock'n'roll. But I feel it's not the same to see him alone, without Pink Floyd. However he's got some great solo albums, so I'm sure you will have a great time!

Date: December 20, 2005 11:54

The Worst. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave Gilmour is one of the greatest and most
> skilled guitar players ever in the entire history
> of rock'n'roll. But I feel it's not the same to
> see him alone, without Pink Floyd. However he's
> got some great solo albums, so I'm sure you will
> have a great time!
>
> I'm called the hit-and-run raper in anger, the
> knife-sharpened tippie-toe..

Doesn't he do alot of Pink Floyd numbers at his shows ??

Date: December 20, 2005 12:12

Yes he does, but without the band - so it's not the same. If you attend a show with Keith and he plays a lot of Stones numbers, it would not be the same as attending a show with the stones. But of course it would be a great experience, both Dave and Keith are great.

Date: December 20, 2005 12:17

This is the setlist on his latest DVD (semi acoustic)... so quite a lot Pink Floyd songs.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Terrapin
Fat Old sun
Coming Back To Life
High Hopes
Je Crois Entendre Encore
Smile
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
Dimming Of The Day
She On You Crazy Diamond
A Great Day For Freedom
Hushabye Mountain
Dominoes
Breakthrough
Comfortably Numb

Date: December 20, 2005 12:24

Except from Shine on you crazy diamond, Gilmour had the main influence on those Pink Floyd songs listed there.

Date: December 20, 2005 12:42

The Worst. Wrote:
> Yes he does, but without the band -

So this is a total solo show ?? No backing band at all, just DG on the guitar ?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 20, 2005 12:44

its definately worth going to

if you have no friends or a life. so i'll see you there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-21 09:33 by bv.

Date: December 20, 2005 13:38

No, he has a backing band of course... and a very good one.
Apparently, Pink Floyd rejected an offer of 250 million (dollar or pounds???) for a reunion tour. Occassionally, they might play together again.

Sjouke

Posted by: RQ ()
Date: December 20, 2005 15:01

Nope, he'll bring an orchastra and chorus and his elec band.
And I'll be there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-20 15:02 by RQ.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: December 20, 2005 15:19

Where can I find his european dates? I know there are some concerts in Germany - is there any in Austria?

Date: December 20, 2005 15:33

Here is a link:

[www.brain-damage.co.uk]
[www.davidgilmour.com]

Sjouke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-20 15:35 by Sjouke.

Posted by: woemansland ()
Date: December 20, 2005 15:47

I bought my ticket 2 weeks ago and by now all 3 german shows (Dortmund, Hamburg & Frankfurt) are sold out.
I think it will be definitely worth to see him, I hope he plays Dominoes & Terrapin.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: December 20, 2005 16:06

seen him solo twice and each night was great.. it's nice to hear him strip down some floyd favs and do them acoustic

didn't know tickets were on sale and now both UK shows have sold out.. apart from ebay anyone know where tickets are on sale ?

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: December 20, 2005 16:07

send to jakerag@comcast.net

thanks.

Posted by: RQ ()
Date: December 20, 2005 16:12

Tickets in Holland were sold out in about 10 minutes!
Luckily I bought mine in the first 5.

Date: December 20, 2005 17:03

BornOnTheBayou, I'm sorry if I made my self unclear. What I tried to say was that he performs without Pink FLoyd, of course he's got a band. Try this link, and you can see some songs with him live: [www.pinkfloyd.co.uk]

Date: December 21, 2005 00:09

The seats for the Chicago "pre-sale" suck.... figures.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 21, 2005 01:20

I wish Floyd would get back together, either with Waters or without. I saw them in '94 and they were awesome!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 21, 2005 02:04

If it isn't an instant sellout I might try for cheap parking lot tickets, they are too expensive through official channels.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 21, 2005 08:47

Sjouke Wrote:
> This is the setlist on his latest DVD (semi
> acoustic)... so quite a lot Pink Floyd songs.
>
> Shine On You Crazy Diamond
> Terrapin
> Fat Old sun
> Coming Back To Life
> High Hopes
> Je Crois Entendre Encore
> Smile
> Wish You Were Here
> Comfortably Numb
> Dimming Of The Day
> She On You Crazy Diamond
> A Great Day For Freedom
> Hushabye Mountain
> Dominoes
> Breakthrough
> Comfortably Numb

This will NOT be the setlist. He is releasing a new CD on March 6 and will be promoting it on the tour. When he last toured behind a new solo album, About Face, in 1984, he played everything on About Face, a couple of songs from his first solo album, and a couple of Pink Floyd songs.

Date: December 21, 2005 09:26

tatters Wrote:
> Sjouke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>>
> This will NOT be the setlist. He is releasing a
> new CD on March 6 and will be promoting it on the
> tour. When he last toured behind a new solo album,
> About Face, in 1984, he played everything on About
> Face, a couple of songs from his first solo album,
> and a couple of Pink Floyd songs.

When will these guys ever learn that what the audience mostly wants are THE CLASSICS. I mean it's really like "artistic license" for these guys to build their reputation on a certain set of great songs, which ARE arena-worthy, then they come up with some new stuff and they think, well, because I'm "so-and-so legendary musician" anything new I write is also worthy of an arena.

This is the Neil Young "Greendale" theory or the Madonna "drowned world" theory. Mick Jagger was in a documentary discussing this with Elton John and they both agreed that Madonna should have stuck more closely to her "classics" on that tour.... which is of course what both the Stones and EJ do: 80 to 85% classics, 15 to 20% new stuff. So even if the new stuff really isn't "arena-worthy", the classics carry it and the audience puts up with it.

Date: December 21, 2005 09:32

I never said this will be the setlist.... this is the songlist of the DVD that came out a couple of years ago. It was to illustrate what kind of songs he performes when playing solo.
Indeed, there is a new album coming out in March.

Sjouke

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 21, 2005 17:52

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> tatters Wrote:
> -----
> > Sjouke Wrote:
> >
>
> >>
> > This will NOT be the setlist. He is releasing
> a
> > new CD on March 6 and will be promoting it on
> the
> > tour. When he last toured behind a new solo
> album,
> > About Face, in 1984, he played everything on
> About
> > Face, a couple of songs from his first solo
> album,
> > and a couple of Pink Floyd songs.
>
>
> When will these guys ever learn that what the
> audience mostly wants are THE CLASSICS. I mean
> it's really like "artistic license" for these guys
> to build their reputation on a certain set of
> great songs, which ARE arena-worthy, then they
> come up with some new stuff and they think, well,
> because I'm "so-and-so legendary musician"
> anything new I write is also worthy of an arena.
>
> This is the Neil Young "Greendale" theory or the
> Madonna "drowned world" theory. Mick Jagger was in
> a documentary discussing this with Elton John and
> they both agreed that Madonna should have stuck
> more closely to her "classics" on that tour....
> which is of course what both the Stones and EJ do:
> 80 to 85% classics, 15 to 20% new stuff. So even
> if the new stuff really isn't "arena-worthy", the
> classics carry it and the audience puts up with
> it.
>

Seeing Neil Young has always been a crap shoot. Odds are half the songs will be works in progress that he hasn't even recorded yet, let alone released. When I saw him in '78, Comes A Time had just hit the radio stations (wasn't even in the stores yet) and I was expecting a mellow evening of material from that album and older, similar material like the stuff on Harvest. Instead he blew the place apart with the songs that would the following year become Rust Never Sleeps. It just sounded like a load of noise. It was only after the album came out that I thought "Oh, I guess that was pretty good after all". The point is, anything we think of as classic was at one time the new stuff, and artists are always hoping their new stuff will become classic. When an artist DOESN'T play a lot of their new stuff, it means that even THEY think it sucks!

FYI: There are no Madonna "classics".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home