Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Steve Jordan´s Snare Hit
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 3, 2024 17:10

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

Steve Jordan is a great drummer and plays Charlie's parts very true to Charlie's style, and when not, more true to the original sound, such as during It's Only Rock and Roll. I don't think you can judge the sound of Steve's snare based on the YouTube recordings that are shared online. Steve's signature sound (listen to the Winos recordings, both studio and live), is VERY rim heavy and snappy.

We all love Charlie, but truth be told, he was kind of famously lazy as a drummer, for better or for worse. Steve is a different guy, a different drummer, but one who respects Charlie and Charlie's style tremendously.

My humblest opinion: Steve's playing keeps the band sounding tighter than they've sounded in eons. Charlie was lovely and obviously part of the signature Stones sound, but he had a tendency to drag, and occasionally flub. Keith also occasionally flubs. And when they both flub, we get those lovely colossal trainwrecks that occasionally make their way onto the internets for us to gawk over. Everybody misses Charlie, but my guess is the band is quite happy with Steve.

I disagree, I think the band sounds very Vegas. There's no spark, it sounds more like a lounge act. Even The Who was smart enough to bring on Simon Townshend crank to out more power.

Sicilian, it looks like you missed the point. And - the Stones were already a Vegas act 20 years ago - Steve Jordan has tightened things up.

Besides, saying Vegas now is equal to "this ain't my first rodeo" - extremely weak and very telling: these days nobody plays in Vegas unless they're good, very good, or, you know, great.

It's a whole new thang now.

And people that say "this ain't my first rodeo" are not to be taken seriously.

Tightened up how exactly? Define tightened.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 3, 2024 17:41

The Sicilian
They should have auditioned other drummers, heck with a basic kit you could have used Ringo Starr. Kenny Jones would have been a great drummer for the Stones but he's too fast and the band can't hang with him.

Please stop with the nonsense.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 3, 2024 17:56

Doxa

So I think both Steve and Darryl are just perfect guys for the job description almost impossible to win. I don't think there are any better guys out there.

- Doxa

I think Jones was the worst decision they have taken in the last 30 years...

And for drums, the only better choice I can think off is Charlie Watts fan Max Weinberg. But he already has a job.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-05 13:35 by Mathijs.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 3, 2024 18:11

Mathijs
I liked the Stones shows I saw with Jordan on drums, he brought back a lot of energy. Charlie was fabulous, but in 1999 he really started to lack in the energy department.

And yet Charlie played their songs faster with more energy even in 2007 compared to Jordan nowadays.

Does anyone really prefer Jordan on Start Me Up compared to good old Charlie?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 3, 2024 18:17

EasterMan
Mathijs
I liked the Stones shows I saw with Jordan on drums, he brought back a lot of energy. Charlie was fabulous, but in 1999 he really started to lack in the energy department.

And yet Charlie played their songs faster with more energy even in 2007 compared to Jordan nowadays.

Start Me Up and Tumbling Dice (my 2 fave warhorses) sounded the best in 2007. Just summat about the vibe and Charlie was on top form during 06-07.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 4, 2024 06:57

Keith sets the tempo on his intos. Dont blame Steve if Keith doesn’t want to speed up or slow down. All that crap about Keith playing behind the beat is just Keith’s style. It’s like in his blood. Keith couldn’t tap his foot on time if h tried. That’s just the way he plays. No right or wrong. It’s an emotion thing with Keith not a metronome. On record thank God for pro tools.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 5, 2024 07:04

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

Steve Jordan is a great drummer and plays Charlie's parts very true to Charlie's style, and when not, more true to the original sound, such as during It's Only Rock and Roll. I don't think you can judge the sound of Steve's snare based on the YouTube recordings that are shared online. Steve's signature sound (listen to the Winos recordings, both studio and live), is VERY rim heavy and snappy.

We all love Charlie, but truth be told, he was kind of famously lazy as a drummer, for better or for worse. Steve is a different guy, a different drummer, but one who respects Charlie and Charlie's style tremendously.

My humblest opinion: Steve's playing keeps the band sounding tighter than they've sounded in eons. Charlie was lovely and obviously part of the signature Stones sound, but he had a tendency to drag, and occasionally flub. Keith also occasionally flubs. And when they both flub, we get those lovely colossal trainwrecks that occasionally make their way onto the internets for us to gawk over. Everybody misses Charlie, but my guess is the band is quite happy with Steve.

I disagree, I think the band sounds very Vegas. There's no spark, it sounds more like a lounge act. Even The Who was smart enough to bring on Simon Townshend crank to out more power.

Sicilian, it looks like you missed the point. And - the Stones were already a Vegas act 20 years ago - Steve Jordan has tightened things up.

Besides, saying Vegas now is equal to "this ain't my first rodeo" - extremely weak and very telling: these days nobody plays in Vegas unless they're good, very good, or, you know, great.

A bit more steady. Charlie moved around the beat, Steve sets the beat.

Date: May 5, 2024 07:09

MadMax
EasterMan
Mathijs

Start Me Up and Tumbling Dice (my 2 fave warhorses) sounded the best in 2007. Just summat about the vibe and Charlie was on top form during 06-07.

Steve in 2023 is much closer to the original than Charlie ever was, even in 1981-82.

The best SMU was 1989.

The VOODOO tours SMU was extremely slow and loose and bordered being in shambles.

You're comparing apples to spare tires.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 5, 2024 07:45

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

I’m not a muso. So this I’d a genuine question.

How can Charlie move around the beat? Isn’t the drummer THE beat? WHAT the drummer plays, whether it’s slowly, or too fast, or “right”, isn’t THAT the beat? How can Charlie have moved around the beat?

Rod

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 5, 2024 09:56

GasLightStreet
The VOODOO tours SMU was extremely slow and loose and bordered being in shambles.

Maybe that's why I loved Voodoo SMU so much, the version from the MTV? awards where they also played Love is Strong is among the best I ever saw/heard.

Totally agree that Steve sets the beat while Charlie is more adaptive/loose. JJF with Steve at New Orleans was excellent.

Date: May 5, 2024 13:42

bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

How can Charlie move around the beat? Isn’t the drummer THE beat? WHAT the drummer plays, whether it’s slowly, or too fast, or “right”, isn’t THAT the beat? How can Charlie have moved around the beat?

Because a drummer can not only play to fast or too slow, but he can also play with the timing of the beat. He can place the snare right before or after the beat, and the same with the kickdrum -Charlie was great in slowing down within the four beats, and then accelerating with a drum roll (JJF in Brussels) or with his kick (JJF on Ya-Yas's) to get back to the 'on the beat'. And with playing around with the volume and intensity you can create tension, or what is called 'groove', enhanced by skipping beats or bars.

What made Charlie so great is also a bit of a mystery -when he played a straight 4-to-the-floor without anything really happening, it still had a groove, it still wobbled and danced. Take She's So Cold for example -nothing really happening with the drums, but it still grooves like crazy.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 5, 2024 23:45

EasterMan

Imagine your wife dies and you remarry. Do you prefer the new one? I think the question is not fair.

Why not love Charlie and Steve - both have unique qualities? As does Darryl Jones.

I really like the "new" way of playing this song.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 6, 2024 00:33

GasLightStreet
MadMax
EasterMan
Mathijs

Steve in 2023 is much closer to the original than Charlie ever was, even in 1981-82.

The best SMU was 1989.

No I think SMU and TD sounded the best in 2007 everything just came together on those 2 tunes in 05-07. 89 was great but a bit too fast (SMU). Apples to spare tires? Waddya on about?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2024 00:34

You know Maxeeeee
If ya eat apples ya wont get a spare tyre .... ( fat gut)

ROCKMAN

Date: May 6, 2024 04:07

bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

Charlie had this "thing" he did where (when) he'd prolong something - and it would shift the beat, even though the band didn't, and it could be jarring - he did it during JJF in New Orleans in 2019 - I was floored by it.

Sometimes he'll not hit the snare - or he does a hi-hat flare - and for just a tiny bit, slow down or throw off the kick... and the song quickly oozes/reshapes into a new beat but it's barely noticeable - it shifts but only for a second. Then he's back on/in and it's back in time again.

In that sense, he moved around the beat - he moved around his own syncopation (the beat).

I'm guessing he figured something was amiss and it's a timing correction overall, which, oddly, had zero to do with Keith being off time, regardless of what year and show (except for She's So Cold that one time in 1982), but the band. If you listen to SFM from GYYYO you'll notice a lot of fluctuation - Charlie's reacting to what he can hear and feel and it's astounding how fluid he is in dealing with it.

And, Charlie never said this, as far as I know, just the media/players/authors: he was a perfect metronome.

He wasn't. Not live, anyway.

Date: May 6, 2024 04:15

MadMax
GasLightStreet

No I think SMU and TD sounded the best in 2007 everything just came together on those 2 tunes in 05-07. 89 was great but a bit too fast (SMU). Apples to spare tires? Waddya on about?

They're not comparable.

As in, that's how different they are - they're not even in the same bowl (apples to oranges).

SMU originally is a 4 on the floor. In 1989 Charlie gave it the good ol' 2 beat and cranked it way up and it was the best ever. That 2007 version is pretty good, too. 1981-82 and 1994-95 are the most alike - sloppy, rough, sounds like it's going to collapse... yet keeps going somehow.

In 2024 Steve is playing it more like the studio version and, it's difficult to say at the moment, but as slow as it sounds, the studio version is incredibly slow in comparison to any live performance ever since it was released as far as I can tell.

And - it suffers because of it. The Jazz Fest performance is flat. It's too slow. You can hear it with Mick. A little bit faster would be way better.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 7, 2024 10:19

Mathijs

...What made Charlie so great is also a bit of a mystery -when he played a straight 4-to-the-floor without anything really happening, it still had a groove, it still wobbled and danced. Take She's So Cold for example -nothing really happening with the drums, but it still grooves like crazy.

Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 7, 2024 21:33

Songs like SMU and IORR had a studio sound with a real laid back, heavy groove, and for decades the Stones have played them like hyped up, fast party songs. It makes for a great, high energy live experience. It also makes sense that nowadays, in their 80s, they might want to slow the tempos down. The tempo of a song in a massive show like this is not up to Steve Jordan to decide. That gets decided by the band in rehearsals. So the tempos of the songs today really have nothing to do with Steve Jordan. He is a very tight drummer and I agree with GasLight that he has definitely tightened up the overall sound of the band... and that's one reason they chose him. He's as close to the band and understands their sound as any other drummer on earth. I think he's fabulous, and the perfect choice. But he is not Charlie, and that definitely makes it a different show. What this conversation we are all having shows, is how much of an impact every drummer (and their style) has on a band's overall sound. It's profound! But I'm glad they didn't find a drummer to attempt to exactly mimic Charlie Watts. That's unrealistic, really. We see that in the clips from the U2 shows at the Sphere... Larry Mullen is super unique, and his replacement is doing all he can to honor that unique sound. It falls short, in my humble opinion. I think Steve is crushing it for the Stones, in his own way.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 8, 2024 01:20

Mathijs
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

Because a drummer can not only play to fast or too slow, but he can also play with the timing of the beat. He can place the snare right before or after the beat, and the same with the kickdrum -Charlie was great in slowing down within the four beats, and then accelerating with a drum roll (JJF in Brussels) or with his kick (JJF on Ya-Yas's) to get back to the 'on the beat'. And with playing around with the volume and intensity you can create tension, or what is called 'groove', enhanced by skipping beats or bars.

What made Charlie so great is also a bit of a mystery -when he played a straight 4-to-the-floor without anything really happening, it still had a groove, it still wobbled and danced. Take She's So Cold for example -nothing really happening with the drums, but it still grooves like crazy.

Mathijs

Mathijs

So then how would you describe this magnificent piece of drumming on Monkey Man:

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: May 8, 2024 03:01

agree 100%

>> In 1989 Charlie gave it the good ol' 2 beat and cranked it way up and it was the best ever

Date: May 8, 2024 08:48

The Sicilian
Mathijs
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

Mathijs

Mathijs

So then how would you describe this magnificent piece of drumming on Monkey Man:

He plays the hi-hat when Charlie plays the ride. And overplays the cymbals. Time wise - decent enough.

Way too busy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-08 08:52 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 8, 2024 11:31

RS stadium concerts have a lot of technology, how fast SMU has to be played, Steve doesn't decide, but it's a very specific choice of the band, which is made beforehand and they usually play on a click track.

Date: May 8, 2024 12:01

The Sicilian
Mathijs
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
Tate
Drummer here.

Mathijs

Mathijs

An amateur having fun in his attic.

Mathijs

Date: May 8, 2024 12:02

Testify
RS stadium concerts have a lot of technology, how fast SMU has to be played, Steve doesn't decide, but it's a very specific choice of the band, which is made beforehand and they usually play on a click track.

They have a visual click track (and probably in ear click track on some songs as well). However, the songs Keith starts seem to come out of his gut feeling smiling smiley

Date: May 8, 2024 12:03

Testify

Nope. No click track has ever been used on stage. They only used pre-recorded music like on Sympathy.

Mathijs

Date: May 8, 2024 12:14

Mathijs
Testify

Nope. No click track has ever been used on stage. They only used pre-recorded music like on Sympathy.

Mathijs

Chuck has blinking light on the songs he count in.

Date: May 8, 2024 14:36

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Testify

Mathijs

Without a doubt he has all the tempi programmed to count in, but the band does not play to a click track.

Mathijs

Date: May 8, 2024 14:38

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Testify

Mathijs

Without a doubt he has all the tempi programmed to count in, but the band does not play to a click track.

Mathijs

Agreed. And I doubt Keith is even looking at the lights when he starts the songs smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 8, 2024 14:54

The bpm are also important to keep the stage effects in sync with the music.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 8, 2024 18:31

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Testify

Mathijs

I don't know, but I wouldn't be so sure, it's a way to sync videos and effects and to have the text synced.
However I'm watching No Security San Jose and Charlie only plays in some songs on the edge of the snare drum, so much so that you can also clearly see how worn his snare drum is in the center. So it's a technique that he doesn't always use, but only on some songs.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home