Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is the single Brown Sugar / Wild Horses a completely new single ?
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 9, 2024 15:01

Is the single Brown Sugar / Wild Horses a completely new single in the Single Box Volume 2?
In the CD-Box the singles 1968-1971 is the CD-Single Brown Sugar / Bitch.
The Rolling Stones never released this on their own label.

Re: Is the single Brown Sugar / Wild Horses a completely new single ?
Date: February 9, 2024 15:54

The single is also in the superdeluxe Sticky Fingers box.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: February 9, 2024 17:47

AFAIK there was never a single Brown Sugar/Wild Horses and not at all on ABKCO. The B side of Brown Suigar was Bitch (and Let It Rock). Wild Horses was an own single with Sway on the B side (the legendary alternate version).

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: February 9, 2024 18:53

if i remember correctly there was some kind of special release of this 45 in the US about 10 years ago
but surely not by ABKCO

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: February 9, 2024 19:26

The short answer is "no". However, there was never an official single release of Brown Sugar b/w Wild Horses, only as part of compilations/collections/deluxe editions.

As part of the settlement between Allen Klein/ABKCO and the Stones in the early 1970's, both Brown Sugar and Wild Horses became jointly owned by both parties.
Thus, both the Stones and ABKCO are free to use these songs in any manner and in any compilation without obtaining permission from the other. The first use of these songs in this manner was on ABKCO's "Hot Rocks" LP, released in 1971.

Both Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were also included on the first ABKCO singles compilation, "The Singles Collection-The London Years"-a 3 cd set of collected A and B sides from both the US and UK discographies.

When the relationship between ABKCO and the Stones thawed a bit in the early 2000's, 3 cooperative projects appeared:
1) an expanded 40th anniversary reissue of "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out",
2) "40 Licks", the first greatest-hits compilation to feature songs from both ABKCO and Rolling Stones owned tracks, and
3) in 2006 another ABKCO CD singles collection. This time, however, the singles were released in 3 chronological box sets, with each UK and US single included in separate picture sleeves. In those cases where the B sides differed on the US and UK releases, both were combined to create a sort of CD EP.

In the third of these CD box sets "The Singles 1968-1971", both Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were released with the appropriate B-sides: Bitch and Sway. (Sway, however, was a shortened version of the LP track and NOT the version which appeared on the original Rolling Stones Records 45RPM in 1971!) The Stones had to give permission for these B-sides to be included.

The Brown Sugar/Wild Horses single in the "Sticky Fingers" deluxe box set is a sort of souvenir, only available in this package.

Since Sway and Bitch are not included in this current vinyl box set, I guess the relationship between ABKCO and the Stones camp has chilled again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-09 19:35 by thkbeercan.

Date: February 9, 2024 19:38

thkbeercan

Since Sway and Bitch are not included in this current vinyl box set, I guess the relationship between ABKCO and the Stones camp has chilled again.

I don't think so, the Forty Licks 3 LP set is another collaboration between ABKCO and Promotone B.V (Rolling Stones Records) in 2023.

Date: February 9, 2024 19:49

UrbanSteel
thkbeercan

I don't think so, the Forty Licks 3 LP set is another collaboration between ABKCO and Promotone B.V (Rolling Stones Records) in 2023.

It may be just another new release by Universal Music who distributes both ABKCO and Rolling Stones Records.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 9, 2024 20:15

UrbanSteel

The single is also in the superdeluxe Sticky Fingers box.

2015 single also listed separately on Amazon, e.g. [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

BS/WH single, 1971 Turkish pressing - [www.Discogs.com] , [www.45cat.com] .

BS/WH/CYHMK, 3-track single, 1971, Mexico - [www.45cat.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-09 21:00 by Irix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 9, 2024 22:19

thkbeercan
When the relationship between ABKCO and the Stones thawed a bit in the early 2000's, 3 cooperative projects appeared:
1) an expanded 40th anniversary reissue of "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out",
2) "40 Licks", the first greatest-hits compilation to feature songs from both ABKCO and Rolling Stones owned tracks, and
3) in 2006 another ABKCO CD singles collection. This time, however, the singles were released in 3 chronological box sets, with each UK and US single included in separate picture sleeves. In those cases where the B sides differed on the US and UK releases, both were combined to create a sort of CD EP.
And Deluxe version of Charlie Is My Darling is missed in action as usual winking smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 10, 2024 03:59

UrbanSteel
Is the single Brown Sugar / Wild Horses a completely new single in the Single Box Volume 2?
In the CD-Box the singles 1968-1971 is the CD-Single Brown Sugar / Bitch.
The Rolling Stones never released this on their own label.

You HAVE this new singles boxset? How is it? Mine is on its way.

Rod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-10 04:00 by bitusa2012.

Date: February 10, 2024 10:46

Yes, i have it, it is great for your collection, compared to volume 1 it's a rip off.

Date: February 10, 2024 19:43

If they had at least used the alternate versions... By mistake of course again! grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2024 15:22

UrbanSteel
Yes, i have it, it is great for your collection, compared to volume 1 it's a rip off.

Why is it a rip off compared to Vol. 1? Do you mean because they included those ABKCO singles from 75?

Date: February 12, 2024 17:56

treaclefingers
UrbanSteel

Why is it a rip off compared to Vol. 1? Do you mean because they included those ABKCO singles from 75?

No, they ask 50 to 70 euro more as for volume 1.

Date: February 12, 2024 18:04

UrbanSteel
treaclefingers
UrbanSteel

No, they ask 50 to 70 euro more as for volume 1.

Well just wait, the price will drop. I think Vol 1 came out much higher originally, and still hasn't sold out which is why it's dropped. I checked the udiscovermusic sight and the price for Volume one is just a tad lower than Vol. 2 still. I think ABKCO and Amazon have dropped the price on Vol. 1.

By the Fall and certainly by Christmas the price will plummet. It's never good to buy these things when they're first released, unless they're limited to 1000 copies or so. The multicoloured vinyl MONO box set was 10000 and it's still not sold out 13 months later.

Date: February 12, 2024 19:34

treaclefingers

Well just wait, the price will drop. I think Vol 1 came out much higher originally, and still hasn't sold out which is why it's dropped. I checked the udiscovermusic sight and the price for Volume one is just a tad lower than Vol. 2 still. I think ABKCO and Amazon have dropped the price on Vol. 1.

By the Fall and certainly by Christmas the price will plummet. It's never good to buy these things when they're first released, unless they're limited to 1000 copies or so. The multicoloured vinyl MONO box set was 10000 and it's still not sold out 13 months later.

I think the starting price for volume 2 compared to volume 1 is ridiculous.

Date: February 14, 2024 17:42

UrbanSteel
treaclefingers

I think the starting price for volume 2 compared to volume 1 is ridiculous.

yeah, you got gloved!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home