Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 25
Re: Rehearsals for the Stones 2024 Tour
Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: April 20, 2024 10:42

They are really mixing it up this time! Wow!!
First tour since 2007 with no Honky Tonk Woman before introductions and omitted Midnight Rambler, probably in favor of Sweet Sounds Of Heaven.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 20, 2024 10:57

Stonesfan2146
First tour since 2007 with no Honky Tonk Woman before introductions and omitted Midnight Rambler, probably in favor of Sweet Sounds Of Heaven.

I think they tried to change it sometimes (Spielberg 2017 comes to my mind) but it never lasted. Let's see how long it will last this time.

No Rambler is completely new though. Like it that way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-20 10:57 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: April 20, 2024 11:32

StonedRambler
Stonesfan2146

I think they tried to change it sometimes (Spielberg 2017 comes to my mind) but it never lasted. Let's see how long it will last this time.

No Rambler is completely new though. Like it that way!

Oh true, I was at that show actually haha, I remember I was surprised when Miss You was played. I am curious if they might add a few songs to this setlist to make it 20-21 songs for the first night.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 20, 2024 12:10

powerage78
Will be the best show ever !

According to the same posters that think HD is best since Exile.

Date: April 20, 2024 12:18

Stonesfan2146

Speechless, Midnight Rambler is clearly the highlight of almost every show, i doubt its dropped for the reason of including a new track in its place, more likely Rambler is just too demanding physically for Mick now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 20, 2024 12:33

....maybe they dont need to rehearse it

ROCKMAN

Date: April 20, 2024 12:34

keefriffhards
Stonesfan2146

Speechless, Midnight Rambler is clearly the highlight of almost every show, i doubt its dropped for the reason of including a new track in its place, more likely Rambler is just too demanding physically for Mick now.

Honestly I think it weared out a bit during recent tours. The jam part got a bit uninspired and they just got through the motions, lasting about 10 minutes only.

I'm glad they try something new

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: April 20, 2024 12:37

keefriffhards

Nah, I think the more obvious explanation is that it's one of the 'less recognisable' warhorses, like SFM. They can't drop Satisfaction, or JJF, but they can MR. There are of course other non-essential warhorses that could be dropped, like Miss You, but Mick seems wedded to that one.

But I agree - the setlist just took a notable turn for the worse. (Don't want to start an argument/spoil anyone's fun, but I lost a lot of enthusiasm I had for the tour with that rehearsal list.)

syrel

Date: April 20, 2024 12:40

syrel
keefriffhards

Nah, I think the more obvious explanation is that it's one of the 'less recognisable' warhorses, like SFM. They can't drop Satisfaction, or JJF, but they can MR. There are of course other non-essential warhorses that could be dropped, like Miss You, but Mick seems wedded to that one.

But I agree - the setlist just took a notable turn for the worse. (Don't want to start an argument/spoil anyone's fun, but I lost a lot of enthusiasm I had for the tour with that rehearsal list.)

syrel

"Miss You" was one of their biggest hit singles

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: April 20, 2024 12:47

I think it's good that they dropped some of the warhorses. Midnight Rambler isn't really a very known tune to the general public and the die-hards always compare it to their favorite version. So, not much to loose dropping this one. (I think the decision that they dropped IORR a few tours ago was much more surprising)

I'd love to see SFM being in rotation with Paint it Black. And maybe 19th Nervous Breakdown in place of GOOMC every second night. 19th had the most juvenile energy of all of the songs, when I saw them in 2022.

But the setlist looks great and with GOOMC, Beast of Burden, Out of Time, Shattered and Little T&A, the audience already gets five fantastic gems on top of the Hackney Diamond tracks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-20 12:47 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 20, 2024 13:00

DiegoGlimmerStones
Very cool setlist tonight smileys with beer

[www.facebook.com]

let's see how many of these songs survive (the rehearsals, then the first show, etc.)

Date: April 20, 2024 13:32

StonedRambler
syrel
keefriffhards

syrel

Yes but Miss You is over done now, personally for me it's always been a bathroom break so I'm probably not the guy to get into discussion with if it's your priority song to be played, Satisfaction can surely be replaced too.

Date: April 20, 2024 13:41

keefriffhards
StonedRambler
syrel
keefriffhards

syrel

Yes but Miss You is over done now, personally for me it's always been a bathroom break so I'm probably not the guy to get into discussion with if it's your priority song to be played, Satisfaction can surely be replaced too.

Then good for you that they still play it - so you can empty your bladder in the middle of the set.

Guess your also one that leaves before Satisfaction to get out of the parking lot before anybody else?

Date: April 20, 2024 13:44

StonedRambler

I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure many casual fans would come away saying 'I wish they'd played Miss You'. I think it's more important that it's one of their two non-60s singles, so I think Mick* won't leave them out for fear of becoming a 'sixties act'.

*I'm assuming it's Mick on the basis of previous interviews/discussions, but I don't know that for sure.

syrel

Date: April 20, 2024 13:54

StonedRambler
keefriffhards
StonedRambler
syrel
keefriffhards

syrel

Then good for you that they still play it - so you can empty your bladder in the middle of the set.

Guess your also one that leaves before Satisfaction to get out of the parking lot before anybody else?

Why the attitude, I've never left a show until the end, you assume too much.
Pleased for you if you love Miss You and yeah i look at it as a bathroom break so it's all good.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: April 20, 2024 13:55

keefriffhards
StonedRambler
syrel
keefriffhards

syrel

Miss You is one of my favorite singles. From 78 - 82 it was a great life track as well. Later it became the definition of their "Vegas Style".
Only in 2006, when they played it the small stage moving into the crowd it began to live and was pure again.
But they won't drop it because of all the reasons mentioned.
And: As long, as they play Miss You, they play shows for us!

Date: April 20, 2024 14:01

I wonder if Keith's been able to pick any songs this tour, he's become the ultimate yes man over the decades.
I guess he picks two that he sings but I'm sure he insists on GS and JJF.
Thought he loved Rambler?

Date: April 20, 2024 14:05

micha063
keefriffhards
StonedRambler
syrel
keefriffhards

syrel

Miss You is one of my favorite singles. From 78 - 82 it was a great life track as well. Later it became the definition of their "Vegas Style".
Only in 2006, when they played it the small stage moving into the crowd it began to live and was pure again.

They won't drop it ?
You mean Mick won't drop it, Keith loathes it to the point of not being on stage through most of it.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 20, 2024 14:09

sf37
One glaring omission from this setlist is Midnight Rambler but I'm confident it will reappear at various times.

I wonder too about Ghost Town - do you think this one will be retired now?

good god i hope midnight rambler makes a return to the regular set!eye popping smiley

it's literally the only warhorse (can we call it a warhorse or does it transcend that classification?) i can't do without

as for ghost town i'd be very surprised if they play it again

maybe once just for fun but not a regular thing

in fact i'd personally be mildly annoyed if they were to play it in instead of a new track off hdwinking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2024 14:18

StonedRambler
keefriffhards
Stonesfan2146

Honestly I think it weared out a bit during recent tours. The jam part got a bit uninspired and they just got through the motions, lasting about 10 minutes only.

My humble opinion is that if there ever is a song that suffers from Charlie's absence, that's "Midnight Rambler". With him it was always so natural, how he interacts with the rest, especially with Keith, is simply out of this world, transcendental. With the new drummer is never the same, and the 'magic' of it never really happens. Something lacks.

But that said, that of omitting it from the regular set, as it looks like happening now, is not that big surprise. More surprising is that they have dared to play it so much for so long. Namely, like pointed here, it never been any big number among the casual fans. It something you never hear from radio, more like a cult song from the classic performances from the past. Those who know, know. Probably we hardcore fans are a bit blinded by its war horse status, taken its place there as granted. But the thing is - and why it's been there so long - it works damn well, and the band has been able to charm any audience with it, no matter do they know the song or not. There are not many songs like that.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-20 14:20 by Doxa.

Date: April 20, 2024 14:20

dont think they will skip rambler. Its the ultimate showcase of rock n roll, blues heritage and mick and keith friendship. Impressive ever time and they know it.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 20, 2024 14:24

Paul McCartney reportedly was spotted at the same rehearsal facility.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 20, 2024 14:29

bye bye johnny
Exclusive: Rolling Stones US tour set to feature iconic popstar after setlist leak

Sir Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood kick off their sold-out Hackney Diamonds Tour on April 28 at the NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. This week they were polishing songs at a venue in Burbank, LA.

"Sold-out" tour? My God, they really are reading IORR! grinning smiley

Date: April 20, 2024 14:44

Topi
Paul McCartney reportedly was spotted at the same rehearsal facility.

Topi stop trying to get spying journalists to report silly things smileys with beer

Date: April 20, 2024 14:45

keefriffhards
I guess he picks two that he sings but I'm sure he insists on GS and JJF.
I've always assumed Keith insists on TD as well as those two. He's said in the past it's one of his favourites.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: April 20, 2024 14:46

DiegoGlimmerStones
Very cool setlist tonight smileys with beer

[www.facebook.com]

I guess one or two days before the first show they will play the whole show in the stadium like they did in Madrid in 2022. We could here everything loud and clear outside.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 20, 2024 14:53

Doxa
StonedRambler
keefriffhards
Stonesfan2146

My humble opinion is that if there ever is a song that suffers from Charlie's absence, that's "Midnight Rambler". With him it was always so natural, how he interacts with the rest, especially with Keith, is simply out of this world, transcendental. With the new drummer is never the same, and the 'magic' of it never really happens. Something lacks.

But that said, that of omitting it from the regular set, as it looks like happening now, is not that big surprise. More surprising is that they have dared to play it so much for so long. Namely, like pointed here, it never been any big number among the casual fans. It something you never hear from radio, more like a cult song from the classic performances from the past. Those who know, know. Probably we hardcore fans are a bit blinded by its war horse status, taken its place there as granted. But the thing is - and why it's been there so long - it works damn well, and the band has been able to charm any audience with it, no matter do they know the song or not. There are not many songs like that.

- Doxa

I am of the opinion that Midnight Rambler needed to be dropped from the setlist a while ago. Yes, it may be a showcase of their talents, especially for casual or new paying customers, but there are versions of it I have heard over the years that have just meandered, sounding like the boys are just going through the motions. IMHO, it has worn out its welcome and has been played too much at too many shows over the years. And frankly, that is a tune that needs Charlie Watts in the drummer's chair, because he added his own particular element of swing to that song. The good news is that the Stones can now fit at least two other songs in that slot. Plus, good for them for mixing things up and maybe pursuing a fresh approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-20 14:57 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2024 14:54

keefriffhards
micha063
keefriffhards
StonedRambler
syrel
keefriffhards

syrel

They won't drop it ?
You mean Mick won't drop it, Keith loathes it to the point of not being on stage through most of it.

Your mania is getting worrisome again. It is always frightening when fans start to project too much their own ideas into their idols' minds. And then seeing them 'selling
their soul' or something. This is the Mark
Chapman route.

Besides, if you go see The Rolling Stones it is always them who perform there any given song. They will play or not play it. Who is behind any decision has no importance. Somebody - like is always the case in decision-making - does that. And then they all are behind it and do their best, being pros they are. It is stupid to project there anything else. I cannot help if the real Keith Richards - a proud member of The Rolling Stones - does not match with the ideal Keith Richards of your fancy (a solo artist of your own choice or something).

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-20 15:00 by Doxa.

Date: April 20, 2024 15:07

You really are sad Doxa, someone who sees things differently to you means they are Mark Chapman.
You carry on with your campaign mate and I'll carry on speaking my mind.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 20, 2024 15:10

syrel

Yeah, me too. The HD songs are not enough to save the day — even if they were more than four on offer.

As for warhorses, I’d take MR over MY, YCAGWYW and Satisfaction any day. One of the few songs with notable variations in their deliveries night to night when they play it live onstage, which makes it more thrilling to hear than most other songs in their concert repertoire.
That being said, they dropped MR on most of the VL and B2B shows (12/133 and 10/117, respectively) and roughly half of the Licks and ABB shows (61/116 and 75/145, respectively) so this is not the first time.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home