Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Could ABKCO remix their RS catalog?
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 23, 2024 01:13

I think the 3 albums which need a remix where the instruments can all be heard clearly are IORR album, Ladies and Gentleman , and Between the Buttons

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 23, 2024 05:23

between the buttons!?eye popping smiley

what your issue with that one's mix?

mono or stereo i can hear the instruments just fine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-23 05:25 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 23, 2024 10:52

You could argue that some of the very best Stones recordings are those where you can't hear all of the instruments clearly all of the time.

It's the the layering and weaving of the individual tracks coming together for an effect far greater than the sum of the parts.

Date: February 23, 2024 12:41

So few instruments to mix (early ABKCO releases). And adding new effects on those four tracks won't really improve it either, imo.

If so, they could have worked with the latter releases, like BTB, TSMR, BB or LIB, but they already sound good.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 23, 2024 12:54

I wouldn't mind hearing Get Yer-Ya-Ya's Out full concert in the same quality as those bonus tracks on the re-issue. That would bake my cake!

Date: February 23, 2024 13:35

frankotero
I wouldn't mind hearing Get Yer-Ya-Ya's Out full concert in the same quality as those bonus tracks on the re-issue. That would bake my cake!

It's been a while since I listened to the anniversary release. Are you saying that the bonus tracks were the only tracks that were mixed on that release? They sound better than the others?

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 23, 2024 19:26

Massimo68
rbk
Of course ABKCO could remix their Stones catalog, but why? Would they make it sound better - or merely different?

For the same reason as the Beatles' blue and red albums: $$$$$$$ (we're talking about ABKCO winking smiley )

Announcing a new Satisfaction's stereo mix would be a magnet for press agencies.
And publicity for the launch of a new compilation.
And possibly for the entire catalog.

So, it wouldn't sound better? Only different?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 23, 2024 19:56

rbk

So, it wouldn't sound better?

You could definitely make it sound better (stereo panorama, sound quality) - if you really want it and put in the appropriate effort.

Date: February 23, 2024 22:32

Dandelion Powderman

It's been a while since I listened to the anniversary release. Are you saying that the bonus tracks were the only tracks that were mixed on that release? They sound better than the others?

Absolutely, they almost sound modern. However, I would say dial back the compression and it’s a winner!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 24, 2024 06:14

DandelionPowderman
frankotero

As I recall there were no details in regard to when those tracks were mixed. They were considered for the live album, so maybe there were as-is mixes done for them to listen to, mastered for the box, because they sound like they're pure (untampered with). Which is how GIMME SHELTER sounds - you've got absolute live versions of the songs in the movie, like Jumpin' Jack Flash's choruses being the well it's alright yeah it's alright instead of the overdubbed well it's allllllllriiiiiggghhhhhttttt.

Yet alone various guitar overdubs.

That may be what people are seeking/hoping for. I'm certainly a fan of that as well. You know, welcome to the breakfast show.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 26, 2024 10:08

You can make all these old records more "Hi-Fi" ..

...but better ?

Very rarely...and the impact of the music is often the worse for it.

Posted by: Nellcote1971 ()
Date: February 26, 2024 13:39

ProfessorWolf

Drums are all over the place on the stereo mix.

Guess that's why we have the (brilliant) mono mix.
However, I also wouldn't mind a new stereo mix with centered drums.

Also would like a Let it Bleed (the song) stereo mix with centered drums (like the rest of the album), thank you!

Date: February 26, 2024 14:14

Nellcote1971
ProfessorWolf

Also would like a Let it Bleed (the song) stereo mix with centered drums (like the rest of the album), thank you!

Mostly, they occupy one of the two channels together with the vocals winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-26 14:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 26, 2024 14:45

DandelionPowderman

Mostly, they occupy one of the two channels together with the vocals

That's what the new 'de-mixing' technology is for.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: February 26, 2024 15:18

Since I use some AI to rework audio, I haven't got to the point where I found software
that is able to separate different guitars from a mono recording into separate channels, a central issue when it comes to the Stones.

LALAL.AI, although only web based, is the only AI engine that claims to be able to
separate acoustic and electric guitars but honestly the results are not satisfying.
Separating 2 electric guitars is an issue where I haven't heard of any solution yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-26 15:20 by falo01.

Date: February 26, 2024 17:15

falo01, first it's nice to know you're still around. But an obvious question, since The Beatles have been de-mixed I would think there's technology. Maybe it's not available to the public?

Posted by: Nellcote1971 ()
Date: February 26, 2024 18:59

DandelionPowderman
Nellcote1971
ProfessorWolf

Mostly, they occupy one of the two channels together with the vocals winking smiley

Yes, sure. I'm not against panned drums per se (they work well on Btcool smiley but I'd prefer more continuity...

Date: February 26, 2024 20:45

frankotero

The Beatles have been de-mixed I would think there's technology. Maybe it's not available to the public?

From [www.RollingStone.com] about 2022 'Revolver' :

"'De-mixing' technology developed by the audio team led by Emile de la Rey at Peter Jackson’s WingNut Films Productions Ltd [...] was devised for Get Back, to separate individual Beatle voices from the audio murk of the original film footage. [Giles] Martin explains, 'There’s no one who’s getting audio even close as to what Peter Jackson’s guys can do. The funny thing, they won’t let anyone else use it [...] ' ."

Date: February 26, 2024 21:05

End of 2021: "AI-powered ‘demixing’ software is becoming increasingly popular in the industry. A new stem separation technology called Audioshake was recently announced - this is designed for rights holders who might not have access to the original stems. [...] Audioshake believes that its technology is 'the best in the industry,' and that it 'significantly outperforms all other offerings' " - [www.MusicRadar.com] . "Consumers, meanwhile, can give Hit’n’Mix: DeepRemix a try - an affordable piece of software that, similarly, is designed for breaking tracks apart - while DJs will note that Algoriddim’s Neural Mix technology in djay enables them to isolate drums, instruments and vocals in real-time" - [www.MusicRadar.com] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 26, 2024 22:35

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
rbk
Of course ABKCO could remix their Stones catalog, but why? Would they make it sound better - or merely different?

I'm not sure I even agree that it could be remixed. It seems to me that remixing entails some level of creative changing the sound of the recordings. In that case I would argue that this may not be available to ABKCO. They own the existing recording...would an 8 minute discofied remix of Satisfaction be permitted?

Probably.

OK but what I meant was, could they do this on their own, or would the boys have to be on board? I don't think they could willnilly do this but I'm prepared to stand corrected.

Date: February 26, 2024 22:48

I hope whatever Peter Jackson is doing he will spread this knowledge/technology. For example imagine hearing Robert Johnson in almost modern sound. Some will disagree but I like the idea.

Date: February 26, 2024 22:58

frankotero
falo01, first it's nice to know you're still around. But an obvious question, since The Beatles have been de-mixed I would think there's technology. Maybe it's not available to the public?

Lol, of course I'm still around, it's just that we haven't had any shows since 22, so there wasn't much to do. Of course midimannz and me will be back with a bang in April throughout the whole year ;-)

Anyway, There has been a lot of remixes from the Beatles, but if you have stereo sources, it's no big deal to create new mixes. Official Mixers usually deal with multitracks, so their job should be easy.

But I wanna talk about the bootleggers who most of the times create great mixes, way better than the official crap from Martin. But even those bootleggers sometimes create strange mixes. I guess most of us can agree that bass and drums should be centered (vocals too if there is only one main singer). But some mixes (still) have drums in one channel only or bass in one channel, while the guitar is in the other channel. I don't see any sense in doing mixes like that.
Once you have multiple guitars in one channel, you can't properly separate them yet and this is becoming a problem especially with the Stones.

Date: February 26, 2024 23:01

Great to hear from you falo01. Hello to everyone at the record fairs. I moved to Portugal so I don't know when I'll be back around there again. By the way the 2022 shows were great in my opinion. I hope you can do some of your magic on some of them. Cheers!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 26, 2024 23:57

Nellcote1971
ProfessorWolf

oh ok i guess i can see what you mean about the drums

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 27, 2024 19:20

For me I would love to hear Ladies and Gentlemen remix to make it sound more like Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out. And Voodoo Lounge has some great stuff but the mix sounds weak

Date: February 27, 2024 21:32

frankotero
I hope whatever Peter Jackson is doing he will spread this knowledge/technology. For example imagine hearing Robert Johnson in almost modern sound. Some will disagree but I like the idea.

you will laugh, I already tried to work on RJ but no chance, there is nothing to separate/improve at least not with today's technology.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-27 21:32 by falo01.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 28, 2024 01:02

I am hoping for the day when bootleg concert recordings are AI cleaned up. It hopefully will make average and poor audience recordings sound amazing

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: February 28, 2024 01:18

DrPete
I am hoping for the day when bootleg concert recordings are AI cleaned up. It hopefully will make average and poor audience recordings sound amazing

I read recently that Peter Jackson might try to do just that with the Beatles Hamburg recordings

Date: February 28, 2024 08:48

eduardoacdc
DrPete

I read recently that Peter Jackson might try to do just that with the Beatles Hamburg recordings

I hear some talks about Hamburg too, but have no idea if it makes sense.
What I did with my 2022 recordings from Brussels and Gelsenkirchen was to lower
Jordan's drums and a little bit of Mick, but these were rather minor adjustments.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 28, 2024 10:37

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
frankotero

As I recall there were no details in regard to when those tracks were mixed. They were considered for the live album, so maybe there were as-is mixes done for them to listen to, mastered for the box, because they sound like they're pure (untampered with). Which is how GIMME SHELTER sounds - you've got absolute live versions of the songs in the movie, like Jumpin' Jack Flash's choruses being the well it's alright yeah it's alright instead of the overdubbed well it's allllllllriiiiiggghhhhhttttt.

Yet alone various guitar overdubs.

That may be what people are seeking/hoping for. I'm certainly a fan of that as well. You know, welcome to the breakfast show.

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I thought the consensus was that there are no guitar overdubs on Ya Yas except possibly Taylor's guitar on Carol.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home