Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 19 of 22
Re: Houston TX USA show live updates - Sunday April 28, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: April 30, 2024 07:35

jahisnotdead
I'm loving Shonana's videos on YouTube. It feels like I'm right there. The audio is good too.

All the songs I've heard have been good so far. A few little flaws here and there, but the good far outweighs the bad. Keith killed Little T & A. Total winner there. He wasn't running around and posing, totally understandable even if he wasn't sick, but he was focused and I liked his playing.

Mick looks and sounds great. As others have said he's a little flat on Angry, but it was awesome hearing the audience respond to the song and sing along immediately. I thought his singing during the rest of the show was really good, Get Off My Cloud and Out Of Time especially. I liked the face off with Bernard on Beast Of Burden.

Miss You sounded good stripped down in some ways but also more elaborate with a different bass solo from Darryl. It was fun watching Mick body check him!

Thanks for the heads up, very enjoyable videos, they have a Matt Lee feeling to them!

Re: Houston TX USA show live updates - Sunday April 28, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Date: April 30, 2024 07:46

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: April 30, 2024 07:56

DiegoGlimmerStones

[www.instagram.com]

I think I saw someone on Facebook say they bought that same belt buckle at a shop across the street from the stadium.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: April 30, 2024 09:28

As BoB was in the rehearsal setlist on the 26th (marked as Vote Song), can we assume that the Vote is either rigged or open only for a very short time?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 10:01

Papo
As BoB was in the rehearsal setlist on the 26th (marked as Vote Song), can we assume that the Vote is either rigged or open only for a very short time?

Or it was already in pole position and they just rehearsed it?

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 30, 2024 11:07

My takeaway from listening to most of the footage available, ( not being there ) is that this doesn't sound like a guitar band this year, the guitars just don't penetrate enough to make impact, possibly to not drown out Mick's vocals. As i say i know it's different when you are actually at the venue in person so apologies if I've got it wrong.
The new tracks sound like the guitars are too weak especially, and as for Mick's voice ( the elephant in the room ) it sounds vulnerable, hope I'm wrong but if it lasts to show number 10 without a rest ( possible postponed shows ) I'd be pleasantly surprised.
You can see why they only play 1.5 shows per week, rest is vital.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 12:18 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 30, 2024 11:23

Halup
Midnight Rambler was rehearsed at least once in Los Angeles, so it’s not necessarily out for the tour.

After Out Of Time being played every night for Sixty, I don’t see it being an every night song this tour. After it ended, Mick said something to the effect of “I see you don’t know that one”. It didn’t get the crowd participation that it did nightly in Europe.

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Take a look at the chart details on Wikipedia. The Chris Farlowe version of Out Of Time was No.1 in the UK and made the top 20 in several other countries, but never got above no.122 in the USA. The Stones version wasn't a single at all. Mick's right: most of them don't know it, so if it keeps falling flat I wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 30, 2024 11:24

U2Stonesfan
DiegoGlimmerStones

[www.instagram.com]

I think I saw someone on Facebook say they bought that same belt buckle at a shop across the street from the stadium.

@Cavender's

[www.cavenders.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 30, 2024 12:30

Green Lady

Mick's right: most of them don't know it, so if it keeps falling flat I wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped.

But they should know it from 'More Hot Rocks' which was in 1972 at #9 in the US-Charts. The RS 'Out of Time' Single was at #81 in August 1975 in the US-Charts according to the RS discography on [en.Wikipedia.org] .

RS 'Out of Time' is also part of the US-Platinum certified 1989 'Singles Collection (London Years)' as well as the 'Singles 1968–1971' box set. The 'Metamorphosis' LP was in 1975 at #8 in the US-Charts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 12:55 by Irix.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 30, 2024 12:32

rebelhipi
What a moment to be a Stones fan!

Personally i dont mind not having Rambler on the set. Its been played at every show since 2012. It can rest for a while.

If Keith was sick. What a trooper, didnt slow him down at all.

Cant wait to see them in Chicago

He didn't look sick to me. I think it is just part of the shorter setlist due to their age.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 30, 2024 12:41

The rehearsal setlist had TMS so something happened for them to remove it from the setlist...issues for Keith (can't see any evidence of that on the videos?) or weather (covered stadium, so...), etc...

And yes the "Vote" is RIGGED ! Has been since it was first introduced in 1994 ;-)

Musicwinn
gotdablouse
Been going through "Fake Fan"s videos on YT ant they are absolutely stunning. I'd rank them as among the best ever and certainly the next best thing after being in the pit. Apart from the nearly obligatory Keithgate incident in the SMU intro I found the boys to be in fine fettle with a slightly different, edgier sound, might be the video of course but for once the bass stands out.

Not enough HD songs of course but MIU was nice and groovy, more so than on the album, some difficult passages to sing but Mick pulled through. Was disappointed not to see Mick strap on a guitar for Angry one to beef up the sound and...he does exactly that at the end, has to be a first? SSOH worked great with a Chanel that delivered as expected. Her voice is so wonderful, both deep and high, and so soulful.

Stunning overall !

Also during Just My Imagination Mick started playing the guitar halfway through the song, so it's rare but not the first time. Just My Imagination - 2006 - live

Thanks, had completely forgotten about that, Mick straps on at 2'33" there. As a side note it's a bit "painful" to see a "recent" video and see how much more fluid everything was, well Keith mostly. Probably the last tour where you didn't "worry" about something going wrong with his playing. A bit like walking with your ageing parents in the street and worrying they might trip, something you'd never thought you'd have to do...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 19:54 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 30, 2024 13:09

Green Lady

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Take a look at the chart details on Wikipedia. The Chris Farlowe version of Out Of Time was No.1 in the UK and made the top 20 in several other countries, but never got above no.122 in the USA. The Stones version wasn't a single at all. Mick's right: most of them don't know it, so if it keeps falling flat I wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped.

And perhaps the main compiler of the setlists - Chuckster - should be told his services are no longer needed. That would boost the vivacity of the band no-end!!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 30, 2024 13:34

CaptainCorella
Green Lady

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

And perhaps the main compiler of the setlists - Chuckster - should be told his services are no longer needed. That would boost the vivacity of the band no-end!!

I'm pretty sure that part of his «job» was cut off years ago.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 30, 2024 16:14

Green Lady
Halup
Midnight Rambler was rehearsed at least once in Los Angeles, so it’s not necessarily out for the tour.

After Out Of Time being played every night for Sixty, I don’t see it being an every night song this tour. After it ended, Mick said something to the effect of “I see you don’t know that one”. It didn’t get the crowd participation that it did nightly in Europe.

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Metamorphosis' version of Out Of Time reached #81 in August 1975 in the Billboard Hot 100.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 30, 2024 16:20

georgelicks
Green Lady
Halup

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Metamorphosis' version of Out Of Time reached #81 in August 1975 in the Billboard Hot 100.

I actually own the US single - though admittedly didn't buy in in 1975 so can't claim to supporting it's #81 chart position.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 30, 2024 16:43

Obviously I should have done more research. But it still doesn't seem to have been the big hit in the USA that it was on this side of the pond, and a significant number of Houston people didn't know it, even if every member of IORR does. I do like OOT, but perhaps it could make way for something else from Hackney Diamonds, which will be new to audiences for a very good reason.

Posted by: TW2019 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 16:59

Saw on FB that the full show rehearsal on April 26th in Houston included Tell Me Straight in addition to T&A with a total of 19 songs fwiw

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: April 30, 2024 17:14

At one point before Keith's "set" Mick said "Keith, a lady down front has a "tell me straight" poster and then Mick started cracking up. I wonder what that was about.

Posted by: Racca1962 ()
Date: April 30, 2024 17:40

Hi All,
After the first show I read in the comments opinion from different perspectives.
I will stick to the music, and that remains speculation on my part.
Start Me Up is a great show-opener, but there are a few more options.
I expect that Angry and Mess it Up will sometimes be replaced by other songs, also from Hackney Diamonds.
In the first part, between songs 2-7 there is the possibility for songs changes. The most songs from the rehearsals fit in best there.
The Stones are no big song changers like for example Bruce Springsteen is.
I think for Keith that it remains with 1 song per show.
I have always doubted the sincerity of the “Vote-song”.
Also I guess the setlist won’t grow into 20-21 songs.
Unfortunately some greatest hits are stretched out unnecessarily long , but this happens during all the latest tours.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: April 30, 2024 17:59

I know my view is not shared by many on this board but I am not upset that they dropped MR and hope it stays dropped. While I love the song, it was far too long live in my opinion and actually ended up having a drop in crowd energy due to the length. Also, hard to play that and Sweet Sounds, another long song. To me, both as a die hard and casual fan all at once, I like more and shorter versions of songs than long drawn out versions. And yes, I am well aware they are a blues band. But Mick is well aware, as he has stated many times, he can really tell when he loses the crowd in a stadium. Long songs cause that to happen more than short hits and probably 90% or more of the fans in attendance at stadium shows want the short and fun hits, hit after hit. I am thrilled that they played some "nuggets" in Houston and hope they keep it up but for my money, they can keep MR "retired" for this tour.

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: April 30, 2024 18:08

Personally, I think Out of Time being a hit on either side of the pond is largely irrelevant UNLESS it's a song that's continued to get airplay on UK radio stations. Otherwise, we are talking about a track that only fans with a deeper knowledge of the Stones would know. And, as we all know, that's not the majority of people in a crowd of 40k to 70k.
It's a good pop song with a chorus anyone can quickly learn and sing along too. That is the appeal. If it was another 60's pop nugget without that singalong bit, I don't think it would have been played in the first place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-30 18:20 by downagain.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 30, 2024 18:17

Out of Time not being on the US version of Aftermath may be another explanation for the lack of response compared to the Euro tour.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 30, 2024 18:22

Maybe they'll replace Out Of Time with Mother's Little Helper. I'm just going to keep on wishing for this song.winking smiley

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: April 30, 2024 18:38

frankotero
Maybe they'll replace Out Of Time with Mother's Little Helper. I'm just going to keep on wishing for this song.winking smiley

Mothers Little would be awesome!!!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 30, 2024 18:55

Yes, they gave "Out of Time" a good run in Europe, so maybe they can fall back to stuff like Lets Spend The Night Together, Under My Thumb, The Last Time, Let it Bleed, Dead Flowers, IORR, Worried about You.

I can also do without another outing of Midnight Rambler, so I'm pleased those minutes are going somewhere else. Jumping Jack Flash is also quite a bore for me since 1978, but it's a staple!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 30, 2024 19:03

keefmick
I know my view is not shared by many on this board but I am not upset that they dropped MR and hope it stays dropped. While I love the song, it was far too long live in my opinion and actually ended up having a drop in crowd energy due to the length. Also, hard to play that and Sweet Sounds, another long song. To me, both as a die hard and casual fan all at once, I like more and shorter versions of songs than long drawn out versions. And yes, I am well aware they are a blues band. But Mick is well aware, as he has stated many times, he can really tell when he loses the crowd in a stadium. Long songs cause that to happen more than short hits and probably 90% or more of the fans in attendance at stadium shows want the short and fun hits, hit after hit. I am thrilled that they played some "nuggets" in Houston and hope they keep it up but for my money, they can keep MR "retired" for this tour.

At the Manchester Old Trafford show 2018, I was sitting on the opposite side from the stage, middle tier of the stand. Most if not all of the people around me seemed to be casual fans, and they were totally into Midnight Rambler during the long, heated performance was unfolding in front of our eyes. When it finished, virtually everybody rose to their feet all at once, giving one hell of a cheer to the boys. Unforgettable moment and undoubtedly the highlight of the show.

Never underestimate casual fans when it clicks with them.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 30, 2024 19:04

frankotero

Well if we're going there...then my hoped for replacement would be HYSYMBSITS...just an awesome cacophony of joy.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 30, 2024 19:06

On "Out of Time," I think I mentioned this before but OOT was on the soundtrack of the film "Once Upon a Time in LA" (2021) directed by
Tarantino. It starred Leo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 30, 2024 19:35

The Sicilian
steffialicia
Disappointed to hear that MR was not included. I'd take that over Miss You any day.

"Miss You" is clearly a chick song. "Midnight Rambler is for the fellas.

Jfc this site continues to astound me.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 30, 2024 19:51

Why come here if there was nothing of the sort ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 19 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home