Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Street Fighting Man 2024
Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: June 5, 2024 10:36

Any reason why this isn't making the set so far this year ?

Such a popular song and I think played every night on the last European Tour - including being the opening song.

Any thoughts why its been dropped as it's such a great song live

Re: Street Fighting Man 2024
Date: June 5, 2024 10:49

It has happened before – that they skipped it after having it as the opener (2002).

A song that always should be played, imo.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 5, 2024 13:57

They only did play SFM as an opener or they didn't play it at all the last tours. For example when they alternated SFM and JJF as an opener in 2019 JJF was played either as an opener or in the last part. But SFM was only played as an opener. So when JJF was an opener you know you would get one extra special song in the first set. Same in 2021 and 2022 - only as an opener.

The only exception was 2017 where it was played regulary after the Keith set.

Since 2012 it was mainly played as an opener or at some shows in the first part (often as a Song Vote Winner for example Hyde Park 13 Düsseldorf 14). I think on the A Bigger Bang Tour it wasn't played at all.

I love it when it's played after the Keith set Like in 2017 but it's a great opener too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-05 13:58 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 5, 2024 14:12

they did rehearse it maybe they'll start alternating it with smu at some point

lot of shows left

i personally think it's a better opening song

Posted by: SoulSurvivor1990 ()
Date: June 5, 2024 15:04

It's never been an every-nighter, and with a few exceptions (Licks, No Filter), it wasn't one you were absolutely guaranteed. It wasn't played at all on the Bigger Bang tour. They need room for the new songs this tour, but I think they could slot it in at the end between PIB and JJF.

Date: June 5, 2024 15:17

SoulSurvivor1990
It's never been an every-nighter, and with a few exceptions (Licks, No Filter), it wasn't one you were absolutely guaranteed. It wasn't played at all on the Bigger Bang tour. They need room for the new songs this tour, but I think they could slot it in at the end between PIB and JJF.

Of course it has. It was the opening number of every show (save a couple of shows) in 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022.

Date: June 5, 2024 15:52

Well, I highlighted exceptions. In 2018 and 2019 it alternated with JJF and Start Me Up, 2021 it opened every show except L.A. 1, 2022 it didn't open the second Hyde Park show. But it's not in the league of JFF and Honky Tonk Women when it comes to being done every night.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 5, 2024 16:16

Start Me Up and Miss You were great in their time, but I’m not sure they deserve warhorse status. Definitely SFM is stronger choice. But maybe they want to sprinkle every decade across a setlist. Anyhow as we know you can’t please everyone. It’s certainly a good concert as is. Maybe some club shows thrown in would satisfy the hard core fans like us. But as it’s also been said we’re lucky to have anything at all.

Date: June 5, 2024 16:57

Much better opener than Start me Up with the 9/10 intro mistake.

Date: June 5, 2024 17:08

Agreed that SFM has more vitality to it than some of the other warhorses. Controversial statement, but I think it's maybe the only song played better post-Wyman that existed when Bill was in the band.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 5, 2024 17:09

SoulSurvivor1990

69/70, 72/73, 75/76, 89/90, 94/95 are some other exceptions...

Date: June 5, 2024 17:29

yeababyyea
SoulSurvivor1990

69/70, 72/73, 75/76, 89/90, 94/95 are some other exceptions...

I was mostly referring to the 2012 and onward period...

Also, it wasn't played in 1989.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 5, 2024 19:13

frankotero
Start Me Up and Miss You were great in their time, but I’m not sure they deserve warhorse status.

Start Me Up is admittedly a great hit, but its always been played because its their most recent "hit". They play it cause if they didn't the whole set would be 60s and 70s, so it benefits from being a "later" song in their catalogue, though the longer the go the funnier that is.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 5, 2024 19:44

Street Fighting Man was and should always remain .....................

the final song of every show, period. Sure, it works elsewhere, but go back to 69, 72, and 73. Maddening how fabulous a song can fit and yet be neglected.[/color]

Kick me like you kicked before
I can't even feel the pain no more

"Rocks Off", Exile on Main Street
Rolling Stones, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-14 15:32 by bv.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 5, 2024 20:45

RollingFreak
frankotero
Start Me Up and Miss You were great in their time, but I’m not sure they deserve warhorse status.

Start Me Up is admittedly a great hit, but its always been played because its their most recent "hit". They play it cause if they didn't the whole set would be 60s and 70s, so it benefits from being a "later" song in their catalogue, though the longer the go the funnier that is.

if they had played 'Rough Justice' half as often as 'Start Me Up' 'Rough Justice' would be the most recent great hit (needless to say that Rough Justice is the better song)

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: June 5, 2024 21:15

ProfessorWolf
they did rehearse it maybe they'll start alternating it with smu at some point

lot of shows left

i personally think it's a better opening song

I would love it!!!

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: June 6, 2024 00:39

As much as I love this song and prefer it to SMU--I don't need any warhorses added back to the set. Unless they are removing one. Play the new stuff and deep cuts.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: June 6, 2024 00:59

For European leg? We hope so.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 6, 2024 01:12

slewan
RollingFreak
frankotero

if they had played 'Rough Justice' half as often as 'Start Me Up' 'Rough Justice' would be the most recent great hit (needless to say that Rough Justice is the better song)
IMO , Start Me Up is a classic and way better song than Rough Justice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-06 01:13 by Taylor1.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 6, 2024 01:24

Taylor1
slewan
RollingFreak
frankotero

IMO , Start Me Up is a classic and way better song than Rough Justice

Yeah, I agree. I like Rough Justice a lot, I like the whole A Bigger Bang album. But Start Me Up was really the last song the Stones made when they meant something. They were still relevant for new material, or at least that one song. Then they became... old. We all know that. They started in the 60s, made it through all the 70s, and basically ended in 81-82 as a creative force. Tattoo You was already just a lot of leftovers they polished up. Start Me Up was the last time they made a legitimate hit that wasn't just played because it was new. Everything since has been some good songs, but none that made an actual impact on society. When they played 12-12-12, I remember my mom saying "really? You're gonna waste time playing You Got Me Rocking?" Start Me Up was the last song they put out that everyone knew, and I don't like it as much because its overplayed but its a great Stones song. Its a worthy one to go out on and it amps people up enough that its hard to argue it shouldn't be played every night.

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: June 6, 2024 01:31

RollingFreak
frankotero

it's not just their 'most recent hit' its one of the most iconic songs in rock history. In fact it's on track to beat out Satisfaction as their second most streamed song. SMU is a song that everyone knows, even if you're not very familiar with the band. If you were to interview random people on the street I'm confident more people would recognize "Start Me Up" than say, JJF or HTW

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 6, 2024 17:44

Start Me Up has been played at thousands of international sports events .No one plays Rough Justice.Its not even a top 50 song by the band

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 6, 2024 20:02

To quote Jagger:
.Of course SMU should be the opener, it's obvious!

However even if I dig Steve I really miss Charlie on SMU.

Nothing beats standing at the front and bang the band 's on stage and it's Start Me Up in ya face!

SFM is great too but finish the show with it, Satisfaction can take a rest a la the 70's!

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 6, 2024 20:14

Out of the 27 shows I saw since I became a fan in 2014, the performances of Street Fighting Man at the end of the No Filter tour 2017, especially those in Paris, belong to the most transcendental experiences I've had with the band. As they played the song in the last part of the show, they drew it out and took it to higher heights. While it was a great opener in 2018 and 2022, the song never made me forget space and time again like it did in 2017 smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-06-06 20:14 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2024 20:25

DandelionPowderman
SoulSurvivor1990

Of course it has. It was the opening number of every show (save a couple of shows) in 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022.

I just looked at the 2019 shows - they played it approximately half of the tour. And when they opened with JJF they did not play SFM.

9 of 14 shows in 2018. Opener, not played at all.

13 of 15 shows in 2021. Opener, not played at all.

14 of 15 in 2022. Opener, not played at all.

So it was the opener say 85% of the last 4 tours.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2024 20:41

Taylor1
Start Me Up has been played at thousands of international sports events .No one plays Rough Justice.Its not even a top 50 song by the band

I don't watch many sports games on TV as I did a few years ago but when I'm out somewhere and there's whatever on TV, 7 out of 10 times I'll hear Start Me Up blasted at some point - I say 7 out of 10 because I probably didn't see that part of the game when it's played.

It's probably the most played song at sporting events, at least in the US.

There's one song that gets played at every Saints game in New Orleans, Second Line by Stop Inc, it's a local song - and a classic.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 7, 2024 19:13

Maybe SMU is in there to play to the least common denominators in the US: The most casual of fans, SMU, Satisfaction, Sympathy, HTW, Miss You and IORR seem (to me,,,at least) songs that even that guy/woman at the office, or friend of a friend that proclaim they love the Stones, but really aren't very into music at all, can sing song with. Parts of the classic rock canon. Though they are also likely the same people who will talk loudly about their work or personal life throughout Tell Me Straight or any non-mega-hit. Part of playing stadiums and trying to please everyone I imagine. All that said, I hope they add SFM back, soon, and keep it in.

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: June 7, 2024 19:21

buffalo7478
Maybe SMU is in there to play to the least common denominators in the US: The most casual of fans, SMU, Satisfaction, Sympathy, HTW, Miss You and IORR seem (to me,,,at least) songs that even that guy/woman at the office, or friend of a friend that proclaim they love the Stones, but really aren't very into music at all, can sing song with. Parts of the classic rock canon. Though they are also likely the same people who will talk loudly about their work or personal life throughout Tell Me Straight or any non-mega-hit. Part of playing stadiums and trying to please everyone I imagine. All that said, I hope they add SFM back, soon, and keep it in.

If you’re favorite Stones song is Start Me Up, that doesn’t make you any less of a fan. No need to gate keep, everyone is welcome at a Stones concert.

Date: June 7, 2024 19:41

MonkeyMan2000
Out of the 27 shows I saw since I became a fan in 2014, the performances of Street Fighting Man at the end of the No Filter tour 2017, especially those in Paris, belong to the most transcendental experiences I've had with the band. As they played the song in the last part of the show, they drew it out and took it to higher heights. While it was a great opener in 2018 and 2022, the song never made me forget space and time again like it did in 2017 smiling smiley

Agreed, those 2017 shows when it was played as part of the post-Keith set were absolutely magnificent. Great raw jamming and fantastic guitar playing.

As I said early, it’s a song I enjoy more post-1994 than I do 1969-90. The Wyman versions are too fast to me - the song needs some weight to it so you feel like it’s really charging toward you. My favorite versions are Twickenham 2003 and Kansas City 2015.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 7, 2024 20:58

SoulSurvivor1990
MonkeyMan2000

Agreed, those 2017 shows when it was played as part of the post-Keith set were absolutely magnificent. Great raw jamming and fantastic guitar playing.

+1thumbs upsmileys with beer

Below is a quote from my first ever post here on the IORR forum some 7 years ago, which tells it all.

Re: Düsseldorf Germany 09-Oct-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 24, 2017 16:35

RisingStone
MR and SFM were highlights for me, the latter especially the best live version I have been treated to so far -- the interconnecting, almost telepathic vibe between Keith and Ronnie during the prolonged final portion and Mick watching them in awe is an unforgettable moment.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home