Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question for 1978 tour experts
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 12, 2005 04:30

Of all the available audience recordings from this tour, which are the best and worst. Thanks!

Re: Question for 1978 tour experts
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 12, 2005 04:34

Not too many are in great quality, but one of the shows which i think is really good but which hardly gets mentioned is the one in Tucson (21st july). Quality isnt bad

Philly 17th June is pretty good sound quality but the show's awful

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 12, 2005 05:45

New Yersey,Menphis,andLexington,are the best. Detroit.SAn Francisco,Tucson, Are not so good,I love the Houston boot!!Most shows I still have!Still looking for,Boulder(Colorado)this was a huge gig!New Orleans,and Lakeland,so i cant tell about them.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 12, 2005 06:19

Rooster named exactly the 3 I would have picked too. Jersey (Out on Bail) rocks so well! And the Lex Memphis are maybe evn better. IMO one can clearly hear the Stones playing up on the NE coast on the fitst one, and the other two sound distincltly southern. Dunno why.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 12, 2005 06:21

I've never seen a good video of the New Orleans show, but the poor video I have shows how intense the crowd was that night. I was down front and it was chaos. The Stones at their sloppiest best.

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: December 12, 2005 06:23

I only have one-- Capitol Theater, Passaic, N.J. 6-14-78. Bought vinyl in early '80s. Enough to fill 90 minute tape. Recording is off the board, high quality; one channel goes out briefly in Sweet Little 16, otherwise fine. That song smokes, as does just about everything else.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 12, 2005 06:50

yea nanker25, I'm always surprised how the Stones dis this tour.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 12, 2005 07:25

When leaving the first Anaheim show, part of me thought I saw
a terrible show, but the other part of me that I saw a great one.
The boot I heard later proved me right, as I think it was one of
the better-sounding shows (sloppy in places, but classic-sounding Stones
in others, which is how it should be). The '75 tour seemed a million miles away
from where this one was. Opening with Let it Rock? What a bold chioce, though
I didn't realize it at the time. 99.9 % of the audience had never heard the tune.
They took a lot of chances on this tour, and I don't think many people realized it
until much later.
Besides Handsome Girls, Passaic, and the Anaheim shows, I think the JFK show, musically,is better than everyone thinks (as MJ had the flu), and the Satisfaction Guaranteed boot has great moments, too. The Chicago boot I have is good, as is Oakland. The Cleveland gig seems a bit spotty, though. Funny how this tour
was written off as a failure when I think they look and sound more contemporary then than they do now. Keith had a great look on this tour. Wrangler jeans, green Addias tennis shoes, tattered shirt, black jacket, Indian prayer scarf. Bono and Springsteen could only dream of looking that cool.

Posted by: Here it Comes ()
Date: December 12, 2005 07:52

Gosh, where was this tour written off as a failure? I would absolutely say it's their third best tour, following 69 and 72. I think after the bloat of the the mid-70s and the tonic of punk, the Stones really wanted something fresh and clean. There was something for everyone on this tour -- it's what a rock tour should be. They promoted an excellent new album (Shattered, Miss You, Beast of Burden, When the Whip Comes Down), pleased the crowd with some hits (Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Jumping Jack Flash), threw in a bold goody (Let it Rock), and even had some fun for themselves (Hound Dog, Sweet Little 16). What's to complain about?

I think the NJ show or "Handsome Girls" probably capture this tour the best.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 12, 2005 08:11

Here it Comes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would absolutely say it's their third best tour, following 69 and 72.

So would I!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: December 12, 2005 08:55

here we go
Philly
oakland
Anaheim (both)
washington(the one i have)
New Jersey SBd

Membhis IS BAD,so is HOUSTON.The songs,what you guys mean,are from RADIO broadcast,but only few songs were broadcasted.

The worst as an show
BOULDER

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 12, 2005 09:03

It is only with time that the tour has become appreciated. Performances were spotty...Cleveland sucked...and basically the discs on Handsome Girls are the best of the tour. At the time of the tour, critics ravaged the group, who were not at their best. Part of what we see as boldness, so many new and untried songs, was not appreciated at the time. And that stinging critcism may play well into the safe set lists we see even today.

I have always felt the slagging of this tour is what made the 81 tour such a giant surprise and critical success. No one expected it. Many thought the guys were done, even with the success of Tatoo You , as a peforming unit.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: December 12, 2005 12:38

Didn't they play in Buffalo 7/4/78 on this tour and if so is there a boot of the show?

Date: December 12, 2005 12:58

to Chelsea,As you knw Dallas is real good, and to tell you the truth there are shows that sound,bad but whom i still love dearly(anaheim,sill want to purchase both shows,i have ''the shoes one ,on two boots ,different sources both good.virginia sounds bad, but is one of my favourites!Greensboro(carolina)is fantastic!!!!

Date: December 12, 2005 13:04

Shawn 20,Could you please tell ,the full story of your,New Orleans experience,have to work now,if im lucky i can check it out tonight.(wish i had been there ,man!!!!)

Posted by: dariog ()
Date: December 12, 2005 13:13

who was myrtel beach show was this show outside.

Posted by: dariog ()
Date: December 12, 2005 13:25

little story about the 78 tour i remember as a kid i was about seven comeing back from the jersey show that summer of 78 and i remember my uncle telling me he was going to the jfk show in the car back from the shore he was reallly in to the stones he seen them in 69 72 75 at philly and then we pull up to the toll booth at the burligton bristol bridge and the toll guy had the garden state 78 boot cover taped on the window of the booth really wild they must have played that show already got into the stones after that . 78 is the best

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: December 12, 2005 13:30

The good sister's Gorgeous Girls Redux is second only to Timeless Europe as MUST HAVE unofficial CDs.

Yes, there is a boot of Buffalo 78, not a bad show but no where close to either 75 show in Buffalo.

Date: December 12, 2005 13:55

<New Yersey,Menphis,andLexington,are the best. Detroit.SAn Francisco,Tucson>

All of those shows are soundboard (except for San Fransisco)? Only a couple of songs available from Memphis - or am I wrong?

Date: December 12, 2005 15:58

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Rooster named exactly the 3 I would have picked
> too. Jersey (Out on Bail) rocks so well! And the
> Lex Memphis are maybe evn better. IMO one can
> clearly hear the Stones playing up on the NE coast
> on the fitst one, and the other two sound
> distincltly southern. Dunno why.

in fairness, the original post asked about audience tapes. Passaic, NJ is a soundboard

There ARENT soundboards/broadcasts from lexington and Memphis - KBFH announced them as being from that show but in each case, the recordings are padded out with songs from Houston and Detroit. Only two songs from Memphis were broadcast (Shattered and Hound Dog). The audience tape from Memphis is awful. The one from Lexington isnt bad.

'78 gets a lot of plaudits because the recordings that were broadcast by KBFH were sensational. The shows themselves were quite hit and miss musically. Its a very inconsistent series of shows, but the best shows are among their greatest

Date: December 12, 2005 16:19

bassaleman Wrote:
> Didn't they play in Buffalo 7/4/78 on this tour
> and if so is there a boot of the show?

theres a recording of every show on this tour available.

Buffalo and St Louis are however incomplete (Buffalo misses the last 2 songs)

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 12, 2005 16:39

What is the difference between the two recordings SB & AUD? Is one usually better than the other?

Thanks,

The Sicilian

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 12, 2005 16:42

SB is soundboard, like a proffesional recording
AUD is recorded by someone in the audience, with "loose" microphones

Date: December 12, 2005 16:47

<There ARENT soundboards/broadcasts from lexington>

Is "Just Another Gig" (from Lexington) not a soundboard - or is the venue information on the sleave incorrect?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 12, 2005 16:49

I'm not a fan of soundboards generally but I regard Garden State '78 (Passiac) as one of their best bootlegs ever. With punk ruling the roost in the UK at the time and wiping away all before it, this back to basics tour was heralded by the British press as a perfect response.

However, a show not suitable for stadiums by the sounds of things!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 12, 2005 16:50

How are the SB recordings usually made?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 12, 2005 18:22

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 22:31 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 12, 2005 18:26

getting loose with definitions here - let's not confuse broadcasts with soundboards.

Date: December 13, 2005 01:09

Im not sure to me 1.Dallas=soundboard 2.New yersey+sounboard 3.Lexington=soundboard 4.Menphis Tenesee=sure is sounboard!!It aint Houston,I listen to it so manny times its a different gig! Buffalo exist!I have 2 songs of that show. Chicago is a real nice a r. Now hows St Paul???

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 20, 2010 23:24

dariog
little story about the 78 tour i remember as a kid i was about seven comeing back from the jersey show that summer of 78 and i remember my uncle telling me he was going to the jfk show in the car back from the shore he was reallly in to the stones he seen them in 69 72 75 at philly and then we pull up to the toll booth at the burligton bristol bridge and the toll guy had the garden state 78 boot cover taped on the window of the booth really wild they must have played that show already got into the stones after that . 78 is the best

So THAT'S what this is all about??? Your UNCLE???

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home