Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Question about Lucinda Williams' live band
Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 5, 2024 02:14

Just came back from Lucinda Williams' live show in Amsterdam. Was surprised to see former Black Crowes guitarplayer Marc Ford in her band. I really missed Stuart Mathis though. Does anybody know why he's no longer playing with Lucinda?
RnT

Re: OT: Question about Lucinda Williams' live band
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 5, 2024 03:50

She changes band members a lot tour to tour. Probably nothing more than new album, new tour, new sound.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 5, 2024 04:04

Not really. Line up has been pretty constant in recent years and the sound hasnt really changed - saw the show last January and then again last week. No idea why Mathis has left the band though.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 5, 2024 07:50

Queen Lu looks more and more fragile but is getting better and better, and I have to say she had one of the best bands on those tribute albums. Tight, tight, tight... so FULL. The Winos were a really tight band, The Clash too. I cannot name a whole lotta bands that had that sound where you feel no spaces are left empty, not for a second. Or at least, that's how it seems. The Stones was never about tightness, but you know... The Stones are from another dimension, so...

I cannot think of a more heartbreaking, and at the same time, a more uplifting tribute song as Stolen Moments. It also sounds as if it was written by Tom, Tom Petty that is. The simplicity of that song blows me away. "And I swear you're with me there / Like a prayer, you're with me there"

I knew Bob, Bob Dylan that is, appreciates her, so for a while that was enough for me. If Bob likes someone, I take that for granted. Never really felt the urge to check her out knowing that she was good, as strange as this may sound.

I have just started diving deep into her catalogue. And it has been a delight.

This artist is just so unpretentious and genuine. She is a good soul. This is something I appreciate more and more nowadays listening to upcoming star-wanna-bes.

I wanna find out more about Stuart Mathis. Curious why he is not talked about more. He's got what it takes to put a shine on any song.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: March 5, 2024 15:15

kovach
She changes band members a lot tour to tour. Probably nothing more than new album, new tour, new sound.

Did you like Marc Ford with Lucinda Williams?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 5, 2024 19:06

kovach

Nope. Her band "Buick 6" has been intact and with her for quite a long time.
There was a brief period during covid, where she & fellow Nashville resident Mathis played locally with a few other Nashville musicians filling in.
They also played on her "Lu's Jukebox" tribute albums made during lockdowns.

Am told Stuart missed this trip due to "health reasons".
Not sure the severity yet, but hopefully nothing too serious and will be back with them when they return stateside.. Hope so, great guitarist and even better guy.

Lu and Stuart with the temporary Nashville band..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 5, 2024 21:15

At the show in Dublin last week - the first night of the tour - one of the encores was Lennon & McCartney's 'I Got A Feeling'. Could be wrong, but I've never known her to play that before

Noticed from social media that immediately before the tour they had been recording at Abbey Road for a few days. Maybe there'll be a Beatles' 'Lu's Jukebox' album in the works?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 6, 2024 04:28

MisterDDDD
kovach

Nope. Her band "Buick 6" has been intact and with her for quite a long time.
There was a brief period during covid, where she & fellow Nashville resident Mathis played locally with a few other Nashville musicians filling in.
They also played on her "Lu's Jukebox" tribute albums made during lockdowns.

Am told Stuart missed this trip due to "health reasons".
Not sure the severity yet, but hopefully nothing too serious and will be back with them when they return stateside.. Hope so, great guitarist and even better guy.

Lu and Stuart with the temporary Nashville band..

Ok, I was thinking back seeing her on Sweet Old World, Car Wheels, and Essence. 3 different tours, 3 different bands. Guess things have changed.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2024 19:03

Ford's Wiki :
"Ford had a realization "light bulb" moment while the Crowes were on tour, opening for The Rolling Stones during the 1995 Voodoo Lounge Tour. "I've reached the top of the mountain. Wrong mountain, dude!".
Ford became disillusioned with the rock star dream while watching Keith Richards and Ron Wood behave like 12-year-olds in Wood's hotel suite after a show in Montpellier in 1995".

Behaving like kids is probably the reason why Keith and Ron are still alive...
Those who took the rock'n roll dream seriously and lived it the max died before the age of 40...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 8, 2024 07:12

I saw her a long time ago when Doug Pettibone was her guitarist. He could create magical sounds.

Date: March 8, 2024 09:17

Koen
I saw her a long time ago when Doug Pettibone was her guitarist. He could create magical sounds.

He is back, isn’t he?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 8, 2024 09:33

DandelionPowderman
Koen

He is back, isn’t he?

I have no idea. But that would be exciting!

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: March 8, 2024 10:20

Band for this european tour :
Lucinda Williams - lead vocals
Doug Pettibone - guitars, pedal steel, harmonica, & backing vocals
Marc Ford – guitars
David Sutton – bass & backing vocals
Butch Norton – drums & backing vocals

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 8, 2024 11:21

Koen
DandelionPowderman
Koen

He is back, isn’t he?

I have no idea. But that would be exciting!

Doug Pettibone and Marc Ford gel well on this tour. Doug plays most of the lead work with Marc mainly letting rip on blues based progressions. Was particularly impressed by Doug's pedal steel playing this time round ( in Dublin).

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 8, 2024 11:46

The show in London last week was excellent and the two guitars were exquisite and blenging well together. I always thought Doug Pettibone is THE Lucinda guitarist.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 9, 2024 15:40

Thanks for all the comments.
Pettibone is on many of her records ofcourse and was in the band in 2013 for the European tour. In 2016 and 2017 she toured here with Mathis as her guitarplayer. He’s a very intuitive player and I really enjoyed his playing.In 2023 she had both Doug Pettibone and Stuart Mathis in the band. I hope Stuart’s well.

RnT

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 10, 2024 00:41

Koen

Doug was by far the best guitarist Lu has had

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 11, 2024 23:56

Woz
Koen

Doug was by far the best guitarist Lu has had

Agree

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: March 12, 2024 15:12

Was in Paris last saturday.
The sound in La Cigale was amazing.
Both Doug and Marc played solos and even duos.
I knew Doug but Marc Ford was very impressive too.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: March 15, 2024 15:32

Saw Lou and the band yesterday in Bern, Switzerland. Absolute stunning sound, and very impressive guitarwork by both Doug and Marc. Doug played mostly on a Tele, lots of rhythm-playing, and wonderful pedalsteel, while Marc played a LP-Type guitar, many solos, and also cool slide licks and solos. On some songs they soloed together, reaching absolute highs (eg Joy) I love two-guitar bands !
And Lou's singing was very strong, present and precise. A wonderful concert thumbs up.

Resotele

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home