Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Steve Jordan´s Snare Hit
Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: April 29, 2024 22:36

Shoudn´t he hit the rim of the snare (as well as the center)? Correct me if I´m wrong, but I think he doesn´t. Charlie certaily did.

I always thought his snare sounded weak. This is very apparent in the Racket cd.

Any drummers here?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-29 22:38 by dedospegajosos.

Re: Steve Jordan´s Snare Hit
Date: April 29, 2024 22:45

No drummer but still: To me the sound of the snare is almost the signature of a drummer. Be it Charlie Watts, Steve Jordan, Bill Bruford or Buddy Rich. Why change it?

Date: April 29, 2024 22:55

Because it sucks? I have said many times, this is the wrong drummer for the Stones. Listening to Tumbling Dice at Racket now. The snare sounds like paper. Listen closely.

Nothing personal, I actually like the guy.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-29 23:03 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 29, 2024 23:04

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-29 23:10 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 29, 2024 23:04

I don't know if Jordan sucks with the Stones.I should give it a better listen. Seemingly Charlie liked him.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: April 29, 2024 23:06

TheflyingDutchman
I don't know if Jordan sucks with the Stones.I should give it a better listen. Seemingly Charlie liked him.

I like Steve but his style on some songs for me is totally unsuitable for the Stones.
Listen to him on "Start Me Up": slow, monotonous, flat and without groove.

Date: April 29, 2024 23:15

He is very robotic.

I must admit though, he surprised me in Rocks Off. He got looser and looser as the song progressed. That was very good drumming. That song is great , everyone gets crazy in the last part.

Date: April 29, 2024 23:16

HardRiffin
TheflyingDutchman

I like Steve but his style on some songs for me is totally unsuitable for the Stones.
Listen to him on "Start Me Up": slow, monotonous, flat and without groove.

On the outside rehearsal recording in LA that I posted -All Down The Line- Steve Jordan definitely kicked arse. He gave the band that "Exile smell".

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 29, 2024 23:32

dedospegajosos
Because it sucks? I have said many times, this is the wrong drummer for the Stones. Listening to Tumbling Dice at Racket now. The snare sounds like paper. Listen closely.

So would you tell this to Charlie Watts' face? He's the one that picked Steve when he was ill.

Date: April 29, 2024 23:43

More Hot Rocks
dedospegajosos

So would you tell this to Charlie Watts' face? He's the one that picked Steve when he was ill.

I would give my goddamn soul to be able to tell him anything to his face!

In this regard, Im afraid Charlie was wrong I think. He never knew how good he was, not even close. He had an inferiority complex. So when asked about steve he must have said sure why not, he is a great drummer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-29 23:44 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 29, 2024 23:59

Some songs sound better than others. SMU is particularly flat and inert. Steve is stuck in a sort of liminal space where he sounds neither like himself nor Charlie. Mick has explicitly urged him to be himself. That is good advice.

Date: April 30, 2024 00:04

MelBelli
Some songs sound better than others. SMU is particularly flat and inert. Steve is stuck in a sort of liminal space where he sounds neither like himself nor Charlie. Mick has explicitly urged him to be himself. That is good advice.

That´s very true. He should let go and go crazy, bring his own stuff, something new.. and please, hit that snare rim!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 00:06 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 30, 2024 00:45

Charlie may be gone but his influence extends to having hand picked the existing rhythm section of the current line up. You may debate the wisdom of his choices. Maybe one out of two ain’t bad. I like Steve.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 30, 2024 01:10

dedospegajosos
He is very robotic.

I must admit though, he surprised me in Rocks Off. He got looser and looser as the song progressed. That was very good drumming. That song is great , everyone gets crazy in the last part.

Charlie's drum fill after "I was making love last night" is sadly missed. Steve just bulldozes through that bit. (But I'm no expert.)

Date: April 30, 2024 01:10

vertigojoe
Charlie may be gone but his influence extends to having hand picked the existing rhythm section of the current line up. You may debate the wisdom of his choices. Maybe one out of two ain’t bad. I like Steve.

Steve is a *phenomenal* drummer. But on the specific topic of the tone of his snare drum, there’s no denying it sounds different. It doesn’t sound like it did with the Winos (just go listen to “Something Else” from Boston ‘93 for comparison), or, for that matter, with Bruce Springsteen, John Mayer, or Sheryl Crow.

He has obviously softened his touch to adapt to the Stones. Playing a Gretsch kit rather than Yamaha, for instance. I have been surprised, to be completely honest, how, with Steve, they sometimes sound like a bar band covering the Stones. They would not sound that way if Steve played *like himself*!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 30, 2024 01:34

Well all I can say is that if it wasn’t Steve, it was someone else and let’s say they chose poorly then it would’ve been a disaster and the fact that they can still do it and pull it off is amazing. The fact we are having a debate about the timbre of one individual though important drum I think rather proves the point. Peace! Hope you enjoy the show if you are lucky enough to attend!

Date: April 30, 2024 05:16

It’s amazing the criticism from audio from a cell phone from 250 feet away. I hope that a lot of you never get called for jury duty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 05:17 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 05:58

Steve is a fantastic drummer and plays great with Darryl. He's isnt Charlie watts but he is definitely the best man for the job

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 30, 2024 07:35

Nobody could replace Charlie, and Steve knows it. So he does the only thing he could do: Stay true to his own style, and honouring CW at every turn. He IS different sure, but he is also the one man CW pointed out. And I do think he and Darryl have had moments where they lock in a killer groove. Again, it’s not CW and BW, but it’s something else. I think Steve is great, and I’m happy for him.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 07:37 by JumpingKentFlash.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 30, 2024 08:31

Maybe Steve is suffering from “dedospegajosos”? Which could limit his drumming technique. smoking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 10:23 by Koen.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 30, 2024 09:21

From what I've heard, Steve Jordan sounds like Steve Jordan playing with the Stones. He is not trying to sound like Charlie Watts. Respect.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 30, 2024 09:50

Nothing wrong with talking about drumming styles...

...but there's no point in criticising Steve Jordan for not being Charlie Watts.

It won't make him into Charlie . Charlie was unique.

...and do folks really think the Rolling Stones would hire a drummer who wasn't bloody damn good ?

Date: April 30, 2024 11:08

dedospegajosos
Shoudn´t he hit the rim of the snare (as well as the center)? Correct me if I´m wrong, but I think he doesn´t. Charlie certaily did.

I always thought his snare sounded weak. This is very apparent in the Racket cd.

Any drummers here?

Not sure if weak is the word that springs to mind when I hear his snare on, say, Sweet Sounds Of Heaven. He has a history of tuning his snare higher pitched than Charlie, though. It was a little too much for my liking on TIC and MO, but it's better now, imo.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: April 30, 2024 16:30

This thread confirms my long held belief that although you are hearing a good live band…….called The Rolling Stones………it is no longer The Rolling Stones and never can be.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 30, 2024 16:36

He sounds mighty fine to me, but I am not a drummer and I don't have a clue on how you should hit a snare.

If I am allowed a guess, only by scrolling through Steve's credits as a session drummer, I would say that yes, Steve actually can hit a snare with competence.

But, again, I might be wrong and Steve was able to fool Keith, Aretha, Bruce, John Scofild and so on and on ...

C

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 30, 2024 18:06

dedospegajosos
Because it sucks? I have said many times, this is the wrong drummer for the Stones.

I do not understand the negativity. If you really think someone within the Stones touring gang "sucks" - you are at the wrong place.
The Stones chose this drummer - maybe even Charlie did. They can do whatever they want and it is your choice to listen or not to listen. Just to be so negative. I personally think Steve is a great drummer. Listen to some of his interview and podcasts as he talks about why he plays the drums the way he does with the Stones. And why Charlies drum sound of the seventies is important to him.

Date: April 30, 2024 18:54

schwonek
dedospegajosos
Because it sucks? I have said many times, this is the wrong drummer for the Stones.

I do not understand the negativity. If you really think someone within the Stones touring gang "sucks" - you are at the wrong place.
The Stones chose this drummer - maybe even Charlie did. They can do whatever they want and it is your choice to listen or not to listen. Just to be so negative. I personally think Steve is a great drummer. Listen to some of his interview and podcasts as he talks about why he plays the drums the way he does with the Stones. And why Charlies drum sound of the seventies is important to him.

I am aware of all this..

All I am saying is he should hit the rim. That would make the snare "whack", which is essential to the stones sound. The stones are a LOUD rock band with exceptional energy. That is part of it´s trade mark. They need a powerful snare sound.

this is in part what makes the songs sound flat and slow, as observed by many here on this forum.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 18:59 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 30, 2024 18:58

dedospegajosos
schwonek
dedospegajosos

I am aware of all this..

All I am saying is he should hit the rim. That would make the snare "whack", which is essential to the stones sound. The stones are a LOUD rock band with exceptional energy. That is part of it´s trade mark. They need a powerful snare sound.

Part of this is what makes the songs sound flat and slow, as observed by may here on this forum.

So you judges this by a cell phone recording. If you know anything you would know the the sanre has its own mic. Talk to the techs and think next time.

Date: April 30, 2024 19:08

More Hot Rocks
dedospegajosos
schwonek
dedospegajosos

I am aware of all this..

Part of this is what makes the songs sound flat and slow, as observed by may here on this forum.

So you judges this by a cell phone recording. If you know anything you would know the the sanre has its own mic. Talk to the techs and think next time.

Yeesus of course not! I listened to Live at the racket, I have SEEN HIM not hitting the rim of the snare, and I happen to know a lot about drums! I know the difference between rim/no rim hit. And about the microphone on the snare, of course it does! I has nothing to do with volume, it is about how you hit it.Not a very smart observation moron. You think!

Please let´s stay on topic.. anyone here who knows about drums please??

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 19:27 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 30, 2024 20:10

Like this?

[youtu.be]

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1305
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home