Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 20 of 22
Re: Houston TX USA show live updates - Sunday April 28, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 30, 2024 19:56

traclefingers
Well if we're going there...then my hoped for replacement would be HYSYMBSITS...just an awesome cacophony of joy.

treacle, I'll see your HYSYMBSITS, and raise it with Silver Train.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 19:57 by frankotero.

Re: Houston TX USA show live updates - Sunday April 28, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 20:24

As has been said and is entirely accurate, being there is different from watching videos. There's really no arguing that. That said, there's plenty to tell about a performance from videos and watching the ones from this show just make me sad.

Again I will say, Charlie is missed. Keith, the reason I am a Stones fan, play guitar, and am in a band myself is just a shadow of himself at this point. It reminds me a bit of watching Chuck Berry's decline in playing in his 80's. He just looks lost, fumbles to find notes or remember them, struggles finding and playing his chords, struggles really to play anything near like what he once did. Mind you, I am not expecting him to play like he did in his 20s and 30s, or for that matter even in hi 50s but this is really sad to me. It's hard to watch.

I don't consider it bitching and complaining to give a subjective opinion on this band or its members' performances and what they deliver live now. I'm glad people still enjoy it, still want to see them in concert, still feel like they get their money's worth and more. That's just no longer the case for me.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 30, 2024 20:54

I'd like to add to your assesment JN99, that maybe you have the wrong expectations for Keith...I'd like to see you sing, play rhythm guitar and the solo on Little T&A when you reach 80, stand up for 2+ hours with a guitar round your neck and master some 30-40 different tracks without hesitation on the opening night. In the 70s heyday the setlists were often less varied and easier to master as well...

Posted by: GeirGG ()
Date: April 30, 2024 20:54

I don’t know what Pit you are refering to. I was in Pit A, and there was dancing and fun, so please get your facts straight!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 30, 2024 21:07

GeirGG
I don’t know what Pit you are refering to. I was in Pit A, and there was dancing and fun, so please get your facts straight!

People who weren't there think it sucked. Soooooo f'in what. On a flight from LA to New Orleans and it's full of people excited to see the Rolling Stones. They are 80. Let's just enjoy this for what it is. I just saw Wille Nelson who is 91. It was fun, he had fun. The crowd loved it. It was 68 minutes and if you put it up against a show from 30 years ago it wasn't the same but it was a lot better than not being able to see him play.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 30, 2024 21:10

Aside from Mick's IEM issues, Angry was fantastic! Maybe it should be the show opener! That big beat going... the videos of it it sounds great - the boom of the stadium is captured!

SMU... aside from the guitar clam, which I found a bit surprising, because, you know, Hyde Park both times was enough, right?, it seemed a little slow yet Mick sounds great.

Mess It Up was a nice groove - it's a little slower, which sounds good, and Mick didn't rush (obvious IEM issues - this show is the flattest Mick has ever sung!).

Little T&A was really good. As some have said, the best in 8 years or whatever, since 1982. It was certainly more focused.

SSOH was pretty good considering it seems that they're a bit under rehearsed according to Mick's gestures (all the new songs had directions going!).

Mick sounds great on JJF - there's something different about his approach that's better than the last, oh, since 1989, although he had a similar delivery in 2019 that sounded really good.

I get how SFTD is one of those tunes they have to do but, Mick's enthusiasm aside, it seems a bit flat.

PIB - I get why some people think drop it - it actually sounded pretty good once they got past the first bit - Steve doing the bass drum rumbles at the end was a nice touch - but what's up with the audience?

Date: April 30, 2024 21:29

Get off my cloud is great. Mick is on fire with that one. Very much backing vocals but not chanel and bernard on stage. Looks strange.

Rocks off playing is very very good. But a difficult song for mick to sing. Sometimes he nails it. Sometimes he doesn’t. In houston he didnt. Also on out of time his voice was kinda weak. Angry is clear that needs a lot of work. Unlistenable really and the worst performance of any stones live song i can remember. Ronnie on backing vocals is nice to see though.

Beast of burden on risk of falling apart the whole somg but just kept it together. Shocker of a ronnie solo. Mess it up sounded way better then the rehearsal tape i heard. Mick working hard to make it work, seems to love this song. Think they did a good job. But for me its just not a stones song and does not deserve to be near the setlist. Think will get dropped soon.

New stage is great! Chanel is awesome. Keith played fantastic.

Date: April 30, 2024 21:40

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Angry is clear that needs a lot of work. Unlistenable really and the worst performance of any stones live song i can remember.

Yikes. I thought it was better than Anybody Seen My Baby, which was always awful.

ASMB was just bizarrely bad overall, Angry at least thumps.

Date: April 30, 2024 21:48

GasLightStreet
PaintMonkeyManBlack
Angry is clear that needs a lot of work. Unlistenable really and the worst performance of any stones live song i can remember.

Yikes. I thought it was better than Anybody Seen My Baby, which was always awful.

Yeah that was horrible too. But the fact we need go go back almost 30 years to find really bad performances are a huge compliment smiling smiley

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 21:51

skytrench
I'd like to add to your assesment JN99, that maybe you have the wrong expectations for Keith...I'd like to see you sing, play rhythm guitar and the solo on Little T&A when you reach 80, stand up for 2+ hours with a guitar round your neck and master some 30-40 different tracks without hesitation on the opening night. In the 70s heyday the setlists were often less varied and easier to master as well...

Ha - I can barely do it now! Believe me, I know how difficult it is but when you simply can't do it anymore, should you still? I don't want to lower my expectations any further in order to justify or accept it. As I said, I'm glad people still enjoy it and are accepting it for what it is because they're in their 80's. It's just not for me anymore.

Posted by: bauk77 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 22:14

wow they just included snippets of Angry on a houston clip, posted on the official Stones FB page. wondering because it was far from good and this is also recognizable on this clip.

Date: April 30, 2024 22:15

Fair enough, I prefer no expectations and experience what they have to give us instead which is still interesting and entertaining to me. Would I refuse to accept my grandparents because they have aged and are unable to do the things they once did or should I enjoy what they are capable of today and cherish that ?

Posted by: bauk77 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 22:16

Anybody Seen My Baby was a bad song, live and on the record! Angry is superb on the record, live it will develop for sure!

Date: April 30, 2024 22:20

No, Anybody Seen My Baby lost in the crowd was a good song to my ears! Angry is nice too..

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 30, 2024 22:24

JN99
As has been said and is entirely accurate, being there is different from watching videos. There's really no arguing that. That said, there's plenty to tell about a performance from videos and watching the ones from this show just make me sad.

Again I will say, Charlie is missed. Keith, the reason I am a Stones fan, play guitar, and am in a band myself is just a shadow of himself at this point. It reminds me a bit of watching Chuck Berry's decline in playing in his 80's. He just looks lost, fumbles to find notes or remember them, struggles finding and playing his chords, struggles really to play anything near like what he once did. Mind you, I am not expecting him to play like he did in his 20s and 30s, or for that matter even in hi 50s but this is really sad to me. It's hard to watch.

I don't consider it bitching and complaining to give a subjective opinion on this band or its members' performances and what they deliver live now. I'm glad people still enjoy it, still want to see them in concert, still feel like they get their money's worth and more. That's just no longer the case for me.

I hear what you're saying but in fairness to keith playing 15 shows a year, ( sometimes a two year gap ) over the past 14 years isn't going to get a fluid playing Keith, he's not like Ronnie, he's not the player who just picks up his guitar and carries on where he left off last tour.
Plus 1.5 shows a week isn't going to produce the Keith you want or expect.

The guy is 80 and he still has his moments, but i understand what you are saying, it's hard to watch at times, but Berlin 2022 shows the potential he still possesses.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 30, 2024 22:40

GasLightStreet
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Generally speaking Mick oriented tracks in recent decades don't work as well live as Keith's. Keith tends to write songs that develop live, i had a hunch this new album would suck in stadiums, and it's impossible to get the fake studio sound to come out of those guitars and Mick's mic live.
However I'm impressed with SSOH live, now that works with the talented Chanel Haynes.

Date: April 30, 2024 22:48

Keith and Ronnie are hitting it on Angry, those riffs - they sound fantastic live. Mick's just gotta hear himself better.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 30, 2024 23:15

'Start Me Up' intro corrected in the new RS Houston clip - [Twitter.com] , [Facebook.com] , [Instagram.com] .

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 30, 2024 23:34

skytrench
Fair enough, I prefer no expectations

I always prefer No Expectations! One of my very favorites! cool smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 23:41

Irix
'Start Me Up' intro corrected in the new RS Houston clip - [Twitter.com] , [Facebook.com] , [Instagram.com] .

No, the Stones would never do that, impossible.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 23:55

keefriffhards
JN99

I hear what you're saying but in fairness to keith playing 15 shows a year, ( sometimes a two year gap ) over the past 14 years isn't going to get a fluid playing Keith, he's not like Ronnie, he's not the player who just picks up his guitar and carries on where he left off last tour.
Plus 1.5 shows a week isn't going to produce the Keith you want or expect.

The guy is 80 and he still has his moments, but i understand what you are saying, it's hard to watch at times, but Berlin 2022 shows the potential he still possesses.
Yeah, what I saw in 2022 (with Berlin and Brussels being the highlights for Keith) was far from hard to watch. Going by the clips he did not reach that level in Houston, but it's the first show of the tour and we know it takes him a while to find his groove. Plus, if he was indeed recovering from COVID, then I think we should be happy he was even out there at all.

I do get it - of course he's not the player he once was (what a drag it is getting old!), and there are moments where that is especially evident. But at the same time, I don't think he's anywhere near the disastrous level Chuck Berry sadly fell to near the end of his life. I think Keith generally works around his limitations rather well.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 1, 2024 00:09

Great, I loved hearing the snippet of "Angry" in that proshot video.

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: May 1, 2024 00:43

Going to jump in with my take

First, it is a thrill for me anytime they take the stage and do what they do--I first saw them in '75 at Madison Square Garden, which blew me away. I was less impressed in '78 & '81 where I was only able to score a ticket in Philly and they seemed in a hurry to get out of the daylight.

Fast forward to Houston-I think this was the fourth time I've been at Opening Night (BOS, SD, STL). The anticipation is, can I say, exhilarating. Not knowing the setlist and being 'surprised' with each song is very cool IMHO.

Highlights for me were all three new songs and I know they need work but hey it takes balls to go with 3 new ones and essentially get the crowd into them. That's the way it was in Lucky Dip section 132 row P anyway. My buddy and I had the entire row to ourselves. All other rows around us were full and most everyone was on his/her feet for much of the show.

DON'T pull Mess It Up--it's music is infectious and the lyric is current in a boomer fashion. SSOH was pretty damn good, tho' the reprise may be reconsidered. Just my $.02.

Last and certainly not least, I was blown away by Ronnie and Keith weaving on JJF--I stood there thinking this might be the best JJF I have ever heard in person.

On to the free for all predicted at JazzFest. Should be an experience, maybe we can get as far away as we were at Oldchella. ;-) As the billboards here in NOLA proclaim, IYKYK

Chris
*if you know, you know

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 1, 2024 02:29

I see YouTube strikes again!
Today concerts are watched and judged like this, but it is completely wrong, because these videos tend to flatten the sound and cannot convey any of the vibrations and emotions of the concert and these are fundamental especially in a concert like that of the Rolling Stones.
This shifts the judgment to the technical execution of a song, but the Stones have never been technical, not even when they were young.
This is why I trust more what those who were there tell me and not those who in their armchair listen to the latest bad recording found on YouTube.... don't get me wrong, I watch them too, but I can't judge by that.

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: May 1, 2024 02:38

In my opinion they need to reorder the songs in the second half of the set, I wasn’t there so I could be wrong but, from what I can tell, having GS be towards the beginning of the second half makes the rest of the show feel anticlimactic. I Think: HTW -> Miss You -> SFTD -> PIU -> GS -> JJF -> Encore, would be a better sequence of songs. SSOH and Satisfaction makes for a perfect encore. I expect SSOH and YCAGWYW to switch places when they play 2 nights in the same city.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 1, 2024 02:41

FeelslikeaGhost
In my opinion they need to reorder the songs in the second half of the set, I wasn’t there so I could be wrong but, from what I can tell, having GS be towards the beginning of the second half makes the rest of the show feel anticlimactic. I Think: HTW -> Miss You -> SFTD -> PIU -> GS -> JJF -> Encore, would be a better sequence of songs. SSOH and Satisfaction makes for a perfect encore. I expect SSOH and YCAGWYW to switch places when they play 2 nights in the same city.

I think the darker songs as a sequence definitely keeps a consistent mood but I would move Gimme Shelter to the encore just because afterward the rest of the show was anti-climatic. Even HTW as an encore would be fine. SSOH not so much.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 1, 2024 02:52

do you think sympathy for the devil has lost its impact?

i find that its not so good the way the do the song now.

/

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: May 1, 2024 03:20

Dan
FeelslikeaGhost

I think the darker songs as a sequence definitely keeps a consistent mood but I would move Gimme Shelter to the encore just because afterward the rest of the show was anti-climatic. Even HTW as an encore would be fine. SSOH not so much.

I agree that GS works well as the first encore song but I think GS followed by JJF is such a strong combo. GS is a gloomy song that ends on a hopeful note while JJF is a song about overcoming Hardships. So they flow really well musically and thematically. You could make JJF the show closer but I think it works better as the main set closer while Satisfaction closes out the show.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2024 03:54

frankotero
traclefingers
Well if we're going there...then my hoped for replacement would be HYSYMBSITS...just an awesome cacophony of joy.

treacle, I'll see your HYSYMBSITS, and raise it with Silver Train.winking smiley

If you're gonna play Silver Train, then you may as well go "ALL IN" instead with "All Down The Line"?

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: May 1, 2024 05:13

So. come on Keith and Mick,
why no "Let it Loose" after SSOH? That would be the greatest Encore of all time!
(Sorry I'm drunk, but I would love to hear it)

It`s nice to be here, .....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 20 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home